Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix FAQ

Digital_Igloo

Well just great!!! Now what am I gonna do? I guess I'll wait about a year to save up enough money but it looks like it resolves every issue I have with the HD500 series. My question is...

Like in the X3, can you lock one of the outputs (1/4" or XLR) at one level so the master volume only controls the other output?

BTW, Sweetwater is currently listing the floor model at $1499 so it looks like that is the street price.

I haven't seen mention of editing software for PC/Mac.   I understand that the interface is easy and that I can edit with my feet, but will I be able to edit from my PC?  I am hoping not to have to sit on the floor to build presets or utilize my feet while doing this if I'm not playing at the time......

yes there will be a computer based editor.

I haven't seen mention of editing software for PC/Mac.   I understand that the interface is easy and that I can edit with my feet, but will I be able to edit from my PC?  I am hoping not to have to sit on the floor to build presets or utilize my feet while doing this if I'm not playing at the time......

Let me ask this differently.

Has the Helix been played thru a DT25/50...If so, does it sound great? (possibly better than with other amps)

What is the ideal amp you would play it through? 

Thank You, btw!

bump

I'm curious what amp line 6 wants us to use with this...

what about the quality in 4 cable method...? i´m glad fractal audio put a lot of affort in this....did you also consider that...?

i guess there´s no benefit using humbuster cables with the helix...?

They are still working on it...

I can't say anything definitive on it at the moment.

I think I've read that it's similar to what's on the unit itself, but is the application interface scalable?

I asked this earlier but maybe too subtly.... How does the Helix integrate with the Stagescape mixer and Line Six Speakers, like the L3t, L3s and L2t? The whole Full Range Flat Response concept would SEEM to be ideal in a product like the Helix that does so much modeling within itself.

I have never felt that the JT Variax, POD 500x, Stagescape mixer and Stagesource speakers were well-integrated... If the Helix can pull that off, I'm in...

I was wishing the Sweetwater video would have done more than touch on the Variax and L6 Link jacks... Any input on using all the Line 6 gear TOGETHER?

1. Is it possible to full control FX/AMP settings in Helix Rack via third party MIDI floorboard?

2. 10 inputs in floor: 1. guitar, 2. Mic, 3. Variax, 4-7 loop, 8-9 stereo S/PDIF, 10 Aux. Is it correct? Is it possible use any of them only in 4 fx line or is it possible mix them independently and only for 4 of them use FX/Amps?

3. Tell us more about looper: Is it like external looper (Boss RC-3 for example) i.e. stereo with long recording time?

1- I know there are preamp models. but, does anyone know if the Power Amp can be a separate block? Even as is, I can plug my tube amp line out and use the IR loader and record my amp! Very nice.

2-Can the input/out  be discrete that I can send one output that includes drive/distortion/effects to My amp and then send my amp line out, into Helix other input to process using the IR block and record my amp that way? or will that cause a feedback loop?

As exciting as the Helix is, it sounds like support for the DT series amp is not in your road map which is very disappointing.

It basically came down to this: Restrict Helix's signal flow routing to that of HD500X so it works with DT in the same fashion or do something different and way more flexible and fast. There are manual workarounds to get nearly all of the existing DT Dream Rig functionality, but it's literally impossible to shoehorn Helix's routing and communication architecture into something comprehensive.

That said, there are a few things we can do to improve it. Don't give up. Submit all concerns and requests to IdeaScale, which directly prioritizes our backlog of wish list items (which is exhaustive right now).

A commercial IR block for instance comes in at 18dB or so higher than than one of the Line 6 cabs.

That's because many commercial IRs are normalized to 0dB. The IR block has level adjustment, and it may be as simple as finding a good average default value. Still tweaking the IR stuff.

Will I be able to do guitar/vocals combo with FX on vocals just like the HD500X?

VOCODER 

Yes.

Unfortunately, no Vocoder at launch.

Question: I could hear a slight click noise when switching from mic to mic options on the Sweetwater video (12m38s-12m54s). Any chance that is eliminated in the future?

The click should be minimized, yeah. I have assigned a footswitch to toggle mic models, though, and it's completely transparent.

I'm curious what amp line 6 wants us to use with this...

Line 6 amps and/or StageSource FRFR, of course. ;) Many of us Line 6ers have no intention of getting rid of our favorite boutique amps and pedals and really—the whole modeling vs. amp/pedals debate can be solved so easily:

aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg

Helix can be used standalone—or—as the mothership of a much larger boutique/tube rig.

