Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix FAQ

Digital_Igloo

How many parallel paths can I create on the Helix? I read it has four stereo paths... can I split my guitar signal to the four paths and for example run four choruses in parallel, and then sum it to one single output?

If that's what floats your boat, yes, you can do it.

Sry if this has already been asked, but can the S/pdif Input/output be used as an FX loop, (and be inserted anywhere in the signal chain)?

If not I am surely going to submit that idea!

Not anywhere in the signal chain, but S/PDIF I/O could be placed between paths. FX Loop blocks are currently only for the Send and Return jacks.

In making a signal chain on the helix, will i be able to put 2 overdrives in one chain then assign one footswitch each (i want to have two gain stages in a single patch) or would i have to use the effects loop to be able to use another overdrive pedal?

Same goes for delays and reverbs, can i put 2 delays/reverbs in a single chain and assign a footswitch for each?

If your overdrives respond to MIDI or CV/expression, yes.

I'm sorry i think i wasn't clear or i'm not sure that i understand

Let's take this for example. I want a patch like this:

Comp > 1st stage drive (ex. Minotaur) > 2nd stage drive (OCD) > delay > reverb > amp

Is this possible?

No external pedals/effects. Just everything in the helix.

Not anywhere in the signal chain, but S/PDIF I/O could be placed between paths. FX Loop blocks are currently only for the Send and Return jacks.

Let me make sure I understand correctly.

Helix can do 4 paths simultaneously? So I could use the Helix as my audio interface, and plug my guitar into it. Then have say a "Kemper Profiler" loaded up through s/pdif in, and out... utilizing either of these two methods below?

1. I could still use the kemper as my (amp block)  by having my signal split paths before the amp block then merge the two paths after the amp block? 

2. Or could I just keep all my FX in the Helix on that second path that contains the (kemper as the amp)?

Sorry if I am being confusing, I can elaborate more if I need. 

I'm sorry i think i wasn't clear or i'm not sure that i understand

Let's take this for example. I want a patch like this:

Comp > 1st stage drive (ex. Minotaur) > 2nd stage drive (OCD) > delay > reverb > amp

Is this possible?

No external pedals/effects. Just everything in the helix.

You can have as many drives in a patch as you want... Well, OK, you're limited to 32. :D

I actually don't know how many drives you could add before hitting the DSP ceiling, but drives tend to be a lot less DSP intensive than stuff like reverbs and delays. But two in a row - that's easy.

Let me make sure I understand correctly.

Helix can do 4 paths simultaneously? So I could use the Helix as my audio interface, and plug my guitar into it. Then have say a "Kemper Profiler" loaded up through s/pdif in, and out... utilizing either of these two methods below?

1. I could still use the kemper as my (amp block)  by having my signal split paths before the amp block then merge the two paths after the amp block? 

2. Or could I just keep all my FX in the Helix on that second path that contains the (kemper as the amp)?

Sorry if I am being confusing, I can elaborate more if I need. 

1. Yes, but if KPA acts as your amp block, why split and merge at all? Unless you want to run KPA in one path and a Helix amp in the other, which totally works.

2. Sure.

If you don't mind using analog cables, the KPA can exist anywhere on any path. If you insist on using S/PDIF cables, the KPA would have to be between Paths 1A/1B and 2A/2B, as non-Send/Return I/O only exists at Input and Output blocks.

Kind of along the same lines of spdif I/O flexibility: seeing that the usb is 8in/8out, is it possible to utilize these ins/outs in a studio setting by inserting a DAW plugin at a specific point in the signal path, and then another somewhere else, etc., of course limited by the number of ins/outs?

Kind of along the same lines of spdif I/O flexibility: seeing that the usb is 8in/8out, is it possible to utilize these ins/outs in a studio setting by inserting a DAW plugin at a specific point in the signal path, and then another somewhere else, etc., of course limited by the number of ins/outs?

Yes, but only at the location between paths.

1. If KPA acts as your amp block, why split and merge at all? Unless you want to run KPA in one path and a Helix amp in the other, which totally works.

2. Sure.

If you don't mind using analog cables, the KPA can exist anywhere on any path. If you insist on using S/PDIF cables, the KPA would have to be between Paths 1A/1B and 2A/2B, as non-Send/Return I/O only exists at Input and Output blocks.

ok, I think I get it.

As long as I have the option to use the KPA as my amp (model) (instead of the model in the Helix) and still use all of the FX in the Helix then I am fine with that!

