Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix FAQ

Digital_Igloo

1) Will the looping function be capable of making separate parts of a song? ie. a stack of loops for the verse, then stomp a different button to switch to a stack of loops you've made for the chorus, a stack of loops for the bridge, etc.

2) Given that amps were modelled on a component level- down the road is there a possibility that components could be mixed & matched? ie. choose your preamp tube type, tone stack, rectifier type, power amp tube type, transformer type, etc.

3) The harmony delay in some promotional photos appears to have 4 pages of 5 parameters- with the basic/common parameters all on the first page, and a synth block has been mentioned with 24 parameters- are parameter counts of around 20 common in this pedal? I would consider this an enormous plus!

4) Are future updates planned to be an as-needed patch-fixing type of thing (like the minimal updates seen in the M series), or are they planned to be an ongoing thing (like Zoom's MultiStomp Bluetooth which had a new effect added every few weeks for 2 years or so)?

• Upvote 1

Is it possible to use a stereo instrument that has an internal preamp with the Helix? I'm Considering the Helix for Chapman Stick.

I've heard people using the HD500X's guitar and aux inputs for this as they had adjustable impedance inputs, I think...

i) Will it have bass amps in it for mainly guitarists but ocassional bassists like me?

It will contain at least these:

SV Beast Nrm

SV Beast Brt

Cali Bass (assuming this is actually a bass amp. No clue what it's modeled after)

G Cougar 800

Cali 400 Ch1

Cali 400 Ch2

These two were listed with the rest of the bass amps on the list I found. Not sure what these are modeled after either.

The SV Beasts and the G cougar 800 are from the bass model pack for the POD HD, and they are really good. It's a good taste of what they might sound like on the Helix since they were made using the HX modeling, then modified for the POD HD.

not an official answer... but i think that "Cali" tends to mean Mesa in these instances...

It will contain at least these:

SV Beast Nrm
SV Beast Brt
Cali Bass (assuming this is actually a bass amp. No clue what it's modeled after)
G Cougar 800

Cali 400 Ch1
Cali 400 Ch2

These two were listed with the rest of the bass amps on the list I found. Not sure what these are modeled after either.

The SV Beasts and the G cougar 800 are from the bass model pack for the POD HD, and they are really good. It's a good taste of what they might sound like on the Helix since they were made using the HX modeling, then modified for the POD HD.

So every tone of wanna play along or try and get a part down I'm gonna have to add an input into a signal path. $1500 for a product 5 years of development. Something as simple as this is left out.

Consider voting for the "global signal path" request on IdeaScale.  This would allow you to set up returns once and have that routing apply to all of your tones.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Optional-Global-signal-path/741927-23508

1) Will the looping function be capable of making separate parts of a song? ie. a stack of loops for the verse, then stomp a different button to switch to a stack of loops you've made for the chorus, a stack of loops for the bridge, etc.

Hard to make a looper "all things to everyone".  One simple way to keep things flexible, extensible, specific to one's individual preferences, is to allow for multiple instances of the looper block in any given patch/preset.  Consider voting for the idea on IdeaScale:

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Multiple-Looper-effect-blocks-for-Helix/741138-23508

Posted this in another thread, but that thread "Helix Effects" is dropping like a rock.  Briefly this time:  will any of the pitch-shifting effects in Helix be of high enough quality to do full guitar detune/ capo settings a la EHX Pitchfork, Droptune, etc?  This is something I used a lot in my Kemper, and I would think the Helix would have enough processing power to do the same.

Posted this in another thread, but that thread "Helix Effects" is dropping like a rock.  Briefly this time:  will any of the pitch-shifting effects in Helix be of high enough quality to do full guitar detune/ capo settings a la EHX Pitchfork, Droptune, etc?  This is something I used a lot in my Kemper, and I would think the Helix would have enough processing power to do the same.

I don't think it's a matter of processing power. Line 6 just hasn't developed any polyphonic pitch shifting effects. I know that some people have had some success tuning down a half step with some of the pitch shifter in the HD, so that might be possible in the Helix still. But overall, no, there's no dedicated polyphonic pitch shifting.

