Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500 & 500x ..fs 1-8 All As Individual Stomp Boxes? No A-d?

corywong

Hi. I'm wondering if on the HD500 and HD500x if it is possible to just have switches 1-8 ALL controlling individual stompboxes....basically i want to not have to use A,B,C,D ...i want to have 8 individual stompboxes per preset that i can turn on or off. help?!

Yes you can

http://line6.com/data/6/0a06434dc1a55085c5d6532bf/application/pdf/POD%20HD500%20Advanced%20Guide%20v2.10%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20A%20).pdf

FX & Amp Block Footswitch Assignment
Each of the FS1 through FS8 footswitches, as well as the Exp Pedal’s “Toe Switch†can 
be configured to toggle any of the FX or Amp Blocks On/Off. You can reference the 
current Preset’s FX footswitch assignments by pressing the VIEW button to display the 
Performance View screen. The assignments for FS1-FS8 will differ depending on your 
current Setup - FS Mode setting

I am hoping against hope Line 6 incorporate a more powerful DSP with the HD500x. I run separate vocal and guitar chains using the unit and being able to process a full signal chain for each, even just a preamp, compressor, reverb and delay for each would be a godsend - 8 effects simultaneously is not enough!

I am hoping against hope Line 6 incorporate a more powerful DSP with the HD500x. I run separate vocal and guitar chains using the unit and being able to process a full signal chain for each, even just a preamp, compressor, reverb and delay for each would be a godsend - 8 effects simultaneously is not enough!

you're kidding, right?

• Upvote 1

dude... it appears as if english isn't his primary language and the word "against" was added improperly...

the rest of his post says he wants more power and more slots.... 

nothing you or anyone else would object to....

seriously, your kidding, right

dude... it appears as if english isn't his primary language and the word "against" was added improperly...

the rest of his post says he wants more power and more slots.... 

nothing you or anyone else would object to....

you're kidding, right?

Hope against hope/Hoping against hope - to hope very strongly that something will happen, although you know it is not very likely (usually in continuous tenses; usually + that)

Anyway, If toneman2121 was asking if I'm serious because I want to run vocals through this thing, I want you go watch "Dub FX" on youtube - 

(P.S. Anyone got any idea on how to get that quirky rising pitch delay effect at 43 secs, in the HD500/x?)

^ My idea is that sort of looping based performance, beatbox included, but rather than just the vocals for everything, to have a baritone electric in addition. With the right setup I could then get those full crisp loops for the rhythm and harmony sections, while actually being able to change key and play more complex/rich melodies and chords. Also using an external pedal or two I could use a sustainer, octaver and LFO to get some authentic dubstep/reggae/bass synth tones (I'm pretty new to this forum, please pardon me if using the word "dubstep" as though it's perfectly acceptable is a little blasphemous). Anywho, hopefully all this results in a cohesive live sound that lets me move around more freely in a musical sense.

Ideally, I would run vocals through a Boss GT10B, guitar through the POD, and loop it all with Boss' RC300 or RC505. I could have all sorts of midi-synced rich stereo effects going on, and get totally tweaking control over each signal. You can imagine the tap dancing skills I'd need to operate that sort of rig though, and because I'm extremely white (see English x Australian), dancing is not an option. 

So, I'm trying to process guitar and vocals through the Pod HD500 with separate signal paths, which works fine (outputs correctly etc) until I start getting into the Preamps/EQ's/compressors I need to make this setup viable and sweet sounding. By the time I've got a nice vocal and guitar sound, most of my DSP is all dried up, and I haven't even mentioned the poor tweakability of the effects on board. They would, however, do the job if I had access to more of them!

Hence my actual questions

a) does anybody know how much extra processing power, if any, the POD HD500x will possess? Other upgrades?

b) Can anybody think of a better way to have such detailed control over a guitar and vocal for this sort of purpose?

Thanks for having a read!

• Upvote 1

a) does anybody know how much extra processing power, if any, the POD HD500x will possess? Other upgrades?

Early marketing material said twice as much processing power. I have no reason to believe that isn't true. But whatever it is, the HD500X's processor is more powerful than the HD500's.

