Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix FAQ

Digital_Igloo

What is the Scale parameter on the delay pedal blocks? Someone asked this question over on the TGP site and no answer has been given. I thought maybe someone here could help.

Don't have an answer unfortunatly. There's quite a few parameters that I don't know what it's supposed to do. A few blocks have the Headroom parameter...? 

That's why we need a better description in the manual. Hopefully they will update it for the next major FW since we seem to be stuck in the past with rev B documentation

What is the Scale parameter on the delay pedal blocks? Someone asked this question over on the TGP site and no answer has been given. I thought maybe someone here could help.

It must be to do with stereo width, as scale does not appear at all in mono delay blocks.

Hi rwhite137,

I spotted that question on TGP and thought you guys would have come up with an answer pretty darn quick!

O.K. Don't hold me to this but, the way I understand it to work is, the Scale is equal to the percent value shown against the Time value.

e.g. if a Ping Pong Delay Time set at 600 ms and Scale set at 50% it will give a result of Ping = 600 ms and Pong = 300 ms (300 being 50% of 600).

AFAIK "ricksteruk" is correct in stating it is a stereo only option. You can find it In Ping Pong, Transistor Tape, Bucket Brigade and Adriatic Delay, although it is more evident in the Multistep Delays where each Tap has a percent rate of the main Time factor as well as an individual Pan and Level setting. So if the Time value is 1.000sec and T1Scale is set to 25% it's repeat will happen at 1/4 of a second, T2Scale on 50% will repeat on 1/2 second and so forth. Experiment - it's software, you cannot break it!

Hope this makes sense.

Regards

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Don't have an answer unfortunatly. There's quite a few parameters that I don't know what it's supposed to do. A few blocks have the Headroom parameter...? 

That's why we need a better description in the manual. Hopefully they will update it for the next major FW since we seem to be stuck in the past with rev B documentation

Hi pilottes,

Re: Headroom parameter.

Check this out and see if it makes any more sense - save me typing another explanation.

http://line6.com/support/topic/18675-what-does-the-headroom-parameter-of-the-flanger-or-chorus-mod-fx-mean/?do=findComment&comment=139356

Hope it helps.

It must be to do with stereo width, as scale does not appear at all in mono delay blocks.

Hi rwhite137,

I spotted that question on TGP and thought you guys would have come up with an answer pretty darn quick!

O.K. Don't hold me to this but, the way I understand it to work is, the Scale is equal to the percent value shown against the Time value.

e.g. if a Ping Pong Delay Time set at 600 ms and Scale set at 50% it will give a result of Ping = 600 ms and Pong = 300 ms (300 being 50% of 600).

AFAIK "ricksteruk" is correct in stating it is a stereo only option. You can find it In Ping Pong, Transistor Tape, Bucket Brigade and Adriatic Delay, although it is more evident in the Multistep Delays where each Tap has a percent rate of the main Time factor as well as an individual Pan and Level setting. So if the Time value is 1.000sec and T1Scale is set to 25% it's repeat will happen at 1/4 of a second, T2Scale on 50% will repeat on 1/2 second and so forth. Experiment - it's software, you cannot break it!

Hope this makes sense.

Regards

Thanks everyone. My head is spinning, but I think I understand it now. Wow, I didn't know being a musician was so complicated.  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I've tried to post this question in a couple of different places, but it seemingly never gets "approved", so I figured I'd try it here. 

The question regards the Helix driver and editor software in a Linux environment.  I saw a note further upstream that the current driver wasn't "class compliant" so that there might not be native functionality, but has anyone successfully gotten them to work using WINE?  I'm really wanting to set up another Linux partition, but my main home computer usage these days is primarily just Helix Edit and Reaper, so if it won't work, I may just stand on my Win7 partition and not bother for now.

Has there been any thought or effort to creating Linux-native drivers or editor software?  Granted, with all the different distros, it could be tricky, but something even "functional" might be nice.

Thanks to any and all for their consideration and responses.  Really, really loving the Helix BTW.  Haven't powered up my GT-10 since I got it. :D

• 1 month later...

