Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix FAQ

Digital_Igloo

Can I use the Helix LT with two tube amps with 4 cable method, and next to this the amp sims. My plan is to use one send/return and a jack output for one amp, another send/return and a jack output for the other amp, and the two XLR outputs for the amp sims in stereo. Is that possible with the Helix LT?

Yes, but it's not called 4-Cable Method at the point, because you need seven cables. Fortunately, there's already a template included for this: 8 TEMPLATES > 02B 7-Cable Method.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't believe we've tested Helix with Android devices, but if and when class-compliant drivers shake out and become more commonplace, we'll likely take a good look at them.

Sorry, I know this is a really old post, but this is the top search result for Helix and Android...

@Digital_Igloo FWIW, I tested using the Helix with my Google Pixel XL phone (using the April 2017 Android 7.1 (Nougat) version) using the oem USB-C to USB-A adapter plug with the helix USB cable, and it didn't work. Phone audio still played back on the phone speaker, not the helix connected monitors. I was hoping to be able to playback music from my phone through the helix usb input (rather than having to connect and route a pair of returns for every preset i use). It would also be super awesome if I could use the Helix audio as input to my android device so when i record video it would be a direct helix signal!

As far as class compliant audio support, I've been able to use my Pixel, and before that since Nov 2015, my Nexus 6 in my car with a generic cheap Windows USB to spdif DAC to feed a miniDSP, so i think the technology exists. I also playback audio from my Android phone into my FiiO e17 DAC/AMP. I'd be happy to help with testing future Android DAC support for Helix. Thanks!

Hey quick question from a noob. My Line 6 helix is coming in the mail tomorrow. I will only be using it for bedroom playing. Do you guys think I wouldn't need an frfr type speaker to get the full amp/cab effects? I have an old Fender Champ 100 solid state and flying around that I'm not using. I know it's not ideal, but do you guys think that would work somewhat to get me those modelling sounds with the amp neutralized as much as possible? Again, I know this will not be perfect but do you think I would get a taste of the modelling for just bedroom playing? Thanks in advance.

Hey quick question from a noob. My Line 6 helix is coming in the mail tomorrow. I will only be using it for bedroom playing. Do you guys think I wouldn't need an frfr type speaker to get the full amp/cab effects? I have an old Fender Champ 100 solid state and flying around that I'm not using. I know it's not ideal, but do you guys think that would work somewhat to get me those modelling sounds with the amp neutralized as much as possible? Again, I know this will not be perfect but do you think I would get a taste of the modelling for just bedroom playing? Thanks in advance.

I looked up that amp; it does have an insert point / loop which would allow you to skip the preamp / effects section, and input right to the power amp.

So that part helps a lot.

I'm not sure what you could expect from the speakers; it's 2x12, so I'd expect it to be guitar-centric... but the fact that Fender included an AUX input for media players etc. suggests maybe it can reproduce a broader range... Otherwise the cab models will be fighting with the actual cabinet section of your Champ, and you'll likely wind up with mush.

But... it certainly can't hurt to try.

Otherwise you could consider running this scenario without the cab models on to see what you'd get.

No matter what though, you're getting yourself one heck of a bedroom sound system!

Congrats in advance; please update us on your progress.

I looked up that amp; it does have an insert point / loop which would allow you to skip the preamp / effects section, and input right to the power amp.

So that part helps a lot.

I'm not sure what you could expect from the speakers; it's 2x12, so I'd expect it to be guitar-centric... but the fact that Fender included an AUX input for media players etc. suggests maybe it can reproduce a broader range... Otherwise the cab models will be fighting with the actual cabinet section of your Champ, and you'll likely wind up with mush.

But... it certainly can't hurt to try.

Otherwise you could consider running this scenario without the cab models on to see what you'd get.

No matter what though, you're getting yourself one heck of a bedroom sound system!

Congrats in advance; please update us on your progress.