I don't think it's a matter of processing power. Line 6 just hasn't developed any polyphonic pitch shifting effects. I know that some people have had some success tuning down a half step with some of the pitch shifter in the HD, so that might be possible in the Helix still. But overall, no, there's no dedicated polyphonic pitch shifting.

Bummer.  Any hope of its being considered in future?  Worth adding to IdeaScale?

Bummer.  Any hope of its being considered in future?  Worth adding to IdeaScale?

Doubt this will arrive as IMHO  its a conflict of interest, since it might impact sales of Line 6's current Drop Tuning Solution below:

JamesTylerVariax.jpg

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't be surprised if it's something they plan to address. It would be worth requesting, imo.

• Upvote 1

Doubt this will arrive as IMHO  its a conflict of interest, since it might impact sales of Line 6's current Drop Tuning Solution below:

Yeah, I said the very same thing in my original post on this topic.  Still had to ask, though.  :)

I don't really think the Variax alternate tuning is playing into their development of more sophisticated pitch shifting. The alternate tuning capabilities on the Variax will still outperform any polyphonic pitch shifting they make just because on the Variax you're free to shift each string individually. I just think for whatever reason it's not something Line 6 has seen as a high priority. I do think that as far as effects go, it's probably something that only a minority of guitarists ever really use. Doesn't mean I don't want a nice POG model, though.

I just think for whatever reason it's not something Line 6 has seen as a high priority. I do think that as far as effects go, it's probably something that only a minority of guitarists ever really use.

This surprises me somewhat, given the popularity of Line 6 with metal players, and the popularity of modelers in general with players in cover bands, where quick detunes are frequently necessary (usually necessitating multiple guitars.)  Maybe my affinity for old Black Sabbath LP's has me a little biased here.

Anyway, I'll get it on IdeaScale - votes don't lie.  :)  Of course I have no idea what kind of investment would be required to develop this effect, so it may be a moot point anyway.

This surprises me somewhat, given the popularity of Line 6 with metal players, and the popularity of modelers in general with players in cover bands, where quick detunes are frequently necessary (usually necessitating multiple guitars.)  Maybe my affinity for old Black Sabbath LP's has me a little biased here.

Anyway, I'll get it on IdeaScale - votes don't lie.   :)  Of course I have no idea what kind of investment would be required to develop this effect, so it may be a moot point anyway.

I was just going to ask if the Helix had a polyphonic pitch glide in store for us but I have been beaten to the punch. Hook us up with the link on ideascale when you create it and I will be happy to vote for it too.

• Upvote 1

I was just going to ask if the Helix had a polyphonic pitch glide in store for us but I have been beaten to the punch. Hook us up with the link on ideascale when you create it and I will be happy to vote for it too.

Thanks, and you got it:  http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/High-quality-detune-capo-a-la-EHX-Pitchfork-etc/754044-23508

Helix rack looking amazing. I'll be buying as soon as I've got this kidney removed and listed on ebay...

What kind of shape is the kidney in?? How many drinking hours are on it?? 

What kind of shape is the kidney in?? How many drinking hours are on it?? 

Top of the range grade 1 Scottish Kidney, has been stress tested for many years under laboratory conditions with a full range of ethanol based products. Collection only, buyer provides ice.

• Upvote 1

Top of the range grade 1 Scottish Kidney, has been stress tested for many years under laboratory conditions with a full range of ethanol based products. Collection only, buyer provides ice.

Quick, somebody photoshop mock eBay listing lol

We'll have to organise compatibility testing somehow.

Rejection by the Scottish kidney of sub-par, cheap liquor is a distinct possibility...

Has nobody asked yet?  How are the EQ's displayed?  PLEASE tell me it's not in percentage...  Are there graphic displays?

hehe...the most important thing anyone can do in an eq context, is close your eyes when you are tweaking and look later...trust me...takes a lifetime to resist the look...and once mastered, you will throw a lot of gear out ;-)

Howdy

I use a fairly complex rig that uses a lappy, Ableton Live (with pod farm, grig etc), and I play electric, acoustic (both with midi) and a percussion rig which feeds into the system. I see that helix would simply my set up massively and $1500 is pretty reasonable if it does the job. I cant find a manual yet (please direct me if I'm wrong) but here are some questions that would really help me 

