Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best way to plug Nordstage2 Keyboard

Hi all, i just bought this mixer and don't received it yet. But i read the manual !

I see that we can paire the combo input mic/line. Is it the same for the 4 Line Inputs ? Can i paire them ?

Thank you

Best regards

Philippe

Yes.

You can pair any two adjacent inputs

1+2

2+3

3+4

4+5

5+6

7+8

8+9

9+10

10+11

11+12

13+14

15+16

If you plug a jack into 13 and then select one of the stereo keyboard input presets, it will auto-assign channel 14 as part of the pair: 13 = Left, 14 = Right

Just a quick bit of advice though.... try to always use a DI box though as it will significantly reduce the risk of ground loop hum.

• Upvote 1

Our KB player uses the Nord as well, I always give him a stereo DI (well, two identical mono DI's).  But as I don't need much processing on him, I use XLR to balanced 1/4in and plug him in to 13/14.  I occasionally run him direct with unbalanced 1/4in, but that sometimes adds a bit of noise to the line.

Our KB player uses the Nord as well, I always give him a stereo DI (well, two identical mono DI's).  But as I don't need much processing on him, I use XLR to balanced 1/4in and plug him in to 13/14.  I occasionally run him direct with unbalanced 1/4in, but that sometimes adds a bit of noise to the line.

That's pretty much exactly what I do. I use a Palmer PAN04 2 channel passive DI box. Balanced XLR to balanced 1/4" TRS into 13/14. I even made up a 2 core multicore cable (using VanDamme blue series 2 channel multicore cable) for both sides of the DI box... 1/4" mono TS to 1/4" mono TS on approx. 1.5m cable length for keys to DI, then XLR-F to 1/4" TRS jacks on same cable at approx. 8.5m cable running into 13/14. Only one cable to run out that way ;-)

Very interesting ! Thank you all. I don't think about xlr-1/4 cable to use 13/14 input.it could be a good idea to keep the other xlr input for mic drum guitars....

An other question: it is not a problem to plug the output of the Di to a line input of the mixer ? No pb of impedance ?

Sorry for probably basics questions !

Very interesting ! Thank you all. I don't think about xlr-1/4 cable to use 13/14 input.it could be a good idea to keep the other xlr input for mic drum guitars....

An other question: it is not a problem to plug the output of the Di to a line input of the mixer ? No pb of impedance ?

Sorry for probably basics questions !

I've had no issues; the signal going to me is loud enough to where I don't need to boost it too much with what would be the mic pre's, and as far as I know the only difference between the signal chain is the mic pre's and the simpler DSP (not as many options for compression/eq/etc).  I could be wrong, but it works well for me

13, 14, 15 and 16 are still balanced inputs, and have switching pre's though, to my knowledge, the pre's are not quite the sophisticated burr browns that feature on 1-12 so, yes, you can safely insert a balanced input into 13-16 and not have to worry about it not being a "line" level signal.

As eklynx has pointed out though, 13-16 do not feature such extensive DSP chains but as the commonest signals placed into 13-16 are DI style, keyboard etc inputs and not vocal mics, this is rarely (if at all) an issue.

I typically use 13/14 as a keys stereo pair and 15 for bass DI. 16 rarely gets used though one of the bands I regularly work with, the keys player is talking about getting a second k/b so I imagine it won't belong before 16 is being used!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I plug my keyboard in as follows,

Keyboard out mono through DI box into L3t mixer channel, I have been using the - pad, but on my last gig I didn't and I think the sound is much more solid, clearer with more ooph. So is it rule of thumb to always pad a keyboard into l3t or is it a personal choice thing? I didn't suffer any distortion or clipping.

Thank you for you anticipated advice.

Leigh

If you're using a DI box, the line level signal from your keyboard is [normally] already converted to a mic level signal, and as such PAD isn't required.

Experiment though. Different DI boxes may have different output levels.

I know the DI's I use have a -30db switch on them, but I don't use it with keys.