Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix FAQ

Digital_Igloo

Line 6 guru's - let's talk Looper.

1. Can the Helix looper be set up globally such that I can create a loop using preset 1, then switch to preset 2 and overdub the loop with a different sound?

2. Is there an 'undo' option for the last overdub?

3. Would it be possible with some clever routing and button assignments to re-create the functionality of the JM4 looper? That is to say, I'd like to record a drum loop from an iPod and when I finish the loop have the iPod source audio simultaneously cut out (to prevent doubling of the source and loop audio). I hope that makes sense.

Thanks so much!

1. It's not a global looper, but if you select a preset where the looper...

• Has been added to the preset (duh) and assigned to a footswitch
  • Is of the same type—mono or stereo
  • Is on the same path—A or B

...loop recording/playback will be maintained. If all three conditions are not met, the loop will stop (but remains in memory for when you select a matching preset later). Most of Helix's stock presets will support looping across preset changes.

The one thing you lose is a Pre/Post switch, as Helix's Looper block can be placed anywhere on the four stereo signal paths.

You can also now assign controllers to Looper block parameters.

2. Yes.

3. Yes, there are a couple ways to accomplish this.

1. It's not a global looper, but if you select a preset where the looper...

• Has been added to the preset (duh) and assigned to a footswitch
  • Is of the same type—mono or stereo
  • Is on the same path—A or B

...loop recording/playback will be maintained. If all three conditions are not met, the loop will stop (but remains in memory for when you select a matching preset later). Most of Helix's stock presets will support looping across preset changes.

The one thing you lose is a Pre/Post switch, as Helix's Looper block can be placed anywhere on the four stereo signal paths.

You can also now assign controllers to Looper block parameters.

2. Yes.

3. Yes, there are a couple ways to accomplish this.

Thanks Digital_Igloo!

Would you mind elaborating upon #3?

1.- Can the helix Produce Midi Clock?

I would like to use it in conjunction with other gear that doesn't.

2.- You say it has 4 instead of 2 Channel paths???

3.- Can you explain what an Impulse responses are?

Highly Excited about this!

From what I'm hearing, no. I'm also hearing it can't even recieve MIDI clock.

I couldn't find if this has been asked before:

What advanced amp block parameters will be adjustable in the Helix?

There's all the same DEP parameters as the HD series - Master, Sag, Hum, Bias ans Bias Excursion. There's a Ripple parameter. That's kind of similar to the Hum parameter. It controls how the AC ripple interacts with the amp's tone. In addition to these, some of the amp models have some unique controls. The Orange model, for example, has the F.A.C. control modeled. That's a mid-sweep control that Orange uses that changes the voicing of the amp pretty dramatically.

The parameters for the cabs are a bit different than in the HD. They've been simplified to an extent. There's Mic, Distance, Low Cut, High Cut, Early Reflections and Level.

• Upvote 2

There's all the same DEP parameters as the HD series - Master, Sag, Hum, Bias ans Bias Excursion. There's a Ripple parameter. That's kind of similar to the Hum parameter. It controls how the AC ripple interacts with the amp's tone. In addition to these, some of the amp models have some unique controls. The Orange model, for example, has the F.A.C. control modeled. That's a mid-sweep control that Orange uses that changes the voicing of the amp pretty dramatically.

The parameters for the cabs are a bit different than in the HD. They've been simplified to an extent. There's Mic, Distance, Low Cut, High Cut, Early Reflections and Level.

Thanks Phil.

I just read up on it in the HD500X manual. Hm. So am I right that there are only a couple advanced parameters then (the ones you mentioned)?

I'm truly sad to say that I'm increasingly thinking the Helix isn't going to cut it for me. The user interface looks absolutly brilliant, but so far there are some big show-stoppers for me moving from an Axe-Fx to a Helix. I don't use all the advanced amp parameters in the Axe, but there are a few pretty basic ones that really help sculpt the flavor of an amp. Obviously "presence" (HF negative feedback) is covered in the Helix, but low frequency negative feedback is a biggy (aka "depth").

The lack of global blocks is a massive no-go for me, as is the lack of MIDI clock in/out. I'll keep my eye on how Helix develops once it's released and possibly pick one up down the road if some of this key functionality gets added to the firmware.

Thanks.

So it sounds like they have completely abandoned the resonator (res, thump, decay)?

Thanks Phil.

I just read up on it in the HD500X manual. Hm. So am I right that there are only a couple advanced parameters then (the ones you mentioned)?

