Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix FAQ

Digital_Igloo

Easy mate, I didn't realize you had the golden ear curse. Helpful for everyone to know, as the next answers will feel less like punishment to you with that context provided.

I was just trying to pre-answer your question "are you sure you know what latency sounds like?" by saying I do based on monitoring various parts of the signal path when recording.

Yeah, I figured that's what you meant, Guitarzan; I was lazy - I meant to clarify that I hadn't assumed that that was how you monitor, but was asking just to be sure. You see, had this been the case, then your question would've been perfectly understandable from my POV, as one wouldn't expect that someone accustomed to huge chunks of latency's gonna be sensitive to a "small" amount.

The fact that the section beginning with "Why do I feel punished... blah... blah..." followed my reply to you was because that's the way it flowed. I responded to the posts in order and yours was last. I was aware of this but hoped you'd not attribute all that followed as being directed to you. Again, I was lazy; I should have perhaps placed a line like "------" or something after my reply to you... anything to separate the sections. Sorry for my laziness, mate!

I felt really embarrassed by my description of my "ears" (as would any monkey!). I believe that's the first time I've ever imparted that information in a forum, and it's not something I've even said to my friends IRL. As I said, it wasn't your input that prompted that - I just couldn't think of another way to discourage yet another bunch of folks from jumping in and saying the same thing. It's not that I mind. It's just painful (too much to explain now) and time-consuming to respond to each well-intentioned comment implying that I shouldn't be noticing it with the HD500 or whatever.

Anyway, enough of this minutia. Thank you again for your interest, GT, and I'm truly sorry about my "lazy" answer.

From TGP forum:

Digital Igloo: "Specs like full throughput latency aren't known until after the last round of optimization."

They're still optimizing Helix, so that's why the question about Helix's latency hasn't been answered yet.

BTW, this doesn't mean that Line 6 is behind schedule on its release.

HTH

Awesome news! Thank you ever so much, Jose!

You da man, man.  :D

Well, I've tried every manner of selection before cut-and-pasting and so on, but couldn't get mbenigni's quote from page 16 into the same post as those from page 15. I'm not used to this forum software; spent most of my time on phpbb. Sorry for having to use 2 posts...

Monkey_Man, I agree 100% that it is a big deal, but I also agree that a simple answer is difficult to provide.

First off, yes, the KPA is the best unit I've personally played in terms of minimizing latency. There are some straightforward reasons for this: 1. Its amp block isn't doing dozens of calculations in parallel in order to model individual components and interactions; it is instead executing a relatively small (and consistent) number of calculations with changes in coefficients etc. to model an entire signal path's I/O characteristics. 2. It's routing is fixed and therefore also relatively consistent/ predictable. Even so, if Kemper responded to the latency question with something as direct as n ms, I imagine they were oversimplifying, as many users commented on certain amp profiles having different latencies which impacted on phase in recordings (though its improbable any of them had enough latency to feel bad during performance.)

If I were to speculate: Helix will likely have slightly more latency than KPA. Helix will have less latency than HD500 for all but the most insanely over-engineered patches, on account of the faster processors. Latency will vary on a patch-by-patch basis. (The alternative is to lock every patch to a latency that suits worst-case-scenario CPU load - which no one wants!) Disclaimer: this is all based on what common sense tells me, and I could be wrong on every single point. :)

I still say the best approach is to wait and TRY IT WITH YOUR OWN HANDS in order to know whether it's fast enough for you personally.

Hey mbenigni, good to see ya bro'.

Regarding the first sentence in "bold" type:

As I said in at least two of my 3 posts where I asked the question, the Kemper provides a "constant-latency mode" option. It effectively rounds-out the throughput delay to around the maximum that would "cover" all possible rig and FX-processing demands. This way, layered / reamped tracks shouldn't require phase correction.

... and the 2nd section:

Funny, that's exactly what the Kemper can do, but it's so efficient that the "worst-case" scenario we've both referred to is... not bad at all. In fact, I'm perfectly fine with 4ms; it only adds 4 feet to the 3 or 4 I'm away from my monitors. It's the additional delay imparted by the Variaxes as well as the HD500 that simply take it over the edge for me.

See you 'round mate, and thank you for your concern.

L6 will you be offering any package deals for L2t speaker with Helix such as the one currently being offered with the HD500x?  I already have my helix pre ordered and Im thinking about buying an L2t but the price tag seems so hefty after the 1500$ already being put down for the Helix.  

