Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod HD & Soundcards

Giorgos02

Hey guys, I don't know if this subject has been discussed before, but I just wanted to know how many of you have tried recording both with the Pod and with an external sound card.

Is there any big difference in the audio quality? Does it worth the money if I invest 170 euros for a decent sound card such as the scarlett 2i4?

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, I don't know if this subject has been discussed before, but I just wanted to know how many of you have tried recording both with the Pod and with an external sound card.

Is there any big difference in the audio quality? Does it worth the money if I invest 170 euros for a decent sound card such as the scarlett 2i4?

Thanks in advance.

I just use the HD500 or one of the other I have such as the X3 Pro, KB37 Studio, or UX2 TonePort via USB into the 'puter when I record. But today I played around with $15 Logitech Dynamic USB mic into the 'puter just for fun. For me running one of the Line 6 AISO devices via USB into the 'puter is better.

• Upvote 1

Thanks in advance.

As far as audio quality, I would say, generally, no, no difference. But the more points of connection between the pod and computer might mean more conversions (depending on the type of connections used), which might affect audio quality; whether or not that's perceivable...

I've used the pod as the interface, via usb, to record into Reaper, and it works just fine and provides the best possible quality. Just don't turn the pod off with the DAW still open or it might cause a hard lock or your system, if you use Windows.

My favorite way is to use, not an external interface like your suggesting, but an internal add in soundcard with ASIO and a digital input. Then I take the digital out from the pod to the soundcard. No conversions in between. This also lifts the reliance on the pod for system audio, if you happen to use your computer for other things besides studio work. And you can now turn the pod off without worrying about a system lock.

• Upvote 1

System hard lock? What do you mean with that?

It means the system will lock up. The only way to fix it is the reset or power button. I remember two, maybe three years ago, it caused a blue screen. But newer versions of Reaper, different computer hardware, and seemingly endless windows updates, now causes a hard lock.

It could also be that it's something unique to reaper, I don't know. Might not happen with other DAWs.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOH THATS THE REASON WHY MY COMPUTER'S INTERNAL SOUND CARD STOPS WORKING AND CRUSHES WHEN I TURN OFF THE POD WITHOUT EXIT THE REAPER. F@CK. IS THAT REALLY THE REASON??

That actually sounds like something else. A crash occurs when using the POD's ASIO drivers in Reaper and the POD loses power, but if your internal sound card (motherboard? or add in?) stops working when you turn the POD off while Reaper is running, I'm not sure at all what that could be about.

I used to use the POD as my interface, but it kept causing Windows blue screen crashes.  I scoured the forum to try to find a fix for that, but nothing I tried helped.  I finally broke down and bought an external sound card.

I'm not sure about the sound quality yet.  Sometimes I think it's worse, other times I think it's the same.  I have noticed several advantages, though.  1) my computer doesn't crash anymore.  That's the big one.  2) I can use a powered studio mic without adding another piece of equipment into the mix.  3) I can use the master volume on the POD to control the final signal level in my recording.

Getting rid of the system crashes made it worth it to me.  Whenever I had someone over to record, it was a huge pain to see the blue screen and realize that I lot everything we recorded since my last save.  That's heartbreaking.

Really weird, because I never crash when recording with the Pod HD (bean)

But I configure the audio devices on Windows (with the POD ON)

Realtek as DEFAULT for listen & recording (I mean the default audio of the PC)

and let the device listen & recording of the POD ON (don't deactived)

So into reaper or Cubase set the ASio of the POD HD as default

Like this When you open Reaper you can record with the Pod,Reaper switch on the Pod Asio

If you close the Pod or reaper , it come back to the realtek audio device of the pc automaticaly

And take care too if you have a Webcam  (recording) runing on at the same time , you better deactived it 

• Upvote 1