Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix FAQ

Digital_Igloo

Is there a global preset option? IE:

- Preset with amp set clean + loads of effects

- Global preset with amp set dirty and no effects

- Pressing the currently loaded preset switches to the global preset, but remains in the current bank for preset selection.

Having been using my HD500 for a good few years now as both an fx and controller unit alongside my tube amp using the 4 cable method & midi and a full modelling and fx unit with a power amp in live and studio settings I am very very excited about the endless possibilities that are going to come with the new helix unit! As they say, good things come to those who wait. 

• Upvote 1

Not at all. We love our DTs. The issue is simple—Helix's signal and output routing would have to be designed like HD500's if it were to behave the same way with DTs. There are simple workarounds today to get 80% of HD500X's L6 LINK functionality with Helix, which is actually more like 95% of L6 LINK functionality that people actually use. I don't believe there's a single person on the planet using wet-dry-dry-wet stereo with four DTs, which the Dream Rig can currently accomplish.

K.  Does this mean that by using only the L6 link cable, I could, perhaps, copy presets of my fav. amp models and add configuration to it to switch the DT to match the amp?  Or do I need to do it via MIDI?

I obviously don't grok the differences between the "output routing" of the Helix vs. the HD500s, since I've never used a Helix.   But to me, it wouldn't seem to be rocket surgury to have the Helix switch the amp params on a particular path to match the amp being emulated on that path, if that path's destination is a DT amp via the L6 link.  But perhaps the Helix has changed things so much that it just doesn't "fit" anymore.

Also, are you saying that L6 never even tested the WDDW 4XDT configuration, or are you saying that L6 HQ is on a different planet?  (harhar..couldn't resist).  :p

Guys, I just now saw the amps in helix (1st page of this thread). So included all amps of HD (with model packs) minus the line 6 old models ( i don't care), and the acoustic (Vital amp!) ??? Please tell me I am wrong,

Guys, I just now saw the amps in helix (1st page of this thread). So included all amps of HD (with model packs) minus the line 6 old models ( i don't care), and the acoustic (Vital amp!) ??? Please tell me I am wrong,

The amps in Helix aren't HD... They're a new architecture - HX. But, yes, none of the XT/Pod Farm amps are included.

• Upvote 1

Are the three current Helix products announced going to be the whole family or will the family grow a few more iterations?

I would say that's entirely dependent on the success of Helix, Helix Rack, and Helix Control.  ;)

K.  Does this mean that by using only the L6 link cable, I could, perhaps, copy presets of my fav. amp models and add configuration to it to switch the DT to match the amp? Or do I need to do it via MIDI?

Currently, you need to do it via MIDI. If you're willing to hook up the cable, we'll probably include some templates with the Command Center already premapped with DT messages.

Also, are you saying that L6 never even tested the WDDW 4XDT configuration, or are you saying that L6 HQ is on a different planet? (harhar..couldn't resist).

Oh we tested it all right. It was one of the first things I did at Line 6. Total madness. Stacks and stacks of DTs. Took a loooong time to get right.

I would say that's entirely dependent on the success of Helix, Helix Rack, and Helix Control.  ;)

Put your feet in cold water and start/continue working on the other new Helix formats. This thing is out of the park,  hi res impulse responses, multiple I/o audio interface, mad controller, Re-amping... this thing can replace the functionality of countless studio or live Gadgets and does a better job at the same time! Thanks for completely stopping me from considering a Kemper or AXE II. Helix is years ahead. Take that Kemper and Fractal.

I wonder if it has the Input Z-thing.

• Upvote 2

You can do that with a single switch. Each Stomp mode footswitch can be assigned to up to eight items (processing blocks, parameter toggles, Command Center messages). If some blocks are enabled and others are bypassed, pressing the switch will toggle the bypass state of all of them. Stomp mode footswitches can be momentary or latching.

You could also assign the Split > A/B Mix parameter to a footswitch and toggle between two completely different signal paths, with or without the same outputs. If the expression pedal (or Variax knob or MIDI CC) is assigned to that same A/B Mix parameter, you can seamlessly blend between the paths.

This is like my POD HD500 works, right?

The point is that I have 5 main sounds (1) clean; 2) clean+delay; 3) crunch; 4) distorted; 5) distorted+delay) and I need to switch between them (in no specific order) with only 1 foot-press and mantaining the delay trails if I come from a sound with delay. Very simple.

This is possible with other machines of this (or lower) price-tag but at the moment this seems impossibile with Helix.

This is very frustrating because, otherwise, the Helix seems the best multifx on the market. I really hope you can fix this because to me this is a very important/basic feature.

Anyway thanks for your kind reply.

Currently, you need to do it via MIDI. If you're willing to hook up the cable, we'll probably include some templates with the Command Center already premapped with DT messages.