From D.I.

Models:

WhoWatt 100

Soup Pro

Stone Age 185

Tweed Blues Nrm

Tweed Blues Brt

US Small Tweed

US Deluxe Nrm

US Deluxe Vib

US Double Nrm

US Double Vib

Mail Order Twin

Divided Duo

Interstate Zed

Jazz Rivet 120

Essex A-15

Essex A-30

A-30 Fawn Nrm

A-30 Fawn Brt

Mandarin 80

Brit J-45 Nrm

Brit J-45 Brt

Brit Plexi Nrm

Brit Plexi Brt

Brit Plexi Jump

Brit P-75 Nrm

Brit P-75 Brt

Brit J-800

German Mahadeva

German Ubersonic

Cali Rectifire

ANGL Meteor

Solo Lead Clean

Solo Lead Crunch

Solo Lead OD

PV Panama

Line 6 Elektrik

Line 6 Doom

Line 6 Epic

Tuck n' Go

SV Beast Nrm

SV Beast Brt

Cali Bass

Cali 400 Ch1

Cali 400 Ch2

G Cougar 800

It'd be great if someone added these to post #1 on this thread! (With the effects too)

I read that Line 6 doesn't make any polyphonic pitch shifting FX. It dose it mean that effect called 3 OSC Synth will be monophonic?

That would be correct. As of now, there aren't any polyphonic pitch shifting effects on Helix. I actually don't think there are any polyphonic shifters in the entire Line 6 line.

But 3 OSC isn't pitch shifter... it is synthetiser. BTW: original Whammy is polyphonic today.

The synth is still relying on pitch detection, and right now it's monophonic. The current generation of the Whammy is polyphonic, yes. The Line 6 model is not at this point. I don't know how high creating polyphonic effects is on their priority list at this moment. I imagine it's on their radar, but I don't know. It's kind of an idiosyncratic effect category for most guitarists.

As I said in at least two of my 3 posts where I asked the question, the Kemper provides a "constant-latency mode" option. It effectively rounds-out the throughput delay to around the maximum that would "cover" all possible rig and FX-processing demands. This way, layered / reamped tracks shouldn't require phase correction.

You're absolutely right - I didn't think about the constant latency mode (added via firmware about 2 years into the KPA's life cycle) until after I'd posted.  I never used it as I wasn't doing any significant recording at the time.

All of the rest stands, though.  The KPA's routing is fixed (excepting the parallel mode also recently introduced in firmware) and therefore predictable.  This, and the "profiling" vs. "modeling" distinction I described, will - all things being equal - give the KPA an edge where latency is concerned.  Again, I agree that latency is an important factor in terms of making one of these rigs feel authentic (it's the main reason I'm not satisfied just playing an iOS app at this point) so you're going to have to decide for yourself whether the Helix cuts it.  Maybe, on account of your personal sensitivity to this variable, the Kemper is the best solution for you.  For me, there were too many tradeoffs in functionality elsewhere.  I'm REALLY onboard with the Helix's open-ended effects/ routing approach.  If I incur a ton of latency because I want a ton of effects, that's on me.  Hopefully the really lossy points in the chain, e.g. ADC/ DAC, are fast enough that it's all negligible anyway.

1. Will the helix automatically compensate the channel volume when you adjust the drive parameter of an amp so basically your channel volume remains the same if you adjust amp drive up or down? It seems that the axe and kemper units do this or is this just my imagination?

2. Line 6: How does the helix sound in mono? I own a HD500 and pretty much everything sounds good in stereo, but I have struggled to get good mono tones to FOH. Unfortunately, due to the venue I play (place of worship), stereo is not an option.

Still, I have already pre-ordered a helix and look forward to getting it in my hands. I just hope getting a good mono sound out of it will not be as hard as with the Pod 500.

1. Will the helix automatically compensate the channel volume when you adjust the drive parameter of an amp so basically your channel volume remains the same if you adjust amp drive up or down? It seems that the axe and kemper units do this or is this just my imagination?

2. Line 6: How does the helix sound in mono? I own a HD500 and pretty much everything sounds good in stereo, but I have struggled to get good mono tones to FOH. Unfortunately, due to the venue I play (place of worship), stereo is not an option.

Still, I have already pre-ordered a helix and look forward to getting it in my hands. I just hope getting a good mono sound out of it will not be as hard as with the Pod 500.

