Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix FAQ

Digital_Igloo

there's a whole lot of focusrite interfaces, if you happen to have one with a SPDIF in, just use Helix that way using your current interface?

Thanks!!! That's what I need to do. I don't know why I didn't think of that (maybe because it's not in front of me.

Right now I' m using four Heil mics for the two open back 2x12 cabs and the two 4x12 closed back cabs run by my Vetta II head. The wet part of the wet/dry setup is going into a mixer connected by SPDIF. I'll use that. Thanks again!

BTW...the reason I thought it was a Helix question, and not a Cubase question, is that Helix is an interface as well, so I thought you guys might know (and Steinberg might not kniw about Helix and it's abilities).

Wouldn't using an extra interface nullify the advantages of Helix's 8in/8out USB?

I see what you're saying, but in my case the 8 in / 8 out is not needed.

In my studio I have eight channels of drums going into my Focusrite Octopre, connected through SMUX ADAT (to record at 96k) to the Liquid 56, which handles guitars, bass vocals etc., using outboard mic pres (Vintech, Daking, UA, Api, etc.)...so I just want to get my Helix recorded the best way possible, without disturbing what I already have.

I pre-ordered and have great hopes that this might replace my huge Vetta rig in some, if not all, applications

I want to try and record directly into Cubase Pro 8 with Helix. Do I have to use Helix as my sole interface, or can it live alongside my main Focusrite firewire interface ( I don't want to have to have to change the interface in Cubase or change where the speakers are connected, just to lay down a guitar track)

If you're on a Mac, you can build an aggregate audio device with all of your audio interfaces. That's what I'm currently doing with an Apogee Symphony I/O (16 ins, 16 outs), Helix (8 ins, 8 outs), and Logic.

Thanks DI. That would be optimal, but I'm on a PC. It's a powerful PC, but being it's not a Mac, I guess I'm stuck. Too bad. I've been trying to find a way to record 24-32 tracks, at 96k, simultaneously. Thanks for the info!

Thanks DI. That would be optimal, but I'm on a PC. It's a powerful PC, but being it's not a Mac, I guess I'm stuck. Too bad. I've been trying to find a way to record 24-32 tracks, at 96k, simultaneously. Thanks for the info!

Take a look at SAWSTUDIO

Take a look at SAWSTUDIO

Thanks, but my problem is the interfaces. They both have eight ins. Using SMUX ADAT only allows you to add eight channels to the existing eight on the main unit when recording at 96k.

Anyway...I can't wait to get my Helix!

Thanks, but my problem is the interfaces. They both have eight ins. Using SMUX ADAT only allows you to add eight channels to the existing eight on the main unit when recording at 96k.

it will solve that problem, you can use as many interfaces as you can hook up and record up to 80 tracks at a time... download the trial software and see, you can assign any input on any interface and even your internal sound card at the same time. I first saw it at a studio in Nashville where we recorded

Another question: Coming from a synthesizer background I see a lot of value of having modulation in the forms of LFO/Envelopes/Oscilators/Noise Signals/ect. I know these sort of things often scare guitarists despite being building blocks in a lot of their favorite effects. Is there any plans to have modulators like that, which can be routed to any parameter, which would effectively allow people to make their own effects?

For example, if I would like a vibrato that is less cyclical and more random. On a synth, I'd set a random LFO with some slew, and route it toward pitch, and it would drift like a tape that was left out in the sun too long. You could do the same routing an LFO to delay time, causing the pitch to drift due to the doppler effect.

Please please please add this to IdeaScale so I can vote it up.  :wub:

+1

that would be super awesome to have.

By the way, is there any way to delete ones Ideascale submission? I confused the vocoder with another effect xD yup, I'm really dumb. cheers.

it will solve that problem, you can use as many interfaces as you can hook up and record up to 80 tracks at a time... download the trial software and see, you can assign any input on any interface and even your internal sound card at the same time. I first saw it at a studio in Nashville where we recorded

Thanks, I'll check it out.

PLAIN AND SIMPLE QUESTION LINE 6....

IS THERE AN AUDIBLE DELAY WHEN SWITCHING "PRESETS" ON THE HELIX?????

PLEASE RESPOND WITH A SIMPLE ANSWER YES or NO....

