Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tuners - This Might Sound Stupid But...

...tonight while playing I broke a D string on my JTV-69. The remnants of the string seem to be caught up in the tuner. Friends and myself tried in vain to get the remnants of the string out of the tuner to no avail. I've read that these are locking tuners so how the heck do they get unlocked so I can get a new D string on the guitar. I figure there's a 'voila' secret to this so I don't want to poke and prod in the tuner too much with small sharp instruments. Thanks in advance...

+1 to toneman...

You just have to loosen the thumbscrew on the underside of the tuner to release the string.

The nice thing about locking tuners is that it makes string changes a snap. You don't have to worry about having the string wrap around the tuning post. Just run the string through the hole in the post, pull it tight, tighten the thumbscrew, and tune to pitch. You're good to go then.

Thanks. You're the 2nd person to tell me that. The problem is, I have no knobs - there are (for lack of a better description) what looks like Philips screwheads where the knobs would be. I'm thinking that turning those would do the trick.

This is the only good image of the JTV-69 tuners I could find, but you should be able to turn the round part on back of the tuners. You should be able to do it by hand. You shouldn't need a screwdriver. Do your tuners look like this?

JTV69-CAR_headstock-back.jpg

The US model tuners are open so you can see the tuning gears (I have the US model). But you still don't need a screwdriver to unlock them. Did you buy the guitar used? I wonder if someone put different tuners on the guitar.

No, it's new... I special ordered the candy apple red one in January. Really like it, it makes my life a lot easier while playing... until last night when the D string broke (yes, the D string). I yanked off the string to get it out of my way (it broke at the tuner). A friend and I (not realizing they were locking tuners) poked around and broke off theother end of the string, so I've got whatever is remaining stuck in the tuner. Hopefully I can loosen it and get it out. The back side of the tuner is open and I can see the gears, so maybe there's a way that I haven't found that I can easily open it.

Toneman, those look like the tuners on the JTV59US model. The ones on the 69 are similar, but they have a thumbscrew for the locking tuner part.

ClevisB, if you special ordered your guitar, perhaps you do have the US version. It costs like more than twice the Korean model, so I don't think you could exactly order it by accident. But assuming you do have the US model, you should be able to turn the little disc on the tuner to unlock them. You should be able to just turn it by hand.

I know very little about locking tuners and have never actually used them. But it seems to me it would defeat the whole purpose to require a screwdriver (twice!) to change a string - once to remove it and again to re-lock it. Their whole purpose is to simplify and accelerate the string-changing procedure. ClevisB - there MUST be a way to do this manually, and quickly.

Silverhead: That was my thinking, that'd be silly to need a screwdriver. I must be missing something. Last night when looking at this, locking tuners never crossed my mind, so I could've overlooked the obvious, but I would hope not something like the thumbscrews. 

From the photos I've seen, my tuners look like someone forgot to add the knobs if such a thing is possible.  

• Upvote 1

I have Grover locking rotomatics on my 59 (but I put them on myself), I LOVE them!

The Grover's don't have the knob on the back, they use an internal cam mechanism which lock on the string as you turn the tuner.

Sometimes the high e gets stuck and there is a slot in the end of the tuning peg you can turn with a flat screwdriver to un-jam it.

I have only had this happen when using really light gauges.

I don't think any of the JTV guitars have come standard with these though... But it almost sounds like what you have...