1. No, you'll have to tweak your volume to your liking. There are so many ways to control the gain structure within a patch, though, it's easy to do. I'd actually be really surprised if the Axe or Kemper behave the way you're describing. It's possible, I guess, but I'd rather have it act like a real amp.

2. It should sound fine in mono. To be honest, I've never had an issue using the HD500 in mono, either. I think whenever I've gone straight to the PA in a gig situation it's been mono. I mean, yeah, you lose the wideness of a stereo field, but the core tone doesn't change.

I just came about >< this close to pre-ordering a Helix from Sweetwater a minute ago...but the lack of global blocks is holding me up. Everyone is different, but the way I work, I generally use one preset per song (originals), and I use the same two amp models (clean and dirty) on every preset. I use global blocks on the Axe-Fx so that if I change a parameter on the amp model, the change is reflected across all my patches. Like running a "real" preamp or amp, but without lugging around yet another piece of gear. (I also do the same with a drive block and maybe one or two mod blocks.) I need to have global blocks for a consistent, easy to dial-in tone or it's going to be a deal killer for me :-(

The interface on the Helix just looks fabulous, but the lack of global blocks, and to some extent 'scenes', is stopping me from pulling the trigger.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Global-Blocks/755191-23508

• Upvote 1

I just came about >< this close to pre-ordering a Helix from Sweetwater a minute ago...but the lack of global blocks is holding me up. Everyone is different, but the way I work, I generally use one preset per song (originals), and I use the same two amp models (clean and dirty) on every preset. I use global blocks on the Axe-Fx so that if I change a parameter on the amp model, the change is reflected across all my patches. Like running a "real" preamp or amp, but without lugging around yet another piece of gear. (I also do the same with a drive block and maybe one or two mod blocks.) I need to have global blocks for a consistent, easy to dial-in tone or it's going to be a deal killer for me :-(

The interface on the Helix just looks fabulous, but the lack of global blocks, and to some extent 'scenes', is stopping me from pulling the trigger.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Global-Blocks/755191-23508

Voted.

BTW, I posted this same idea a couple of weeks ago.  Please vote here as well; might help to get all our votes in one place:  http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Optional-Global-signal-path-Spillover/741927-23508

Voted.

BTW, I posted this same idea a couple of weeks ago.  Please vote here as well; might help to get all our votes in one place:  http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Optional-Global-signal-path-Spillover/741927-23508

Yep! I already voted it up. Though it's a bit different in approach, some kind of solution to a global, consitent "tone" is needed. If a person is only playing their rig at home, then maybe lots of patches with lots of different sounds (amps, cabs, etc) is desireable, but for live use in a setting where you want YOUR guitar sound across many patches, there needs to be a fast and convenient way to acheive that. If the Helix can't deliver Global Blocks (or some kind of global row?) then all the speed and convenience of the interface won't make up for time needed to copy and paste an amp block across a multitude of presets everytime you make a change.

Question: (please read that in the voice of Dwight Schrute if so desired)

Can a block's on/off state be assigned to multiple footswitches? If so, what is the behaviour of that block? For example if I assign a footswitch to toggle a drive block, then assign another footswitch to toggle a tremolo block and the same drive block. What happens when the drive is on, the tremolo is off, and you push the drive+tremolo footswitch? Will the drive then toggle off, or stay on?

Does assigning multiple blocks to a footswitch cause the blocks to invert state when pushing the footswitch, or do the blocks switch to a pre-determined state?

I'm thinking of this in terms of a way to do "scenes" - a way to step on one footswitch and jump to a pre-determined state. Can you go so far as to specify "when the footswitch is turned 'on', set the state of the blocks to a given on/off state, and when the footswitch is turned 'off', set the blocks to a different on/off state"?

mbenigni asked about scenes. I'm not sure if the Kemper does it, but the Axe-Fx does a thing refered to as "scenes". The basic idea is that within the same preset you can set up a number of scenes, where each scene is a "snapshot" of the various on/off states of your blocks. Then with one button press you can go to a know state. The advantage is that, instead of simply assigning multiple blocks to the same button, is that you can store multiple settings with each scene. For example, the on/off state, the X/Y state (many blocks in the Axe-Fx can have two entirely different settings), as well as "scene controllers" (e.g. you could assign reverb mix to a scene controller and have a different reverb level with each scene).