1. When feeding separate ins to the rear jacks, can these be routed via the usb into Live and back out again (pretty standard but just asking the question)
  2. Can the pedals be programmed for different behaviours eg double tap, short tap, long hold etc (I reprogrammed an essandust eprom for an fcb1010 and its simplifies operation greatly)
  3. How flexible is the programming of the foot switches with midi ie I want to use helix as a master controller for live and wondering how it handles setting the scribble strips etc ie

I currently use

Bank 1 as general 'playing parameters' eg tap, master vol controls, global start stop looping etc, 

Bank 2 is dedicated to 4 Live tracks and switching for guitar,

Bank 3 is for 4 Live track and Synth/midi stuff and so on for vox, percussion etc

You get the idea...Helix sounds like great tone, but master controller would be cream.

Thanks

Is there a better clean fender model now?..there are so many great tones but have never found a twang as good as the NI model with slider single coil pups...Im hoping

Been loving my HD500 and Kudos to you Line 6 on the Helix! It looks and sounds great! 

I  always thought the Amp volume on the HD500 was integral to it's tone like a real Tube amp until I reread the manual recently.

Seems my ears had me hearing and believing some interaction. But when I tried tonight to lower the input gain and increase the output gain  it was as it says in the manual.

Does the Helix have a modeled power amp section  on the Amp models?

Is there a more graduated scale of distortion in the gain?

As it is with the HD500 the gain can be very touchy on some high gain models at the mid sweet spot where the slightest increment increases both gain an volume enormously then little change for a 1/5th of a turn.or so..

1. When feeding separate ins to the rear jacks, can these be routed via the usb into Live and back out again (pretty standard but just asking the question)
  2. Can the pedals be programmed for different behaviours eg double tap, short tap, long hold etc (I reprogrammed an essandust eprom for an fcb1010 and its simplifies operation greatly)
  3. How flexible is the programming of the foot switches with midi ie I want to use helix as a master controller for live and wondering how it handles setting the scribble strips etc ie

I currently use

Bank 1 as general 'playing parameters' eg tap, master vol controls, global start stop looping etc, 

Bank 2 is dedicated to 4 Live tracks and switching for guitar,

Bank 3 is for 4 Live track and Synth/midi stuff and so on for vox, percussion etc

You get the idea...Helix sounds like great tone, but master controller would be cream.

1. Yes.

2. No; the programmable footswitches can be set to latching or momentary

3. Each preset can assign a single MIDI or CV message to each footswitch, expression pedal, and Variax knob, as well as six "Instant" buffered commands that engage upon preset recall. These can be layered with any other footswitch assignments (block bypass, controllers, etc.).

Does the Helix have a modeled power amp section on the Amp models?

Yes, but it's not available separately—it's part of the Amp (or Amp+Cab) block.

Not sure if this was answered yet, but I'm very interested in exactly this:

Yes, I immagined because also my pod hd500 can do this but I would like to know the inverse... in other words, if I can assign the on/off on 1 effect to more than 1 footswitch.

For esample:

I load a patch with only one overdrive and one delay.
I would like to set it up like this:

fs1: overdrive on; delay on
fs2: overdrive off; delay off
fs3: overdrive on; delay off
fs4: overdrive off; delay off

With the pod HD is not possible. Is this possible with Helix?

I use my HD500x like a pedalboard.  I don't use the amp mods, not that they are bad, I just really like my Rivera.

I would like to be able to use Scenes (for lack of a better word) such as:

FS1 - amp clean channel, ducking delay, chorus

FS2 - amp clean channel, ducking delay off, chorus off, tube screamer on

FS3 - amp dirty channel, no FX

FS4 - amp dirty channel, amp lead boost, ping pong delay

I would like to turn individual FX off when pressing one of the FS1-FS4 buttons.  Sort of like having presets within a preset.

This would make the Helix the best thing on the market for me and eliminate the need for seamless patch changes!

From D.I.

