Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix FAQ

Digital_Igloo

Thanks Nurn.. that helps on the Para EQ... what about the "Simple" EQ.   (fingers crossed hoping it's at least 10 bands that I can set myself).

Don't think so. I don't have the device (yet), but I think that it won't be the case. But you just have to chain several parametric EQ to do the trick no?

So I'm not sure I was clear enough...

Audition:  The copy idea sounds great.. but more simply asked... If I send a signal in... maybe a guitar part from the DAW looped.... can I just scroll though the amp options (as example) or do I need to actually SELECT an amp option, listen, then SELECT another amp option, Listen etc...

EQ:

How many bands are on the simple and parametric EQ's ? and can you add more?  

Yes. You can just scroll through the amps by having the amp block selected and turning the joystick. Can work with a looper block placed first in the signal or with a dry signal from the DAW.

The simple eq has: low gain, mid freq (125Hz - 4kHz), mid gain, high gain, and level.

The parametric has: low freq (20Hz - 500Hz), low Q, low gain, mid freq (125Hz - 8Khz), mid Q, mid gain, high freq (500Hz - 18KHz), high Q, high gain, low cut (off or 20Hz - 1Khz), high cut (off or 1kHz - 20Khz).

And like Nurn said, you can just add more EQs in the chain for more bands.

There is also a 10 band graphic without modifiable bands: 31.25, 62.5, 125, 250, 500, 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 16k

There is also a 10 band graphic without modifiable bands: 31.25, 62.5, 125, 250, 500, 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 16k

For real control of guitar in the mix 500 and 1k just don't cut it, at least not for me.   I'm used to having the added 700 and 1.4K bands which leads me to the next question, that I think I know the answer to, but I don't want to assume....

Can you have more than one "effect" in a block?  or is a "Block" just a container for ONE thing, be it amp, effect, etc?

By the way... I've been reading the manual and the Global EQ is a nice touch.    Worth the price of admission right there for anyone running through an amp or cabinet.  

For real control of guitar in the mix 500 and 1k just don't cut it, at least not for me.   I'm used to having the added 700 and 1.4K bands which leads me to the next question, that I think I know the answer to, but I don't want to assume....

Can you have more than one "effect" in a block?  or is a "Block" just a container for ONE thing, be it amp, effect, etc?

By the way... I've been reading the manual and the Global EQ is a nice touch.    Worth the price of admission right there for anyone running through an amp or cabinet.  

You can't have more than one effect in one block, but you can have up to 32 blocks in one preset. So to get the 700 and 1.4k bands, you could use a parametric EQ, or use two blocks and two simple EQs.

Interesting that it takes that long ("long") to boot. My Axe-Fx unit boots in a couple seconds. But really, at least for me, 20-30 seconds is plenty fast enough. I want to want a Helix, but I think I need to hold out with the hope that certain features are added. Jesus, I sound like a broken record at this point.

Same feeling here.

I have just sold a guitar and I have 1500 bucks ready for the beast, but I won't buy a multifx that cuts the delay tails (this can easly achieved by implementing a "scene" mode like featured in the fractal's products).

Once solved this issue I'll buy the Helix in a minute because in the other aspects it seems to me the floarboard of the future without a real competitor feature-wise.

I will be very happy to hear an inside voice (Digital Ingloo? Someone else?) that can assure me that this feature will be added in the near future (yes, I voted and commented it on ideascale!). :)

Same feeling here.

I have just sold a guitar and I have 1500 bucks ready for the beast, but I won't buy a multifx that cuts the delay tails (this can easly achieved by implementing a "scene" mode like featured in the fractal's products).

Once solved this issue I'll buy the Helix in a minute because in the other aspects it seems to me the floarboard of the future without a real competitor feature-wise.

I will be very happy to hear an inside voice (Digital Ingloo? Someone else?) that can assure me that this feature will be added in the near future (yes, I voted and commented it on ideascale!). :)

Well, they're never going to be able give concrete answers about future plans like that... They simply aren't permitted to by law. Unlike Fractal, Line 6 is part of a publicly traded company. There's very strict rules about what can be stated publicly in regards to future plans.

flaviogianello, or someone else that understands...  What does he mean by "a multifx that cuts the delay tails"  I have my own theory but I'm not understanding why someone would have an issue with this unless I'm actually NOT understanding it.

