Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix?? What is it???

Inerzia

I don't think they have finalized the list of amps and effects... 

and I'll let digital igloo disclose that when he's ready...

don't want any lists like that to be seen as a commitment, as things may change...

Digital Igloo would provide a more official answer.

i'm reasonably confident that everything HD got new HX models as far as amps go.... (and then some)

Zap, any info what amps and effects? Or when we will see the list?

I don't think they have finalized the list of amps and effects... 

and I'll let digital igloo disclose that when he's ready...

don't want any lists like that to be seen as a commitment, as things may change...

Digital Igloo would provide a more official answer.

i'm reasonably confident that everything HD got new HX models as far as amps go.... (and then some)

That is already great news.. Thanks mate :) So this is the reason all of you were gone.... Nice :)

It's important to note that Helix does not behave like HD500X when it comes to L6 LINK communication. It acts much more like HD500X and StageSource; that is, one DT will receive a mono signal and two will split the signal hard left and right. There's no tapping off from various points in the signal, although Helix's flexible routing makes this very easy to accomplish this manually. Unfortunately, at launch, there will also be no automatic topology recall, although if you're willing to hook up a MIDI cable as well, some of this can be accomplished via the Command Center page's Instant commands.

Helix's engine is completely different from HD500X's, and much of the functionality of the current DT Dream Rig simply can't apply to the new routing architecture. We're still not sure how deep down the L6 LINK rabbit hole we want to go, so anything's possible.

Just to reiterate: so the Helix can do preamp models with just the L6 link right, and then from what I understand we would just need the midi cable for the topologies and boom we're good to go?   

well then you're capable of going... you'd still need to add the appropriate midi parameters into the Helix preset to get you what you'd want....

but i think you get the idea.

Just to reiterate: so the Helix can do preamp models with just the L6 link right, and then from what I understand we would just need the midi cable for the topologies and boom we're good to go?   

Helix has a separate Preamp model category, and the default Multi output block includes L6 LINK.

Each preset can spit out six buffered commands (independent of footswitch assignment), so if you add the right MIDI messages, DT25/50 will respond accordingly with a Helix preset recall. Of course, you can also switch topology settings within a preset if you assign the message to a footswitch, and even custom label the scribble strip "Petode/Triode" and then custom color the switch LED... turquoise?

i cannot seem to pull up the helix site..its frozen on the mouse over the image page....anyone have a link to a demo?

Some people were complaining this afternoon it didn't work on Chrome.  But did on Firefox or IE.  I had the opposite experience.  The video wouldn't play on Firefox for me.  The site worked better overall on Chrome for me, but about 2 minutes into the video, the video crapped out on me.

I'm imagining the problem was too many people were trying to hit the site, and L6's server is crapping out.  Just a guess, tho....

I see you posted at 9:18 pm EST, just in time for folks on the other coast to be getting home from work and checking it out...

Wow! I came from an Axe FX 2 (sickness forced me to sale) and have been using an HD500x for less than a year. I do like it but sorry and I,am NOT! in any way bashing on LIne 6 at all BUT! IMHO I have missed my Axe FX and Axe Edit dearly (Sorry Line 6) for a number of reasons. One, Tone! and user IR,s! to name a couple. I would read articles of people complaining about not catching up to the newer technology, that Line 6 didnt care, yada yada yada. Now that Iam using an HD500x  coming from an Axe FX I started to think the same? If I understand and I heard right, Line 6 has been working on this baby for over 4 years!!!  I first must say to you Line 6, that Iam very sorry for being so judge mental.  Now I see that while some of us have been bothered by what we thought was not caring, is in fact to me anyways a game changer in the guitar modeling arena as we know it!! The Helix is something that I will be buying!!!!  I have to say that Iam very very impressed with what you have done. I still believe that Fractal Audio is a great product but to be honest was really kinda bothered that they are bringing out with a pedal board setup but with no amp modeling??? What??  I need the whole package in a one piece unit that is small and I can take with me plug and play. YOU HAVE DONE IT!!! Iam sold!!!  The only question that I have is????? When can we hear actual sounds of the amps in action?????? Dying to hear them!!! Please forgive and lets hear this thing!!!!

• Upvote 1

I don't get the "capacitive touch" foot switches. Are we supposed to use this barefoot?

Well, a lot of people probably will. Beyond that, though, it makes it super fast to assign effects to footswitches or to navigate to an effect in a preset. If you touch the switch, you'll go to the edit screen for that effect. If you keep your finger or toe on the switch for a few seconds, it asks if you want to assign the effect that's currently being edited to that switch. This makes it real fast to set up patches. This is probably the most intuitive and fastest UI I've seen on a multi-fx device.

