Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix FAQ

Digital_Igloo

Would having a delay pedal in FX loop create sort of a spillover type thing?

Or would the external delay be cut out as well? If the FX loop were on in both patches?

Waiting for Helix :)

I totally had the same idea in my post but removed it before I posted - cause I wasn't sure if Helix could handle that scenario. My assumption is that the loops would cut out too between changes.

@optimus_7, couldn't agree more. Another solution to spillover is to design your patches so you don't need to change patches in the middle of a song. I have a blog post I'm working on that discusses the various merits of sticking with a patch and changing effects vs. changing patches. Personally, I mostly use one patch and avoid distracting myself and my audience with too much variability.

I love hearing that amsdenj! That's how I've been working for the past few years. I have 2 bands I play guitar in regularly - an 80's and a 90's band. I used to model the whole tone of any guitar player I was covering, from Elliott Easton to Kurt Cobain. But now - I make virtual pedalboards that are basically 7-10 stompboxes (I just added an M9 to my POD HD500 ) and I can get any sound I need live on demand! Lemme know if you need use-cases for your blog - happy to help!

Rock on!

B - If you absolutely have to have Helix - then stop bugging Line 6 about spillover

The sentiment is appreciated, but if spillover is really important to someone, they shouldn't stop bugging us about it.  :)

However, they should understand that perfect preset spillover—that is, two full presets worth of blocks are active simultaneously during preset changing—ain't gonna happen. That requires twice the DSP and twice the DSP would give us soooo many more important things than spillover (like better modeling!), I just don't see that ever happening in any hardware product outside of DigiTech's GSP1101.

But other features that might approximate spillover? That's totally within the realm of possibility. We're just getting started.

• Upvote 2

I don't know if this is possible but what if helix would know what patch is selected next. Would there be a possibility to load that in the memory for faster change?

I mean usually it is always the same patch that is called next. So if we could assign the "next" patch that will be called and store it in the patch. Is there a possibility to preload that patch so that when it is called the load process speeds up?

Let's say I'm on Patch 01A and I know that In the song I'm changing from 01A to 01B and back. Then in patch 01A I would tell Helix that the next patch called is the 01B. In patch 01B I do the same and tell Helix that the next patch called is 01A. So Helix could preload them for faster change.

• Upvote 1

milliseconds I think.

Some might be, haven't looked at all. But others, like the script phase, isn't indicated, it's just a number, and milliseconds doesn't make sense for that, especially considering the values displayed, 0.0 - 10.0. The new deluxe phaser, however, is labeled in Hz.

Some might be, haven't looked at all. But others, like the script phase, isn't indicated, it's just a number, and milliseconds doesn't make sense for that, especially considering the values displayed, 0.0 - 10.0. The new deluxe phaser, however, is labeled in Hz.

The effects with parameters that don't have labels were modeled after effects where those knobs don't scale in a linear way. The Phase 90, for instance, just has a knob that goes from 0-10 without having labels for the actual values. I imagine that there was enough variance in those old analogue circuits, that trying to label the knob with Hz values would have been kind of fruitless. I guess Line 6 could figure it out and change label, but I guess they're trying to model the actual control in this case.
  • Upvote 1

The effects with parameters that don't have labels were modeled after effects where those knobs don't scale in a linear way. The Phase 90, for instance, just has a knob that goes from 0-10 without having labels for the actual values. I imagine that there was enough variance in those old analogue circuits, that trying to label the knob with Hz values would have been kind of fruitless. I guess Line 6 could figure it out and change label, but I guess they're trying to model the actual control in this case.

Thanks. Makes sense, but a little frustrating to actually work with when looking for exact values, having things "click" in place, rather than a slower-slow-fast type of thing. Could be a bit of OCD at work.

I'm sure all this is possible with Helix, but I couldn't find specific answers anywhere yet:

• Can you assign one of the Helix footswitches to switch between Paths 1/2 or A/B (not Y splits) while both paths are being used? Can you then use the remaining 'Upper' row switches to switch FX blocks on and off on each Path independently? The Helix manual talks about morphing between A & B but not switching between them and adding effects while both are active.