Wow you guys are really helpful! What a great community... Good point about the speakers in the amp. Hopefully after I get the hang of the Helix I will upgrade my speaker situation. It is tough to drop 2 grand all at once for bedroom playing. Although a heads up for anyone interested, I was able to get a "scratch and dent" full helix floor model for $1150 from ZZSounds. I just opened it and the thing is immaculate. Complete mint. Now I just hope it works haha...  Thanks again!

Wow you guys are really helpful! What a great community... Good point about the speakers in the amp. Hopefully after I get the hang of the Helix I will upgrade my speaker situation. It is tough to drop 2 grand all at once for bedroom playing. Although a heads up for anyone interested, I was able to get a "scratch and dent" full helix floor model for $1150 from ZZSounds. I just opened it and the thing is immaculate. Complete mint. Now I just hope it works haha...  Thanks again!

For a somewhat low cost FRFR solution, look at the Alto TS210 or TS212.  Not totally FRFR but a pretty good bang for your buck and pretty well regarded for what it is - Under $225.  I have tube amps as well and they can work if going through the FX return on the amp, but as others have said, you will need to turn off Cabs on the Helix as you are coloring the sound from the Amp, so you don't want to use both.

My pleasure.

Nice deal - please update the forum on how the unit is functioning.

Cheers

Guys I bit the bullet and got the Mission Engineering Gemini 2. I'm pretty pumped as I played around with it some the last few days and was able to get some nice tones out of my solid state amp but this should bring it to another level I hope. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

For the next few days the Helix is just going to be an effects pedal for my Silver Jubilee.

Guys I bit the bullet and got the Mission Engineering Gemini 2. I'm pretty pumped as I played around with it some the last few days and was able to get some nice tones out of my solid state amp but this should bring it to another level I hope. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

For the next few days the Helix is just going to be an effects pedal for my Silver Jubilee.

Well, that certainly will take care of it in style. I hear great things about the Mission solutions.

One thing is for certain; you don't kid around with your 'bedroom rig' gear.

Congrats on that.

I look forward to hearing your report back on your results from the G2.

• 1 month later...

1. Is there an updated manual?

I watched a Snapshot video from L6, and Will referred to p.50 in the manual.  My manual stops at p.48.

2. The USB that comes with the Helix is described as containing the manual and "other goodies".  Mine ONLY had the manual in several languages.  Is something missing?

1. Is there an updated manual?

I watched a Snapshot video from L6, and Will referred to p.50 in the manual.  My manual stops at p.48.

2. The USB that comes with the Helix is described as containing the manual and "other goodies".  Mine ONLY had the manual in several languages.  Is something missing?

http://line6.com/support/manuals/helix

• Upvote 1

Thanks.  What about my second question?  What "other goodies" are supposed to be on the provided USB?

Never mind.  In the revised manual that clause was removed from the "what's in the box" section.

The USB Stick is a great place to store the latest Helix User Manual PDF, Cheat Sheet, and any other PDFs, and information resources that you use with your Helix, such as IRs, and more....

Hey there, quick question:

I'm planning on replacing my current rig with a Helix, but I'm also going to be moving from the US to the U.K. In the next couple of months here. Would I need to run the Helix with a voltage converter to use it in the U.K. Safely, or would just a U.K. power cable do the trick?

Hey there, quick question:

I'm planning on replacing my current rig with a Helix, but I'm also going to be moving from the US to the U.K. In the next couple of months here. Would I need to run the Helix with a voltage converter to use it in the U.K. Safely, or would just a U.K. power cable do the trick?

Just a UK power cable. The Helix has a "universal" power input (110-220VAC, 50-60Hz)

Hi all. Terribly sorry if this has been dealt with before, but my searches have only turned up a lot of wrangling over what should be a pretty straightforward question.

At what point does A/D conversion occur in the Line 6 Helix Floor?

I'm considering the Helix, but have no interest in amp/cab modeling. I'd prefer to integrate it into my existing setup to replace both my switching system and my delay/verb/modulation pedals. One of the most attractive features of the Helix is its 4 external loops, which I would use for drive pedals or other effects whose unique characteristics I'd like to preserve (for example, EHX micro-synth, Mel9).

