Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Master Amp/Cab Parameters

titchyblackcat

Hi

I've never  changed any of the amp/cab parameters as i'm new to the Pod HD Desktop.

I just wondered if there any go to settings that people use for their tone.

I'm getting a bit worried of tweaking for the rest of my life and never playing the guitar again.

I'd like to have a much the same template for the various amps to cut down on tweaking time.

Yes I am sure people have their go to settings but they won't necessarily translate well to your personal situation and likes and dislikes regarding tone.

It also depends on what you use the POD for - do you only use it for recording to DAW?  Or do you use it for rehearsing at home through an amp or FRFR speakers or studio monitors?  Or do you use it to play live?

What sort of sounds are you after?  Clean/Crunch/Distortion/Classic Rock/Metal?

For home recording direct to DAW the default amp/cab DEP settings are probably fine for the vast majority of cases, but if you can't get the tone you are after you can look at adjusting the following parameters:

MASTER - this affects the amount of cross over distortion that the power amp modelling will create. Many of the models have this set to 100% - some only have it set to 50% - so if you are hearing too much power amp distortion in your sound, then adjust this down or if you want more and you are using a model set to 50% then you can try increasing it.  You may have to tweak the DRIVE value of the amp model and VOLUME accordingly to get the right balance between pre-amp and power amp distortion and overall volume.

SAG - default is 50% - affects how the amp "feels" when it responds to playing - lower values make it "stiffer" and higher values "more spongey"  - try it and hear for yourself how it affects the sound.

BIAS - defaults to 50% - move it higher to get the amp model behaving more like CLASS A, and move it lower to get it to behave more like CLASS A/B.

BIAS EXCURSION - defaults to 50% - varies how far around the BIAS value the model will vary.  0 means it will stay on the BIAS value and not vary.

ER - is the amount of ambient room reflection is mixed in with the modelled mic signal, most default to around 12%, but you can move it to zero if you don't want any room reflections in the sound or move it higher if you want to simulate modelled mic further from the cabinet.

RESONANCE and THUMP both default to 50% - and they add a boost to the low end frequencies (warmth and body) and also volume which tends to accentuate the higher frequencies as well.  Set both to zero if you don't want that added boost and warmth.  RESONANCE value controls how much the THUMP value affects the overall sound  - so lower values mean less effect - higher means more.  The default values are probably too high and you may find a better value is 25%.  Again experiment and see how the parameters affect the overall sound.

At the end of the day it's your ears that have to decide what you like best and what are the optimum values for the DEP parameters for your setup and use.

Hope that helps.

• Upvote 4

Thanks i'll have a play at the week end

I'm just recording in the spare room my usual tones are clean and crunch at the moment.

I've only adjusted the master slightly on a couple of presets because to me it sounds pretty good as is.

I just wondered if anyone had a different way of setting the parameters that sound good with all the presets.

The DEP parameters will have similar but varying effects on each of the different presets - you may find a particular combination that you like for a particular amp model or a particular preset but those same settings will not necessarily sound good with everything - in fact they could make some presets sound really bad but others really good.

You may find that certain parameters you always like to increase or decrease to varying degrees with each model.  For example, I like to set SAG to 55% to soften the amp feel a little but it doesn't work for every patch I have created.  I also like to move BIAS to around 70% because I prefer the CLASS A amp behaviour, but again that doesn't work for every patch or every amp. 

Generally, if the defaults sound good I leave them.   I only tweak if I need to.   Knowing what the DEP controls effect helps you determine whether you need to tweak them to nail the sound you are after.

Go ahead and experiment and find the tweaks that work for you.  Have fun!      Good luck.

I am on Win 7 at the moment .... and it worked fine under IE 10 ..... upgraded to IE 11 yesterday and now the "quote" function no longer works......

So next move .... take advantage of the free upgrade to Win 10 ..... :D  :D  :D

• Upvote 1

Yes I am sure people have their go to settings but they won't necessarily translate well to your personal situation and likes and dislikes regarding tone.

It also depends on what you use the POD for - do you only use it for recording to DAW?  Or do you use it for rehearsing at home through an amp or FRFR speakers or studio monitors?  Or do you use it to play live?

Moved this to my personal favorite bookmarks. The best explanation of the rather complicated stuff I ever heard. Nice work!