EXAMPLE: I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF A COOL PRESET PLAYING A SONG AND WANT TO SWITCH...

TO A "DIFFERENT" PRESET OR BANK UP/DOWN TO ONE,SAY A LEAD CHANNEL FULL OF DIFFERENT EFFECTS/AMP SOUND

IS THERE AN AUDIBLE DELAY LIKE WITH EVERY OTHER PEICE OF LINE 6 GEAR I'VE OWNED AND SOLD

VETTA HEAD

PODS

HD500

SPIDER MKII HEAD

ALL OF THEM HAVE THAT AUDIBLE DELAY WHICH RENDERS IT USLESS FOR LIVE STAGE PERFORMANCES.

DOES, THE HELIX IN IT'S SIMPLEST FORM OF AN ANSWER  FROM OYU LINE 6 PLEASE...

DOEA THE HELIX HAVE AN AUDIBLE DELAY WHEN SWITHCING PRESETS OR BANKING UP/DOWN?????

REGARD ,THANKS!

this is a question they can't answer definitively until the firmware is finalized\optimized.

EXAMPLE: I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF A COOL PRESET PLAYING A SONG AND WANT TO SWITCH...

TO A "DIFFERENT" PRESET OR BANK UP/DOWN TO ONE,SAY A LEAD CHANNEL FULL OF DIFFERENT EFFECTS/AMP SOUND

IS THERE AN AUDIBLE DELAY LIKE WITH EVERY OTHER PEICE OF LINE 6 GEAR I'VE OWNED AND SOLD

VETTA HEAD

PODS

HD500

SPIDER MKII HEAD

ALL OF THEM HAVE THAT AUDIBLE DELAY WHICH RENDERS IT USLESS FOR LIVE STAGE PERFORMANCES.

DOEA THE HELIX HAVE AN AUDIBLE DELAY WHEN SWITHCING PRESETS OR BANKING UP/DOWN?????

REGARD ,THANKS!

VETTA HEAD

PODS

HD500

SPIDER MKII HEAD

REGARD ,THANKS!

I'm not a Line 6 rep, but I'll eat my shorts if the answer isn't "Yes - there will be an audible delay." It's just the nature of the beast.

This is the reason why the concept of 'scenes' is so powerful. The idea is that you save a 'snapshot' or 'scene' of the on/off state of various effects in a preset, then with a single button press you can switch to that scene. So, you can use the same preset for an entire song and bring in/out various effects, switch amp blocks, etc. with the push of a single button - just like changing patches, but without the switching delay. It can also really help with balancing levels and tone if you're not switching into entirely different presets in a song.

Even more powerful is the idea of "scene controllers" - the abilty to set different values to an effect parameter with each scene, e.g. different settings for length and/or mix for a reverb block in your solo scene vs your rythm scene. Part of the power of scenes lies in the fact that you can reduce the number of redundant effects blocks (especially handy for CPU-hungry effects like high quality reverbs). The other advantage is TOTALLY SEAMLESS SWITCHING.

I put it on IdeaScale.

There are currently three show-stoppers for me getting a Helix: no MIDI clock sync, no scenes, no global blocks. The Helix looks totally amazing, but without scenes and global blocks it will never be a pro-level piece of gear - if it stays in the paradigm of yet another piece of gear with a bunch of different patches with nothing tying them together (global blocks and scenes), then it'll remain in the realm a really nice, fancy toy to play in your bedroom. Sorry, but serious, gigging musicians quite often want a consistent sound across patches. It's like using the same (gasp!), consistent, real/physical amp on stage from song to song. I'll never go back to having a bunch of patches for each song. I really hope Line 6 gets this.

I'm not a Line 6 rep, but I'll eat my shorts if the answer isn't "Yes - there will be an audible delay." It's just the nature of the beast.

This is the reason why the concept of 'scenes' is so powerful. The idea is that you save a 'snapshot' or 'scene' of the on/off state of various effects in a preset, then with a single button press you can switch to that scene. So, you can use the same preset for an entire song and bring in/out various effects, switch amp blocks, etc. with the push of a single button - just like changing patches, but without the switching delay. It can also really help with balancing levels and tone if you're not switching into entirely different presets in a song.