Does A/D conversion occur at input? If I go gtr -> Helix input -> external loop 1 (overdrive) -> out to amp, how many stages of AD/DA conversion have I incurred, if any? Or does A/D conversion only take place when DSP blocks are applied?

Not interested in discussions about true bypass; not interested in debates about whether the AD/DA conversion is audible or creates significant latency. I am capable of deciding that for myself. I would just like to know when and under what circumstances conversion comes into play.

Thanks in advance, and again, sorry if I'm retreading old ground, but as yet I've been unable to find the hard answer which doubtless exists.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For Bedroom playing, you might look at the Laney IRT-X.  That's what I have hooked up when my Helix is under my desk.  I think I got mine on sale for $350.

• Upvote 1

For Bedroom playing, you might look at the Laney IRT-X.  That's what I have hooked up when my Helix is under my desk.  I think I got mine on sale for $350.

I didn't know anything about these. This looks like a FANTASTIC option for anyone wanting to use an amp without an effects loop. You go out from the speaker out of your amp, to the Laney, they from the Laney to your amps speaker. Wow!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright, I have to comment. DI, you've been terrific on all the forums, answering countless questions, putting up with (some) negative comments, being a great source of information, etc. Well above what I would normally expect for a product not in G.R. Kudos to you, we all appreciate it.

But there's no reason for you to imply Sweetwater isn't being accurate or telling the truth. I've dealt with my rep for years and he has always been dead on with new product introduction information. In early July he told me LINE 6 is estimating 4 to 5 weeks out. Today he emailed me "LINE 6 has given us an update, and unfortunately it was to let us know that it will be another five or six weeks before we see our first shipment of the Helix boards."

So yeah, it's still within your original window of end of summer, fine. But it was pushed out from the initial word from Line 6 to Sweetwater, and they are getting their updates from Line 6. I understand all about the squishyness of new product ship dates, but let's let your retailers do their part of the job to inform us (pre) customers. I presume that's why you keep them in the loop.

• 1 month later...

Hello there,

I'm considering buying a Line 6 Helix and I have a few questions :

- I plan to plug both electric guitar and bass to the Helix (I heard it's possible ?), can I also add a mic (in the "mic in") and apply it a reverb or something, for vocals ?

The idea is to get everything out to the FOH, using stereo XLR.

- Is it possible to have each signal going to separate outputs ? If no, does it mean that the Helix can mix all the sources (guitar/bass/vocals) within the menus, and send the whole mix to a single output ?

Thanks in advance, cheers !

Hello there,

I'm considering buying a Line 6 Helix and I have a few questions :

- I plan to plug both electric guitar and bass to the Helix (I heard it's possible ?), can I also add a mic (in the "mic in") and apply it a reverb or something, for vocals ?

The idea is to get everything out to the FOH, using stereo XLR.

- Is it possible to have each signal going to separate outputs ? If no, does it mean that the Helix can mix all the sources (guitar/bass/vocals) within the menus, and send the whole mix to a single output ?

Thanks in advance, cheers !

You can send signals to separate outputs, or all signals to same outputs. Keep in mind that the Helix LT does not have the extra inputs (Aux, Mic), so you will have to use Helix Floor or Rack. 

Thanks for your reply !

Yes, I'm going to buy the big Helix (not the LT) anyway. Would it be also possible to add a 4th source (a keyboard), or are there only 3 imputs (main in, aux in, mic in) ?

You can also use the 4 returns as inputs, but you only have 4 paths total that can be set to individual outputs. You could use:

Guitar >main in> XLR L out

Keys> aux in > XLR R out

vocal> mic in > 1/4" L out

bass> return 1> 1/4" R out

If you do use 4 paths like this, just be aware that there is no room to create parallel paths on any of them. Parallel paths use up one of the 4 available paths.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your reply !

Yes, I'm going to buy the big Helix (not the LT) anyway. Would it be also possible to add a 4th source (a keyboard), or are there only 3 imputs (main in, aux in, mic in) ?