For those of you who want to hear it: I recorded the my new Variax Standard with upgraded Don Mare SuperSport pickups into the Helix (VDI input) using this patch with the last of the IRs I posted straight into Logic Pro on my Macbook. No editing! I have posted both the soundcloud and the original uncompressed wav. During the take, I switch from the magnetic Don Mare pickups to the Variax Firebird neck humbucker and Variax Les Paul Humbucker back to magnetics. I think it all sounds very impressive even though the playing is sloppy. This thing is addictive like nothing else was for me before. And I never got such a convincing recording of my electric guitar and amp without actually micing up my best Two Rock. Never got this far with my AxeFx2. 

I look forward to your feedback. Please keep in mind these are raw direct recordings with no post processing or EQing like you would do on an actual recording. 

https://soundcloud.com/joost-assink/line-6-helix-two-rock-cleanish-from-variax-standard

http://www.familieassink.com/documents/HelixTwoRockCleanish.wav

And just for fun, here is a rough, unedited, un-eqed recording of my Variax Standard through VDI into my Line 6 Helix, straight into Logic Pro, no effects, no editing. I used a Taylor 314e Impulse Response that is floating around the net:

https://soundcloud.com/joost-assink/line-6-helix-acoustic-patch-using-variax-standard-with-taylor314ce-ir

http://www.familieassink.com/documents/HelixAcoustic.wav

Hi! First post here and I am BEGGING you to help me duplicate that Acoustic tone - Could you upload your Variax "Dreadnaught"patch AND the HELIX patch you used to achieve this? I tried to download the "Taylor IR"you linked to but no joy... I'd be forever grateful if you can help me achieve this. It's the best tone by a country mile I have heard for acoustic using the Variax!!!

So I just got my Helix this past week and my Helix Control today. I'm setting up my footswitches and presets. The Helix is very easy to customize and change your sound but I'm wondering how I would go about changing the LED colors on both the presets and the tap tempo (from red). 

So I just got my Helix this past week and my Helix Control today. I'm setting up my footswitches and presets. The Helix is very easy to customize and change your sound but I'm wondering how I would go about changing the LED colors on both the presets and the tap tempo (from red). 

You can't at the moment. The preset rings and tap tempo are always going to be red. The rings will change colors automatically in Stomp mode according to what kind of effect you have assigned to them, or you can assign a custom color in Stomp mode as well.

You can't at the moment. The preset rings and tap tempo are always going to be red. The rings will change colors automatically in Stomp mode according to what kind of effect you have assigned to them, or you can assign a custom color in Stomp mode as well.

Thanks man. I hope L6 changes that. So far I've been extremely impressed with the way the Helix sounds, so that's chief among my nitpicky complaints. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I have made the decision to go HELIX!! 

I just wan't to make sure that if I were to buy the floor unit and I were to have powered speakers or monitors, is that is all I am going to need to make some noise.  I love the idea of bringing just a flood unit and a personal monitor for myself and running the helix into the FOH.  I would prefer to use a powered speaker for home practicing and personal monitor so that I do not need to alter cab simulators depending depending on which out I am using.  Is there anything I am missing or anything I am wrong in my understanding?

Thinking the Helix might just replace my Kemper.

Quick question: I plan on using the first 3 send and returns with overdrive pedals. I;ll never put anything between them inside the Helix. Since I like to stack my overdrives at times for lead I might have all 3 on at the same time. other times just one. In addition, I want to use my eventide H9 in the 4th send/return loop, placed after a Helix amp block.  Would I run into any latency issues using four loops like that? In other words, if three loops are placed in a row in a preset, will it have to go digital analog, digital analog, digital analog? 

Mostly what matters is that it won't sound bad if I have all the loops going or expirence latency as a result. '

Also can the Helix send the BPM to my eventide H9 when I switch presets on the Helix? 

Thinking the Helix might just replace my Kemper.