Not really a question, but it looks like the guitar input under the global settings defaults to 1M. I would have thought it would default to Auto. This is certainly not a problem, but I just thought this was strange for the default.

Is there a way to set the helix so that when you turn on a new block, the settings for that effect show up with it?  Or maybe just a shortcut or something.  I'm finding it is kind of disorienting when you throw on an effect and can't see what it is currently set at.  I know I can use pedal edit mode but sometimes it is hard to coordinate holding that switch down and then selecting the effect.  

Do i need to turn off all the cabs if i am running directly into the power amp stage of my valve amp? The HD500 used to have an option to change the output options from poweramp to front of amp etc. I am going from 1/4 out into power amp stage of my spider valve mkII

Do i need to turn off all the cabs if i am running directly into the power amp stage of my valve amp? The HD500 used to have an option to change the output options from poweramp to front of amp etc. I am going from 1/4 out into power amp stage of my spider valve mkII

Yes. Helix has no output modes, by design. Some people will split their cabs to separate outputs so that connecting to FRFR vs. power amp+cabs is as simple as hooking up a different output.

Not really a question, but it looks like the guitar input under the global settings defaults to 1M. I would have thought it would default to Auto. This is certainly not a problem, but I just thought this was strange for the default.

1M causes the least amount of confusion. That's the only reason we chose to default to it. Personally, I choose Auto as well.

Is there a way to set the helix so that when you turn on a new block, the settings for that effect show up with it?  Or maybe just a shortcut or something.  I'm finding it is kind of disorienting when you throw on an effect and can't see what it is currently set at.  I know I can use pedal edit mode but sometimes it is hard to coordinate holding that switch down and then selecting the effect.  

We already know how this might be able to work in the future; add it to IdeaScale so we can vote it up!  :)

I started a thread, but maybe it's better to post it in the FAQ, so moderators, you can delete the thread if you want. So here's my questions

Best Way to connect Helix, Digital or Analog: Sound Quality and Latency (with Variax and L2t)

@Digital_Igloo

Ok, so here's my setup: Variax Standard (with upgraded Don Mare pickups and custom neck), Helix (incoming), Line 6 L2t.

TO HELIX:

I wonder whether to use the Variax VDI or analog connection (because the convertors and the dynamic range in Helix) to connect to Helix?

FROM HELIX:

And should I use the L6 Digital Link to the L2t or Analog? Again, to use the convertors of the Helix and to have the control of my mixer input on the L2t.

In short, going all digital from variax to L2t means less conversion, but then I don't use the AD/DA quality and dynamic range from Helix.

Going all analog would leverage that, but also mean more conversion steps.

So which would give me best sound quality and lowest latency?

With my Firehawk, I hear a difference between the VDI and analog cable (less hifi in the latter), and overall, I also notice latency with the firehawk and variax, especially on the acoustic models somehow.

Yes. Helix has no output modes, by design. Some people will split their cabs to separate outputs so that connecting to FRFR vs. power amp+cabs is as simple as hooking up a different output.

1M causes the least amount of confusion. That's the only reason we chose to default to it. Personally, I choose Auto as well.

We already know how this might be able to work in the future; add it to IdeaScale so we can vote it up!  :)

I'd like to run my 1/4 inch to my amp without a cab and my xlr outs with cab what is the best way to achieve this? I one I can split the signal path at the end and run the cab block on a different line however will this affect the signal as I will have to run all of my fx pre cab block to make this work?

Could someone please clarify this for me:

If I'm running two XLR outs to the FOH, would the "Dual CAB" block be summed to center/mono or panned in stereo hard L/R? If it's the latter, what would be the practical difference from splitting the paths and running two separate "single CAB" blocks in parallel paths A and B?