There are 7 analog inputs - the three you listed, plus the 4 returns. There's also two digital inputs (only one can be used at a time) - the VDI and S/PDIF.

I'll need two outputs (stereo pan) for the guitar. Which leaves me with two more outputs.

If I understand correctly, it is not possible to apply more that four different paths of effects, which means that imputs going towards the same output will have to share the same set of effects ?

Anyway, wonderful machine it seems.

I'll need two outputs (stereo pan) for the guitar. Which leaves me with two more outputs.

If I understand correctly, it is not possible to apply more that four different paths of effects, which means that imputs going towards the same output will have to share the same set of effects ?

Yes. However, you may configure a Preset to use Footswitches to control the individual Bypass/Enable status of multiple Blocks (up to eight) in the signal path common to multiple inputs. You may also use the Snapshots feature to define up to Eight Snapshots per Preset. Each Snapshot allows you to configure up to 64 controllable Parameters -- including not only the Bypass/Enable states of desired Blocks in the common signal path (as well as the other signal paths), but also the values of any individual parameters of Blocks you wish to be altered in each Snapshot. The Snapshots do not support the presence or removal of a Block from the signal paths nor their positioning sequence. Nonetheless, there is a lot of flexibility!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey y'all,

I'd like to know if and how the Helix could be set up to A/B to two separate physical external amplifiers.  I have a crystal clean Fender Twin I'd like to use for clean sounds, and a higher gain amp for dirty.  I know you can use two different amp models in patches, but I'd like to A/B my Fender Twin and my dirty amps by stomping between patches.  It seems this should be fairly easy, but I've yet to see anyone do this.  I've searched all over the internet about this, and I have not found the solution.

Hey y'all,

I'd like to know if and how the Helix could be set up to A/B to two separate physical external amplifiers.  I have a crystal clean Fender Twin I'd like to use for clean sounds, and a higher gain amp for dirty.  I know you can use two different amp models in patches, but I'd like to A/B my Fender Twin and my dirty amps by stomping between patches.  It seems this should be fairly easy, but I've yet to see anyone do this.  I've searched all over the internet about this, and I have not found the solution.

Does your high gain amp have an effects loop? The Twin does not, so you can set up one of the 4 signal paths within Helix to send 1/4" out to the front of the Twin. 

If you other amp has a loop, you can use 4CM with that on a different signal path in Helix. Then you can play one amp at a time or blend between the two.  

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone tell me how I can stop getting Helix Forum posts to my email.  When I clik unsubscribe, it just takes me to the forum.  I've looked everywhere and can't find a place to stop it.  I'm getting literally every single Helix forum post everyday.

Can someone tell me how I can stop getting Helix Forum posts to my email.  When I clik unsubscribe, it just takes me to the forum.  I've looked everywhere and can't find a place to stop it.  I'm getting literally every single Helix forum post everyday.

Could be your notification settings. Click on your name when you are logged into the forum in the upper right hand corner and go to 'My Settings' --> 'Notification Options'.

If not your notification settings, check you subscription or follow thread settings for each of the treads that you may be following. This may effectively be the same as the notification settings. Hope you get it sorted out. 

If not your notification settings, check you subscription or follow thread settings for each of the treads that you may be following. This may effectively be the same as the notification settings. Hope you get it sorted out.

JLondon said he's getting "every single Helix forum post". Seems unlikely he would have followed every topic. I guess it could be something other than the notification settings but that seems like the first thing to check. Anyone else have any suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...

There are more than four outputs on the Helix (floor) so using two for stereo guitar doesn't leave you with only two more.

In addition to the XLR left and XLR right there are six 1/4" outputs - 1/4" left, 1/4" right, Send 1, Send 2, Send 3, Send 4.

So you could send your stereo guitar out the main 1/4" left/right (or use the XLRs) for your first path (stereo) and then send the other 3 paths to any of the sends.

Of course if you have the Helix LT there are only two sends so no Send 3 or 4.

• Line6Tony unpinned and locked this topic