I don't have a KPA, IF they ever bring out a Kemper Profile Loader (without having the ability to profile, for less money)  then I could use that, and the Helix in tandem. (as a super powerful digital best of both worlds scenario)  High quality profiles (tons already to download), and high quality modeling!

Of course at first, I will just be using Helix alone, but I like to check all avenues if its just as easy to ask.  Thanks DI!

Regarding stereo ins and outs

Is it possible to run all my patches in the helix in stereo? And when a time comes that there is only one amp, would the helix automatically just sum the stereo signal to the left/mono output?

Meaning, i wouldn't have to change anything

Or would i have to buy something like goodwood audio's interfacer for what i want?

Are there any plans to create a way to switch patches wirelessly in the helix??  Even if its only with the JTV I would go out and buy one for that use.

I play in a wedding band where being out in front of the crowd is preferred for me but I keep having to run back in the middle of the song to change from clean to distortion.  Obviously this isn't planned for at launch but it would be awesome to know if its at least in the thought phase.  

I have a guitar with two outputs (think Epiphone Ultra 3 with magnetic pickups and a Nanomag pickup). Will there be any way to plug both outputs from my guitar into Helix and run two different signal paths (summing to either same amp or split to amp/PA)?

thanks!

• Upvote 2

I have a guitar with two outputs (think Epiphone Ultra 3 with magnetic pickups and a Nanomag pickup). Will there be any way to plug both outputs from my guitar into Helix and run two different signal paths (summing to either same amp or split to amp/PA)?

thanks!

Yes

Wow Phil, thanks so much for the quick response! How exactly would it work? Would one cable go in the normal "input" and the other go into the "Aux In"?

Yeah, that would be the easiest way. You can also use any of the 1/4" returns as inputs. You just have select whatever input you're using for each tone path.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, that would be the easiest way. You can also use any of the 1/4" returns as inputs. You just have select whatever input you're using for each tone path.

awesome! Thanks again Phil! I was already excited to get a Helix, now I'm even more so! 

I have 16 inputs from my Focusrite Liquid 56 and Octopre going into Cubase Pro 8. If I connect the Helix to my computer via USB, would Cubase see it or would the Focusrite get in the way (If I can't go digitally through USB, I guess I could always just go analog and go stereo into two API mic pres)?

are all 1/4" inputs on the Helix the same in terms of soundquality? On the Axe Fx you have the main input with it's "secret sauce" (whatever that might be...) and then an aux input on the back, as in they are different. What about the helix? Same quality converters and such on all inputs, with the same 123dB dynamic range?

• Upvote 1

are all 1/4" inputs on the Helix the same in terms of soundquality? On the Axe Fx you have the main input with it's "secret sauce" (whatever that might be...) and then an aux input on the back, as in they are different. What about the helix? Same quality converters and such on all inputs, with the same 123dB dynamic range?

Good question.  The KPA is similar in this regard:  you can use the Aux input as guitar in, but KPA cautions that signal quality is diminished... which basically defeats the purpose IMO.

The guitar input has the variable input Z circuitry. The aux in and returns do not. But the other 1/4" inputs can be setup as instrument or line level. I can't imagine the DACs are different for the different inputs.

• Upvote 2

You can have as many drives in a patch as you want... Well, OK, you're limited to 32. :D

I actually don't know how many drives you could add before hitting the DSP ceiling, but drives tend to be a lot less DSP intensive than stuff like reverbs and delays. But two in a row - that's easy.

How about 3 delays in a row?

How about 3 delays in a row?

Just checked:

Least DSP-intensive Delay—Mono > Simple Delay: 32 delays in a row with 59% of DSP remaining

Most DSP-intensive Delay—Stereo > Multitap 6: 10 delays in a row with 1% of DSP remaining

So yeah, huge disparity between models, which is why no one can say "you'll get [X] number of blocks."

• Upvote 2

Just checked:

Least DSP-intensive Delay—Mono > Simple Delay: 32 delays in a row with 59% of DSP remaining

Most DSP-intensive Delay—Stereo > Multitap 6: 10 delays in a row with 1% of DSP remaining

So yeah, huge disparity between models, which is why no one can say "you'll get [X] number of blocks."

So even with two multitap 6 delays, I will still have plenty of DSP to add a nice amp, cab, compression, wah, an EQ or two, and a nice reverb... and still have extra dsp left.  I think that will be plenty of horsepower for me. 