Even more powerful is the idea of "scene controllers" - the abilty to set different values to an effect parameter with each scene, e.g. different settings for length and/or mix for a reverb block in your solo scene vs your rythm scene. Part of the power of scenes lies in the fact that you can reduce the number of redundant effects blocks (especially handy for CPU-hungry effects like high quality reverbs). The other advantage is TOTALLY SEAMLESS SWITCHING.

I put it on IdeaScale.

There are currently three show-stoppers for me getting a Helix: no MIDI clock sync, no scenes, no global blocks. The Helix looks totally amazing, but without scenes and global blocks it will never be a pro-level piece of gear - if it stays in the paradigm of yet another piece of gear with a bunch of different patches with nothing tying them together (global blocks and scenes), then it'll remain in the realm a really nice, fancy toy to play in your bedroom. Sorry, but serious, gigging musicians quite often want a consistent sound across patches. It's like using the same (gasp!), consistent, real/physical amp on stage from song to song. I'll never go back to having a bunch of patches for each song. I really hope Line 6 gets this.

I have to regretfully agree ....

There is gear (I use live now) out there that's in the price range of this Helix, It sounds amazing with no blank audible switching delay.

And so does the helix but you're right. I hope they fix the delay issue, when I tested it, it was very easy to navigate. unlike my current unit.

the Helix is smaller  easy to fly with and just set up for a performer's needs, quick editing and great amp tones, WOW, impressive tone!

I personally don't use midi other than my BFC1010 and Bias FX to practice with ...but to someone that does, yeah that's a showstopper for sure.

this is a question they can't answer definitively until the firmware is finalized\optimized.

REALLY, So...No, yeah that's a NO...

OR As of now, in testing it's there,that blank audible delay when switching presets like every other amp/pod

SO, we won't know until it's actually released.

tones are great features are great, I played one at you know where , had audible delay then...

So much new stuff and gadgets but IMO not worth anything if it still has that very audible delay when switching presets.

,very good idea, intuitve and usefull for the STUDIO ONLY. I love the new routing options! Amazing! tone's AMAZING!

I need a live rig ,easy to fly all in one unit, you guys are close.

IMO if,IF line 6 figures out that line 6 user age old question any audible delay when switching presets? you'll sell them like hot cakes.

WE want flawless real time switching like with pedals (not getting into your true bypass debate) like with amps, A/B/C and foot pedals.

It's how it should be, LIVE!  I myself have A line 6 MK II combo I practice with at home, but looking to sell it for same reason, switching delay.

I know from speaking with other line 6 users and tolerating the blank audible delay , we love the tones effects, the routing and simplicity and we

truly do TOLERATE that one little but very important and extreamly ignored (by line 6 developers) thorn in every live line 6 amp/pod users side, that

blank Audible delay when switching presets. FIX that one thing FIRST! I'm telling you $1,500 will not be an object for most of the current line 6 users.

Including myself. IF it's released with this issue fixed, I'll buy two, every live performer worth their salt has a back up.

If that audible delay when switching presets is not fixed when it's finally released, it's just not worth the price, to me.

Same ol' pony, just a few new tricks? I wait with baited breath 

I'm not a Line6 rep... what i'm telling you is that even if they answered you now... today... in this thread here... the answer could change by the time it gets released.

and what's the problem with actually knowing once it is released? you can't have it til then anyway....

REALLY, So...No, yeah that's a NO...

OR As of now, in testing it's there,that blank audible delay when switching presets like every other amp/pod

SO, we won't know until it's actually released.

tones are great features are great, I played one at you know where , had audible delay then...

So much new stuff and gadgets but IMO not worth anything if it still has that very audible delay when switching presets.

,very good idea, intuitve and usefull for the STUDIO ONLY. I love the new routing options! Amazing! tone's AMAZING!

I need a live rig ,easy to fly all in one unit, you guys are close.

IMO if,IF line 6 figures out that line 6 user age old question any audible delay when switching presets? you'll sell them like hot cakes.

WE want flawless real time switching like with pedals (not getting into your true bypass debate) like with amps, A/B/C and foot pedals.

It's how it should be, LIVE!  I myself have A line 6 MK II combo I practice with at home, but looking to sell it for same reason, switching delay.