I think I've read that it's similar to what's on the unit itself, but is the application interface scalable?

Yes, the Helix application's interface can be resized in real time. Someone on IdeaScale asked for it, and others voted it up.

I asked this earlier but maybe too subtly.... How does the Helix integrate with the Stagescape mixer and Line Six Speakers, like the L3t, L3s and L2t? The whole Full Range Flat Response concept would SEEM to be ideal in a product like the Helix that does so much modeling within itself.

Helix is flexible enough to use pretty much however you want—effects only, 4CM, 7CM, 10CM, wet-dry-wet, preamps only into tube power amp, completely FRFR, or multiple setups at once. With StageSource speakers, you just hook up via L6 LINK. One speaker gets a mono signal, two get left-right, three get left-mono-right, four get left-left-right-right, etc.

Personally, I've been using Helix with a single L2t.

1. Is it possible to full control FX/AMP settings in Helix Rack via third party MIDI floorboard?

2. 10 inputs in floor: 1. guitar, 2. Mic, 3. Variax, 4-7 loop, 8-9 stereo S/PDIF, 10 Aux. Is it correct? Is it possible use any of them only in 4 fx line or is it possible mix them independently and only for 4 of them use FX/Amps?

3. Tell us more about looper: Is it like external looper (Boss RC-3 for example) i.e. stereo with long recording time?

1. Yes. You can assign almost any preset-level parameter to an incoming MIDI CC in three seconds. Seriously.

2. Any of the four Input blocks can be set to an individual physical input or you can choose Multi (the default), which includes Guitar, Aux, and Variax inputs simultaneously.

3. At launch, there's nothing groundbreaking about the Looper. It's now treated as a separate block, can be either mono or stereo, and can be placed anywhere on any of the four stereo signal paths. As such, you can route the looper to a specific output or loop the guitar but not the vocals, etc. Looping time is up to 120 seconds mono, 60 seconds stereo.

1- I know there are preamp models. but, does anyone know if the Power Amp can be a separate block? Even as is, I can plug my tube amp line out and use the IR loader and record my amp! Very nice.

2-Can the input/out  be discrete that I can send one output that include drive/distortion/effects to My amp and then send my amp line out, into Helix other input to process using the IR block and record my amp that way? or will that cause a feedback loop?

1. No. Helix has independent Amp+Cab (where the cab is matched for convenience), Amp, and Preamp categories. The power amp section of the model cannot be accessed independently of the preamp section. It's not outside the realm of possibility, however.

2. Yes, as long as the second input's path is feeding a different output, you shouldn't feed back.

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME.

OK, deep breath...

(1.) How many external Amp functions can be controlled? Some amps (Mesa Mk V etc.) have a ton of features that can be controlled. I would say 4 minimum for the Helix... yes?

(2.) Do we still have to waste effect blocks on things like summing the inputs, like on HD500? I found the inputs/mixer on that unit a bit convoluted.

(3.) Does Line 6 absolutely have to have a different expression pedal than every other piece of gear? It would be so cool to grab any old exp pedal and have the whole sweep, etc.

(4.) Please tell us that the new ROTARY effect is going to make us cry with swirly, dimensional delight. We know you can do it!!!!!!

(5.) Will there be Exp control of levels, or do we insert Volume Pedal blocks for that?

(6.) Buffers on/off for the external loops? (Thinking off fuzz pedals here)

(7.) Can there be selectable polarity for the foot switches - Ex. hitting one switch turns an effect On and another Off?

You guys are truly amazing.

.....The power amp section of the model cannot be accessed independently of the power amp section. It's not outside the realm of possibility, however.

Thanks, if this ever becomes possible then the Helix can be a direct replacement to the Torpedo Cab!

Still, it's a formidable product, that can do many things. I keep wondering and  hoping that the vibe effect in Helix is better than the M-Series or HD unibive.

Has nobody asked yet? How are the EQ's displayed? PLEASE tell me it's not in percentage... Are there graphic displays?

With POD HD500X, it deals with how the DSP and MCU communicate, which unfortunately, precludes meaningful EQ values.

When work on Helix started, we said "We don't care if it's hot pink and has nothing but Pignose models in it. dB/Hz and a !@#$% POWER SWITCH!"  :D

No pretty graphic EQ curves at launch, although the Helix app's Global EQ page has one.

• Upvote 1

With POD HD500X, it deals with how the DSP and MCU communicate, which unfortunately, precludes meaningful EQ values.