I've set my rig up to use five scenes. 1 is generally clean, 2 is clean with some fx, 3 is light or medium gain, 4 is always solo, 5 is "special". It can vary per patch, but that's my general scheme. I ALWAYS know that when I push button 4 (labeled SOLO) I'm ready to roll.

Question: (please read that in the voice of Dwight Schrute if so desired)

Can a block's on/off state be assigned to multiple footswitches? If so, what is the behaviour of that block? For example if I assign a footswitch to toggle a drive block, then assign another footswitch to toggle a tremolo block and the same drive block. What happens when the drive is on, the tremolo is off, and you push the drive+tremolo footswitch? Will the drive then toggle off, or stay on?

Does assigning multiple blocks to a footswitch cause the blocks to invert state when pushing the footswitch, or do the blocks switch to a pre-determined state?

I'm thinking of this in terms of a way to do "scenes" - a way to step on one footswitch and jump to a pre-determined state. Can you go so far as to specify "when the footswitch is turned 'on', set the state of the blocks to a given on/off state, and when the footswitch is turned 'off', set the blocks to a different on/off state"?

A block's on/off state cannot be assigned to multiple footswitches. Only one FS can be assigned.

When assigning multiple blocks, each press of the FS acts as an on/off toggle for each block. If it was on it goes off, and vice-versa. The initial state is determined by the state of each block when the preset was last saved.

As much as I agree with everybody asking for scenes and global settings.  Both of these features are things that I think are invaluable, however I want to just say that I'm hesitant to cheer for changes to the basic interface of the Helix as the interface from what I understand has a different approach to settings on the fly than any of us have seen before.  From what I understand Helix is meant to be a very easy fluid like layout for changing the sounds.  In previous units such as M13 the scene changes have existed and Im sure line 6 is aware of the need for global settings.  I want to believe that these approaches were not implicated for a reason. I guess Im optimistic to see their vision of user interface.  Im open to the change if it works personally.  You all know that old adage "don't bash it unless you try it"

• Upvote 1

A block's on/off state cannot be assigned to multiple footswitches. Only one FS can be assigned.

When assigning multiple blocks, each press of the FS acts as an on/off toggle for each block. If it was on it goes off, and vice-versa. The initial state is determined by the state of each block when the preset was last saved.

Got it. Thanks for clearifying.

It definitly sounds like some implementation of "scenes" will be needed for the Helix then. Maybe not for everyone, but those of us considering moving from the Axe-Fx to the Helix and having adopted the paradigm of scenes, it would feel like a step backwards to be doing some tap-dancing to turn on/off multiple fx. Pushing ONE button and having everything switch to a consistent pre-determined state within the same preset is golden.

I'm sure there are different work arounds though. How many of the same type of FX block can you use in a single preset? I know 4 amps can be used - is it also 4 of any given FX block?

mbenigni asked about scenes. 

:) You were quick to notice - I thought that post might complicate the discussion more than it helped, so I deleted it.

In any case... I can confirm that the Kemper has nothing comparable to scenes.  The closest they come is providing a "performance mode", but this is really just a place to save variations of presets for later recall.

I can see getting by without scenes by setting up patches with strategic effects ganging and A/B path switching. The only disappointments at the moment are lack of effects tails for those who prefer to change patches mid-song, and this limitation:

I can definitely imagine cases where you'd want to gang an effect to more than one other effect on different pedals.  But still, I agree with ericgross84, that we should work with it before assuming there's a significant problem.  I definitely DON'T want Line 6 to make any changes that would push back the ship date!  In fact, I'd like mine shipped today, as is.   :)

I definitely DON'T want Line 6 to make any changes that would push back the ship date!  In fact, I'd like mine shipped today, as is.   :)

Thats what I'm saying haha!  I just can't see Line 6 looking at these conversations and going "OMG scene changes and global settings, those are freakin brilliant ideas, how come we never thought of that?"  Don't mean to be facetious but I just think that things have been implemented so many times in so many products before this.  They spent anywhere from 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 years (depending on which video you watch ;) and are charging a price 3 times higher than their previous product.  I just want to get this thing in my hands already and see what it can do.  Obviously whether you trust this thing is going to fulfill your needs is always a risk with a new product like this but at this point I feel like it is what it is with respects to basic UI at this point so close to release.