Also, if you don't like the capacitive touch feature, it can be turned off.

Damn. This thing look awesome... and now comes the G.A.S. and mixed feelings of disappointment.

I've only had the HD500X for about 4 months... an now we have Helix. If I had known it was coming, I probably would have waited to buy. Have I really enjoyed the HD500X and all the tones I've been getting? VERY much; some of the best I've ever had. Does the HD500X do 90% of everything I need.... Yup.

So.. I'm going to sit and watch it go by for now. But... I'd be lying if I didn't have lust in my heart for the Helix.

• Upvote 1

Ya know what ---- I am not going to say a word about that one. 

I hate people like that. 

Haters gonna hate. 

Your Brain on Hate
If you're a heavy metal fan, you've probably heard the Iron Maiden song "There's a Thin Line Between Love and Hate." As it turns out, those lyrics have a grain of truth in them, at least in a neurological sense.
In 2008, scientists at University College London in the U.K. published a study in which they included 17 subjects who'd expressed a strong hatred for another person -- typically, an ex-lover or a colleague. When the subjects' brains were mapped with an MRI scanner while they looked at pictures of the people they hated, activity was observed the putamen and insular cortex -- two brain regions that also light up when a person sees a picture of a loved one. (http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/hate1.htm)

Hmmm... Maybe you really love "people like that" but you are a little confused?

I read all your post posts condemning the gluttony of moral turpitude exemplified by those who would exploit the 30 day return policy. I, on the other hand, returned the model packs without re-purchasing them at the 30% discount rate before the announcement of the Helix. So I guess that means I am still eligible to break bread with you.

Just messing with you.  :)
  • Upvote 1

Haters gonna hate. 

Your Brain on Hate

If you're a heavy metal fan, you've probably heard the Iron Maiden song "There's a Thin Line Between Love and Hate."

Heavy Metal? Iron Maiden? Are you kidding? If you are talking ' bout a thin line song, this is the only one that counts! You gotta love Soul Train! Damn, I'm old!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULuHJgCos7A

Heavy Metal? Iron Maiden? Are you kidding? If you are talking ' bout a thin line song, this is the only one that counts! You gotta love Soul Train! Damn, I'm old!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULuHJgCos7A

I agree The Persuaders are easier on the ears than Iron Maiden, but I was quoting another author so...

Don Cornelius! I haven't seen an afro that big since the Mod Squad. Which reminds me, when I was a kid dad would not allow Soul Train on "his" TV. I still watched it when he wasn't home. American Bandstand was allowed. He had some hate issues. The irony is that in 1981, he suffered a spinal cord injury and for about the past 20 years, all his in home caretakers have been minorities. Funny how life works out sometimes.

Well, a lot of people probably will. Beyond that, though, it makes it super fast to assign effects to footswitches or to navigate to an effect in a preset. If you touch the switch, you'll go to the edit screen for that effect. If you keep your finger or toe on the switch for a few seconds, it asks if you want to assign the effect that's currently being edited to that switch. This makes it real fast to set up patches. This is probably the most intuitive and fastest UI I've seen on a multi-fx device.

Sounds great but I do hope the capacitive buttons are immune to noise especially on stage

lol you and me both, with mixed emotions. Sounds like the sales of the HD series and Firehawk/Amplifi where that successful, it 

allowed Line6 to set their sights on the high end market. Anyone found any detailed PDF's of this new series, or is it too early ?

4 FX Loops ! god damn. Pity the FBV controllers aren't supported, could've saved some cash there.

I usually run full amp models (not preamp) with my DT50.  Can I still do that with Helix and Midi?

Yes.

Probably for recording

USB In 1/2 is routed directly to the (globally selectable) outputs sans-processing for jamming along with YouTube, Spotify, etc.

By default, USB Out 7 is tapped directly from the Guitar In for dry tracking/re-amping. By default, USB Out 8 is tapped directly from the Mic In. You can reassign which physical inputs are routed to USB 7/8.

USB Ins 3/4, 5/6, and 7/8 can be assigned as one or more of the four stereo paths' input sources. USB Outs 1/2, 3/4, and 5/6 can be assigned as one or more of the four stereo paths' output destinations. USB Out 1/2 is also part of the default Multi output block, which also includes 1/4", XLR, and Digital (S/PDIF, AES/EBU, or L6 LINK) outputs. Macs and iPads are class-compliant; just hook up and go. PCs require an audio driver be installed.