I still use the X3 Live (8 years now!), running two signal chains; Path 1 goes straight into a Vox AC30 (with NO amp/cab/mic) routed through the 1/4" outputs; and Path 2 (with Amp/Cab/Mic) goes straight to FOH through the XLR outputs. The X3 allows me to switch between Paths 1 & 2, and add effects independently (e.g. can run an overdrive on Path 1 into the amp and chorus/delay 'post' on Path 2, into the PA), during performance.

• Also, I've been using the FX send on the X3 to run a clean guitar signal into my TC Helicon VoiceLive2; the Helix manual says two output assignments per path, so will it be possible to route a clean signal (before any FX blocks) through an FX send to the VoiceLive?
  • I use the Aux input on the X3 to plug in the signal from my GR-55 (from its 'Guitar Out'). My GK3-equipped guitar has 2 cables - one goes to the X3 and the 13-pin GK goes into the GR. The Aux input on the Helix is supposed to be for 'active-pickup' guitars/basses. Will it work well with the signal from the GR55?

Thanks

Bruce

I'm sure all this is possible with Helix, but I couldn't find specific answers anywhere yet:

• Can you assign one of the Helix footswitches to switch between Paths 1/2 or A/B (not Y splits) while both paths are being used? Can you then use the remaining 'Upper' row switches to switch FX blocks on and off on each Path independently? The Helix manual talks about morphing between A & B but not switching between them and adding effects while both are active.

I still use the X3 Live (8 years now!), running two signal chains; Path 1 goes straight into a Vox AC30 (with NO amp/cab/mic) routed through the 1/4" outputs; and Path 2 (with Amp/Cab/Mic) goes straight to FOH through the XLR outputs. The X3 allows me to switch between Paths 1 & 2, and add effects independently (e.g. can run an overdrive on Path 1 into the amp and chorus/delay 'post' on Path 2, into the PA), during performance.

• Also, I've been using the FX send on the X3 to run a clean guitar signal into my TC Helicon VoiceLive2; the Helix manual says two output assignments per path, so will it be possible to route a clean signal (before any FX blocks) through an FX send to the VoiceLive?
  • I use the Aux input on the X3 to plug in the signal from my GR-55 (from its 'Guitar Out'). My GK3-equipped guitar has 2 cables - one goes to the X3 and the 13-pin GK goes into the GR. The Aux input on the Helix is supposed to be for 'active-pickup' guitars/basses. Will it work well with the signal from the GR55?

Thanks

Bruce

You can do everything you're talking about here with the Helix. Compared to the X3L, though, it's a completely different type of product. With the X3L, you have two independent signal chains where blocks are more or less fixed in the chain (I know you can change the pre or post positions of certain blocks). With the Helix, you can use any type of block anywhere in any of the signal chains as long you have enough DSP to do what you want to do.

As far as plugging the GR55 into the aux in, yes, it should work fine.

Hey guys! 

So the Rack Helix combined with the Floor controller, does this enable me to go from a clean patch to a distortion easily? is there a lag?

ideally I want to make a clean patch with a little colour and tiny bit or either delay or reverb, then switch to a heavy distortion with hopefully one button press on the controller. 

thanks for the help! 

Hey guys! 

So the Rack Helix combined with the Floor controller, does this enable me to go from a clean patch to a distortion easily? is there a lag?

ideally I want to make a clean patch with a little colour and tiny bit or either delay or reverb, then switch to a heavy distortion with hopefully one button press on the controller. 

thanks for the help! 

There should be no difference to the Pedal Version.

I would create a two Path patch so that you can switch Path with just one button fluidly. There is a Template for this in the Template setlist

Hi,

I registered today to ask a simple question. XLR out levels can be "adequate for MIC" or "adequate for line" but I am REALLY interested in actual LEVELS.

In dBV or dBu or mV RMS. I know for a fact that older Line6 equipment is NOT adequate to drive my Power Amplifire. I know that some equipment form companies like Di***ch. Fr***l and others can fully drive my Power Amplifier. I am looking for a solution for 2 complete signal paths that beats the solution I have today. But I don't know output levels for Helix. They are not listed in the specifications (Why everybody else shares this information but not Line6?).

