Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New processor - Price?

bond19

wow..too steep for me too...I am sure it will be nice...competes with the axe products and kemper....i could sell a bunch of stuff to fund it but dont want to ride that train anymore..if was was around $799 i would consider it if i tried it first and it was amazing compared to what i use now...

If its USB Class Compliant ( like the Line-6 Firehawk), and has superior Amp sounds than the current POD HD series  -this gets interesting 

8 I/O USB Audio Channels  !

Seems primed and ready for an updated Variax with separate channels per string over the VDI interface

1434053521_1210288418_Helix4.PNG
But this $1.5k+ pricing for Line-6 Helix pushed this into Kemper  / Fractal Axe FX territory  - Will Roland step up to the challenge?  

1434052542_481241879_Helix3.PNG

1434054024_870572151_Helix5.PNG

1434054022_192738192_Helix6.PNG

FWIW - I know Thomas Nordegg (Steve Vai) emphatically told Line-6  to employ similar ergonomic capabilities of the RJM MasterMind GTFootcontroler - with Color Displays and separate LCD screens per pedal 

ad.jpg

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15254.msg108880#msg108880

But our world still needs a decent Foot Controller with 24 bit Audio I/O and MIDI Foot Controller  that is USB Class Compliant 

So far the best practical iPad Guitar rig is Adrian Belews  Focusrite  iTrack Dock + KMI SoftStep2

- so we can use Positive Grid BIAS FX on our iPads 

Apr15_LNU_BIAS-FX-combo-pic_WEB.jpg

FireHawk FX comes damn close - perhaps firmware update could add a USB Re-Amping function and make this possible?   

If this sounds as good as it is supposed to and with the features, the price is a non issue. If you want something in the range of the Axe FX, and Kemper, it is not going to be 400.00.

Actually for todays tech, FX processors are pretty cheap. Back in the early 90's stuff like this was the same price and wasn't even close in sound or flexibility

• Upvote 2

wow..too steep for me too...I am sure it will be nice...competes with the axe products and kemper....i could sell a bunch of stuff to fund it but dont want to ride that train anymore..if was was around $799 i would consider it if i tried it first and it was amazing compared to what i use now...

Yeah - I agree 100% - around 700 - 750$ that would be an appropriate pice. Hopefully street price will be much less as indicated now.

• Downvote 1

Yeah - I agree 100% - around 700 - 750$ that would be an appropriate pice. Hopefully street price will be much less as indicated now.

An appropriate price is one that recoups the R&D costs, covers the production costs and gives the boys a bit of profit for their efforts.  In other words, appropriate is relevant.  Each person's abiltity to afford that is another matter altogether.

Yeah, the price point was more than I expected. However, the proof will be in the pudding...does the thing warrant the ~3x price increase?

The interface looks great. Love the layout and feature set. At the end of the day it has to sound and feel a heck of a lot better though to get me to bite. As nice as the interface is I am the kind of guy that sets up my tones beforehand and gig like a maniac. I don't screw with my patches once I have them all normalized and good to go. The sound and feel will have to be the biggest value add for me. With that said, I am quite hopeful. I doubt Line6 would rattle their sabers in Kemper / Fractal territory unless they have the goods.

Should be interesting...Line6 has done a fabulous job it seems.

even at $1500 its not that expensive compared to so many other things...

Gibson Custom Ace Frehley 1959 Les Paul - $15,799

PRS Private Stock Custom 24 Retro - $10,469

Mesa/Boogie Mark V combo guitar amplifier - $4237

Friedman Dirty Shirley all-tube combo guitar amplifier - $2899

Axe FX II XL+ Preamp/FX Processor - $2499

Kemper Profiling Amplifier - $1980

Avid ProTools Quartet USB Audio Interface - $1899

ISP Technologies Theta Pro DSP pedal - $1299

Rocktron's Prophesy II - $1299

None of which have the full range of capabilities and functionality of the Helix...

I had been planning some system upgrades, new PA and some restructuring anyways... this changes everything.  If it is what it says it is and performs as well, it's goodbye to everything else I own except the JTV and another guitar and hello Helix...  I don't have too many decades left to worry about what I wish I had done.  If it is this good, I want to enjoy it while I can...

