Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix FAQ

Digital_Igloo

Minus the CCs reserved for global functions, Helix can learn (or manually assign) 94 CCs, although controller assignment is limited to 64 total per preset.

MIDI CC assignment is accomplished in a similar manner as in this video, except instead of moving the expression pedal or Variax knob after pressing Knob 6 (Learn Controller), you send Helix the desired MIDI CC.

EDIT: Just watched the video again. At 42 seconds, there should be a shot of Sean moving the expression pedal to "Learn" it. That must've been lost in editing. And although Sean's assigning one controller to one parameter (EXP 1, EXP 2, and a Variax knob), a controller can actually control multiple parameters.

• Upvote 1

I agree, and I'm thrilled to have confirmation of dynamic parameter mapping to MIDI protocol.  I'm already dreaming of ways to use this with MidiDesigner Pro for iOS.

Yep. Since Helix is a class-compliant MIDI device, add an Apple Camera Kit, and you're good to go. Don't quote me, but I believe QA was using the Lemur app to control Helix a while ago.

• Upvote 2

Here's the dimensions I found listed by DI, or silverhead, or phil_m, or TheRealZap, sorry can't remember who, for all the Helix products:

Helix  22.05 x 11.85 x 3.6 inches; 14.6 lbs.

Helix Rack  19 x 5.25 x 9.5 inches; 9.3 lbs.

Helix Control  17.2 x 2.5 x 9.4 inches; 7.2 lbs.

Specifically for the Helix Rack, does anyone know how far off the face panel those two handles extend?  Is that part of the 9.5" depth?

You mentioned earlier that the looper is treated like any other effect block and can be placed anywhere in the signal chain (which is awesome!)  Is it safe to assume that memory constraints limit the user to one instance of the looper?  It would be so awesome if you could split the available RAM (and therefore maximum loop time, evenly or otherwise) and place multiple loopers in creative places in the signal path.  This, with creative assignment of pedals, could be used to build out some amazing creative tools!

Specifically for the Helix Rack, does anyone know how far off the face panel those two handles extend?  Is that part of the 9.5" depth?

Dunno; will have to check.

You mentioned earlier that the looper is treated like any other effect block and can be placed anywhere in the signal chain (which is awesome!) Is it safe to assume that memory constraints limit the user to one instance of the looper? It would be so awesome if you could split the available RAM (and therefore maximum loop time, evenly or otherwise) and place multiple loopers in creative places in the signal path. This, with creative assignment of pedals, could be used to build out some amazing creative tools!

www.line6.ideascale.com  ;)

Currently, Helix supports one looper block per preset.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the quick reply, DI.  Reading my question back, I guess I could have gotten creative and thought of a more creative word than creative. Creative. ;)

gifted
ingenious
innovative
inventive
original
productive
prolific
visionary
originative
clever

The power of Google!  :D
  • Upvote 1

Just a few question - I'm about to pull the trigger on a pre-order.  BUT I want to clear up a few things.   I've toured with the HD 500 for almost as long as it's been out - and it's been great - with a few exceptions that I hope this item solves.

1 - Is there a signal loss from the Guitar input to the FX send (any of them)?   In The HD - and it's WELL documented in these forums now - theres a noticable difference that killed an amps natural tone because there was about a 3dB difference (lower) between input and the FX send. will there be unity gain from input to effects send and the only thing affecting the signal will be what "Blocks" you put on the Chain?

2 - I'm seeing that there is a possibility of running up to 32 blocks (which I assume means Effects/or Amps - but for my case, I haven't ONCE used amps from the HD - It's only for Effects) Is that True?

3 - If #2 is the case, will it ever be possible to have an extension switch for the Helix floorboard?  Or to make a firmware update that allows you to connect the Floorboard to the Rack Footcontroller through the VDI - so that you basically have instant access to ALL effects in your chain?

I'll NEVER use 32 effects in a patch - but my current TOTAL Effects count for a live show is getting to about 20, and with the HD - I have to split it across about 5 or 6 patches and I'd like to Avoid that, I'd like to have them all on some individual switch that can be labeled.  Would be amazing.