I asked twice in "The Gear Page" and DI said he could answer me but... finally I did not get an answer and I became less interested. Sorry if it has been published in these months.... anyway not in the specs.

Thanks a lot,

Luis

Hi,

I registered today to ask a simple question. XLR out levels can be "adequate for MIC" or "adequate for line" but I am REALLY interested in actual LEVELS.

In dBV or dBu or mV RMS. I know for a fact that older Line6 equipment is NOT adequate to drive my Power Amplifire. I know that some equipment form companies like Di***ch. Fr***l and others can fully drive my Power Amplifier. I am looking for a solution for 2 complete signal paths that beats the solution I have today. But I don't know output levels for Helix. They are not listed in the specifications (Why everybody else shares this information but not Line6?).

I asked twice in "The Gear Page" and DI said he could answer me but... finally I did not get an answer and I became less interested. Sorry if it has been published in these months.... anyway not in the specs.

Thanks a lot,

Luis

Well. older PODs, with the exception of the Pro versions, never had the option of setting the XLR outs to line level. They were always mic level. The Helix's XLR outs can be set to line level, and I am almost positive that it's pro line level - +4dBu. Of course, though, the actual level at the outputs depends on where the levels are for the various blocks used in the patch, and where the master volume knob is set (assuming you're not bypassing it). I have no doubt that you'll be able to drive a power amp. Many people have been doing it. I've done it with my L2t speakers (bypassing the preamp section, going straight into the power amp in), and they work fine. Have never even come close to having to max out their volume.

Well. older PODs, with the exception of the Pro versions, never had the option of setting the XLR outs to line level. They were always mic level. The Helix's XLR outs can be set to line level, and I am almost positive that it's pro line level - +4dBu. Of course, though, the actual level at the outputs depends on where the levels are for the various blocks used in the patch, and where the master volume knob is set (assuming you're not bypassing it). I have no doubt that you'll be able to drive a power amp. Many people have been doing it. I've done it with my L2t speakers (bypassing the preamp section, going straight into the power amp in), and they work fine. Have never even come close to having to max out their volume.

This does not answer my simple question. Again.

Of course I understand the actual level depends on the volume control, on multiple level controls... and even on the way I pluck my instrument.

Does anybody in Line6 know what's the full scale outout level in the XLR outputs? And by the way, are the jack outputs single ended or balanced? Levels?

Thanks a lot.

Does anybody in Line6 know what's the full scale outout level in the XLR outputs? And by the way, are the jack outputs single ended or balanced? Levels?

This is from Helix's electrical engineer:

The XLR outputs, when set to line level, are 20Vpp max, which is approximately +19.2dBu. So if you want to talk about nominal levels, you can say that’s +4dBu nominal with approximately 15dB of headroom. The ¼†outputs are exactly the same levels when set to line level, except unbalanced.

XLR outputs are balanced. Another thing to consider is Helix's Guitar Input, which has > 123dB of dynamic range (due to patented circuitry), which is industry-leading.

• Upvote 1

Digital Igloo, thanks for the response. I really needed it, in fact last time I checked (reading many pages here and in TheGearPage.com) I found more people asking for the same numbers.

It is good that the 1/4'' are also useful for what I want. Now I am reconsidering Helix again to substitute my current gear. It is also useful to know the headroom, this way I know how to plan my gain structure to have no risk of clipping without adding unnecessary noise.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the data.

Oh, you mean the footswitches?

By default, there are two footswitch modes—Preset and Stomp. You toggle them with the MODE switch. In Preset mode, you get eight presets, in Stomp mode, you get eight stomps.

You can also customize how the switches appear. In Preset mode, you can choose to view four stomps on the top row (like HD500X) or the bottom row, and in Stomp mode, you can swap out Bank Up/Down for two more stomp switches. You can also repurpose Bank Up/Down as Preset Up/Down.

If you press Bank Up or Down, you'll queue the next eight presets (they'll flash). Then hit the desired preset switch.

In Preset mode, how do you "choose" to view the four stomps on the top row (like HD500)? Is it a setting somewhere in Globals or something? Hitting the "mode" footswitch, I only see Preset (with all 8 as presets) and Stomp mode.