To simplify:

Amp > Dual CAB > XLR outs

vs

Amp > CAB > XLR L
        > CAB > XLR R 

Hey Line 6 guys...Great unit. One bone to pick. While the Amp, Cab, Effects, and Mics PDFs look great with a black background, it darn near ran me out of black printer ink trying to make a hard copy for quick reference. I can swallow the Helix price, but with the cost of printer cartridges I'm gonna have to really cut back on food and beer. Seriously though, could you guys come up with black letters on white background so I can print a few for my guitar buddies who might be interested? It would be appreciated.

might save money ordering a print and picking it up... you can get it bound to your choosing as well...

http://www.fedex.com/us/office/online-printing.html

Hey Line 6 guys...Great unit. One bone to pick. While the Amp, Cab, Effects, and Mics PDFs look great with a black background, it darn near ran me out of black printer ink trying to make a hard copy for quick reference. I can swallow the Helix price, but with the cost of printer cartridges I'm gonna have to really cut back on food and beer. Seriously though, could you guys come up with black letters on white background so I can print a few for my guitar buddies who might be interested? It would be appreciated.

Why not print the manual instead and skip the front and back covers (which are black)? Or invert the colors before printing?

• Upvote 1

Why not print the manual instead and skip the front and back covers (which are black)? Or invert the colors before printing?

Hi. I'm just after the Amp, Cab, Mic, Effects PDFs so I can hand them to other people that don't know what a Helix has in it. With a black background it takes alot of ink. Not trying to make a big deal, just asking for black on white pdf. Again, great unit. Thanks and DI you have been great in all the forums.

I found this: http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/effects-controllers/helix/helix-amp-model-comparison-list-r769

That's what I'm talkin about...just need the other stuff...Just like this was easy to print: http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/amplifi-products/ampl/amplififulllistofampsandeffects. I have friends who are not internet savvy, but are guitar savants who I wouid like to get this list into their hot little hands. Sorry for taking up your time.

Apologies is this has already been answered: is it possible to change the "EXP1/EXP2" scribble strip display? I do see an option for customizing the "toe switch" label.. But I don't see that it shows up on an LCD anywhere when I change it.

Apologies is this has already been answered: is it possible to change the "EXP1/EXP2" scribble strip display? I do see an option for customizing the "toe switch" label.. But I don't see that it shows up on an LCD anywhere when I change it.

Yeah, you can custom label it from either the Footswitch Assign or Command Center pages.

1. From the Command Center screen, select Footswitch 1-5, 7-11, or Exp Toe with a command assigned and press Knob 6 (Customize).

Move the joystick left or right to move the cursor.

Turn the joystick (or move it up/down) to change the selected character.

Press Knob 2 (Delete) to delete the selected character and shift all following characters to the left.

Press Knob 3 (Clear) to clear the selected character.

Press Knob 4 (Remove) to remove the custom label, after which the footswitch displays its normal assignment. 

2. Press Knob 6 (OK).

Yeah, you can custom label it from either the Footswitch Assign or Command Center pages.

1. From the Command Center screen, select Footswitch 1-5, 7-11, or Exp Toe with a command assigned and press Knob 6 (Customize).[/size]

Move the joystick left or right to move the cursor.

Turn the joystick (or move it up/down) to change the selected character.

Press Knob 2 (Delete) to delete the selected character and shift all following characters to the left.

Press Knob 3 (Clear) to clear the selected character.

Press Knob 4 (Remove) to remove the custom label, after which the footswitch displays its normal assignment. 

2. Press Knob 6 (OK).[/size]

So, I tried this before from the footswitch assign with no luck. Just tried from the command center after adding a MIDI command and still no luck. Even after I assigned a label it would continue to display "EXP1 EXP2", but I figured it out.

Turns out that you HAVE to change the default label that appears under "customize" or it doesn't display. For example, if I'm using the Teardrop 310 wah model and it's assigned footswitch is EXP Toe, I press "customize" the default label is "Teardrop 310". If I then press "OK" the scribble strip still reads "EXP1 EXP2". However, if I change the label at all, from "Teardrop 310" to "wah" or even "Teardrop" for example, it shows up on the scribble strip. Just a little insight for anyone else that ran into this.