3 - If Question 3 = NO - then is it possible to hook up an external MIDI controller to add the flexibility (like a mastermind, or some other programmable footcontroller?

Very stoked about this guys - Your stuff usually lives up to the hype - and I hope that's the case with this one.

Cheers,

Just a few question - I'm about to pull the trigger on a pre-order. BUT I want to clear up a few things. I've toured with the HD 500 for almost as long as it's been out - and it's been great - with a few exceptions that I hope this item solves.

1 - Is there a signal loss from the Guitar input to the FX send (any of them)? In The HD - and it's WELL documented in these forums now - theres a noticable difference that killed an amps natural tone because there was about a 3dB difference (lower) between input and the FX send. will there be unity gain from input to effects send and the only thing affecting the signal will be what "Blocks" you put on the Chain?

2 - I'm seeing that there is a possibility of running up to 32 blocks (which I assume means Effects/or Amps - but for my case, I haven't ONCE used amps from the HD - It's only for Effects) Is that True?

3 - If #2 is the case, will it ever be possible to have an extension switch for the Helix floorboard? Or to make a firmware update that allows you to connect the Floorboard to the Rack Footcontroller through the VDI - so that you basically have instant access to ALL effects in your chain?

I'll NEVER use 32 effects in a patch - but my current TOTAL Effects count for a live show is getting to about 20, and with the HD - I have to split it across about 5 or 6 patches and I'd like to Avoid that, I'd like to have them all on some individual switch that can be labeled. Would be amazing.

3 - If Question 3 = NO - then is it possible to hook up an external MIDI controller to add the flexibility (like a mastermind, or some other programmable footcontroller?

Very stoked about this guys - Your stuff usually lives up to the hype - and I hope that's the case with this one.

Cheers,

Regarding #3, one of the primary topics today has been MIDI flexibility. There are certain premapped CC controls a la HD series for toggling foot switches and controlling expression pedals. The super mega awesome part is that there are up to 94 (I think) additional control change messages that you can assign to your parameter of choice-on off toggles, ramp ups and downs,etc. You can definitely extend functionality with another foot pedal. You can also control with any midi controller like a keyboard or an iOS device. I recommend MIDIDesignerPro-you can assign a foot pedal to it and create visual cues on your iPad to see what you're controlling-kind of like the scribble strips.

Hello Line6,

If you are going to include “scenes†in the helix, this will be the ultimate FX-processor!!! I would instantly buy one.

The possibilities are endless by now, but with the option to store scenes, the ease of use would make a quantum leap forward!!!

Cheers,

MAX

1) All parameters available from the Home page except for Variax specific parameters. This includes Input, Output, Split, Merge, and Looper parameters.

2) There are dedicated global CCs that will predictably emulate whatever, say, footswitch 11 does, or Looper Forward/Reverse, but any non-global CC can be learned (or manually assigned) in the exact same way as expression pedals, footswitches, or Variax knobs. That is, assigning the rotary speaker speed to your MIDI keyboard's mod wheel takes three seconds. If you attempt to learn a dedicated global CC, Helix will ask you to pick another.

As with expression pedals, the same (non-global) CC can control multiple parameters with specific min-max ranges (even in reverse).

And as always, the explanation is always way more complicated than how it works in practice. In many ways you don't need to know anything about MIDI other than IN goes to OUT and vice versa.

How about MIDI CLOCK Master? Can Helix be the midiclock master based on the pacth BPM assignment?

Just a few question - I'm about to pull the trigger on a pre-order.  BUT I want to clear up a few things.   I've toured with the HD 500 for almost as long as it's been out - and it's been great - with a few exceptions that I hope this item solves.

1 - Is there a signal loss from the Guitar input to the FX send (any of them)?   In The HD - and it's WELL documented in these forums now - theres a noticable difference that killed an amps natural tone because there was about a 3dB difference (lower) between input and the FX send. will there be unity gain from input to effects send and the only thing affecting the signal will be what "Blocks" you put on the Chain?