Quick question: I plan on using the first 3 send and returns with overdrive pedals. I;ll never put anything between them inside the Helix. Since I like to stack my overdrives at times for lead I might have all 3 on at the same time. other times just one. In addition, I want to use my eventide H9 in the 4th send/return loop, placed after a Helix amp block.  Would I run into any latency issues using four loops like that? In other words, if three loops are placed in a row in a preset, will it have to go digital analog, digital analog, digital analog? 

Mostly what matters is that it won't sound bad if I have all the loops going or expirence latency as a result. '

Also can the Helix send the BPM to my eventide H9 when I switch presets on the Helix? 

Each loop adds something like 1.5 of latency, perhaps a little less. So even if with 1.5 ms, and counting the Helix's in and out, you would still be around 6 ms of total latency with those three loops on. You should be fine, imo. It seems that most people don't notice anything until it's in the 7 or 8 ms range or even a little higher.

I would think where people would potentially run into issues is if they put digital effects in the loop that don't have analogue dry paths. In that case, if you'd be stacking converters, so it's possible that using multiple loops could actually introduce a noticeable latency.

As far as sending the BPM to the H9, the Helix doesn't currently send or receive MIDI clock data, so that's not possible at the moment. The H9 does let you choose a CC to use for its tap tempo, so you could have the Helix's tap tempo switch set the tap tempo on the H9 as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Newb here to this whole digital effects pedal world. Just unboxed my Helix and love the factory presets but I have some questions and one concern:

1.) I just pulled it out of the box and plugged it into my Mesa DC5 using the 4-cable method...I've noticed the footswitch buttons don't change channels simply by touching them with your skin (as advertised), you have to physically push them. Is this normal out of the box?

2.) How do I get to a blank "new preset" screen so I can start from scratch with a clean slate to create my own patches?

Newb here to this whole digital effects pedal world. Just unboxed my Helix and love the factory presets but I have some questions and one concern:

1.) I just pulled it out of the box and plugged it into my Mesa DC5 using the 4-cable method...I've noticed the footswitch buttons don't change channels simply by touching them with your skin (as advertised), you have to physically push them. Is this normal out of the box?

2.) How do I get to a blank "new preset" screen so I can start from scratch with a clean slate to create my own patches?

The capacitance sensitive footswitches are not designed to change channels on an amp or to change presets with a touch. They are for navigating the interface by for instance changing the home screen focus to the block that a footswitch is assigned to, or for bringing up a footswitch assignment screen. You need to press and click the footswitch for it to change the channel on your amp and you will have to have assigned the proper command to the footswitch in advance for that to work.

You can get a "new preset by first pressing the "Preset" knob and then using the joystick to navigate to any of the new presets in the users lists, e.g. "User 1", "User 2", etc..

Still a newb here and kind of pressed for time (gig tonight and I'm still programming 3 last presets into this Helix).

How do I install a Y split and a merge mixer on either side of dual cabs in the signal chain?

How do I install a Y split and a merge mixer on either side of dual cabs in the signal chain?

Hi Mongo79,

Simple answer - you don't! If you have selected the Dual Cab option in the menu effectively you could choose, for instance, a 2x12 Blue Bell as one cab and maybe a 2x12 Silver Bell as the second option. Trouble with that is they are both still on the same path.

I think what you want to achieve is put a single cab on one path (e.g.: 2x12 Blue Bell) the use the Action Button and Joystick to move it down to a second parallel path (dotted line). Create another cab (e.g..: 2x12 Silver Bell) back on the top path. Helix will automatically generate a Y Split and a Merge Mixer in the active path.

Hope this helps.

It helps greatly. That's what I was trying to do, to copy what is in the factory preset using the Cali Rectifire and twin cabs. The preset shows them split and in two separate paths.

Now for some reason after doing this it's not allowing me to select any reverb, regardless if I have it set mono or stereo prior to the reverb block being placed.

Now for some reason after doing this it's not allowing me to select any reverb, regardless if I have it set mono or stereo prior to the reverb block being placed.

Jeez - if you can't select any reverb, then is sounds to me as if are running out of DSP power!!!!  

That's what Helix does when it goes too far - you can't select anything that won't run.

What are you trying to do in there dude?