This would be a major benefit/convenience for a lot of us who love our DTs. But it seems to me it would be difficult to obtain the same options available with the HD500X / multiple DT scenario.

I hooked up an L6 Link between my two DT25s. When I plug into the front of the first DT (DT1), the audio reaches both DTs. (not so if I plug into effects return loop of DT1) When I switch channels on DT1, both DTs change channels. When I change topologies on DT1, DT2 remains unchanged.

If I run MIDI to DT1, I can change topologies by sending MIDI commands on channel 1 to that DT.

My question: Will the second DT (DT2) respond over the L6 Link by sending MIDI channel 2 commands or would I need to attach a MIDI cable from DT1 to DT2?

This is like my POD HD500 works, right?

The point is that I have 5 main sounds (1) clean; 2) clean+delay; 3) crunch; 4) distorted; 5) distorted+delay) and I need to switch between them (in no specific order) with only 1 foot-press and mantaining the delay trails if I come from a sound with delay. Very simple.

This is possible with other machines of this (or lower) price-tag but at the moment this seems impossibile with Helix.

This is very frustrating because, otherwise, the Helix seems the best multifx on the market. I really hope you can fix this because to me this is a very important/basic feature.

Anyway thanks for your kind reply.

If I understand you correctly, that can be said this way also, clean, crunch, distortion, delay. I can do currently using the HD500 in one single patch if I have to make sure that the delay trails are maintained.  I can't see why this can't be accomplished in one patch using the Helix. Using one patch you have upto 32 effects DSP prermitting, so I'm sure since the guitar can be feeding the four paths, it seems that one  would be able to put a different amp on each path with a delay in each patch and use the foot switches to turn on/off to get the desired effect.

My question: Will the second DT (DT2) respond over the L6 Link by sending MIDI channel 2 commands or would I need to attach a MIDI cable from DT1 to DT2?

Not sure, but I'm guessing you shouldn't need a second MIDI cable.

If I understand you correctly, that can be said this way also, clean, crunch, distortion, delay. I can do currently using the HD500 in one single patch if I have to make sure that the delay trails are maintained.  I can't see why this can't be accomplished in one patch using the Helix. Using one patch you have upto 32 effects DSP prermitting, so I'm sure since the guitar can be feeding the four paths, it seems that one  would be able to put a different amp on each path with a delay in each patch and use the foot switches to turn on/off to get the desired effect.

Hi DeanDinosaur! The problem comes when I have to switch between these sound with only one button. I don't want to do tip-tap because with my band I need really fast switching when I'm doing quite complicated stuff and I can't manage to press two or more buttons in a row.

Hi DeanDinosaur! The problem comes when I have to switch between these sound with only one button. I don't want to do tip-tap because with my band I need really fast switching when I'm doing quite complicated stuff and I can't manage to press two or more buttons in a row.

Like you said earlier, hopefully they can get scenes functionality in a later firmware or allow the effects or amps to be controlled by more than one foot switch so one foot switch can turn an amp and at the same time turn two or three other thing off always and not just toggle  (I guess that's the same thing as a scene effectively).As is though, it can still be workable to a certain degree since the delay can be assigned to the same foot switch that's assigned to the  Split > A/B Mix parameter to toggle between two completely different signal paths in the same patch and the delay will maintain its trails if its placed in a spot applicable to all the paths.

This is going to look awesome sitting next to my HD500X that's plugged into a DT25, sitting next to my Vetta II Combo with FBV longboard!!!  Plus in the future I'll be able to open my own Line 6 museum.

You guys are great!

Fourteen LCDs… Really?

Yes, really. All that feedback makes a huge difference in the heat of the gig, especially when you custom label and/or custom color your switches. It also means we have more feature design flexibility in the future, because functionality isn’t restricted by chassis silkscreen.

Will each of these Scribble Strip LCDs have independent LCD Contrast control? I ask because the Sweetwater Helix demo reveals these LCDs suffer the same "poor contrast" issue as the HD500 / HD500x. From my perspective the Helix LCD Scribble Strips have poor contrast and barely legible from various off axis viewing angles. 

My same complaint with the impossible to read LCD display on HD500/ HD500X, which requires constant twiddling of its contrast adjust as the viewing angle changes when it heats up. 

line-6-pod-hd500x-video-the-haunted-spli

1434392694_1119718739_Helixpoorcontrast.

As mentioned previously, I think having power amp models as their own block would be a brilliant tool for us who use the 4 cable method and want to record silently. If it were possible the chain would be;

Guitar - pre fx - fx loop (for amp preamp) - power amp sim - cab sim - post fx - out to interface.

I did it once before and had to do the power amp sim and cab sim in logic which worked but would be much better as an all in one in the unit itself especially with it being the mother ship of connectivity! 