I'm truly sad to say that I'm increasingly thinking the Helix isn't going to cut it for me. The user interface looks absolutly brilliant, but so far there are some big show-stoppers for me moving from an Axe-Fx to a Helix. I don't use all the advanced amp parameters in the Axe, but there are a few pretty basic ones that really help sculpt the flavor of an amp. Obviously "presence" (HF negative feedback) is covered in the Helix, but low frequency negative feedback is a biggy (aka "depth").

The lack of global blocks is a massive no-go for me, as is the lack of MIDI clock in/out. I'll keep my eye on how Helix develops once it's released and possibly pick one up down the road if some of this key functionality gets added to the firmware.

Thanks.

I'm on the same page with you. I was really excited about this at first but unless I see a demo that really makes me change my mind, I don't know if this is worth $1500 to me. I'm starting to think I may be happier adding an fx8 to my pod for less than what I'd invest in this unit and there is no secrecy on firmware updates there!

I'm on the same page with you. I was really excited about this at first but unless I see a demo that really makes me change my mind, I don't know if this is worth $1500 to me. I'm starting to think I may be happier adding an fx8 to my pod for less than what I'd invest in this unit and there is no secrecy on firmware updates there!

no disrespect but that doesn't make sense to me... the FX-8 is $1300 and only FX, no amps or any of the other features of the Helix...  You should just add a M-13 if you want more FX as that links by midi and everything saves with the patch in the POD.

no disrespect but that doesn't make sense to me... the FX-8 is $1300 and only FX, no amps or any of the other features of the Helix... You should just add a M-13 if you want more FX as that links by midi and everything saves with the patch in the POD.

The effects of the fx8 are superior to the pod hd and m13 effects and it has a larger selection. They could also link via midi just like any other midi capable unit. It doesn't have amp models but I'm fine with the amp models on the pod. I would be happy with better amps but I haven't heard anything that made the helix amps sound far superior. At least with the fx8 you know you'll get regular FREE firmware updates that INCLUDE add one where as line 6 will not disclose whether or not that is the case with the helix. We all know it wasn't the case with the pod which I accept but not at a $1500 price point.

• Upvote 1

From what I can tell, the effects capability of the Helix blows away the FX8. If you want to incorporate other pedals at in your rig, the Helix offers so much more flexibility it's not even a fair fight. I'm not trying to bash Fractal, really, it's just that I'm not seeing it being in the same category as the Helix.

• Upvote 1

Don't get me wrong! I think the helix looks awesome and I want to love it! A good demo and knowing that firmware updates will be at least quartely for a couple years would make me much more confident! I want this to be a good middle ground between axe fxII and the pod hd500x. I've owned both and I went back to the pod for ease of use. I want more power with the same ease of use which seems to be what the helix has. I'm an effects guy and the effects are certainly lacking in numbers, not necessarily quality on the helix. As far as demos go, I haven't heard anything to make it sound leaps better than the pod hd yet. I'm sure it does but when you run a company that is based off of making sound, I expect to see a good demo that makes the unit all that it is hyped up to be.

they are never going to promise updates for a set length of time....

many factors would go into any potential updates....

including how many of them sell... 

judging from the many statements that include the term "at launch"

it is implied that there is more capability, more potential, more ideas, and a desire to do more...

that's as official as you'll get.

someone who buys one in 2 years will also want "updates" (a vague term for whatever...)

but they'd probably have a few updates available on purchase that they wouldn't factor in....

i think you'll find even without "updates"

that helix will stand up nicely against anything else in the market.

feature wise untouchable.

in my experience they are very much on the right track, and it will be noticeable.

• Upvote 1

feature wise untouchable.

in my experience they are very much on the right track, and it will be noticeable.

The only area I see that lacks is effects. Not necessarily in the quality, but quantity and flexibility beyond just routing options. What would absolutely be awesome is if a modifier could be attached to any effect, much like Fractal Audio does.

• Upvote 1

obviously, i don't speak in any official capacity on the matter... 

but i suspect that they will add effects, since they seem really open to any user suggestions....

i'd encourage everyone to individually suggest effects on idescale and then vote them up....

make sure the ones you want the most... get a higher priority.

obviously, i don't speak in any official capacity on the matter... 

but i suspect that they will add effects, since they seem really open to any user suggestions....

i'd encourage everyone to individually suggest effects on idescale and then vote them up....

make sure the ones you want the most... get a higher priority.

I think you're right about them adding effects. The particular one I mentioned two posts above is already on ideascale: auto wah or...auto everyting

Vote for it if you haven't already. It would be awesomely powerful and eliminate the need to add more specific effects in a lot of cases on a one by one basis.

• Upvote 1

I'm very curious about the 3 Oscillator synth. My BOSS GP-10 has one, I use it to create a virtual keyboardist playing pads along with me. They are synth mavens posting convincing Rhodes and organ patches for it. Is the Helix synth anything like the BOSS SY-300? Is it polyphonic?