Hey guys, I'm using the Helix in conjunction with my RC300 looper to play solo gigs. I want to take full advantage of the midi capabilities of both pedals, but I have a very basic understanding of what those capabilities actually are. Right now, I have the Helix sending PC changes to the RC300. Thathe was easy. Now I want the Helix tempo to match the tempo of each RC300 patch. Is that possible? Also wondering if there was a way via Midi to use the RC300 expression pedal to control a Helix effect? That would preclude the need for another pedal in my rig. I know a lot of this involves understanding the RC300 which is not what this forum is about. But just in general, is it possible?

Turns out that you HAVE to change the default label that appears under "customize" or it doesn't display.

Correct. We do this on purpose, in case this happens:

1. Open the Customize screen for a Simple Delay block. See "Simple Delay" as the default label.
  2. Think "Oh, that's kinda cool. I can customize stuff. Maybe later," and close the window by pressing Knob 6 (OK) instead of Knob 1 (Cancel).
  3. Change the delay model to Mod/Chorus Echo. The big screen reads the new model but the scribble strip still reads "Simple Delay." WHA?!

Now if you accidentally press Knob 6 (OK) without changing anything, Helix knows you probably didn't want to change the label, and doesn't apply anything.

What's scary is that Helix is chock full of intelligent rules like this. It's an INSANE amount of work to get things to just work the way a user might expect. The easier something is to use, the harder it is to develop.

Ok so since tgp page is closed I will ask my questions here lol. Probably easier without all the bickering anyway. Here goes

1)I have a question for helix owners. Which non matched combinations of amp and cabs have you experimented with? What are the pitfalls and advantages of using some non matched sets? I'm particularly interested in combinations of the more botique-ish amp heads such as the interstate, divided duo.

Also I'm wondering what are some good combos for using amps with double cabs?

Anybody have any presets of these kinds they could share and describe?

2)DI you mentioned blending mics on tgp. I'm not sure I understand how to do this on a cab on the helix. Can you clarify?

3)I tried using global eq with the high cut as suggested to help the tone. However I felt that the other default global eq settings were not optimal. I don't have much of a sound engineering background. I'm using an l2t and k12s for foh. Is there any someone could suggest a basic global eq settings that include the high cut and would work for most situations with these speakers. I understand every room is different and I should use my ears. I'm not looking for specifics so much as some basic guidelines to go by. Any help would be appreciated.

If I'm running two XLR outs to the FOH, would the "Dual CAB" block be summed to center/mono or panned in stereo hard L/R? If it's the latter, what would be the practical difference from splitting the paths and running two separate "single CAB" blocks in parallel paths A and B?

To simplify:

vs

Amp > CAB > XLR L

> CAB > XLR R 

Anyone?

Correct. We do this on purpose, in case this happens:

• Open the Customize screen for a Simple Delay block. See "Simple Delay" as the default label.
  • Think "Oh, that's kinda cool. I can customize stuff. Maybe later," and close the window by pressing Knob 6 (OK) instead of Knob 1 (Cancel).
  • Change the delay model to Mod/Chorus Echo. The big screen reads the new model but the scribble strip still reads "Simple Delay." WHA?!
Now if you accidentally press Knob 6 (OK) without changing anything, Helix knows you probably didn't want to change the label, and doesn't apply anything.

What's scary is that Helix is chock full of intelligent rules like this. It's an INSANE amount of work to get things to just work the way a user might expect. The easier something is to use, the harder it is to develop.

I just got to my helix. I am very excited, probably one of the very first in Europe. Mostly it delivers on its promise. It is very easy to edit and the tones are definitely there. Even some of the factory patches work for me which is a first for me.

However, here's my question, digital igloo, I seem to run out of DSP very fast where it was never a problem with me before on other platforms. Even if I just want to add an impulse response to one of the fender factory patches, the 2048 is grayed out, and other factory patches, I cannot even add an impulse response without deleting one of the other effects. I've never even come close to 10 effects, let alone the 32, so what am I doing wrong?