• Upvote 5

UK price then probably around £1000? It's a beautiful thing, and definitely hints at an updated variax! 

It does hint at a new Variax . .which is why I will be canceling my order at Sweetwater for a JTV 69 tomorrow. I have a sneaking suspicion that something is up. The guys at Sweetwater said the Helix dropped on them with no warning from Line 6. Mitch made a demo with the Helix and the sales guy I spoke with said it left the building afterwards.

It does hint at a new Variax . .which is why I will be canceling my order at Sweetwater for a JTV 69 tomorrow. I have a sneaking suspicion that something is up. The guys at Sweetwater said the Helix dropped on them with no warning from Line 6. Mitch made a demo with the Helix and the sales guy I spoke with said it left the building afterwards.

There is a new Variax - the Standard. If you like the JTV69, I'd say keep your order. I don't see them going away for awhile. Just my personal opinion.

There is a new Variax - the Standard. If you like the JTV69, I'd say keep your order. I don't see them going away for awhile. Just my personal opinion.

I know about the Standard, I don't think that is what the guy who I quoted was talking about. The JTV prices have been dropping lately so that is usually a sign that something new is in the pipeline and they want to run out the inventory. I can wait. My Dream Rig is really a Parker Adrian Belew DF model into a Roland VG99 ( its amazing that these still sell pretty high on EBay still considering how old they are. Belew still uses one as does Vernon Reid) into a Fractal . .but like I said, its a dream.

I know about the Standard, I don't think that is what the guy who I quoted was talking about. The JTV prices have been dropping lately so that is usually a sign that something new is in the pipeline and they want to run out the inventory. I can wait. My Dream Rig is really a Parker Adrian Belew DF model into a Roland VG99 ( its amazing that these still sell pretty high on EBay still considering how old they are. Belew still uses one as does Vernon Reid) into a Fractal . .but like I said, its a dream.

I agree - I suspect they wouldn't work on all new algorithms for amps etc for Helix without rebuilding the variax modelling from the ground up also, for a JTV level guitar. Personally I find the new standards somewhat basic looking, and materially I don't want to play a pacifica - I had one when I was a teenager! 

An even better sounding, pro-level aesthetic Variax? Yes please :D 

• 1 month later...

As a new Variax has been mentioned, I'd like to see a headless Variax with mixed mags, micros, small body (clear resin), nice vibrato a 'divided' pickup option and led markers... That's not much to ask for.

• 4 weeks later...

I gotta agree with radatats.  A new 100w Marshall Head with Cabinet will cost about the same without the FX or signal processing.  No offense but all the people talking about what price they would pay even before finding out the full capabilities or trying the unit out seems a little putting the cart in front of the horse.  While not fully familiar with AXE-FX or Klemper it would seem that these very well respected pieces of equipment sit in the relatively same price bracket for their capabilities for which people are willing to pay the asking price.

For me personally the Helix seems to fit exactly what I am looking for for my situation.  A lot of this opinion is based on my past experience with Line 6 equipment which has been excellent.

even at $1500 its not that expensive compared to so many other things...

Gibson Custom Ace Frehley 1959 Les Paul - $15,799

PRS Private Stock Custom 24 Retro - $10,469

Mesa/Boogie Mark V combo guitar amplifier - $4237

Friedman Dirty Shirley all-tube combo guitar amplifier - $2899

Axe FX II XL+ Preamp/FX Processor - $2499

Kemper Profiling Amplifier - $1980

Avid ProTools Quartet USB Audio Interface - $1899

ISP Technologies Theta Pro DSP pedal - $1299

Rocktron's Prophesy II - $1299

None of which have the full range of capabilities and functionality of the Helix...

I had been planning some system upgrades, new PA and some restructuring anyways... this changes everything.  If it is what it says it is and performs as well, it's goodbye to everything else I own except the JTV and another guitar and hello Helix...  I don't have too many decades left to worry about what I wish I had done.  If it is this good, I want to enjoy it while I can...

Agreed,iN had to chuckle at a guy on another forum, He was flipping out over the price. His whole basis was the price compared to the HD400. He refused to pay that much despite everyone telling him it was totally different technology, In his signature was his gear which in addition to the HD400 were two boutique amps, a Timeline and 4 other Strymon pedals.