I have several questions :)

1. Will the dunlop vp(x) work as an expression pedal with the helix?

2. Can an alternative power supply be used for the helix? Since i power my pedals with gigrig power supplies, i was hoping just to have one outlet for all of them

3. Can the helix be used as a MIDI controller for the timeline while at the same time placing it in a stereo effect loop in the helix? (For example, as i change presets on the helix, the presets on the timeline also change with it; regarding the effects loops, i want to use 2 sends and 2 returns to be able to run the timeline in stereo)

I have several questions :)

1. Will the dunlop vp(x) work as an expression pedal with the helix?

2. Can an alternative power supply be used for the helix? Since i power my pedals with gigrig power supplies, i was hoping just to have one outlet for all of them

3. Can the helix be used as a MIDI controller for the timeline while at the same time placing it in a stereo effect loop in the helix? (For example, as i change presets on the helix, the presets on the timeline also change with it; regarding the effects loops, i want to use 2 sends and 2 returns to be able to run the timeline in stereo)

1. Yes

2. No, the Helix has an internal power supply, like an amp. It uses a standard IEC plug.

3. Yes

D.I., how close are you getting to making a manual available? My Sweetwater rep just called and told me the ship date has been pushed back to mid September. :( It sure would be nice to at least read and start learning the inner workings of the helix. If nothing else, make the cheat sheet available. At least it would give us something to do while we wait. :)

D.I., how close are you getting to making a manual available? My Sweetwater rep just called and told me the ship date has been pushed back to mid September. :( It sure would be nice to at least read and start learning the inner workings of the helix. If nothing else, make the cheat sheet available. At least it would give us something to do while we wait. :)

I was just about to report the same thing - just got off the phone with my Sweetwater guy. Heard the same "mid September" estimate.

What am I going to do with my life for another 6 weeks?? :wacko:

What am I going to do with my life for another 6 weeks?? :wacko:

:)  Neurotically pouring over these web forums in the interim has made me completely dysfunctional.  Maybe pre-ordering wasn't such a good idea after all LOL.

• Upvote 2

:)  Neurotically pouring over these web forums in the interim has made me completely dysfunctional.  Maybe pre-ordering wasn't such a good idea after all LOL.

Me too. That's why I was asking about the manual. At least I could focus on reading up on the instructions. I know the helix is supposed to be super easy, but I'm a detailed type of person and would love to read about tweaking specific parameters. Maybe Line 6 doesn't want to make such a document available before the unit actually ships. Here's hoping that is not the case. B)

• Upvote 1

Me too. That's why I was asking about the manual. At least I could focus on reading up on the instructions. I know the helix is supposed to be super easy, but I'm a detailed type of person and would love to read about tweaking specific parameters. Maybe Line 6 doesn't want to make such a document available before the unit actually ships. Here's hoping that is not the case. B)

If you can turn a knob, you can tweak the Helix... I was able to figure out probably over 95% of the functionality without having ever seeing the manual. It's remarkably simple for such a deep device.

If you can turn a knob, you can tweak the Helix... I was able to figure out probably over 95% of the functionality without having ever seeing the manual. It's remarkably simple for such a deep device.

It would still be nice to see all of the parameters and whatnot that are covered I'm the manual. You know...not really to know how to use it but rather to see what it can do, in writing, at least.

Hey Phil, I didn't mean to imply that the Helix is not going to be easy to tweak. Everything I've seen seems to show just how easy it will be to make changes. Still, as I stated it would be nice to be able to look over the manual while I wait. I guess I am just weird in that way. If Line 6 doesn't want to make the manual available, that is certainly understandable and I would not be disappointed if they didn't. I thought I read a while back in one of the numerous forums where Digital Igloo said he would get the manual out in the future. Of course, the term future can mean many different things to different people. :rolleyes:

Helix hasn't been pushed back to mid-September. If we end up shipping in mid-September, that's still well within our initial projected release date of "by the end of summer." If you hear a release date from anyone but myself, Dale, Ben, or Sean, it's pure conjecture.

The 1.00 manual's finished and now duplicated on a bunch of USB flash drives, but it's not up to me when we release a PDF to the public. I'm hoping the full color Cheat Sheet can go live this week.

• Upvote 1

It would still be nice to see all of the parameters and whatnot that are covered I'm the manual. You know...not really to know how to use it but rather to see what it can do, in writing, at least.