To simplify:

vs

Amp > CAB > XLR L

> CAB > XLR R 

Assuming you have nothing else between the amp and cab blocks, there would be no difference. Using a dual cab block just gives you a way to have stereo separation coming out of the amp without having to actually add another path.

I just got to my helix. I am very excited, probably one of the very first in Europe. Mostly it delivers on its promise. It is very easy to edit and the tones are definitely there. Even some of the factory patches work for me which is a first for me.

However, here's my question, digital igloo, I seem to run out of DSP very fast where it was never a problem with me before on other platforms. Even if I just want to add an impulse response to one of the fender factory patches, the 2048 is grayed out, and other factory patches, I cannot even add an impulse response without deleting one of the other effects. I've never even come close to 10 effects, let alone the 32, so what am I doing wrong?

Well an IR can use up to 35% or more of the available DSP in one of the processors, so if you have a path that's pretty full to begin with, you might not be able to squeeze it in there. If you have a bunch of stuff in the tone path 1, but nothing in 2, I would try moving what you can to path 2 before inserting an IR block.

I seem to run out of DSP very fast where it was never a problem with me before on other platforms. Even if I just want to add an impulse response to one of the fender factory patches, the 2048 is grayed out, and other factory patches, I cannot even add an impulse response without deleting one of the other effects. I've never even come close to 10 effects, let alone the 32, so what am I doing wrong?

Helix has roughly 2.45x the DSP horsepower of HD500X (2.75x that of HD500), but because the models are a lot more DSP-intensive, in practice, you're looking at getting about 40-50% more blocks than HD500X (50-60% more than HD500). But it's not that simple. The input blocks have noise gates, a lot of models have high and low cut filters, and because of the HX engine, one typically requires a lot fewer blocks to get the sound they want.

I've mentioned this plenty of times before, but if one tries to use 4 amps, they probably won't have enough DSP for more than a couple of effects maybe. Whereas if you use no amps, cabs, or IRs, you might get 32 effects, as long as they aren't all reverbs, pitch-shifters, and other DSP-intensive models.

A lot of people also seem to forget about Path 2. That's half your horsepower!

Page 19 of the Owner's Manual has tips and tricks on getting the most out of Helix's DSP.

Can you use a foot switch to change paths?

Yes. 8 TEMPLATES > 02C TwoTones A-B has it set up, ready to go, with spillover delay and reverb. If you'd prefer to smoothly blend between paths with the expression pedal, select 8 TEMPLATE > 02D Two Tones Blend.

Can you use a foot switch to change paths?

There's a number of ways you can do it, but the short answer is yes. If you have two independent paths with the same input assigned to each, you could assign the amp channel volume for the amp block in each path to be controlled by the same footswitch, and set it so that when one is at zero, the other is at full volume (whatever you want that level to be) and vice versa. So that way you could easily toggle between two paths. If you wanted to toggle between two paths where you have a mono chain before effects, you could control the pan parameter of the split block with a footswitch or expression pedal. There are many ways to get from point A to B with the Helix.

Hi. I'm just after the Amp, Cab, Mic, Effects PDFs so I can hand them to other people that don't know what a Helix has in it. 

I have friends who are not internet savvy, but are guitar savants who I wouid like to get this list into their hot little hands. Sorry for taking up your time.

Right click on each of these images and save to your computer - then print them out 

F8B19A5C-5057-4C77-8E09-82AF4E912028_zps

24B8BDDC-2B23-4379-A7E1-2F47244D8815_zps

182738E3-30BB-4B9F-BDF4-863097619021_zps

05B89C7A-04FF-4A1F-8EC4-C4DD62A938AB_zps

7DFC53B4-A9E1-4904-80AD-C0763FFC4B81_zps

F4E66FA4-6144-49C3-B63F-69B062D740EC_zps

6C054FA3-8DC1-4B13-BFBF-0BA9DE7DBFBA_zps

A20CE0C8-D4DA-4543-B4C4-1700D2A4D561_zps

1442951391_345837129_Helix1_n.jpg

1442951390_990922604_Helix200_n.jpg

Yes, that did it! I was doing everything on path one, because I read about the dynamic DSP, figuring moving it to a different path would make no difference. It made all the difference. Now I can have everything I need in a single present. Thanks! Now this is working I have no regrets about selling my ace fx 2!