Models:

WhoWatt 100

Soup Pro

Stone Age 185

Tweed Blues Nrm

Tweed Blues Brt

US Small Tweed

US Deluxe Nrm

US Deluxe Vib

US Double Nrm

US Double Vib

Mail Order Twin

Divided Duo

Interstate Zed

Jazz Rivet 120

Essex A-15

Essex A-30

A-30 Fawn Nrm

A-30 Fawn Brt

Mandarin 80

Brit J-45 Nrm

Brit J-45 Brt

Brit Plexi Nrm

Brit Plexi Brt

Brit Plexi Jump

Brit P-75 Nrm

Brit P-75 Brt

Brit J-800

German Mahadeva

German Ubersonic

Cali Rectifire

ANGL Meteor

Solo Lead Clean

Solo Lead Crunch

Solo Lead OD

PV Panama

Line 6 Elektrik

Line 6 Doom

Line 6 Epic

Tuck n' Go

SV Beast Nrm

SV Beast Brt

Cali Bass

Cali 400 Ch1

Cali 400 Ch2

G Cougar 800

Was glad to see that it already had the bass amps that were in the HD Bass Amp Pack. The G Cougar 800 sounds really good!

3. Each preset can assign a single MIDI or CV message to each footswitch, expression pedal, and Variax knob, as well as six "Instant" buffered commands that engage upon preset recall. These can be layered with any other footswitch assignments (block bypass, controllers, etc.).

Thanks for the reply;

So Im assuming the scribble is simply stored with the preset also...can you access the scribble (or the preset) leds via midi/usb to reprog on the fly? Ie provide feedback via host?

1. Yes.

2. No; the programmable footswitches can be set to latching or momentary

Yes, but it's not available separately—it's part of the Amp (or Amp+Cab) block.

Thanks for the reply;

Re 2.

So the capacitive touch ability is not linked to midi? Correct. Its just a straight foot switch then?

re 3.

So the scribble leds are simply stored with the preset? Can you prog the scribble and preset display via external usb/midi? ie for dynamic display of feedback type params?

Cheers

So the capacitive touch ability is not linked to midi? Correct. Its just a straight foot switch then?

So the scribble leds are simply stored with the preset? Can you prog the scribble and preset display via external usb/midi? ie for dynamic display of feedback type params?

Currently, cap touch is used exclusively for selecting items and assigning footswitches.

Once the full editor ships, you'll be able to program the scribble strips and custom LED ring colors from your Mac/PC, but not via SysEx/MIDI.

I can't remember if I've read this or not, but at the more professional price range can we expect free add one (amps, effects, ext...) on a somewhat regular basis over the next 2 years or so? In the case of the pod and other cheaper modelers I understand paying for add one but at a price range like this, nearing the Axe Fx price range and knowing the Axe Fx gives regular upgrades/updates for free, I feel like it is necessary to at least know if we will not be getting this perk.

• Upvote 1

2) Given that amps were modelled on a component level- down the road is there a possibility that components could be mixed & matched? ie. choose your preamp tube type, tone stack, rectifier type, power amp tube type, transformer type, etc.

3) The harmony delay in some promotional photos appears to have 4 pages of 5 parameters- with the basic/common parameters all on the first page, and a synth block has been mentioned with 24 parameters- are parameter counts of around 20 common in this pedal? I would consider this an enormous plus!

4) Are future updates planned to be an as-needed patch-fixing type of thing (like the minimal updates seen in the M series), or are they planned to be an ongoing thing (like Zoom's MultiStomp Bluetooth which had a new effect added every few weeks for 2 years or so)?

1) No; Helix can record and play back one loop.

2) Conceivably, yes, but not at launch.

3) 3 oscillators, so assume duplicate parameters for each oscillator.

4) Legally, we're not allowed to talk about future plans.

• Upvote 1

I suspect my questions (a couple pages ago) have been accidentally skipped over. Would it be against the etiquette here to re-post them?

Same here.

Page 7 and page 12, where I rephrased / embellished it.

I don't want to be a pain, so I've resolved to just continue to check the thread every day...

• Upvote 1

I don't want to be a pain, so I've resolved to just continue to check the thread every day...

With all respect, I'm not sure anyone can really answer your question.  I know I really have no idea what you are talking about.  There is absolutely no discernible latency when I play, certainly nothing to make me feel disconnected.  I have never heard anyone mention any problems with latency except when recording and monitoring the recorded signal.  However, that latency is created in the computer and the DAW or VST's being used, not the POD...  Anyone else?

• Line6Tony unpinned and locked this topic