3 - If #2 is the case, will it ever be possible to have an extension switch for the Helix floorboard?  Or to make a firmware update that allows you to connect the Floorboard to the Rack Footcontroller through the VDI - so that you basically have instant access to ALL effects in your chain?

I'll NEVER use 32 effects in a patch - but my current TOTAL Effects count for a live show is getting to about 20, and with the HD - I have to split it across about 5 or 6 patches and I'd like to Avoid that, I'd like to have them all on some individual switch that can be labeled.  Would be amazing.

Cheers,

1. Well, whenever you put a device in your chain, there's going to some signal loss of some sort. The question is is it noticeable. I have had no problem achieving unity gain through the Helix used for effects only both just in front of my amp and in the 4CM. If you set the 1/4" outs to instrument level, and turn the master volume knob to 100%, it sure sounds like unity gain to me.

2. Yes, it's possible to run up to 32 blocks. How close you can get actually get to that number would be dependent on the type of effects you use.

3. This is already sort of possible via MIDI. Although, you're still kind of limited to the 10 footswitch assignments for turning effects on and off. If you were creative, though, I'm sure there would be ways to have all the control you need. The one thing I'll say is that using multiple presets is probably not be as big a deal as you think. Because of the scribble strips, you always know what your switch assignments are. You're not stuck trying to remember what effects you had assigned where.

1 - Is there a signal loss from the Guitar input to the FX send (any of them)? In The HD - and it's WELL documented in these forums now - theres a noticable difference that killed an amps natural tone because there was about a 3dB difference (lower) between input and the FX send. will there be unity gain from input to effects send and the only thing affecting the signal will be what "Blocks" you put on the Chain?

3 - If #2 is the case, will it ever be possible to have an extension switch for the Helix floorboard? Or to make a firmware update that allows you to connect the Floorboard to the Rack Footcontroller through the VDI - so that you basically have instant access to ALL effects in your chain?

1) The signal path through Helix is ultra-quiet (we have 123dB of dynamic range from the Guitar In, which AFAIK, leads the industry), and 4CM should absolutely be unity gain.

2) You would really have to love volume pedals, noise gates, and EQs to get 32 simultaneous blocks. If you run 4 Amp+Cabs, you'll be lucky to add more than a few effects. If you want to run more than one amp and a handful of effects, expect to route Path 1 into Path 2 (which is really simple, BTW).

3) Helix Control can't act as Helix floor expansion, and currently, individual block bypass is not available via MIDI (although you could easily assign Mix parameters via MIDI). Both would make good IdeaScale submissions.

How about MIDI CLOCK Master? Can Helix be the midiclock master based on the pacth BPM assignment?

Not at launch.

• Upvote 1

What about software compatibility?  When my X3Live cratered and I bought an HD 500X a couple of months ago, I've had to start everything from the ground up.  I didn't realize that I I had a "signature" sound on the X3L, but I've not been able to recreate it.  I've actually thought of selling my HD and going back to the X3.

It would be nice if past tones could translated to the next, new improved device.

So, will my .5xe tones import to the Helix?  I'm not interested in starting from the ground up on yet another device in a few more months, when I haven't really gotten the HD 500x anywhere close to where I need it to be.

Rack / controller vs board.

What do get for the extra money for the rack/controller combo that we won't get with board except from the form factor. With Pod HD(x) we got additional I/O and if I remember correctly, +48 for the mic. Oh the Helix we seems to loose a pedal and switch and $500.

Please tell me I missed something here.

1) The signal path through Helix is ultra-quiet (we have 123dB of dynamic range from the Guitar In, which AFAIK, leads the industry), and 4CM should absolutely be unity gain.

For comparison, what is the dynamic range from the Guitar In in the POD HD500?

I apologize if this has already been covered (11 pages and I just can't skim fast enough) but:

Can the Helix be used to send class-compliant MIDI and Audio simultaneously over USB to an iPad?  And if not, how about one or the other?

