Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix?? What is it???

Inerzia

Helix has a separate Preamp model category, and the default Multi output block includes L6 LINK.

Each preset can spit out six buffered commands (independent of footswitch assignment), so if you add the right MIDI messages, DT25/50 will respond accordingly with a Helix preset recall. Of course, you can also switch topology settings within a preset if you assign the message to a footswitch, and even custom label the scribble strip "Petode/Triode" and then custom color the switch LED... turquoise?

Igloo, first of all, you are doing a heroic job in being responsive to all the questions we're firing away on here and other forums, thanks for that!

So putting midi aside, can I use Helix and the L6 LINK only to feed the DT25 1) Helix preamp and 2) "pre-power amplifier" effects to the power amp in the DT25, then also have 3) time-based effects in the effects loop of the DT25 power amp? Or would I have to do 4CM to achieve that last part?

• Upvote 2

So putting midi aside, can I use Helix and the L6 LINK only to feed the DT25 1) Helix preamp and 2) "pre-power amplifier" effects to the power amp in the DT25, then also have 3) time-based effects in the effects loop of the DT25 power amp? Or would I have to do 4CM to achieve that last part?

You'd need 4CM for that even with HD500X, as L6 LINK doesn't provide bidirectional audio.

Wow Looks way cool. It certainly forfills most of the requested shortcomings of the HD series.

It'l be quite a bit more lira here in aussie land too but it certainly gets the g.a.s. going.

It will be under plenty of scrutiny from me.

I just searched for any Sweatwater early reviews of the HD500 but couldn't find any to do any A/Bing the sound quality.

I couldnt hear any improvement in sound from the video and thought it was a makeover of the HD modelling.

Reading this thread and the  FAQ article most of the modelling is from scratch.

Sound quality improvements are hard to resist. over  easy one the eyes display and UX. 

I am keen 

I've been very disapointed with the HD 500 section of my Dream Rig. I've had it for years and I doubt I have 10 hours total played on it. No reamp capabilities without jumping through hoops. It wouldnt play nice with my old audio interface drivers I literaly had to unplug it when I wanted to record something. I just bought a Focusrite and haven't checked to see if it plays any nicer. The lack of a power switch (yeah I know, but it was a thing). It was a pita to program, and honestly none of the presets did anything for me. Granted I haven't even messed with it in a year or two, so things could have gotten better.

Now the Helix looks like it's doing everything right. Reamping, check, a power switch, much easier to program, and a built in audio interface so no fighting over drivers. I'm going to start saving my pennies now, but will be waiting on some early adopter reviews. It's mostly going to come down to how good the interface section is. Right off the bat I wish it had more than one mic input for my stereo condensers, but I can probably work around that.

I'm putting my HD 500 on the block today, if I can sell my Focusrite too, it's going to be a lot easier to justify the purchase.

Wow, really looks like you needed to read the manual....

i was just wondering how line 6 came to the name Helix ? any idea's anyone

Could be a play on the HX modeling ( Heli) or it could be the reverse and they took HX from the name Helix. Just a guess.

Dude, pod Hd has built in audio inteface, it is my sound card 5 years already..

Yeah, I realize it has a basic AI built it, that's why it won't play nice with a real one. I need more than a couple inputs though, hence the reason I'm wondering if the Helix would meet my needs in that department.

yes there will be an editor for the computer... but with the large screen... the only thing easier on the computer is naming the presets... (maybe moving presets around)

Also, it might be easier to back up all the patches in a bundle, and view all the patches or set lists, and maybe view all the effect perimeters at once? And maybe to find exp 1 and 2 assignments in a patch you are unfamiliar with? And maybe do a custom tuning on your Variax? 

well yeah... backing up etc... because obviously backing something up to itself has limited benefit....

and a handful of other things....

but the editing software is going to be as close to the device operation as they can get it...

so i think you'll find that most things will be just as easy... either way....

Also, it might be easier to back up all the patches in a bundle, and view all the patches or set lists, and maybe view all the effect perimeters at once? And maybe to find exp 1 and 2 assignments in a patch you are unfamiliar with? And maybe do a custom tuning on your Variax? 

well yeah... backing up etc... because obviously backing something up to itself has limited benefit....

and a handful of other things....

but the editing software is going to be as close to the device operation as they can get it...

so i think you'll find that most things will be just as easy... either way....

A very admirable goal, making things easier either way. That is the proper way to do things. Editing on a computer always has the advantage of a larger screen. But the less you have to connect a computer, the more time you save for hopefully making some music!

Talking about the naming made me think... what about the "Double Helix"?

In the future this could be a new version of Helix with higher rated processors; nobody has shown a picture of the bottom of the unit yet, but some equipment has space for additional processors on a daughter board designed in from day one.  Yamaha for example have Flash Memory slots on Motif XF keyboards that allow up to 2G of fast access memory to be added that can store samples and waveforms.  

But in the meantime for those with deep pockets and complex requirements a Double Helix could be connecting a Helix Floorboard to a Helix Rack via a digital connection - just needs integration of the UI so that the two units behave as one.

it would be nice to have an hardware upgradable device to extend the life span of a device, for example RAM expansion slot (its not like most people dont know how to plug something in theses days) the cream on the cake would be an upgradable audio DSP/APU that was say in a cartridge type form for easy fitting.

but i doubt we would ever see such a device not matter how much sence it makes for the end user.

or even a modular design device so hardware parts can replaced easily for either an upgrade or to replace a worn part say the foot pedal or an upgrade that way line 6 would be able to sell another line of hardware in the form of an upgrade.

by building an base unit that can take various hardware and software uprades they could release an affordable standard base unit that can be upgraded with a whole new line of hardware from line 6 upgrades to a higher spec at a later time.

now that would be a dream and im guessing it would cost more to produce that type of system tto start with but boi that would be a sweet device.

• Upvote 1

"Line 6 doesn't listen to its customers!"

"Ideascale is a joke!"

"IR's! Why won't Line 6 give us IR's"

"I guess Line 6 doesn't want to be in High End gear category!' (that one was mine!)

"Line 6 only cares about the bottom line and doesn't care to give value to its loyal customers."

"Good Bye Line 6, you guys and all of your fanboys suck!"

"I'm going to Fractal!"

Anyone want to apologize at this point?

Nice job Line 6! You listened to the most impatient and at times mean spirited crap from folks who probably don't play guitar all that well to begin with! And from it all, it is so obvious that you do listen, you do care about your customers. And you do it in a great spirit! Once again, NICE JOB LINE 6!

Where and when can I get 2 of them?

Even though Mine isn't listed on there. I know I was really PO'd at Line 6 when the HD series came out that they ditched USB ReAmping. (that was in previous versions). Then they brought out the HD-X series, and still no USB Re-Amping! I remember posting a few negative things, But I wasn't mean though.  

Now they look like they have taken the ReAmping with Helix to a whole new level (like Eleven Rack level, and maybe even beyond!)

Seems like I will be eating my words, and seems like I will be buying a Helix Rack sometime in the not-so-distant future, if its sound quality is noticeably better than my Eleven Rack.

• 2 months later...