I know from speaking with other line 6 users and tolerating the blank audible delay , we love the tones effects, the routing and simplicity and we

truly do TOLERATE that one little but very important and extreamly ignored (by line 6 developers) thorn in every live line 6 amp/pod users side, that

blank Audible delay when switching presets. FIX that one thing FIRST! I'm telling you $1,500 will not be an object for most of the current line 6 users.

Including myself. IF it's released with this issue fixed, I'll buy two, every live performer worth their salt has a back up.

If that audible delay when switching presets is not fixed when it's finally released, it's just not worth the price, to me.

Same ol' pony, just a few new tricks? I wait with baited breath 

I'm not a Line6 rep... what i'm telling you is that even if they answered you now... today... in this thread here... the answer could change by the time it gets released.

and what's the problem with actually knowing once it is released? you can't have it til then anyway....

The problem? Well... If I knew then I could PRE-ORDER a couple...Or not...

But you're right they don't know, I don't know, lol no one does...yet.

So, I'll wait till I can try a "RELAESED" version out, see if it's any different than the one I tried.

Until then, I'll just keep checking my bagage.

No rush.... :rolleyes:

Not the KPA beast. You'd be needing loads of mango chutney if the question had referred to it as opposed to the Helix.

I like your comments on the other features you'd have liked to have seen, by the way, jdosher.

Not the KPA beast. You'd be needing loads of mango chutney if the question had referred to it as opposed to the Helix.

I like your comments on the other features you'd have liked to have seen, by the way, jdosher.

:-) Yeah, I'd had a longer description of why I suspect it won't be gapless in the Helix, pretty much based on what Line 6 has said, but decided to keep it short.

Thanks Monkey_Man.

Yeah, I was really excited about the Helix - and I'm still holding out some hope, as testiment by the fact that I'm still here on the forum, raising issues (some would say griping) about some of the features for which the Helix seems to be missing the mark. I think that for those of us coming from the Fractal Audio and KPA world, the Helix looks interesting, but a couple steps down in terms of some of those deeper functions. I'm open to different approaches and I don't expect the Helix to exactly copy what another piece of gear is doing, but so far I'm seeing some missing features that are pretty key and I don't see any indication of an alternative approach. That's the biggy to me - I need something like global blocks (especially amps) and something like scenes; what have you got for me? Nothing, it would seem. (I thought scenes might have a work-around with assigning multiple blocks to a single switch, but the more I understand how that works the more I realize it's not the solution.)

So for me personally, I look at the Helix and I think "Wow, that is an amazing, elegent user interface. That sure beats the Axe-Fx...so if I switch from the Axe-Fx to a Helix is it going to cover the key functions I need?" And sadly, it's looking like the answer is "no".

Then again, Line 6 might not care that much about trying to draw the Axe-Fx and KPA users. People keep comparing the Helix to the upper end units, but I don't think that's actually what they were shooting for. Line 6 is smart to have target the upper-middle product range. There's really no competition there. The Helix is a huge step up from a POD, and thousands of dollars less than an Axe-Fx with an MFC101 foot controller. Seems like a no-brainer, and no real loss to Line 6 if people like me aren't convinced to jump ship and get a Helix. I'll still hold out hope for what new firmware updated will bring. In fact, I'm curious to see how Line 6 deals with that entire process. Charge me for firmware updates? No thanks.

They've never charged for firmware updates, just model packs... Not trying to be overly-picky, but they're not the same thing.

Ah, okay. That's not being overly-picky, just clarifying. Thanks for the info.

I'm on the fence with that - new amp and effects models are freely included with firmware updates in the Axe-Fx. But it's a different cost model, so I can't say I think the Line 6 model doesn't make sense. Not being familiar with the PODs I wasn't aware that firmware and model packs were handled that way.

:-) Yeah, I'd had a longer description of why I suspect it won't be gapless in the Helix, pretty much based on what Line 6 has said, but decided to keep it short.

Thanks Monkey_Man.

Yeah, I was really excited about the Helix - and I'm still holding out some hope, as testiment by the fact that I'm still here on the forum, raising issues (some would say griping) about some of the features for which the Helix seems to be missing the mark. I think that for those of us coming from the Fractal Audio and KPA world, the Helix looks interesting, but a couple steps down in terms of some of those deeper functions. I'm open to different approaches and I don't expect the Helix to exactly copy what another piece of gear is doing, but so far I'm seeing some missing features that are pretty key and I don't see any indication of an alternative approach. That's the biggy to me - I need something like global blocks (especially amps) and something like scenes; what have you got for me? Nothing, it would seem. (I thought scenes might have a work-around with assigning multiple blocks to a single switch, but the more I understand how that works the more I realize it's not the solution.)