In Preset mode, how do you "choose" to view the four stomps on the top row (like HD500)? Is it a setting somewhere in Globals or something? Hitting the "mode" footswitch, I only see Preset (with all 8 as presets) and Stomp mode.

1. Press MENU and then Knob 6 (Global Settings).
  2. Use the joystick to select the Footswitches submenu.
  3. Turn Knob 2 (Preset Mode Footswitches) to select "Lower Row."

This might be a silly question..

is there a way to load the latest factory presets without doing a reset? It would be great if the factory presets are treated as setlist so we can import.

I don't want to reload all IRs....

In patch mode on helix could you for example, have the bottom buttons change patches, but the top buttons turn on and off fx stomp delay etc? You may have a crunch sound that you would like to just click on a delay without having to change patches or change into "stomp" mode.

Next is it possible to send out of the xlr out to a pa etc. WITH cab models on, and at the same time send out the 1/4 jack into a power amp and can WITHOUT the cab modelling on

Seems I finally found an answer to my first question about preset mode and having the top buttons be stomp controls while the bottom are presets.

Just trying to find out if the cab part can be turned off to go into a power amp and cab from the 1/4 outs, but at the same time the cab simulation stays on thru the direct xlr to PA outs?

• 2 weeks later...

...Helix is a different type of processor; if anything, it'd make a great master controller and audio routing/recording hub for... AxeFX...

Hi, I've got a quick question about MIDI implementation as I plan on doing exactly this (if it will work as I hope)...

When in "Looper Mode," if I have MIDI commands programmed into the switches that control playback/overdub/etc, will those commands be defeated, or will they still be sent, meaning that my external gear is still going to switch presets or turn on/off even though all I'm trying to do is layer a loop?

Further, if those messages CAN be disabled for looper use, could those switches also be redefined while in looper mode? 

Just to give an example, let's say I have an outboard piece that will hard pan with a given command, and I want it to do so every time I overdub something, can I program the "overdub" button to send [PC or CC message #], but outside of looper mode have that switch go back to sending whatever other MIDI command I have it set for?

...or simply, can looper mode buttons send different messages (or no message at all) than the other two switching modes?

Thanks!

Hi, I've got a quick question about MIDI implementation as I plan on doing exactly this (if it will work as I hope)...

When in "Looper Mode," if I have MIDI commands programmed into the switches that control playback/overdub/etc, will those commands be defeated, or will they still be sent, meaning that my external gear is still going to switch presets or turn on/off even though all I'm trying to do is layer a loop?

Further, if those messages CAN be disabled for looper use, could those switches also be redefined while in looper mode? 

Just to give an example, let's say I have an outboard piece that will hard pan with a given command, and I want it to do so every time I overdub something, can I program the "overdub" button to send [PC or CC message #], but outside of looper mode have that switch go back to sending whatever other MIDI command I have it set for?

...or simply, can looper mode buttons send different messages (or no message at all) than the other two switching modes?

Thanks!

The Command Center messages only apply to Stomp mode, so if you're in Looper mode, the switches can't send out custom MIDI messages. Actually, they don't currently send anything at all, but we'd like to have them eventually send the same messages as to which they respond.

Incoming CCs can still control parameters/enable Stomp mode switches regardless of the current footswitch mode. So, for example, even if you're running the looper, the blocks can be controlled/bypassed via MIDI.

The Command Center messages only apply to Stomp mode, so if you're in Looper mode, the switches can't send out custom MIDI messages. Actually, they don't currently send anything at all, but we'd like to have them eventually send the same messages as to which they respond.

Incoming CCs can still control parameters/enable Stomp mode switches regardless of the current footswitch mode. So, for example, even if you're running the looper, the blocks can be controlled/bypassed via MIDI.

Not sure what you mean by "send the same messages as to which they respond".

On the POD HD500X Looper mode sent dedicated, fixed MIDI CC messages. Are these also the MIDI messages to which they respond?

I used Looper mode to essentially double the number of footswitches. When not in Looper mode. The foot switches were used as stomp switches. When in Looper mode, I used the fixed (and different) CC messages to control the MainStage looper, or recording in Logic Pro X. This way I didn't have to give up the stomp switches in a patch in order to control an external looper app or DAW.

