Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firehawk FX - Finding It's True Use

twjonckheere

To start, I have been using a M13 for years and love it. Of course with that unit you setup a scene and turn pedals off and on as needed during a song.  

Now getting to my new Firehawk FX unit. I originally tried to treat it like my M13. I would setup a scene with a clean amp and then turn pedals on and off as needed. This way I could have a clean sound and then pop on the distortion with a pedal and so forth. However, with this came a few issues. First of all, the switching of pedals requires the second row. This means I have to be very careful when changing them since I may accidentally change into a different model instead (and I have done this a few times). The second reason is that the sound is not quite what I want (I'm just picky). Which leads me to the next idea I had....

I thought, this is a "sound model" and not a stomp box model. So why not just setup models for every sound I want. Then I could have the perfect clean sound (with a specific amp, cab, etc), perfect classic distortion (marshall distorted, 75's, etc), and a perfect heavy distortion (treadplate, etc). Plus all of my stomps would be on the bottom row and there wouldn't be a high risk of hitting the wrong pedal. Perfect!

However... When I switch models there is a big and noticeable delay and ramp up of sound. I'm assuming it's because the model has to be loaded each time. Obviously this won't cut it on stage and is a big issue.

Any ideas of the best way to use the box? If the delay + ramp up could be eliminated I'd have the perfect setup with option 2.

Thanks.

Assuming that you have the latest firmware and app installed (the update did reduce lag to a degree) then all you can really do is hang on in there like the rest of us, we're all waiting for this issue to be resolved and it's currently being worked on by line 6

It seems like this would be a thing they would have solved before throwing the unit out the door. It was an issue with the HD500 as well when it first came out and people were upset because of it. Good companies learn from their mistakes.

I changed the 3 rubber feet on the bottom back edge to feet that were 7/16" tall (screws had to be changed to m3x10 .50 pitch. I also popped out the washers on the smaller feet and used them on the taller ones). This mod places the presentation of the second row on a more accessible plane. I no longer have that foot switch issue. 2minutes and 3bucks, problem solved!

I'm hoping Line 6 can update the FireHawk Firmware so it has more controls on its USB Audio connections.

My goal is use FireHawk as a clean 24 bit Audio Interface for iPad running third party Amp sims.

(Same as I currently do with a 10 year old Digitech GNX3000)

With luck the FireHawk foot pedals transmit MIDI messages via the USB Class Compliant interface  - but not holding my breath.

Should know next week when my Firehawk arrives! 

I don't think the Firehawk has any MIDI capability via USB. The only thing the USB is used for in Firehawk is firmware updates and recording. The Firehawk app (editor) uses Bluetooth on mobile devices, not USB. It's not like the POD HD device editors which run on PCs and use midi-over-USB to communicate with the device.

But I could be completely wrong here. It's just that I've not heard any mention of MIDI with Firehawk. Let us know if you find that the footswitches can trigger midi events in a DAW.

With luck the FireHawk foot pedals transmit MIDI messages via the USB Class Compliant interface  - but not holding my breath.

I have not seen any documentation about this, but I could try it out.

My other "trick" I hope to pursue:

I'm looking at creating a break out box  mod to provide the missing MIDI Out ( to allow Firehawk control other gear)  via the Variax VDI jack 

1379550330_1730800789_VariaxmidiAES.jpg

1422638952_471776840_Variax_Midi2.jpg

The Firehawk app (editor) uses Bluetooth on mobile devices

I'm hoping if I launch an IOS MIDI Monitor ( like MIDI Wrench, etc.) and then launch the  Firehawk Remote on iPad, hopefully I can "see" some MIDI messages being exchanged on the iPad.   I suppose my dream would be to use the Firehawk hardware as a remote controller / audio interface for BIAS, Amplitube, and be able to control using any available MIDI messages.  

We live in an era where a 24 bit Audio USB Class Compliant Foot pedal with MIDI I/O would sell big time IMHO. 

I changed the 3 rubber feet on the bottom back edge to feet that were 7/16" tall (screws had to be changed to m3x10 .50 pitch. I also popped out the washers on the smaller feet and used them on the taller ones). This mod places the presentation of the second row on a more accessible plane. I no longer have that foot switch issue. 2minutes and 3bucks, problem solved!

I've just done the same after reading this, except I put the bigger feet on the back edge of the flightcase its now in - it makes a huge difference to the accessibility of the back row. 

Great idea!

FWIW - I ordered these to mount on bottom Rear of the Firehawk 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C100Y80?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Set of 4 Med-Small Rubber Feet For Speakers, Amps, Pedalboards, ETC. 11/16" Diam. 13/32" Tall Penn-Elcom F1694

21K5F5mFuoL.jpg

Vote!

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Firehawk-FX-USB-Re-Amp-Feature-+-MIDI-control-message-over-USB/727710-23508?submitted=1

I want a USB "Re-Amp" capability - with the ability to set the USB Send and USB receive points at any point in the signal path:

the major benefit is Firehawk FX sales would triple if it could be used as a platform for running IOS Guitar FX (NOI.ise FLUX:FX, Johnny tremolo, etc) .

I seek this type flexibility for the USB Audio connection in Firehawk:

1434484933_1617870000_Firehawk_FX_USB_Id

+ Add ability for Firehawk to transmit over USB some basic MIDI Patch change messages and MIDI CC# messages over its existing USB 2.0 Class Compliant interface - and everyone wins!

• Upvote 1