• Upvote 2

As much as I agree with everybody asking for scenes and global settings.  Both of these features are things that I think are invaluable, however I want to just say that I'm hesitant to cheer for changes to the basic interface of the Helix as the interface from what I understand has a different approach to settings on the fly than any of us have seen before.  From what I understand Helix is meant to be a very easy fluid like layout for changing the sounds.  In previous units such as M13 the scene changes have existed and Im sure line 6 is aware of the need for global settings.  I want to believe that these approaches were not implicated for a reason. I guess Im optimistic to see their vision of user interface.  Im open to the change if it works personally.  You all know that old adage "don't bash it unless you try it"

Yeah, I hear you. It may very well be that Helix takes a different, but equally flexible - and maybe even better approach to scenes and global blocks. I'm really excited about the Helix, I'm just holding back until I can get a better grasp on how it'll work in terms of those two issues. One thing I will NOT do is go back to having multiple presets per song. It's just too much of a mess to maintain. The 'one preset per song' approach (mainly for matching delay BPM) has been working well for me, and scenes has replaced needing multiple presets per song in order to get single-button changes. (And global blocks has removed the need to have a physical amp or preamp to maintain consistency between presets.)

I'm very, very interested to see how the Helix's grid and routing works. I'm interested to see some kind of A/B/Y block being used. I want to see what Helix's approach to switching in and out entire fx chains is like. I'm also curious about gain-staging issues when switching in/out parallel fx or chains of fx. I'm very eager to see some videos showing some of this lower-level, down to the nuts and bolts stuff. I'm pretty sure Helix is going to sound just great, so I want see how it's going to address the different approaches different people are going to want. I'm sure those types of videos will come out in the near future; we're all eager to see more about the Helix! I really want to see a nice long video with someone setting up a preset, routing virtual fx loops, routing between grids, routing sends and returns for the four physical fx loops. I'm really excited to see what this thing can do.

• Upvote 1

Thats what I'm saying haha!  I just can't see Line 6 looking at these conversations and going "OMG scene changes and global settings, those are freakin brilliant ideas, how come we never thought of that?"  Don't mean to be facetious but I just think that things have been implemented so many times in so many products before this.  They spent anywhere from 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 years (depending on which video you watch ;) and are charging a price 3 times higher than their previous product.  I just want to get this thing in my hands already and see what it can do.  Obviously whether you trust this thing is going to fulfill your needs is always a risk with a new product like this but at this point I feel like it is what it is with respects to basic UI at this point so close to release.

Yeah, there's zero risk that Line 6 is going to push back the release date due to implementing something discussed as a "must have" in this forum. It just doesn't work that way (fortunatly). They have no doubt decided upon a feature/function list to implement on initial release, and that's their current focus. Discussions here are purely speculation, with the added benifit that people more intimate with Helix can answer some of the questions we're asking. But again, it's not like discussing a certain feature is going to cause Line 6 to say "oh no! We'd better implement Global Blocks or Jesse in Seattle isn't going to pre-order a Helix! Push back the release date!"

Thought I'm not entirely sure though that the idea of global blocks or scenes is necessarily on their radar.  These aren't things I've seen in products prior to owning the Axe-Fx. Scenes may be a moot point, as the Helix may have an entirely different approach that works even better (and even without really knowing how the grid works, I can still envision some possible approaches). But global blocks - at this point it's absent from the feature set and I don't see anything indicating a different paradigm for accomplishing it. Sadly, I'll have to hold off getting a Helix until I see global blocks or similar. So yeah, I'm eager to see it addressed eventually since it could be a show-stopper for me.

I know my TC Voicelive 3 has global settings and I do use them for guitar but thats honestly just because the guitar modeling sounds in it suck so much that the one setting that sounds halfway decent must function globally lol.  I really think that if this thing has lots of great tones and amps to choose from I can't see the global settings being beneficial for many users.   On the other hand, from the demos so far released it does appear that Amp settings may function in a global way.  There is an amp button they showed in the videos.  Id imagine that these settings function independently of effects settings, dynamics, etc.  From what I understand they are coming from starting with a basic amp with basic settings that you like and then setting up a chain with effects paths as you like that can probably be grouped together somewhat like scenes.   It also looks like theres options for multiple paths which probably means you can have the benefit of 4 global amp settings.  Not sure if this helps or is obvious already but its just what i picked up out of the videos thus far.  