I'm curious about the Helix, but I'm definitely not in the demographic of these demos sound wise. All the classic rock, lead solo sounds, and metal sounds seem to be there. I'm wondering if there is or can be a demo that incorporates some Shoegaze/Dream Pop type guitar sounds like Beach House/My Blood Valentine/Slowdive, some fuzz sounds like St. Vincent, or some rawer rock sounds like Nirvana/The Pixies.  The more traditional guitar playing is fine and good, but I'm more curious about how weird this thing gets. The modular signal path is really exciting for someone like me who is used to synthesizers flexibility, and I see a lot of potential to get weird with this thing but short of waiting until this comes out, there's not really a good way to get a read on how weird this can get.

This video from Adrian Belew has some of the type of guitar work I'm thinking about: 

• Upvote 2

I'm wondering if there is or can be a demo that incorporates some Shoegaze/Dream Pop type guitar sounds like Beach House/My Blood Valentine/Slowdive, some fuzz sounds like St. Vincent, or some rawer rock sounds like Nirvana/The Pixies.

Ben and I are both huge shoegaze fans, so expect some love. We were even (half) joking about modeling the Alesis Quadraverb because it's so ubiquitous on those early 90s records.

My favorite band in the world is Curve and I'm currently wearing a Sigur Rós t-shirt.

Swervedriver/Ride/J&MC/Chapterhouse/CatherineWheel/Low/FlyingSaucerAttack/Alison'sHalo/Halfstring/AmusementParksOnFire/Autolux/Loveliescrushing

• Upvote 2

Ben and I are both huge shoegaze fans, so expect some love. We were even (half) joking about modeling the Alesis Quadraverb because it's so ubiquitous on those early 90s records.

My favorite band in the world is Curve and I'm currently wearing a Sigur Rós t-shirt.

Swervedriver/Ride/J&MC/Chapterhouse/CatherineWheel/Low/FlyingSaucerAttack/Alison'sHalo/Halfstring/AmusementParksOnFire/Autolux/Loveliescrushing

That makes my day. Also two thumbs up for calling out Autolux, they don't get enough love.

Can't upvote this enough :-)

I'm looking at the Helix in/outs to drag my collection of midiverbs and spx's into play. A built in reverb model a la Midiverb II Bloom would be bloody awesome. 

Another question: Coming from a synthesizer background I see a lot of value of having modulation in the forms of LFO/Envelopes/Oscilators/Noise Signals/ect. I know these sort of things often scare guitarists despite being building blocks in a lot of their favorite effects. Is there any plans to have modulators like that, which can be routed to any parameter, which would effectively allow people to make their own effects?

For example, if I would like a vibrato that is less cyclical and more random. On a synth, I'd set a random LFO with some slew, and route it toward pitch, and it would drift like a tape that was left out in the sun too long. You could do the same routing an LFO to delay time, causing the pitch to drift due to the doppler effect.

• Upvote 3

Another question: Coming from a synthesizer background I see a lot of value of having modulation in the forms of LFO/Envelopes/Oscilators/Noise Signals/ect. I know these sort of things often scare guitarists despite being building blocks in a lot of their favorite effects. Is there any plans to have modulators like that, which can be routed to any parameter, which would effectively allow people to make their own effects?

For example, if I would like a vibrato that is less cyclical and more random. On a synth, I'd set a random LFO with some slew, and route it toward pitch, and it would drift like a tape that was left out in the sun too long. You could do the same routing an LFO to delay time, causing the pitch to drift due to the doppler effect.

Please please please add this to IdeaScale so I can vote it up.  :wub:

• Upvote 4

Asked before, but didn't get a reply. I want to try and record directly into Cubase Pro 8 with Helix. Do I have to use Helix as my sole interface, or can it live alongside my main Focusrite firewire interface ( I don't want to have to have to change the interface in Cubase or change where the speakers are connected, just to lay down a guitar track)

Asked before, but didn't get a reply. I want to try and record directly into Cubase Pro 8 with Helix. Do I have to use Helix as my sole interface, or can it live alongside my main Focusrite firewire interface ( I don't want to have to have to change the interface in Cubase or change where the speakers are connected, just to lay down a guitar track)

Really more of a Cubase question than a Helix question, isn't it? Some DAWs support multiple interfaces at once, others don't.

• Line6Tony unpinned and locked this topic