When work on Helix started, we said "We don't care if it's hot pink and has nothing but Pignose models in it. dB/Hz and a !@#$% POWER SWITCH!"  :D

No pretty graphic EQ curves at launch, although the Helix app's Global EQ page has one.

Thank God!  Awesome... :D

Thanks, if this ever becomes possible then the Helix can be a direct replacement to the Torpedo Cab!

Still, it's a formidable product, that can do many things. I keep wondering and  hoping that the vibe effect in Helix is better than the M-Series or HD unibive.

The new Univibe model is insane. We actually had to physically model the behavior of incandescent light bulbs to get it right. You can hear it in the video.

• Upvote 1

Question 1: can I use one of the loop with the "pre" section of my guitar combo (aka: 4 cables method)? Are the loops designed to work also this way or I will experience big ground loops and noise?

Question 2: In footswitch mode can I associate che on/off status of each effect to more than one footswitch or I'm limitet to associate the on/off status to only one footswitch as I am with the Pod HD?

Thanks!

That's what got me excited about the Rotary. The Univibe sounds delicious... it was obvious that you were throwing the gauntlet down by featuring it.

I realize that a properly executed rotary will hog DSP and so on. But it is still (along with amp overdrive) the standard by which modeling is judged. A really great rotary is something you're tempted to use WAY too much. My hopes are high!

Thanks for the thread - it is very helpful. 

Question: Will the MIDI connection to iPad permit use of iPad apps with routing of audio from the iPad back to the Helix? I have two applications in mind -

(1) Sending midi from a keyboard to the Helix MIDI input to trigger Animoog, etc. on the iPad and return the audio to the Helix for processing and output; and

(2) Sending audio from Helix to the iPad for processing through audio effects like Flux:FX and routing the audio back to Helix (this is possible using some interfaces and audiobus on the iPad).

I appreciate the information!

Jeremy

Question 1: can I use one of the loop with the "pre" section of my guitar combo (aka: 4 cables method)? Are the loops designed to work also this way or I will experience big ground loops and noise?

Question 2: In footswitch mode can I associate che on/off status of each effect to more than one footswitch or I'm limitet to associate the on/off status to only one footswitch as I am with the Pod HD?

Thanks!

1. Yes, the 4 cable method works great. The nice thing is that it's really easy to set it up with the Helix. You don't have to mess around with setting levels to compensate for anything, and there was no noise. It just works.

2. Yes, you can assign multiple effects to the same footswitch, and you can actually use a custom color for the ring around the switch and create a custom label for the scribble strip above the footswitch. Beyond that, the other thing that is really nice is that you can assign control functions to footswitches. So let's say you had a patch with a distortion pedal and delay on, but you wanted to change the drive level of the distortion and increase the delay mix level during the chorus. You could assign both the distortion drive level and delay mix (and really any other parameters you wanted) to a footswitch. You could even change the behavior of that footswitch to be momentary instead of latching if you want. So the flexibility and usability is through the roof. It's really just limited to your imagination.

Oh, and btw, you can actually assign multiple effects to one footswitch on the HD500X, too.

• Upvote 1

1. Yes, the 4 cable method works great. The nice thing is that it's really easy to set it up with the Helix. You don't have to mess around with setting levels to compensate for anything, and there was no noise. It just works.

Great!

2. Yes, you can assign multiple effects to the same footswitch, and you can actually use a custom color for the ring around the switch and create a custom label for the scribble strip above the footswitch.

Yes, I immagined because also my pod hd500 can do this but I would like to know the inverse... in other words, if I can assign the on/off on 1 effect to more than 1 footswitch.

For esample:

I load a patch with only one overdrive and one delay.

I would like to set it up like this:

fs1: overdrive on; delay on

fs2: overdrive off; delay off

fs3: overdrive on; delay off

fs4: overdrive off; delay off

With the pod HD is not possible. Is this possible with Helix?

Beyond that, the other thing that is really nice is that you can assign control functions to footswitches.

Wow, another great feature!

Thankyou so much,

Flavio

LOL...every once in a while the squeaky wheel actually does get the grease. :P

(1.) How many external Amp functions can be controlled? Some amps (Mesa Mk V etc.) have a ton of features that can be controlled. I would say 4 minimum for the Helix... yes?

(2.) Do we still have to waste effect blocks on things like summing the inputs, like on HD500? I found the inputs/mixer on that unit a bit convoluted.

(3.) Does Line 6 absolutely have to have a different expression pedal than every other piece of gear? It would be so cool to grab any old exp pedal and have the whole sweep, etc.

