Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500x clean/dirty/lead global delay

bobsbro

hey, I'm an extremely happy hd400 user. My setup is guitar into hd400 with line 6 dl4 in the effects loop. Straight into the power amp section of a crate power block.

Looking to possibly upgrade to hd500x. Main reason being, is that it looks to me like you can set it to use multiple amps in one patch. Meaning that I can have a clean tone, assign a tubescreamer to a pedal to come on and off to give me a driven tone, and switch to a lead channel to give me a driven lead tone.

The plus to this is that I can have one patch with one global delay, so I don't have to re set my tap tempo when I change sound.

Am I right, or am I not?

You can set up two separate paths using two different amps within one patch. You can still only add another 8 fx blocks in total divided in whatever order you like between the 2 paths. However, there is only a finite amount of DSP and it is not sufficient to run every possible combination of amps plus 8 fx at one time. The unit won't allow you to allocate more DSP than is available so you will get a warning message when you attempt a combination that pushes it over the limit. The amps all use varying degrees of DSP, and so do the fx, so you can pick models that have lower DSP needs and maybe use all fx slots. Each category has a range of models to choose from, so just mix and match. With the new optional purchase HD fully loaded amp bundle there are a number of XT/X3 amp models that use less DSP than the new HD models, so there is plenty of choice. Bottom line, don't expect to be able to do everything you can think of with double amp patches, be prepared to experiment and compromise within the hardware limitations of the unit. If you only use one or two fx with your amps then you should have no problem dialling in plenty of options.

Yeah, I'd like to imagine that using a tubescreamer and delay isn't too much for the machine. Like I said I use the hd400. And it is capable of using the partical reverb with a massively slow decay, a massive delay AND the octo reverb, with room left for a modulator.

They are some heavy hitting fx in terms of DSP usage.

Some of the HD amps use 25-30% of the available DSP - so if you have two of them in use then you will only have 40-50% DSP left for the fx.

Some of the new modelled amps that are the XT/X3 conversions may only need 10-15%.    All approximations.

The HD500X does have more available DSP than the HD500.

However, I note that from your first post you have the DL4 - so you could always put that in the fx loop and that would free up DSP usage on the HD500X.

You may find that you don't have any problem at all - it all just depends on the combination of amps/fx you choose for your patch.  As long as you realise there is a hardware limit and it will tell you while building the patch when you exceed it.   There are many combinations and options - so even if you do hit the limit you may find there are alternative ways of getting what you want.   Unfortunately you won't know until you try.

I want as simple a set up as possible. I want to be light travelling. The pedalboard I have everything on right now is far heavier than just the pod.

It's all about simplicity, my sound is simple enough. So should my rig.

I don't know anyone with one I could borrow. That's why I can't try.

There's no line 6 dealers where I live which is a shame, there's so many of their products is buy if I could try em.

The thing is it will definitely give you at least what you get with the HD400 and it may very well give you the double amp patches that you need or certainly will give you the ability to make more complex patches.  As arislaf already said - it will certainly give you what you asked for in your first post.

You could order from Sweetwater and then you get the 30 day return period in which to try it out to make sure it's what you need.

Another approach that I use is to use just one amp, but set up two paths leading to it. On one path I add a distortion pedal. I can then rock back and forth with the control pedal between the two sounds. I also use the pedal to tweak the amp settings, so the lead sound is optimized. If you pick the right amp, you can get a great clean sound and a good breakup, and then when you kick in the dist. the full on lead sound. Good amps for this are the /13, the Deluxe and the Dr Z.

With them just announcing that new HELIX, i might be in for a wee bit of a price drop! Mwahahaha. 

Also, when switching between patches is there any lag? The HD400 has a wee bit that does my nut in, though no one seems to notice. 

Im going to have to try one out. 

How much should I be looking at for a used DL4? I still have the box and manuals, and original reciept from like 10 years ago. 

Not sure how "global delay" ( not having to tap tempo ) is going to work unless all songs are the same beats per minute.  I have a few patches using dotted eighth delay for specific songs so I can "hard code" the milliseconds  (   45,000 / bpm = dot eighth milliseconds ).  On other patches the delay is set with tap tempo so I can use it for multiple songs -- this can be tricky however if pauses between songs are short and the band's drummer starts the song.  You can wind up not playing on the first couple of measures while tapping tempo.