Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix?? What is it???

Inerzia

This is overwhelmingly fun to read about!

I am sure when some sound samples come out I will be drooling even more.

Alas, this is out of my price range. It is a good thing I love my DT/hd500/JTV59 rig.

It is actually the DT support that makes me feel less bad about not getting this. I understand the midi workarounds to change topology, but that feels clunky to me. I don't want to add cables to my setup -- got enough cables already. Or am I just rationalizing about something I can't have ?

I don't think they have finalized the list of amps and effects... 

and I'll let digital igloo disclose that when he's ready...

don't want any lists like that to be seen as a commitment, as things may change...

Digital Igloo would provide a more official answer.

i'm reasonably confident that everything HD got new HX models as far as amps go.... (and then some)

If you read between the lines there they have MORE than 45 amps ready to go, but for launch are going to START OFF with 45 amps. Good to know they've already got more stuff in the pipeline for it. Hopefully given the price of the unit we can look forward to some free additional amps in the not-too-distant-future. :D

It might sound that way a little... BUT keep in mind, it is speculation. :)

they will surely have things that they are working on that won't make the release date...

what those are, and when they might come out... that's the guessing part :D

but there will be plenty to keep you busy until whenever!

If you read between the lines there they have MORE than 45 amps ready to go, but for launch are going to START OFF with 45 amps. Good to know they've already got more stuff in the pipeline for it. Hopefully given the price of the unit we can look forward to some free additional amps in the not-too-distant-future. :D

BUMP ! anyone ?

Seriously?  Its Line 6, there aren't any detailed docs for some released products!  DI indicated that they believe it is so intuitive there won't be much besides a cut sheet with it...

• Upvote 1

It might sound that way a little... BUT keep in mind, it is speculation. :)

they will surely have things that they are working on that won't make the release date...

what those are, and when they might come out... that's the guessing part :D

but there will be plenty to keep you busy until whenever!

To be honest my friend, 45 is likely 35 more than I'd ever personally use if the right 10 are already in there, with the occaissional exception arising every so often. I just see the extra additions down the road as added value. :)

And as for it sounding that way a little, well, when you say you can't divulge the current list of amps because it could change, what other way is there to take that? lol :P

Whether they're going to call a mesa MKIIC+ a "classic cali crunch" or maybe "metallicrunch" it's still the same amp. If it's going to be in there it's going to be in there, unless there are other amps on deck that might push if off deck until a later date. :D

Seriously?  Its Line 6, there aren't any detailed docs for some released products!  DI indicated that they believe it is so intuitive there won't be much besides a cut sheet with it...

Yes, SERIOUSLY. Every electronic gadget of this caliber will have its support documents, no matter how

intuitive it is to use, and i SERIOUSLY don't understand your confusion lol, their arrival is a %99 certainty.

2 (SHARC 21469 @ 450 MHz)
Approx. 2.3x as powerful as HD500X

heeh yea this will be a nice peace of kit :)

ohh wondering what chips they opted to use ?

cant wait to its released and read a few reviews, best start saving now (that means my Yamaha speakers will be put on hold) nice looking to :)

2.3 x the power of an HD500X in a dual APU\DSP format will make for some nice tweaking possibilities

one for effects and one for Amps and or the possibility to use any left over (if any) cycles from the amp moddelling to use for effects would be grate

i would of thought it will support all the variax guitars as this would only add value to the new device .. but thats just a guess.

the price will probs be a bit cheaper from some places depends

for example my Vox AC30CC2 Amp's RRP was i think around the £1000 mark up (or something like that) but they sold for around £800 or so if i remember rightly .

it will support any supported, meaning currently being updated, variax software... workbench HD and any variax that uses it.

the older variaxes will work... for playing... but not as a software interface.

i would of thought it will support all the variax guitars as this would only add value to the new device .. but thats just a guess.

it will support any supported, meaning currently being updated, variax software... workbench HD and any variax that uses it.

the older variaxes will work... for playing... but not as a software interface.

If Line6 can't accept the fact that some people just can't afford to drop several thousand dollars every time they decide to change things up, then it is revenue they will loose. In my personal opinion, the Variax 500 is a much better playing guitar than any of the JTV models and I have tried them all. I will be sticking with my 500s (I own three now). It would have been an added incentive (carrot) if they fixed their blunder and made new hardware going forward acceptable for ALL their guitars. I've worked in the electronics industry for over 20 years and I know that if they really wanted to, they could. This is just a marketing strategy to get people to spend more money on their products. The HD500X is a very nice piece of gear. With the functions built in, Line6 had a lot of room left in this product to expand. It's obvious that the L6 mentality will be that this product will fall buy the wayside and eventually drop off their radar. In the mean time, everyone who is addicted to L6 products (myself included) will scurry about and try to figure out how to come up with the money to buy the next big gizmo. By the time you have that gizmo in your hands and you have gone through the learning curve to be able to make it perform as an instrument, they are already going to be announcing the next "big" gizmo.