(4.) Please tell us that the new ROTARY effect is going to make us cry with swirly, dimensional delight. We know you can do it!!!!!!

(5.) Will there be Exp control of levels, or do we insert Volume Pedal blocks for that?

(6.) Buffers on/off for the external loops? (Thinking off fuzz pedals here)

(7.) Can there be selectable polarity for the foot switches - Ex. hitting one switch turns an effect On and another Off?

You guys are truly amazing.

1. With a TRS cable, two (Tip and Ring). With a TS cable, one.

2. No. You can sum the inputs with a merge block before the first processing block or simply assign two separate input blocks to different inputs.

3. No; as with almost all products, you can use pretty much anything, but certain pedals work better than others.

4. The three rotaries sound great.

5. Oh yes. There's EXP, footswitch, MIDI CC, and Variax Tone/Volume knob control of almost everything. And you can assign them in three seconds.

6. No; they're on AD/DAs.

7. Yes. Each Stomp mode footswitch can control up to 8 things: Block on/off (with selectable polarity), parameter [selectable] min/max, and/or Command. Footswitches can be latching or momentary.

(1) Sending midi from a keyboard to the Helix MIDI input to trigger Animoog, etc. on the iPad and return the audio to the Helix for processing and output; and

(2) Sending audio from Helix to the iPad for processing through audio effects like Flux:FX and routing the audio back to Helix (this is possible using some interfaces and audiobus on the iPad).

1. Hmm... Not sure if the MIDI thru is working via USB. I'll have to try it.

2. As long as your setup and apps support multichannel audio, yes. Latency on iPads isn't that hot, though.

Will the Helix provide scene switching capabilities so multiple effect states can be changed without having to switch presets?

No proper scene switching at launch, but footswitches can toggle between values of up to 8 parameters at once, including mic selection, mic distance, etc. And they're really fast and easy to assign.

No proper scene switching at launch, but footswitches can toggle between values of up to 8 parameters at once, including mic selection, mic distance, etc. And they're really fast and easy to assign.

Do they only toggles from the previous state (as the pod HD) or can you set "ON" or "OFF"?

1) what can you tell about the Helix onboard IRs resolution depth and which are the available dedicated parameters?

2) can be assigned multiple cabs/mics to a single amp?

3) are there different response curves available for the pedal?

1. Someone more knowledgeable than me will have to answer the question about resolution. As far as the cab parameters, currently you have the usual ones - mic, mic distance, early reflections. In addition to those, there's also high and low cut parameters and a level control. The IR block has level, mix, and high and low cut.

2. Yes! There are a few ways to do it. There are dual cab blocks that you can input as one block and select and edit each cab independently, or you can actually insert multiple single cab blocks in the signal path. It's very cool. What this means is that we can now create virtual effects loops by putting effects between the amp block and the cab block. I should also add, that the option of having the amp and cab in one block is still available as well. It's pretty slick.

3. Yes! You can choose between linear and logarithmic response curves.

• Upvote 1

musiciansfriend.com is putting it at $1933 for Canada.  Whew! :o  ...That kinda hurts.  I really wish the Canadian dollar would go back up to 1 to 1 with the US dollar.  This 20% difference adds up fast.

... or maybe I should just try and move back to the US. ha 

will the US $1499 price tag translate to £965 UK price tag ?

Depends on currency exchange rates at the time. I know that product pricing here in Canada can change with a significant change in the $US exchange rate even as the price in $US remains stable.

For instance, using the example provided above by the_bees_knees22 the Helix is being offered at $1,933 Cdn based on $1,499 US for the initial shipment. When musiciansfriend.com wants to reorder Helix inventory at some future date, the price from Line 6 could remain at $1,499 US but the price in $Cdn will not likely remain at $1,933. It will be higher or lower, reflecting the movement in the currency exchange rate between now and then.

Does it quantize the recorded loop?

No. The looper's pretty straightforward right now. You can, however, hook up your favorite looper (mine's the Electrix Repeater) and fully integrate both its control and audio into Helix and treat it as if it were inside the box. We're considering making templates specifically for hooking up popular loopers.

• Upvote 3

I have the HD500.  My only complaint about the HD500 was that it wasn't a TRUE BYPASS like my M13.  I want to use the Helix for live gigs with effects only (in true bypass mode if it has it), and use the full features (amp modeling and effects) in the recording studio.  I'm not interested in the 4-cable method.    

Is the Helix a TRUE BYPASS unit like the M13? 

• Line6Tony unpinned and locked this topic