Helix has roughly 2.45x the DSP horsepower of HD500X (2.75x that of HD500), but because the models are a lot more DSP-intensive, in practice, you're looking at getting about 40-50% more blocks than HD500X (50-60% more than HD500). But it's not that simple. The input blocks have noise gates, a lot of models have high and low cut filters, and because of the HX engine, one typically requires a lot fewer blocks to get the sound they want.

I've mentioned this plenty of times before, but if one tries to use 4 amps, they probably won't have enough DSP for more than a couple of effects maybe. Whereas if you use no amps, cabs, or IRs, you might get 32 effects, as long as they aren't all reverbs, pitch-shifters, and other DSP-intensive models.

A lot of people also seem to forget about Path 2. That's half your horsepower!

Page 19 of the Owner's Manual has tips and tricks on getting the most out of Helix's DSP.

I submitted this to IdeaScale as DI suggested. Vote it up!

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Settings-appear-on-Screen-when-Block-is-Turned-On/788135-23508?submitted=1

flaviogianello, or someone else that understands...  What does he mean by "a multifx that cuts the delay tails"  I have my own theory but I'm not understanding why someone would have an issue with this unless I'm actually NOT understanding it.

I'm referring to the fact that, when you change the patch, the Helix doesn't mantain the spillover of the delay (and reverbs).

So, for example, the repetitions of the delay disappear as soon as you change the patch.

I can understand that for many people this is not a big issue, but, for my playing style, it is. For example in more than one song I pass, without a pause, from a quite wet lead sound to a very simple clean. This passage, without spillover is not that great. And I can't solve with footswitch mode because one of the reason I love multifx is that I don't need to tip-tap thorught switches and, once again, for my sounds, I should activate and deactivate 4-5 pedals every time at the same time... no way! :)

Neighter A/B mode is a big deal because I have at least 3 (sometimes also 4) sound for each song.

I'm confident that the guys at line6 will found a solution for this issue.

I can see a great work and passion for the new Helix and it's quite clear to me that their intention was and still is to make the best pedalboard possibile and to listen to the customers feedback very carefully.

I'm referring to the fact that, when you change the patch, the Helix doesn't mantain the spillover of the delay (and reverbs).

So, for example, the repetitions of the delay disappear as soon as you change the patch.

I can understand that for many people this is not a big issue, but, for my playing style, it is. For example in more than one song I pass, without a pause, from a quite wet lead sound to a very simple clean. This passage, without spillover is not that great. And I can't solve with footswitch mode because one of the reason I love multifx is that I don't need to tip-tap thorught switches and, once again, for my sounds, I should activate and deactivate 4-5 pedals every time at the same time... no way! :)

Neighter A/B mode is a big deal because I have at least 3 (sometimes also 4) sound for each song.

I'm confident that the guys at line6 will found a solution for this issue.

I can see a great work and passion for the new Helix and it's quite clear to me that their intention was and still is to make the best pedalboard possibile and to listen to the customers feedback very carefully.

Wow, I think that's going to be a tough one.  I totally get what you mean, I do nearly the same thing but in my case I'm really only cutting the drive in/out to go from fat crunch to clean.   In my case I leave the chorus and lite echo on so I don't have the continuity issue, and... in other cases the transition is a measure long so I can get away with it.   Now I don't have the unit yet, but I wonder... if a way to cheat it is rather than switch patches... switch paths..

So lets see if I can get this... There'a a couple ways to do this, but essentially run the same signal down two paths or two sets of patch (mono vs stereo)..  Mono would really make this easy...   Anyway...  set up a switch to switch between the INPUT of two paths or maybe even the expression pedal to "pan" the INPUT between the two paths.   Merge the output paths back together.   This way... when you move your input from the wet input to the dry input... the output of the wet will continue until it's done...

Not sure if the unit's DSP can handle all you need, but sounds like this might work.

• Line6Tony unpinned and locked this topic