Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix FAQ

Digital_Igloo

Also- if I want to send a signal to one output before the end of the signal chain, ie. carry on and go through other things before getting sent out another output, what then? For example, sending a dry signal out a dedicated output for monitors before going through a bunch of effects.

I'm curious about output mapping as it relates to the 4 stereo signal paths. If I assign one signal to go out two different outputs, does that count as taking up two signal paths? Or are outputs separate from the signal path count.

Each of the four paths can have only one output, but the Multi output selection includes XLR, 1/4", Digital, and USB 1/2.

Also- if I want to send a signal to one output before the end of the signal chain, ie. carry on and go through other things before getting sent out another output, what then? For example, sending a dry signal out a dedicated output for monitors before going through a bunch of effects.

Sure. Either place an effects send at that point or create a split and route the new path's Output block to a different destination.

• Upvote 1

It's possible to turn effects on and off with a MIDI controller, but switching Variax models and tunings would require bringing up a new patch on the Helix. There's no MIDI CC associated with those.

If you're using the Helix floorboard, having a separate foot controller seems very redundant to me. It's very easy to go from preset mode to stomp mode. You just hit the "Mode" footswitch. So I don't think having another controller is going to give you anything all the useful in terms of added control.

I'll be using it in a live performance, there's no time for additional pedal presses like mode change or bank change that's the whole purpose of patches. think about it If I'm in stomp mode and and I'm coming out of a lead and I need a clean rhythm sound I would need to press mode then patch. For my use I can get by with 8 available patches from the helix board if I can switch on/off  a few effects with the midi F/C. can't do that with my HD500. If I could also add a few patches to the F/C that could contain my Variax changes but the problem is it would the bank to go where the patch is and that would change all the foot switch settings on the Helix.

Is there anything a Helix user has to be aware of or know before loading impulse responses? I've noticed a lot of IRs are longer than 2048 samples. Does Helix automatically truncate them if they're too long, or must they be specific before loading them to Helix? And if they are truncated, and you have an IR that's 60ms at 48KHz (2880 samples), will the IR sound significantly different than the original?

Edit: Well I can answer some of my question. I tried one of the free Ownhammer IRs that's 500ms at 48KHz and trimmed it using ReaVerb. The change is not significant. Below ~15ms is when I start to notice a drop of low end.

Edited by duncann

I have two L2ts waiting for my pre-ordered Helix to arrive. What would be the best setting on the L2t for Helix, when using the L6 Link? I couldn't find a setting that I really liked with the HD500x. when using the electric guitar setting, the HD500x guitar models and reverbs sounded OK, but strident and my guitar synths, hooked up to the mixer section, sounded weird. In reference mode (which is the happy medium that I settled on) my guitar synths and the HD500x reverbs sounded good, but the HD500x models sounded "wooofy". I'm betting that the Helix sounds WAY better, but what are you guys setting the L2t to? I want the reverbs, guitar synths AND the modeling to all sound equally good...full clear, articulate and punchy. I'll have the Helix hooked up via L6 Link and the guitar synths will input into the mixer section.

Hello Line 6 Friends!

Looking to get the Helix floor unit. I'm working as a single guitarist in a 4 piece band doing Thin Lizzy's (Boy's Are Back In Town) and I would like to know if the Helix intelligent pitch shifting is able to correctly play the harmonies as shift in real time as they appear on the original song?

Looking to do a program user scale to program all 12 notes for the intervals that you see in this video (as a reference):

Please let me know.

Cheers   :)

Byron Nemeth

I have one question:

Has the Helix a boost-Switch, similar to the boost-Switch from the g-System?

You can assign a Gain block to a switch for an ultra-transparent boost, or even better, assign up to 8 parameters to a single switch (Amp mid gain, master volume, etc.) and then label it TommyLeee'sBoost.

Yes, possible and easy.

Hello , this product looks great!  I wonder if it is possible to send different cc from the same preset , my amplifier has multiple midi functions
It would be possible for example to activate channels on the amplier without changing presets?
Thank you!

• Upvote 1

Compression and EQ

I'll get straight to it.  I'm planning on replacing my Rockman Gear with the Helix, but I need to know the Compression/Sustain and EQ will be flexible enough to re-create those sounds. Actually Sustain is the key, not distortion.,    Frankly I'm surprised someone doesn't model the Rockman stuff as it was used on just about every rock recording from everyone important for nearly 15 years.. but I digress.  I am really looking forward to this unit if it can recreate those classic effects.  I've been playing through full range cabs since I got my 1st XPR back in the day. I've had my eyes and ears on Line6 for a long time hoping you'd get to a unit like this eventually.  So thanks for that.

Easy mate, I didn't realize you had the golden ear curse. Helpful for everyone to know, as the next answers will feel less like punishment to you with that context provided.

I was just trying to pre-answer your question "are you sure you know what latency sounds like?" by saying I do based on monitoring various parts of the signal path when recording.

I have Never experienced latency with this unit (pod HD500) using the unit alone. But I have experienced it when recording which is a different animal.

If I may, mate:

No, you have experienced latency "using the unit alone", but you haven't perceived it.

As I've said a number of times already, those, such as your esteemed self, who aren't affected by latencies such as those imparted by the HD, don't know how good you have it / lucky you are!

Enjoy, mate, and may the scourge of throughput latency never bang of your door in the middle of the night!

When accessed as independent fx blocks, do the preamps have a sag control?

I'm curious because in the full amp blocks this control seems to be in a group that could be called 'power amp controls,' but then again there are tubes being modelled in these preamps and tubes do sag.

• Upvote 1

I've read through this topic based on the keyword, 'spillover', because that is very important to me.  However the semantics are confusing.  On my HD500 I can turn off the delay and/or reverb within the current preset and it trails off very nicely.  The only reason I'm considering the Helix is that I max out the DSP when I'm chasing a particular tone.  I'm also very attracted to the idea of extended expression pedals so I can increase/decrease depth of reverb, and/or depth and speed of delay, flange, or chorus on the fly.

So my question is simple:  Will we be able to preserve effect spill-over within the existing preset as we turn on and off effects within the preset?

• Line6Tony unpinned and locked this topic