So for me personally, I look at the Helix and I think "Wow, that is an amazing, elegent user interface. That sure beats the Axe-Fx...so if I switch from the Axe-Fx to a Helix is it going to cover the key functions I need?" And sadly, it's looking like the answer is "no".

Then again, Line 6 might not care that much about trying to draw the Axe-Fx and KPA users. People keep comparing the Helix to the upper end units, but I don't think that's actually what they were shooting for. Line 6 is smart to have target the upper-middle product range. There's really no competition there. The Helix is a huge step up from a POD, and thousands of dollars less than an Axe-Fx with an MFC101 foot controller. Seems like a no-brainer, and no real loss to Line 6 if people like me aren't convinced to jump ship and get a Helix. I'll still hold out hope for what new firmware updated will bring. In fact, I'm curious to see how Line 6 deals with that entire process. Charge me for firmware updates? No thanks.

I agree with everything you've so thoughtfully stated, jdosher.

Substitute the Axe-FX with a KPA in my case and the same rings true throughout.

It's an important point, IMHO, that you made regarding the target market; it's not really aimed at us, but since I jumped on the L6 bandwagon at PODv1 and bought every one 'till the HD500, I suspect I'll always, at the very least, maintain an interest as to what the boffins at HQ are up to. The company has played a huge part in the history of amp modelling, after all, and I'll continue to be a fan of the options the Variax provides (I have two and have owned half a dozen).

I'll keep watchin', along with you, bro'...

• Upvote 1

another one of those questions that can't be definitively answered until the firmware is complete.

What is the boot up time of the Helix?  I've seen keyboards that take 60 seconds to boot up.  For what I do, I need to be able to hit the switch and play within a few seconds.

What is the boot up time of the Helix?  I've seen keyboards that take 60 seconds to boot up.  For what I do, I need to be able to hit the switch and play within a few seconds.

may I ask why?  I cant imagine what sort of time pressures would cause this!  My 500x boots faster than the Line6 speakers...or the XR18 mixer I gig with...at home I turn the studio on when I get home from work and switch it back off at bedtime.

another one of those questions that can't be definitively answered until the firmware is complete.

I think they can give a ballpark time.  It's not going to go from 2 to 20 seconds or vice versa.

may I ask why?  I cant imagine what sort of time pressures would cause this!  My 500x boots faster than the Line6 speakers...or the XR18 mixer I gig with...at home I turn the studio on when I get home from work and switch it back off at bedtime.

Sure.  I play at NFL games and the timing is usually down to a few seconds.  A 20 second boot time would probably mean dead air at the stadium.

it quite literally could go from 20 seconds to 2... or from 2 to 20...

you have to balance optimizing some things with the cost or benefit of making changes....

most people would be bothered more by a gap in preset switching than they would an extra 5 seconds of boot time...

i understand you're a special case...  and i'm sure they will try to do their best...

but there are always trade off's...

I think they can give a ballpark time.  It's not going to go from 2 to 20 seconds or vice versa.

Sure.  I play at NFL games and the timing is usually down to a few seconds.  A 20 second boot time would probably mean dead air at the stadium.

Agreed.  But without knowing that it's going to boot in a reasonable amount of time, I really can't preorder.  If I don't preorder, it's probably going to be awhile before I find one in the stores.  So, I'm in a predicament.  I know I'm a little odd, heh.

Agreed.  But without knowing that it's going to boot in a reasonable amount of time, I really can't preorder.  If I don't preorder, it's probably going to be awhile before I find one in the stores.  So, I'm in a predicament.  I know I'm a little odd, heh.

I have no idea if this suggestion is reasonable or helpful, but I suspect you could pre-order a unit and when it arrives, if it doesn't meet your requrirements, return it. I don't see that Amazon Prime has them yet, or if that's even an option for you, but I bet that any larger vender like Sam Ash, zZounds, or Sweetwater would accommodate free return shipping if you discussed it with them before pre-ordering.