American Musical actually emailed me and said there were 11 of us on pre-order and that they expect their 1st 25 units by July 15th.

We'll see.  LoL!   8 payment interest free plan was the ticket, though!!!  :)

Helix: No tight integration with DT amps?

Line6: be serious, it's a major step backward to what we experience with HD500/DT integration.

Line6 users invested  lot in HD/DT integration and now you're just say: "Yeah, maybe one day with Helix..."

If I have to give up Helix/DT Integration because I lose features, I'll switch to Fractal or TC solutions as they do not require to scrap all I've built  for years. I LOVE DT amps and I'll keep it for sure, but there is no way I'll go for Helix id it doesn't integrate TIGHTLY with DT amp series.

Please respect users loyalty by making sure we can leverage what we invested...

Line6: be serious, it's a major step backward to what we experience with HD500/DT integration.

Line6 users invested  lot in HD/DT integration and now you're just say: "Yeah, maybe one day with Helix..."

If I have to give up Helix/DT Integration because I lose features, I'll switch to Fractal or TC solutions as they do not require to scrap all I've built  for years. I LOVE DT amps and I'll keep it for sure, but there is no way I'll go for Helix id it doesn't integrate TIGHTLY with DT amp series.

Please respect users loyalty by making sure we can leverage what we invested...

If you have not done so already, please vote for the ideascale request for keeping the current DT/L6 Link integration with Helix. Here is the link:

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/DT-amp-compatibility-for-Helix/726817-23508

There are also a number of other ideas you might want to vote for which can be found here:

http://line6.com/support/topic/14497-helix-ideascale-community-submissions/

Cheers

Just so you know, Fractal and TC do not integrate tightly with DT Amps either, so you really should just be comparing Helix features and price with Fractal and TC features and price.

What is the version of specification of USB port of Helix?

POD HD devices used as Audio Interface has some limitations because of half-duplex mode of port USB v2.0 specification. Actually, the specifications USB v3.0 and v3.1 allow full-duplex mode.

See also: USB 3.0 Pinouts (about half-duplex and full-duplex)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Cable_plugs_.28USB_3.0.29

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/computer-based-recording/computer-audio-set-up-and-troubleshooting/usb-audio-troubleshooting-r443

Really? I have never experienced any noticeable lag at all with my JTV and HD500. Is this straight to an amp or are you talking about recording?

Straight to studio monitors or headphone amp, as well as the h'phone outs on the unit itself.

Might I suggest you try plugging an analog guitar or the JTV with PUs active via 1/4" jack to something like a small tube combo if you're somehow able to? Humour me. You'll see what I mean about "immediacy" and feeling disconnected, or in this case, connected. The difference is like night and day, and I can't imagine how any musician could possibly miss it. My guess is that you may, as I implied, need to recalibrate your senses by trying the above exercise.

If you still don't feel the difference, then I say more power to you; you're a lucky bugger and I can't tell you how much I envy your position!

Thanks for readin', bro'... and go the 'Pies.

Digital Igloo, I can't seem to find an answer from you on the throughput-latency question I asked 4 or 5 pages back. Do you have a figure in ms for, say, an analog-source guitar through the Helix to its main outs?

Any response will be appreciated.

• Upvote 2

Some writing in diff. forums about The amp models.... The same as HD or not? - i remember Reading a post from DI, writing about The use of a Lot of "man-hour" in the (new?) amp models - Can you clarify this isue DI?

-thanks a Lot, awesome job

I'd still love to find out about mono summed stereo paths and phase correction.

It's not automatic (don't really know if such a thing is even possible), but the Merge block, which is kind of the opposite of the split block, has a polarity parameter for Path B, so yes, you should be able to take care of phasing issues with that.

Unfortunately, no Vocoder at launch.

Hello,

this sounds as though the release of a vocoder effect is already planned for the Helix in an update. Did I get that right or should I better put a vocoder up on Ideascale?

Super super stoked for the release of Helix - cheers!

• Upvote 1

• Line6Tony unpinned and locked this topic