I hope eventually Helix will either send similar fixed CC messages, or better allow user specification of MIDI messages for all Helix footswitch modes.

The sentiment is appreciated, but if spillover is really important to someone, they shouldn't stop bugging us about it.  :)

However, they should understand that perfect preset spillover—that is, two full presets worth of blocks are active simultaneously during preset changing—ain't gonna happen. That requires twice the DSP and twice the DSP would give us soooo many more important things than spillover (like better modeling!), I just don't see that ever happening in any hardware product outside of DigiTech's GSP1101.

But other features that might approximate spillover? That's totally within the realm of possibility. We're just getting started.

Thanks DI - any developments will be greatly appreciated :)

I'm pretty sure I can program in my spillover needs to the current system, but a scene mode would make life much easier.

Can I toggle between two stomp boxes on the same footswitch?  In other words have a chorus on footswitch 11, then be able to touch footswitch 11 again and have a tremelo, then  touch footswitch 11 again and it turns off?

Thank you!

Can I toggle between two stomp boxes on the same footswitch?  In other words have a chorus on footswitch 11, then be able to touch footswitch 11 again and have a tremelo, then  touch footswitch 11 again and it turns off?

Thank you!

You can have two effects assigned to the same footswitch, and you can have them toggled opposite of each other so that when one is on the other is off and vice versa. But if you do this, one of them will always be on. There's no way to turn them both off at the same time with a footswitch in this configuration.

Thank you for your quick reply.  Helpful, but I do need to be able to alos turn both off.

One workaround could be to assign the mix parameter of both effects to either an expression pedal or another footswitch so that when the mix of one is up to where you'd want it in the on state, the other is at zero and vice versa. Then you could still assign both of these effects to the same footswitch, but rather than having them toggled opposite each other, just have them both be off or on at the same time. So you still have the ability to switch between them, but you also can turn them both off.

Awesome! Irie, respect!

I have a Pod HD Pro. Can i export a bundle from Pod HD Pro Edit and import it into the Helix Editor? I realize that the sounds will probably change somewhat. I've done quite a bit of custom midi settings and would like to keep my presets if possible. 

I have a Pod HD Pro. Can i export a bundle from Pod HD Pro Edit and import it into the Helix Editor? I realize that the sounds will probably change somewhat. I've done quite a bit of custom midi settings and would like to keep my presets if possible. 

Unfortunately, no. POD HD and Helix have vastly different architectures.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the update, Digital Igloo! I've recreated many of the scenes that I use (and added new ones) but have seen some limitations in the MIDI functionality (Tap tempo via Midi clock, enabling/disabling effects blocks via midi, etc.) Is there any work being done on Midi functionality?

... some limitations in the MIDI functionality (Tap tempo via Midi clock, enabling/disabling effects blocks via midi, etc.) Is there any work being done on Midi functionality?

Some limitations with MIDI - yep, there sure is!

No clock - correct!

There are a whole bunch of threads on here about what is and what is not possible via MIDI - go check a few! They're real fun.

I've spent the last 2 months on this forum, ranting and raving about my own personal MIDI hell.

Well, as we all know "Digital_Igloo" doesn't like rumours on here because, he says that "Misinformation spreads on the internet like wildfire."

But, I recently had confirmation from Tech Support that a solution was under development and "DI" also speculated that it would be in the next Flash Memory Firmware Upgrade!

Some of us, and readers of The Gear Page understood, from Digital_Igloo's posts, that may well be within the next week!

Let's hope it's true and then I can get back to my real life.

I'll bet some people will be a little unhappy if all they get is a tech fix for MIDI and the tuner but no custom amps in the next FW.

WOW! Wait for it to hit the fan!

• Upvote 1

Sorry if already asked but looks like it wasn't.  No Big User View on the Helix?  Seems with all that display real estate it could be there and be even better than HD500X like patch number plus name - in big font.  When performing live I don't care about seeing routing - just big clear display of the patch I'm on.

• Upvote 1

Every few months I check the update status of the Helix, hoping that Line6 has added support for global blocks and scenes. And no such luck. I was really looking forward to making the switch to a Helix, but so far it can't work the way I need it to. Oh well. I'll keep checking back every few months...

• Line6Tony unpinned and locked this topic