A general observation on the nature of posts in this topic - ok it's directed at the people who are most likely to be standing next to the microwave waiting a whole 30 seconds for their meal to reheat and tapping their feet with impatience....

Take a few deep breaths and relax - I'm not going to pre-order this damned Helix beastie, just because I don't need it. I never will need it. I may in time want it, and I'm sure I'll be happy with it, (even taking into consideration limitations - what I WANT it to do, compared to what it CAN do). If you need it to be on in 5 seconds, don't turn it off. If you need to anticipate the 2ms gap in between patches then just get on with it - that's what I do, and I don't lollipop about it. These products from Line 6 aren't magic wand driven. It's all zeros and ones, and current high speed processor driven with limitations. Could your trusty old Les Paul/Stratocaster into a couple of effect pedals, and a Marshall amp do all that the current setup you have can do? Everywhere you look there are limitations. (Insert Frozen song here: Let it Go, Let it Go, ....ad infinitum).

If and when I buy one, to replace one of my HD500s, it will be because I  know it will deliver all the flexibility I will need to create a diverse range of (Variax) guitar/tuning/amp/effect combinations in order to play whatever the hell I want to play, WITHOUT having to take all the gear I ever bought (AND sold, so that's impossible anyway) - you know what I'm saying....

Line 6 don't care if you (yes I'm pointing at you foot tappers), don't pre-order their latest, (allegedly) greatest, hyped to within an inch of it's yet to be born life product. They KNOW their product will have limitations, just as of right now, they're still figuring out just how much.

Currently my only wish is that Line 6 hadn't started all this pre-release game of sneaking out some information to entice the snarling, slathering beasts.

Currently my only wish is that Line 6 hadn't started all this pre-release game of sneaking out some information to entice the snarling, slathering beasts.

In general I agree with you. However, if they hadn't said anything and just sprung it on the world, I can only imagine the hordes of outraged customers that just bought a HD500X / Firehawk / Axe FX / Kemper and wanna blow up Line 6 for keeping it a secret...

and despite the few posters that swear they won't switch without global blocks or scenes, I bet there are a boatload of Axe and KPA users ready to switch for the overwhelming feature set in a single floor package...

Imagine the insane expectations had we not disseminated information:

"OMG! Did you see this thing? I heard from a guy who heard from a guy that it's got every Kemper feature, every Roland GT-100 feature, every Digitech GSP-1101 feature, every AxeFX II XL+ and AX-8 feature, every Eventide H8000 feature, is powered by eight new quantum DSP chips, has zero latency, runs a special version of ProTools, AND it's only $499!"

It's really important to curb enthusiasm where appropriate, lest the natives procure our collective heads upon release.

• Upvote 1

I told the development team guy that it's got to have every Kemper feature, every Roland GT-100 feature, every Digitech GSP-1101 feature, every AxeFX II XL+ and AX-8 feature, every Eventide H8000 feature, is powered by eight new quantum DSP chips, has zero latency, runs a special version of ProTools, and has to retail at $499!"

fixed :-)

In general I agree with you. However, if they hadn't said anything and just sprung it on the world, I can only imagine the hordes of outraged customers that just bought a HD500X / Firehawk / Axe FX / Kemper and wanna blow up Line 6 for keeping it a secret...

and despite the few posters that swear they won't switch without global blocks or scenes, I bet there are a boatload of Axe and KPA users ready to switch for the overwhelming feature set in a single floor package...

Some HD500X purchasers maybe. Firehawk is obviously aimed at a different market, so no, I disagree there.

Other brands - whatever. That's called competition -people swap sides sometimes - so what?

I don't believe a marketing hype like this usually occurs so far out from release. And that's what this is - marketing.

Imagine the insane expectations had we not disseminated information:

"OMG! Did you see this thing? I heard from a guy who heard from a guy that it's got every Kemper feature, every Roland GT-100 feature, every Digitech GSP-1101 feature, every AxeFX II XL+ and AX-8 feature, every Eventide H8000 feature, is powered by eight new quantum DSP chips, has zero latency, runs a special version of ProTools, AND it's only $499!"

It's really important to curb enthusiasm where appropriate, lest the natives procure our collective heads upon release.

I may have worded that a little obliquely.