Without seeing what you are trying to achieve makes it kinda awkward to come up with an answer.  Plus you want to gig this beast tonight?

I have seen some complex patches made in Helix (even one with 10 different delays) but it still had some processing steam left.

I suggest that you have a look the built in "TEMPLATE" No:01B Parallel spans to see if that type of layout helps free up some DSP for you to use.

Also a quick read of the Owners Manual pages 17 - 20 regarding Serial vs Parallel Routing and DSP allocation may help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LATE EDIT:

I have just copied the Factory Preset 01D to an empty slot on my Helix and removed the Looper, swapped the Reverb from Room to Plate, changed the Phaser to Uni Vibe and the 808 is now a Minotaur. All functioning perfectly. Maybe you got a glitch and need to reboot?

• 1 month later...

Okay, again on the expression pedal thing.  

I hated that i had to push one thing up all the way to switch to exp 2.  For instance, if i had volume on 1 and wah on 2, the only way for me to click over to the wah was the turn the volume all the way up.  Truly stupid.  Is there a way to switch between exp 1 and 2 without using the toe switch now?

You can program the wah to turn via a stomp switch and assign whichever EXP you want for it while maintaining the other EXP on volume or whatever.

When I first got the unit I did not know there was a switch via pressing the pedal hard. 

• 2 months later...

A point many of you who use a Variax are probably already aware of but perhaps worth mentioning. If you need to use the Helix tuner to tune up and you are using a Variax preset that has an alternate tuning you will have to tune to the alternate tuning for that preset (or the current tuning set on your Variax, if you don't have it forced in the preset). The Variax does not 'revert' back to standard tuning while the tuner is on. So for instance if you are in a preset with a 'Drop D' tuning you will need to tune your low 'E' string to a 'D'.

It might be nice to have a global setting for this that either allowed the tuner to override the Variax setting and work in standard tuning, or Variax preset alternate tuning mode, but I suppose there are enough global settings already. This tuning behavior can actually cause you to mis-tune your guitar if you do not remember you had an alternate tuning set up on a Variax preset and tune it to standard(E,B,G,D,A,E). The behavior is not necessarily a bad thing, it does allow you to fine-tune your alternate tuning, it is just something to be aware of. If you are using an alternate tuning and need to tune but don't know the notes that constitute the alternate tuning you can always check the individual string settings in the Variax input block in your preset, or alternatively, go to a Variax preset that is in standard tuning and tune there first.

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure whether this is a bug or was just necessary for this model but the 'British Plexi Jump' amp takes up more DSP than any other amp model on the Helix. Unless this greater amount of DSP used for this model was intentional or required it would be nice to see L6 optimize this model. I guess my question would be why would this amp model use the most DSP? Is it the 'Bright Drive' parameter? There are certainly amp models with several more parameters than this model. Extra parameters may not be the only thing on an amp that takes up more DSP but I don't understand why this amp is the most DSP intensive?

I am not sure whether this is a bug or was just necessary for this model but the 'British Plexi Jump' amp takes up more DSP than any other amp model on the Helix. Unless this greater amount of DSP used for this model was intentional or required it would be nice to see L6 optimize this model. I guess my question would be why would this amp model use the most DSP? Is it the 'Bright Drive' parameter? There are certainly amp models with several more parameters than this model. Extra parameters may not be the only thing on an amp that takes up more DSP but I don't understand why this amp is the most DSP intensive?

As jumpering involves sending the guitar's signal through two Preamp stages, this could be why the British Plexi Jump uses more DSP.

As jumpering involves sending the guitar's signal through two Preamp stages, this could be why the British Plexi Jump uses more DSP.

Sounds like a feasible even probable theory. That could well be it. Or it could be one of the first amp models they made before they learned how to better optimize the code... :)

I would love to see a DSP percentage meter on the Helix so we could figure out how much DSP each block uses. It would be helpful in designing DSP intensive presets. It might also be useful for Line6 developers to assist in optimizing the block's DSP usage although they may/probably have a tool or method they use internally to determine a block's DSP usage.