Extra buttons on Helix make it look like they are slightly closer together. The 500X buttons are already too close for my "clown shoes".

I don't think they did it as any sort of marketing conspiracy...

they are just getting away from all of their Java based software packages... 

i'm not sure that they even have a java developer on hand any more...

and even if they did...

upgrading it would reset the clock and force them to support it for longer....

they are slowly changing ALL their software...

in fact.... a little tidbit....

Helix does not use Line6 Monkey!

not saying i disagree with you... it seems like a minor thing and should work...

but in the larger picture... for them at least... it didn't make sense.

i'm honestly surprised that noone has edited up an .ini file from workbench HD to try and make the original workbench recognize through a 500x

don't know that it would work... but if i still had my older variaxes... i would have tried.

If Line6 can't accept the fact that some people just can't afford to drop several thousand dollars every time they decide to change things up, then it is revenue they will loose. In my personal opinion, the Variax 500 is a much better playing guitar than any of the JTV models and I have tried them all. I will be sticking with my 500s (I own three now). It would have been an added incentive (carrot) if they fixed their blunder and made new hardware going forward acceptable for ALL their guitars. I've worked in the electronics industry for over 20 years and I know that if they really wanted to, they could. This is just a marketing strategy to get people to spend more money on their products. The HD500X is a very nice piece of gear. With the functions built in, Line6 had a lot of room left in this product to expand. It's obvious that the L6 mentality will be that this product will fall buy the wayside and eventually drop off their radar. In the mean time, everyone who is addicted to L6 products (myself included) will scurry about and try to figure out how to come up with the money to buy the next big gizmo. By the time you have that gizmo in your hands and you have gone through the learning curve to be able to make it perform as an instrument, they are already going to be announcing the next "big" gizmo.

Extra buttons on Helix make it look like they are slightly closer together. The 500X buttons are already too close for my "clown shoes".

• Upvote 1

in case anyone missed it on the other thread....

nice review/overview...

goes through some of the menus and models.

Cool Helix Video

I actually understood that whole video, I might just be making some progress when it come to guitar effect terminology, YAY!!! hahahaahaaa Thanks Rad's!

I'm on a MAC so ini files are of no help to me. I have my USB interface for the original Workbench and that works just fine, It is just a pain that I can't edit guitars and the HD at the same time without having to switch back and forth between interfaces to be able to preview the sound. This is only an issue when I'm in the studio, tweaking for the next show so it is something I have learned to live with. 

It is good news that the next version of the edit software will support IOS via "camera kit". I can only hope that HD EDIT will be upgraded so that the 500X can be modified via iPad. I don't own a laptop but I do cary 2 iPads with me at all times. Not getting my hopes up too high though. I doubt they will care about this.

I understand what you are saying about Java, however, Java is not forced by the Variax hardware. Simply have your software guru write some code that will access the existing circuitry. The only Java being spoken is between Old Workbench or L6 Monkey, and it's interface (the USB dongle, or your POD). 

BTW, I never used the word "conspiracy". This is a typical marketing "strategy" used my many companies these days. L6 has a hungry customer base, chomping at the bit for the next big gizmo.

I don't think they did it as any sort of marketing conspiracy...

they are just getting away from all of their Java based software packages... 

i'm not sure that they even have a java developer on hand any more...

and even if they did...

upgrading it would reset the clock and force them to support it for longer....

they are slowly changing ALL their software...

in fact.... a little tidbit....

Helix does not use Line6 Monkey!

not saying i disagree with you... it seems like a minor thing and should work...

but in the larger picture... for them at least... it didn't make sense.

i'm honestly surprised that noone has edited up an .ini file from workbench HD to try and make the original workbench recognize through a 500x

don't know that it would work... but if i still had my older variaxes... i would have tried.

2.3 x the power of an HD500X in a dual APU\DSP format will make for some nice tweaking possibilities

one for effects and one for Amps and or the possibility to use any left over (if any) cycles from the amp moddelling to use for effects would be grate

Except that I read somewhere that it's 1 for audio, 1 for dedicated UI, so it'll be interesting to see how much power they've got to burn. Not sure on the AXEFX2 for example. It's supposed to have 1 for effects, 1 for amps, but not sure if there's a separate CPU for UI or not there. Anyone want to fill us in?

Edit: Not true, as noted below

Edited by ozbadman

I read all your post posts condemning the gluttony of moral turpitude exemplified by those who would exploit the 30 day return policy.

I very specifically did not quote anyone. I did not mention a name. I did not mention an action. 

In fact, I said I wasn't going to even going to say anything about it. 

So, really, no one knows who or what I was talking about. 

I mean, sure, it should be obvious to anyone that has read my previous posts, but no one can say with a certainty. 

And THAT is what a court of law is all about. Beyond a shadow of a doubt! Me not mentioning anything specific IS the doubt. 

