Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firehawk direct to PA vs. Amp?

kimdrawlings

I'm just moving from a Vetta to Firehawk for live gigging.  How many of you go direct to the PA vs. the Firehawk/Amp approach?  I'm concerned that I may lose a little if I do not have some amp feedback interaction.  I have a stage monitor in front of me but not sure if that is the same.  Bonus is reduction in stage volume makes it easier to hear everybody.

Any feedback or suggestions?

I always like to have an amp by my side, as I have had problems in the past with soundmen screwing with the monitor mix, so I cannot hear myself.  I chose to have a clean amp by my side, which I can adjust volume on away from all other variables, and be able to crank If I get dropped out of the mix.  I have just got A Roland KC350 which seems to be working out good.  I like having the xlrs which go to our snake into front of house, while I use the 1/4" outs to go to the amp.

I am using Amp Output Mode to feed my bass to the FOH mixer rack directly - L/R 1/4" outs to dual channel direct-box. We're fortunate to have a beefy mixer rack to our Allen&Heath with inputs to spare. Really cuts down the hiss!

Our stage has wedge monitors for the vocalists. All the instruments are mixed to IEMs for each instrumentalist. No amps onstage means a higher shelf for feedback to occur, and also keeps it clean looking. The final mix from the mains goes to the line arrays and subs that are out and away.

I use a mustang amp which is similar in principle to the vetta, if you still have it I'd use that on stage by plugging into the fx return and you can still run the Firehawk xlr outs to the pa, so you can monitor yourself on stage and have great quality going to the desk

I go left/right out to the pa and feed myself back to the monitor. It helps with stage volume, I can hear what I really sound like and the singer doesn't scream over the top of my amp. Also there is not a beam of guitar like a laser shooting out into that one spot in there bar.

• 8 months later...

I always like to have an amp by my side, as I have had problems in the past with soundmen screwing with the monitor mix, so I cannot hear myself.  I chose to have a clean amp by my side, which I can adjust volume on away from all other variables, and be able to crank If I get dropped out of the mix.  I have just got A Roland KC350 which seems to be working out good.  I like having the xlrs which go to our snake into front of house, while I use the 1/4" outs to go to the amp.

So you're able to run the XLR mono out and the 1/4 inch mono out at the same time no problem?  Do you run the output mode as line or amp?

Thanks!

The KC350 is a keyboard amp - a clean amp as he said - which means it colours the sound very little. It works well as a stage monitor/amp. The FH output would be set to Line so that both the XLR and 1/4" outputs send both the PA and the KC350 the same Studio/Direct signal.

It would be different if he were using a regular guitar amp as the stage monitor.