Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Newbie to the vetta 2 range!!!

jak_E_lee

Just bought a used vetta2 hd combo recently

Im familiar with modelling amps as I ran a line6 spider4 150 head for the past 3 years but what I am unsure of is how to change/add patches into the memory of the vetta.On the spider it was simple usb cable to the fbv express pedal and spider 4 edit or customtone,easy.

How does the vetta work and where can I find some patches?

I have a win 8 pc installed with l6 monkey.

What leads do I need and where do these connect on the amp.

also got rid of my express pedal and have a full longboard.

Reckon I got a good deal,amp,longboard and a proper flight case on wheels for £380 uk.

Also trying to figure out how old this amp is.Seems to work well and sounds unreal!

I've owned my Vetta II combo since 2004.  I even have the DT25 but my Vetta isn't going anywhere soon.  First, I'd recommend the manual, addendum and preset chart, which are available here:

http://line6.com/support/manuals/vettaii/

The longboard connects to the amp with an ethernet cable.  I run my regular guitars into the input and my Variax guitar into the VDI port.  That should be all.

You can find patches on custom tone here:

http://line6.com/customtone/browse/vettaii/

Enjoy, it's a great amp!!!

sorry,i have kind of got lost in translation buddy

I know yeah the Ethernet cable pedal to amp its the laptop to amp im unsure of to upload new patches to the amp,is it through a midi cable and what exact type of cable do I need?

The spider amps were simple,you simply hooked up the pedal to the amp with Ethernet cable then a printer cable,from the laptop into an extra socket on the fbv express pedal and then straight to customtone,the line 6 patch download site,thats how spiders work.

Just confused as the longboard does not have the 2 sockets the way my express pedal had.

Pretty sure once I have the right cable I will be able to get these patches uploaded.

Is it possible to share patches that for example,a patch I create on the amp,is it possible to put that patch online for others to use?

Also,does anyone know anything about the website vettaville?

One last thing,are there any sites that show a visual to simply dial a good tone into the amp as opposed to downloading a tone?

Only got this amp yesterday and its blown me away.Sound quality is a massive leap from the spider 4-150 head and cab I had been using

thanks

sorry,i have kind of got lost in translation buddy

I know yeah the Ethernet cable pedal to amp its the laptop to amp im unsure of to upload new patches to the amp,is it through a midi cable and what exact type of cable do I need?

Ok, you'll need to go through MIDI and use Line 6 Edit to accomplish that.  If you're existing sound card has MIDI, it might work.  Most folks, myself included, have had success with the Midisport Uno, which costs around $40 US.  Line 6 Edit makes it easy to edit, save and transfer patches.  

The spider amps were simple,you simply hooked up the pedal to the amp with Ethernet cable then a printer cable,from the laptop into an extra socket on the fbv express pedal and then straight to customtone,the line 6 patch download site,thats how spiders work.

Just confused as the longboard does not have the 2 sockets the way my express pedal had.

Pretty sure once I have the right cable I will be able to get these patches uploaded.

Is it possible to share patches that for example,a patch I create on the amp,is it possible to put that patch online for others to use?

You can share patches via CustomTone here on the Line 6 website.

Also,does anyone know anything about the website vettaville?

There is a lot of useful information on Vettaville and there are also patches that you can download.

One last thing,are there any sites that show a visual to simply dial a good tone into the amp as opposed to downloading a tone?

There are some decent videos on Youtube to help with dialing in a tone.  

Only got this amp yesterday and its blown me away.Sound quality is a massive leap from the spider 4-150 head and cab I had been using

thanks

Once you figure out the MIDI connection, I would be happy to share some of my favorite tones, which were created by other users.

Good luck.

cheers bud,il check this all out..

My reason for sticking with modelling amps(I was soo close to buying a bugera trirec but circumstances changed!),I play in a hard rock cover band and my spider was loaded with metal tones from 80s guitar heroes,just like jake e lee/ozzy era but now,I have taken a second position within a wedding band.It plays a lot of country stuff so I need amp versatility as im going to be after a few twangy tele sounds and can devote the amps memory to both bands.

Looking fwd to havin fun with the amp.

Is there any clue on the amp serial number that would suggest how old this amp is?

thanks

Looked at my amp serial number Darell and its a smaller number than your amp so I suspect its an 02-03 amp.

Any good amp models Darrel to dial in a good metal tone?

I set it up last night using jcm900 dist.Real good rock sound but I just need something a bit more metal,not anything like a slayer sound but maybe a kinda megadeth/marty friedman kind of sound,cheers

Hey all, I just got my used Vetta yesterday! I am completely new to the concept, so please be gentle with me...:-) Is there a site or forum in which users share their settings for certain players/songs? This amp is going to be my only amp, and I am excited about getting used to it. It is very complex though, and I know it will take a while to learn what it can do for me. Thanks for any recommendations to a new modeling amp user (no experience). I'd love to hear your recommendations on how to best learn it and your suggestions on setting it up! Thanks! Steve

I suggest sitting down and giving the Pilot's Manual a a good read though. It's well written and even entertaining. It helps to have the amp right there in front of you so you can diddle as you read. It's a very flexible amp so the complexity is naturally a part of all that flexibility. After a while you'll get the hang of it.  

As for web sites about the best out there is http://www.vettaville.nl/ . Although a lot of the links are broken now as they went to pics on the old Geocities website which is now gone, there is still a lot of useful info, and even some patches there concerning your Vetta. 

Welcome to the Vetta community. I still think as do some others that it was one of the best amps ever made and is still head and shoulders above anything that Line6 produces today.