I know my TC Voicelive 3 has global settings and I do use them for guitar but thats honestly just because the guitar modeling sounds in it suck so much that the one setting that sounds halfway decent must function globally lol.  I really think that if this thing has lots of great tones and amps to choose from I can't see the global settings being beneficial for many users.   On the other hand, from the demos so far released it does appear that Amp settings may function in a global way.  There is an amp button they showed in the videos.  Id imagine that these settings function independently of effects settings, dynamics, etc.  From what I understand they are coming from starting with a basic amp with basic settings that you like and then setting up a chain with effects paths as you like that can probably be grouped together somewhat like scenes.   It also looks like theres options for multiple paths which probably means you can have the benefit of 4 global amp settings.  Not sure if this helps or is obvious already but its just what i picked up out of the videos thus far.  

Ah, yeah - but that's not what we're talking about actually. A Global Block is an effects block that is linked between presets. When you make a change to a parameter in a global block, that change will be updated in all the presets using that same global block.

Using an amp as an example, but the concept applys to any fx block: with my Axe-Fx, I dial up an amp I like (currently my 'gain' amp is the dirty channel of the Freidman BE-100), and I tweak that amp to sound the way I want. Next, I save that amp block as a Global Block. When I then create subsequent presets, I link to that global amp block. Now, any changes I make in any preset using that linked global block will reflect in all other presets using that linked global block. So, the 20-or-so presets I regularly use all have a linked global amp for my clean amp (currently a Bogner Shiva clean) and my dirty amp (the BE-100), and if I want to change, say, the presence on the BE-100, or the 'bright' knob on the Shiva, bass, mid, etc, I turn a knob, hit 'save', and now all of my presets reflect that change because they're all linked to the same amp block.

If you want to think of it this way - essentially you're emulating the scenario of having a real, physical amp with consistent gain/eq/tonality. You turn a knob on that amp and it stays set, regardless of which preset you've switched to on your FX unit. I'm using amp blocks as an example, but the same idea is applicable to any FX block that you want consistent settings across multiple presets.

I think this scenario is probably more applicable to people playing original music in a band/live setting where you're usually interested in maintaining your sound. It's quite possible that these kinds of users are in the minority. For me, modeling technology is a way to replace the need to haul around large, heavy tube amps and a collection of pedals rather than a way to dial up 20 vastly different sounds per gig.

You're absolutely right - I didn't think about the constant latency mode (added via firmware about 2 years into the KPA's life cycle) until after I'd posted.  I never used it as I wasn't doing any significant recording at the time.

All of the rest stands, though.  The KPA's routing is fixed (excepting the parallel mode also recently introduced in firmware) and therefore predictable.  This, and the "profiling" vs. "modeling" distinction I described, will - all things being equal - give the KPA an edge where latency is concerned.  Again, I agree that latency is an important factor in terms of making one of these rigs feel authentic (it's the main reason I'm not satisfied just playing an iOS app at this point) so you're going to have to decide for yourself whether the Helix cuts it.  Maybe, on account of your personal sensitivity to this variable, the Kemper is the best solution for you.  For me, there were too many tradeoffs in functionality elsewhere.  I'm REALLY onboard with the Helix's open-ended effects/ routing approach.  If I incur a ton of latency because I want a ton of effects, that's on me.  Hopefully the really lossy points in the chain, e.g. ADC/ DAC, are fast enough that it's all negligible anyway.

I have to say, mbenigni, that I agree 100% with everything you said and your logic.

• Upvote 1

Line 6 guru's - let's talk Looper.

1. Can the Helix looper be set up globally such that I can create a loop using preset 1, then switch to preset 2 and overdub the loop with a different sound? 

2. Is there an 'undo' option for the last overdub?

3. Would it be possible with some clever routing and button assignments to re-create the functionality of the JM4 looper?  That is to say, I'd like to record a drum loop from an iPod and when I finish the loop have the iPod source audio simultaneously cut out (to prevent doubling of the source and loop audio).  I hope that makes sense.

Thanks so much!

• Upvote 1

1. Can the Helix looper be set up globally such that I can create a loop using preset 1, then switch to preset 2 and overdub the loop with a different sound? 

I'm guessing the answer is no, just because it's been indicated that the looper acts like any other effects block.  Hopefully I'm wrong.  This brings us back to the various posts and IdeaScale submissions for a Global effects path - the looper (or better still, loopers, plural, per an unrelated IdeaScale submission) would reach their full potential if a Global path were available.

• Upvote 1

• Line6Tony unpinned and locked this topic