Love me or hate me, you have to admit, it is kind of funny watching people who admit that they can't operate their current equipment, or they complain about not being able to afford model packs or a car --- or the ones who say they can't play and just diddle in their bedroom for fun --- instantly run their mouth off about how they are going to throw away a perfectly good working piece of gear and go buy something that they haven't even heard a demo of,  but they have to have it simply because it is there was an advertisement. 

It's alright. I have $150 ready to buy their unit when the market gets flooded with all of the people chasing technology causing the price to plummet. 

I will then, next year after the prices settle, sell them for $250. 

If I buy two dozen of them, I can keep one in each house, and still make enough profit to buy the Helix II when it comes out.    

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

not true... the SHARCS are for audio... there is a seperate MCU just for the UI

Except that I read somewhere that it's 1 for audio, 1 for dedicated UI, so it'll be interesting to see how much power they've got to burn. Not sure on the AXEFX2 for example. It's supposed to have 1 for effects, 1 for amps, but not sure if there's a separate CPU for UI or not there. Anyone want to fill us in?

not true... the SHARCS are for audio... there is a separate MCU just for the UI

Ah. OK. I misinterpreted DI on his FAQ thread:

Helix is running two of the fastest non-TigerSHARC SHARCs you can buy—the 450 MHz ADSP-21469s—with dual MCUs (one for audio duties and another dedicated to nothing but UI). If I've read between the lines correctly, they're the exact same DSPs that'll be in Fractal's AX8, but I'm just making an educated guess here.

But also note that we have 20 years of experience. Squeezing the most out of existing resources to make everything sound and feel as authentic as possible requires a ton of know-how and finesse. It's still ALL about the code.

So I guess that's 2 x SHARC DSPs + 2 x MCUs. I'm not sure what is meant by one MCU for audio, but I guess that refers to routing?, and one for UI. In any case, 2 x DSPs free for signal processing it looks like.

i'd guess like you, that it would be to do with routing the various streams etc... but DI would likely be able to correct me, as it could be me that misunderstands... but being able to do 4 amps etc.. its gonna need those SHARCS!

Back goes the model pack. Thank goodness for the 30 day return policy. Don't worry Line 6, the refund will go towards the purchase of a Helix.

How do you return a purchased HD Model pack? I recently bough on for my HD500X, and I'm now considering selling my HD500X and moving to the new Helix when it's available, but I don't see how exactly to return the model pack I purchased for the HD500X??!! I'm within the 30 day window. Can anyone explain how this is done?

Thanks!

In the mean time, everyone who is addicted to L6 products (myself included) will scurry about and try to figure out how to come up with the money to buy the next big gizmo. By the time you have that gizmo in your hands and you have gone through the learning curve to be able to make it perform as an instrument, they are already going to be announcing the next "big" gizmo.

Our economy (and a company's reputation) used to be built on the quality and longevity of products...but that only worked while technology was little more than stagnant. Now planned obsolescence is the new normal...it sucks, but it is what it is, and it's not gonna change. I decided a long time ago that I could either go broke trying to keep up with the rest of the gadget fiends (most of whom seem to have the fanatical devotion of a meth addict...pitching a tent for 2 days on a sidewalk so you can buy a phone? How is that normal?), or live with being 1 or 2 generations behind the curve. My 500X isn't going anywhere anytime soon...

Unless I win the lottery, in which case it's a pile of my dog's finest work on the boss's desk, a couple of months in Aruba, and all the gear I've ever wanted... :P

• Upvote 2

They must have something ready to go or SweetWater wouldn't have their hands on one as a demo.

I am a little confused. 

Some of the posts I see seem to imply that the thing isn't even done being designed. 

Which means, how would anyone be able to review it. And certainly, there would be no OM for it yet. 

i agree the HD500/X are still very good but for me being new to all of this and getting into line 6 hardware at a late stage with the the HD500, its just what i as a new buyer wants, the HD500 i may still keep or donate to someone if they lose to much value secondhand, but consider the price of the new unit it may still keep secondhand value of the HD500/X fairly good, so i could end up selling it to help fund a real upgrade.

It's designed...  doesn't mean its not still be tested and finalized...

but like all the pod's before it.... things can be changed and improved over time....

I am a little confused. 

Some of the posts I see seem to imply that the thing isn't even done being designed. 

Which means, how would anyone be able to review it. And certainly, there would be no OM for it yet. 

It's alright. I have $150 ready to buy their unit when the market gets flooded with all of the people chasing technology causing the price to plummet. 

I will then, next year after the prices settle, sell them for $250. 

If I buy two dozen of them, I can keep one in each house, and still make enough profit to buy the Helix II when it comes out.    

:blink: Who the hell needs 24 houses ? My BS detector is off the scale on that one.  :huh:

but like all the pod's before it.... things can be changed and improved over time....

So, in computer terms... 

It is in beta mode? 

Which still seems a little scary. Software can be updated for years after purchase. But hardware can not. The production process would be all about hardware. 

So, if the unit is still being tested, then you could just as easily find hardware issues -- which means production has to cease and the already made units need replaced. 

That would explain the lack of detailed documentation then...