• Upvote 1

people have been asking for more dsp since the release of the hd500 3 years ago. a week ago line6 released an hd 500X  with 2x the dsp. now you ask for more dsp.  :wacko:  :blink:

Early marketing material said twice as much processing power. I have no reason to believe that isn't true. But whatever it is, the HD500X's processor is more powerful than the HD500's.

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know where to look for any information related to specifics of what the HD500x will actually be capable of that the 500 doesn't do already. I'd be keen to read the info about the HD500 chip being discontinued if anyone has a link? It looks like the 500x may be a rev2 driven by the old chip being end of life.

L6, Boss, TC, everyone, take note - Guitarists will pay the big money for the product that can do the best job. If the chips you want to build in are too expensive, think about the G-system's huge price tag and have faith that your customers will choose your product if you can promise things they want, and deliver. Other technology advances so quickly, and musicians are largely being left in dust. They must have a hard enough time getting everything done on time and working solidly, let alone paying as much attention as they already do to their consumers, which is awesome commitment. A friend of mine used to be the product manager for L6 for Australia, and until a few years back they were only doing a few 100k in Australia. After he was done they were doing a few million, and he gave me some crazy stories about what goes on to get the products conceived, manufactured, tested, revised, manufactured some more, packed, shipped and priced at your local store. All up it's impressive business especially in this climate, and in the grand scheme of things, the product is amazing.

I love my Line 6 gear, have done for years, and kudos to everyone there! What I was getting at is, I'm hoping I can use more than 8 effects. If you're trying to craft complex tones, it's extremely easy to use up 8 effects on a single channel, let alone two. A nice guitar path might be Amp > EQ > Screamer > Wah > Modulation > Reverb > Delay. There's 6 blocks taken before I get to my vocal path, which needs a compressor/EQ/Reverb for what I'm doing. Now I've gone over 8 blocks, and I haven't got to my crazy effects yet (Think of sounds from bands like Ratatat).

With the Boss unit or an Axe-FX, I'm never worrying about 8 effects blocks being filled up. If you read the manual of the HD500x available on the Line 6 site, it still tells of 8 effects blocks.

http://line6.com/data/6/0a06434c6fb051e03e8ab63dc/application/pdf/POD%20HD500X%20Advanced%20Guide%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20A%20).pdf

(Page 3.1)

"2x the processing power" of the HD500 could be a misnomer for any number of things. Dropping in a more powerful chip doesn't mean you have access to 16 effects blocks and 4 amps simultaneously, unless the rest of the unit has been tweaked/programmed to support it. At least that's my understanding!

• Upvote 1

"2x the processing power" of the HD500 could be a misnomer for any number of things. Dropping in a more powerful chip doesn't mean you have access to 16 effects blocks and 4 amps simultaneously, unless the rest of the unit has been tweaked/programmed to support it. At least that's my understanding!

Got ya... You're still limited to 8 effects and 2 amps. The biggest thing the extra DSP will allow you to do is to actually have dual amp tone and still have some DSP intensive effects with it. Currently, you can't do much in the way of dual amps and complex effects. But I agree with you. I'd like to have more effects blocks as well. I don't know if 16 would be doable, but it would be nice to have 12.

Got ya... You're still limited to 8 effects and 2 amps. The biggest thing the extra DSP will allow you to do is to actually have dual amp tone and still have some DSP intensive effects with it. Currently, you can't do much in the way of dual amps and complex effects. But I agree with you. I'd like to have more effects blocks as well. I don't know if 16 would be doable, but it would be nice to have 12.

How do you mean? Like the board doesn't have enough switches for 16 effects or you think it's overkill or?

Just found this video, looks like it is a revision because of the chip. More processing power just means I might be able to put a bunch of octaves in a row; then hit my DSP. Honestly, I wonder how much it would add to the cost of producing the unit to just give me 15 damn pitch shifters in a row (not that I would ever do that unless I was feeling super sassy). Overkill with processing power is way better than underkill, which is going to leave your shoegazers with tone blue balls and a returned product. Having said that, again, I can't imagine the lollipop these people have to go through to be able to make this sort of product as good as it already is!

I'm left wondering what the function of the microphone jack was intended to be. Also, might not be the place for it but...

Anyone got any idea on how to get that quirky rising pitch delay effect at 41 secs on the MC's voice, in the HD500/x?)
  • Upvote 1