I'm still using my Vetta (!) for my rig but it's now showing serious signs of playing up (refusing to save, being generally temperamental, etc!) but the sounds it still makes are awesome. Have been considering an Axe FX to get anywhere close in terms of sounds and functionality but am seriously stoked about the look of this thing!  Am just hoping that the sounds it can produce will be as good if not better than those I can currently get out of my Vetta!!!!

A few more questions for the FAQ:

1. how many AD/DA converters in the Helix and what are the specs?

2. is there a list of cabs and mics for Helix? are they all new models?

3. can the looper be time synced to external gear or a DAW?

This looks amazing. I've been happy using an HD500 as the center of my solo Chapman Stick rig and always appreciated Line6's support for dual inputs (for each pickup of the Stick). I assume the Aux input will continue to support instrument level/impedance (at least 1 MOhm?) Variable Z on that input would be great too but I suppose overkill for most people (the passive Stick pickups tend to like input impedance at 2-3 MOhms, but it's a subtle difference).

Having parallel effects chains on EACH pickup (4 chains total) was something I used to do more but gave up for the sake of simplicity (didn't want to carry around a rack of effects or two floor pedals), and it looks like this will be possible now on one floor unit! Very cool.

I added a Strymon BigSky to improve upon the reverb quality of the HD500 and find I use it quite a lot as a sort of "sustain pedal" (using the Freeze function), and there's a lot of cool stuff on the BigSky (like the chorale and cloud modes) so I think I'd continue to use that in an effects loop, but if the reverbs have been upgraded on the Helix even better.

It's been addressed several times; I should probably add it to the FAQ. We don't know, as optimizing preset switching time is one of the last things to do. There's no such thing as perfectly seamless preset switching, unless we used four DSPs and charged waaaaay more. We're including templates for simple switching from within a single preset. The Split blocks can act as Ys, A/Bs, or Crossovers, and switching between the paths can be either instant (via footswitch) or dynamic (controlled via expression pedal, Variax knob, or MIDI CC).

So is it safe to assume the way this was designed, you guys planned on us setting up a clean and a distorted chain in the same patch and using a footswitch to turn on / off multiple amps / effects at the same time?  effectively switching patches but without ever actually leaving the patch.  With the capability of using 4 amps in a single patch could you (in theory) setup two chains with two amps a piece and switch back and forth between them? 

I bet Digital_igloo is hoping that when the next "big thing" is released, they have the manuals ready first!   :)

One would hope but in the FAQ he says the only thing it comes with is a single page cut sheet...  who knows?  Firehawk and Amplifi didn't get any sort of serious manuals...

One would hope but in the FAQ he says the only thing it comes with is a single page cut sheet...  who knows?  Firehawk and Amplifi didn't get any sort of serious manuals...

I thought I saw DI make a reference to an Owner's manual, here or on TheGearPage.   I think the quick start sheet is the only thing that's ready.  

I think they will still have a pilot's guide/owner's manual.  Even if they don't plan on it, I think this thread and the one on TheGearPage show the customers need and crave details.   I think Line6 wanted to get Helix announced at the Sweetwater event, and it was before the final touches were finished.  

I think they will still have a pilot's guide/owner's manual.  Even if they don't plan on it, I think this thread and the one on TheGearPage show the customers need and crave details.

Yeah, I truly hope so.  As good as the Advanced Guide was for the HD500, there were still so many unanswered questions about how things worked and NEVER any clarification from Line 6 for whatever reason.  I really hope since this is really geared towards the touring musician and recording professionals that they would offer a complete operations manual rather than just a frigging Pilot's Guide... unless this comes with wings of course...  :)

Manual will be on included thumb drive.

One would hope but in the FAQ he says the only thing it comes with is a single page cut sheet... who knows? Firehawk and Amplifi didn't get any sort of serious manuals...

Hey DI!

I posted a question on sevenstring.org, but wasn't able to read your answer before the mods intervened. So just let me ask here again since I'm really curious about some features of the Helix...

a) Will The Helix be able to do switchless wah for its expression pedal? Will it be able to support spring loaded expression wahs right out of the box? Or at least program an expression pedal to have the wah come in as soon as I move the treadle and come off as soon as i return it to zero position or take my foot off the pedal. You know? Morley Bad Horsie style like the switchless wah mode on Fractals and Atomics.

b)4 Cable Mode on the HD500X is a pain! We had to play with levels in the I/Os and mixer to get into unity level with a tube amp. And that Unity level is HARD to zero in with the POD. What are the improvements in the Helix that will address integration in 4cm with tube amps? Will you still have to contend with volume and tone loss in the effects loop depending on what amp you are connecting to?

Thanks!!! Killer floorboard here guys!

• Line6Tony unpinned and locked this topic