I see a huge difference between what you're doing DI (disseminating information, which I should add you're doing a superb job of under the circumstances), and "sneaking out information" - ie marketing. Yep ok, I'll out myself here, and admit it's a pet hate. My mind wanders to a particular Bill Hicks skit here, but I'll try and remain on track.

Your team sure as hell opened a can of worms when they decided to go public on this a couple of months ago - that's all I can say. :rolleyes:

I see a huge difference between what you're doing DI (disseminating information, which I should add you're doing a superb job of under the circumstances), and "sneaking out information" - ie marketing. Yep ok, I'll out myself here, and admit it's a pet hate. My mind wanders to a particular Bill Hicks skit here, but I'll try and remain on track.

Your team sure as hell opened a can of worms when they decided to go public on this a couple of months ago - that's all I can say. :rolleyes:

Don't tell the team downstairs, but I love me some Bill Hicks. R.I.P.

We kinda had to. Helix was going to be shown at GearFest, and there was no backing out. We would've loved to have announced and shipped Helix on the same day, but that almost never happens. How many boxes in this industry are announced 9-18 months before finally showing up in stores (to crickets, because no one cares anymore by then)? A lot.

I don't think any of us (product management, engineering, marketing, executive staff, Yamaha) expected a can of worms so big. It's been pretty overwhelming, to be honest. In a good way.

• Upvote 1

To put this thread back on the boring intended path, I have a few basic questions about the helix I didn't notice were answered yet. Apologies if I missed them somehow.

1. Does the expression pedal have an on/off switch? (i.e. To turn a wha effect on and off)

2. Are external expression pedals with on/off switches supported, to provide a similar function to question 1?

3. Is there a function to defeat the cab/mic simulators to run my live power amp stereo guitar cabs setup?

4. Does this unit have enough resource headroom to run a reasonable dual amp patch? ( a gate, an overdrive, eq, modulator and a reverb. I don't need twelve of anything to prove how bad lollipop it is )

I dumped a hd500 and went back to my x3 live due to this last issue. I'm hopeful I can upgrade to something with more updated amp models that will work for me without going 2k plus in the hole. I'm only a hobbyist musician, albeit a serious one.

And if I get the attention of DI or other L6 staff, can I ask why you got away from modeling the Engl Powerball? It sounds a whole mess better than the FB in my humble opinion.

My unofficial, just remembering from all the other threads answers:

1. Yes - Toe switch

2. Maybe - MIDI ones certainly but others I don't know

3. Yes - Have Amp and Cab as separate blocks - it is possible to route pre Cab out through one set of outputs to Power Amp and Cabs and post Cab Model through different outputs to FoH.

4, 2.5x the grunt of an HD500X which could do that, but Helix models are more expensive. 4 Full Amp models simultaneously might be possible but not a lot else.

[good luck with the Powerball question]

To put this thread back on the boring intended path, I have a few basic questions about the helix I didn't notice were answered yet. Apologies if I missed them somehow.

1. Does the expression pedal have an on/off switch? (i.e. To turn a wha effect on and off)

2. Are external expression pedals with on/off switches supported, to provide a similar function to question 1?

3. Is there a function to defeat the cab/mic simulators to run my live power amp stereo guitar cabs setup?

4. Does this unit have enough resource headroom to run a reasonable dual amp patch? ( a gate, an overdrive, eq, modulator and a reverb. I don't need twelve of anything to prove how bad lollipop it is )

I dumped a hd500 and went back to my x3 live due to this last issue. I'm hopeful I can upgrade to something with more updated amp models that will work for me without going 2k plus in the hole. I'm only a hobbyist musician, albeit a serious one.

And if I get the attention of DI or other L6 staff, can I ask why you got away from modeling the Engl Powerball? It sounds a whole mess better than the FB in my humble opinion.

1. Yes - a toe switch similar to other Line 6 floor processors.

2. Not at launch, to steal DI's phrase. Although, if you had a MIDI pedal with a switch that sent a CC, it could be done, I suppose.

3. Yep, just don't use a cab block, or turn it off. All of the amp models have preamp versions as well.

4. Yes, you should be fine. It's a dual processor unit, and each processor is more powerful than what's in the HD500X, so having two rather full chains is definitely a possibility.

• Line6Tony unpinned and locked this topic