Don't know if I noticed this previously at some point or if was mentioned when this amp was first added but I was just observing that there is no 'Hum' parameter on the 'Cali IV' (Mesa Mark IV) amp. Anyone know why or the history of that parameter being omitted on this particular amp model? It does have the extra Mesa graphic EQ parameters so perhaps that is the explanation.

• 1 month later...

Hi.  I've had the Helix for a little over a year now was a little disappointed that it didn't have an step sequence FX like in my HD500X and these filters haven't happened in any updates:

- Seeker (seek wah)

- Obi Wah

Also disappointed that there aren't any high gain Distortion pedal models.

I really liked the L6 original Drive and Distortion Models on my HD500x and the M and Firehawk series.  It should be an easy port over.  Or something with that much sustain and distortion without Fuzz dist type colouration or metal zone super mid scoop tone colouration.

The Compulsive V4 is as close as I can get but its really not enough to get that sustain and I don't want to use the delay trick for low gain drive to extend sustain - because I use the delay for other things and I don't want 3 delays running the DSP down.  To get around it I have to use a full amp+cab model Angl +XXL with the presence and treble down - the preamp and amp models are too fizzy through front of an amp/ FX loop to power amp without the cab sim so I need the cab sim in the absence of any good high gain Dist models. It really runs the DSP down.

Back to step seq based FX not featured in L6 prior models but would have been nice to match competitors of the same price point.

Also was hoping for some of these features that are in all the Fractal units including their cheaper unit the AX8 which utilises an internal 16 step sequencer to create:

- Step Phaser (boss PH3) (this wasn't in the HD but I though the "Random" Waveshape with a high peak might work)

- Harmonising arpeggiator (like the Eventide Pitchfactor, Korg AX3000G ESS triggered arp or Zoom 3000G sweep effect [all note triggered arpeggiators]).

So I tried using the EHX 8 step program with varying results through the expression jack to create some of these FX - problem is the sequence runs all the time and isn't trigger by playing a note.  The bigger problem is that  with the constant recallibation of the exp pedal by the Helix Auto-Callibration the paramater controls constantly shift.  I have to adjust the EHX unit's depth output voltage and adjust the values of the step sequencer everytime I plug it in and sometimes even in the same session it as the helix calibrates it.  This means the values I program and save on this sequencer need adjustment every time I plug it in.  It just doesn't stay static.  So the helix doesn't work with a 1/4" exp (CV controlled? I assume) lead sequencer properly.

So here is my question -  Is it possible to do the below with the Helix using it to trigger start and stop the midi step sequencer and sync tempo??

I was thinking I could possibly do the same thing with an external MIDI 16 or 32 step sequencer to create a sequence triggered when the helix senses a new plucked note which then triggers the sequencer to start.  When a new note is plucked, the Helix sends a trigger to the seq'er to reset to step 1 and start the sequence again.

I want to use this with:

Dual Pitch - to make a note triggered arpeggiated sequence (so it starts when I pluck the string and stops and resets to the first step on the seq when the sound stops) with the ext step sequencer controlling the pitch values.  So every time I pluck the string it restarts the seq?

Note triggered pattern tremolo while input sound is playing and reset to step 1 until the next input audio?

Note triggered wah where the seq values control the freq of the wah to make a seek-wah/obiwah or step phase type sound?

Many thanks

-J2shoes-

• 3 weeks later...

DI posted this comment over on TGP in response to a post regarding a suggested feature for snapshots. I think this little pearl is worth repeating. I was not aware of this behavior and can see it being quite useful. Some might prefer to configure the Helix so they can use it this way.

Comment from DI: "...pressing the current snapshot switch while in Snapshot Discard mode reloads the stored snapshot's settings."

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I'm planning to buy a Helix LT, but I have a question. Can I use the Helix LT with two tube amps with 4 cable method, and next to this the amp sims.

My plan is to use one send/return and a jack output for one amp, another send/return and a jack output for the other amp, and the two XLR outputs for the amp sims in stereo.

Is that possible with the Helix LT?

Thank you for the answer!

Norbert

• Line6Tony unpinned and locked this topic