Exactly. Historically, the manual for a piece of gear has been the most informative source of information when I'm trying to figure out if and how it'll do what I want. It's far more informative than any product demo. Product demo's are great, but when it comes to any questions about the low-level specfics of some functionality or integration with some other gear, short of having the unit in your hands, the manual is the go-to source. (Yeah, I'm sure Line 6 would prefer the former - we all just buy a Helix, then you'll know if it supports MIDI clock sync or not, or how the grids route, or if it'll send CC to your hand-made monophoic synth made by a sect of Tibeten monks living in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains.)

So, yeah, I'm looking forward to that online PDF.

Id like to restate my question I asked a while ago because maybe it wasn't clear the way I asked it,

Is it possible on the helix to have separate control over the headphone mix (turn mic or guitar, or monitor in up or down) for use with an in ear monitor system at the same time as controlling a different mix to the main output mix? Also can I bring a monitor signal from the mixing board into the helix just for use with the headphones?   I ask because I normally use in ear monitors instead of an amplifier or wedge solution for my own monitoring and just send the mixing board vocals and guitar.  Right now I'm using a Line 6 M13 to a TC Voicelive to have this capabilities. The voice live has a separate headphones section that allows mixing of vocals guitar and monitor signal and even a signal from any auxiliary device without affecting the main mix output.   I would really like to sell the TC voice live and just bring one pedal (the helix) to gigs.  This would simplify my setup time.  

Heres another question also.  Will I be able to send the vocals/guitar through the helix to the mixing board with the following options?- Dual Mono- Guitar and Vocals come out as separate mono signals, Mono- Vocal and guitar combined into a mono output, Stereo and Dual Stereo

Thanks for all your hard work on such a great product!

I asked basically this question and Digital Igloo said yes. The XLR and 1/4" outputs will hve their own levels you can set. So, for example, you could have a mic level going to the PA from your XLR's whose level never alters and the 1/4' could be hooked up to your amp and the levels will be completely adjustable.

Helix hasn't been pushed back to mid-September. If we end up shipping in mid-September, that's still well within our initial projected release date of "by the end of summer." If you hear a release date from anyone but myself, Dale, Ben, or Sean, it's pure conjecture.

The 1.00 manual's finished and now duplicated on a bunch of USB flash drives, but it's not up to me when we release a PDF to the public. I'm hoping the full color Cheat Sheet can go live this week.

Truly sorry D.I. Pushed back was probably not the appropriate words to use in my post (although this is the wording that my Sweetwater rep used). I didn't mean to sound like Line 6 wasn't going to meet their projected release date. Ironically though, and I'm really not trying to argue here, Marcus Ryle (Line 6 President) stated in the Summer NAAM video that the pedal unit was expected to ship in August (maybe he just was mistaken). At any rate, I am not trying to argue over sematics or trying to cut on you. I thank you, phil_m, Sean and others for answering our questions and providing us with videos. I will make sure that I rely only on Line 6 for any future ship updates.  Please keep the info and videos coming.

I kind of thought that releasing the pdf of the manual was not your call. Again, thanks for all you and the others do to keep us informed.

Alright, I have to comment. DI, you've been terrific on all the forums, answering countless questions, putting up with (some) negative comments, being a great source of information, etc. Well above what I would normally expect for a product not in G.R. Kudos to you, we all appreciate it.

But there's no reason for you to imply Sweetwater isn't being accurate or telling the truth. I've dealt with my rep for years and he has always been dead on with new product introduction information. In early July he told me LINE 6 is estimating 4 to 5 weeks out. Today he emailed me "LINE 6 has given us an update, and unfortunately it was to let us know that it will be another five or six weeks before we see our first shipment of the Helix boards."

So yeah, it's still within your original window of end of summer, fine. But it was pushed out from the initial word from Line 6 to Sweetwater, and they are getting their updates from Line 6. I understand all about the squishyness of new product ship dates, but let's let your retailers do their part of the job to inform us (pre) customers. I presume that's why you keep them in the loop.

So yeah, it's still within your original window of end of summer, fine. But it was pushed out from the initial word from Line 6 to Sweetwater, and they are getting their updates from Line 6. I understand all about the squishyness of new product ship dates, but let's let your retailers do their part of the job to inform us (pre) customers. I presume that's why you keep them in the loop.

You're absolutely right. It's likely that one of our guys provided the wrong info, and I've been trying to track it down. The Sweetwater guys have been nothing but stellar, and it wasn't my intention to single them out—there's a metric ton of misinformation out there.

• Upvote 1

In making a signal chain on the helix, will i be able to put 2 overdrives in one chain then assign one footswitch each (i want to have two gain stages in a single patch) or would i have to use the effects loop to be able to use another overdrive pedal?

Same goes for delays and reverbs, can i put 2 delays/reverbs in a single chain and assign a footswitch for each?

• Line6Tony unpinned and locked this topic