Hey all, I just got my used Vetta yesterday! I am completely new to the concept, so please be gentle with me...:-) Is there a site or forum in which users share their settings for certain players/songs? This amp is going to be my only amp, and I am excited about getting used to it. It is very complex though, and I know it will take a while to learn what it can do for me. Thanks for any recommendations to a new modeling amp user (no experience). I'd love to hear your recommendations on how to best learn it and your suggestions on setting it up! Thanks! Steve

• Upvote 1

Im fortunate that I cut my teeth on spider 4s so its give me a good understanding on them but I would say the vetta is much easier to navigate through all the settings as opposed to the spider 4.

Don't get me wrong,spiders are a great amp and mine served me well but this vetta 2,the tone quality and actual likeness to the modelled amps is close.

The thing has a valve feel if you get those dials tweaked nicely and it will do any tone you want.

For now,im steering clear of tone downloads and working on my own knowledge.

My advice would be select an amp model(I set both amps the same in amp 1 and amp2) and all my eq at 12 oclock position and worked from there.

I did a nice patch on the jcm900 marshall dist amp model with drive around 3 oclock,bass around 1 oclock,mids around 11 oclock and treble around 2 oclock.

This was really giving me a good tone,a little reminiscence of a thin lizzy tone.Guitar I used is a Jackson SDX Adrian smith.

My stomps I set stomp 1 sine chorus,stomp 2 boss od pedal,stomp 3 digi delay. These I have yet to refine as im getting heaps of unwanted background interference when using the boss od stomp.A noise gate will probably cure it or less drive on the modelled amp..unsure until I try it all out again but so far for me..a cracking amp!

Looked at my amp serial number Darell and its a smaller number than your amp so I suspect its an 02-03 amp.

Any good amp models Darrel to dial in a good metal tone?

I set it up last night using jcm900 dist.Real good rock sound but I just need something a bit more metal,not anything like a slayer sound but maybe a kinda megadeth/marty friedman kind of sound,cheers

I'll take a look at what I've got and get back to you.  Most of my patches were downloaded from CustomTone.  As for amps, the Line 6 Big Bottom is awesome.  They even brought it to the HD500X in the latest model packs.  If you'd like some patches, pm me an email address and I'll share a Dropbox folder with 1665 of them.  Patches are small so they only take up 8.31 MB total.  Same goes for you oirfideach.

• Upvote 1

This is the set up I gave £380 for.

Long board,flight case and amp.

Yeah Darell,those patches.If you had some good rock and metal tones that would be great but I need to get a midi lead.

Are the cheaper ones on ebay up to the job or waste of money?

also,how many patches is it possible to store on a vetta?

post-1404052-0-43706500-1434475211_thumb.jpg

Waste of money. Don't muck about with this. get the cable recommended by Line6 and everyone else, the M Audio Uno.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/view/uno

It's just not worth the aggrivation or worse the risk of bricking your amp for a couple of bucks saved on silly MIDI interface cable.

BTW some have complained of problems with later OS, Win7 etc. too.

This is the set up I gave £380 for.

Long board,flight case and amp.

Yeah Darell,those patches.If you had some good rock and metal tones that would be great but I need to get a midi lead.

Are the cheaper ones on ebay up to the job or waste of money?

also,how many patches is it possible to store on a vetta?

I agree, don't skimp on the midi interface; go with m-audio.

There are 128 patch location on the Vetta II; 64 factory and 64 user, all of which you can overwrite.

Looks like you got a decent deal on your gear.  

I've heard of people having problems with Win7 so I'd imagine Win8 may pose some difficulty too. Especially since Line6 isn't doing anything to keep the amp current or software.

Worst case you could find an old laptop running XP,for cheap or even free and dedicate it to your amp.  XP is known to work with the Line6 stuff and Vetta, 

you reckon win8 laptops will be vetta compatible?

So....Took the vetta for its first proper outing over the weekend in a live gig situation.

Our band,its a 4 piece rock/metal band.I had the vetta,other guitarist has a mesa boogie dual rec and he uses a line 6 x3 live floor pedal.

Both amp,this was the first outing.

I had the vetta running both amps identical on a jcm 900 marshall and metal z distortion on stomp box 2 which I used all night.

It went without fault and was sounding great.

The only horror story...we were playing upstairs above a bar in the function room.After the gig I put the vetta inside its flight case and me an a pal carried it to the car and set it on the ground to open the boot of the car.

I grabbed one handle of the flight case,my pal took the other and horror..ARRGH!

The case decides to open 4 inches off the ground,vetta still attatched to base of case hits the deck.(see photo)

Got home ,tested it and all seems fine so no damage,phew.

Gonna create more patches now and maybe run 2 different amps in this thing to see how it goes

post-1404052-0-51059700-1435000091_thumb.jpg

I reckon darell there is a couple of duff latches on one side as there seems to be no stopping point when I turn the latch unlike the other side of the case so 2 new latches to get and for extra security...a pair of ratchet straps will be bought to go over the whole case.

There were 2 very small nicks in the tolex of the amp but 15 mins with a glue gun and black perma marker has a pretty nice repair done.

Im well pleased with this amp and I had kinda made my mind up a month ago to buy a bugera trirec amp,glad I didn't now.

Oh dear...disaster.I thought my amp got away unscathed in the accident last weekend but...its working fine but the base of the cab has a 3 inch gash with the impact when it fell! This in turn,when I look at it straight on,the base has a significant rise around the middle making the speaker grill material sag,its not a nice tight snug fit like it was when I got the amp.

Now,anyone know how I can fix this? will post photos later.

Gutted is too small a word!

post-1404052-0-21145900-1435339965_thumb.jpg

post-1404052-0-99500800-1435340002_thumb.jpg