Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix FAQ

Digital_Igloo

Yes. 8 TEMPLATES > 02C TwoTones A-B has it set up, ready to go, with spillover delay and reverb. If you'd prefer to smoothly blend between paths with the expression pedal, select 8 TEMPLATE > 02D Two Tones Blend.

OK, I have a sort of advanced question. BTW, I am thoroughly enjoying spending hours behind my helix, and the foot editing is a game changer! Even more so than the other stuff in the interface.

Anyway, in my fender bassman patch I have a tube screamer on for my bluesy sound. However, I have found that if you combine the tube screamer with a tube mic pre set to line level, you also get a great sound. So, I've set up a second tube screamer with the exact same settings on a 'multiple' button together with that tube preamp. So I have a separate tube screamer for my basic blues sound in the other tube screamer to come on with the studio tube pre.

My question is, how can I turn off my basic tube screamer when I hit the 'multiple' switch. Or, how can I turn off The first tube screamer when I am activating the second on the multiple button?

OK, I have a sort of advanced question. BTW, I am thoroughly enjoying spending hours behind my helix, and the foot editing is a game changer! Even more so than the other stuff in the interface.

Anyway, in my fender bassman patch I have a tube screamer on for my bluesy sound. However, I have found that if you combine the tube screamer with a tube mic pre set to line level, you also get a great sound. So, I've set up a second tube screamer with the exact same settings on a 'multiple' button together with that tube preamp. So I have a separate tube screamer for my basic blues sound in the other tube screamer to come on with the studio tube pre.

My question is, how can I turn off my basic tube screamer when I hit the 'multiple' switch. Or, how can I turn off The first tube screamer when I am activating the second on the multiple button?

1. Assign all three blocks (both Tube Screamers and the Mic Pre) to the same footswitch.
  2. Touch the switch repeatedly to select the first Tube Screamer (or use the joystick).
  3. Press the BYPASS button. Now pressing the footswitch will toggle the enable/bypass state of all three blocks.

Has anyone else had problems with a faulty save button? After only 3 days my save button has started to not work. Requires excessive force just to get it to register a click. See video here:

Seeking a replacement unit from Australis music supplier in Sydney Australia

For those of you who want to hear it: I recorded the my new Variax Standard with upgraded Don Mare SuperSport pickups into the Helix (VDI input) using this patch with the last of the IRs I posted straight into Logic Pro on my Macbook. No editing! I have posted both the soundcloud and the original uncompressed wav. During the take, I switch from the magnetic Don Mare pickups to the Variax Firebird neck humbucker and Variax Les Paul Humbucker back to magnetics. I think it all sounds very impressive even though the playing is sloppy. This thing is addictive like nothing else was for me before. And I never got such a convincing recording of my electric guitar and amp without actually micing up my best Two Rock. Never got this far with my AxeFx2. 

I look forward to your feedback. Please keep in mind these are raw direct recordings with no post processing or EQing like you would do on an actual recording. 

https://soundcloud.com/joost-assink/line-6-helix-two-rock-cleanish-from-variax-standard

http://www.familieassink.com/documents/HelixTwoRockCleanish.wav

And just for fun, here is a rough, unedited, un-eqed recording of my Variax Standard through VDI into my Line 6 Helix, straight into Logic Pro, no effects, no editing. I used a Taylor 314e Impulse Response that is floating around the net:

https://soundcloud.com/joost-assink/line-6-helix-acoustic-patch-using-variax-standard-with-taylor314ce-ir

http://www.familieassink.com/documents/HelixAcoustic.wav

JazzInc,

Very nice acoustic sound, and that's with no eq!  Question, were you using an acoustic model on your variax along with the Taylor IR?

For those of you who want to hear it: I recorded the my new Variax Standard with upgraded Don Mare SuperSport pickups into the Helix (VDI input) using this patch with the last of the IRs I posted straight into Logic Pro on my Macbook. No editing! I have posted both the soundcloud and the original uncompressed wav. During the take, I switch from the magnetic Don Mare pickups to the Variax Firebird neck humbucker and Variax Les Paul Humbucker back to magnetics. I think it all sounds very impressive even though the playing is sloppy. This thing is addictive like nothing else was for me before. And I never got such a convincing recording of my electric guitar and amp without actually micing up my best Two Rock. Never got this far with my AxeFx2. 

I look forward to your feedback. Please keep in mind these are raw direct recordings with no post processing or EQing like you would do on an actual recording. 

https://soundcloud.com/joost-assink/line-6-helix-two-rock-cleanish-from-variax-standard

http://www.familieassink.com/documents/HelixTwoRockCleanish.wav

And just for fun, here is a rough, unedited, un-eqed recording of my Variax Standard through VDI into my Line 6 Helix, straight into Logic Pro, no effects, no editing. I used a Taylor 314e Impulse Response that is floating around the net:

https://soundcloud.com/joost-assink/line-6-helix-acoustic-patch-using-variax-standard-with-taylor314ce-ir

http://www.familieassink.com/documents/HelixAcoustic.wav

BTW, Digital_Igloo, is there a sort of Digital clipping indicator on the Helix? I'm used to that from my AxeFx. Now I set up a screaming Tweed patch with LP and it sounds good through the L2t but awful through my in-ears.

• Assign all three blocks (both Tube Screamers and the Mic Pre) to the same footswitch.
  • Touch the switch repeatedly to select the first Tube Screamer (or use the joystick).
  • Press the BYPASS button. Now pressing the footswitch will toggle the enable/bypass state of all three blocks.

The way I gain stage Helix is to start with no blocks in the patch. Add blocks one at a time and make sure each one is unity gain when on. That way when a lot of effects are turned on together, there's no chance of gain buildup resulting in digital clipping. If I need a boost, then I bring something else that's going to be relatively constant down to establish a new "bias", then there's room to turn something else up to do a boost. Its similar to EQ when mixing, cut the things you don't want instead of boosting the things you do want. But I agree that some cliping indicator would be nice unless there's so much headroom in Helix that it doesn't matter.

• Thanks 1

Has anyone else had problems with a faulty save button? After only 3 days my save button has started to not work. Requires excessive force just to get it to register a click. See video here:

Seeking a replacement unit from Australis music supplier in Sydney Australia

Uh-oh. I hope the Helix isn't plagued by this issue. I've had equipment that has this button issue where eventually certain buttons, while still working, are really a pain to use. I recently picked up an Alesis Ion analog-modeling synth; great company, great synth, but they cut some corners in an effort to price it below $1000 and the Ions have issues with bad buttons as a result.

Hopefully your faulty save button is just an anomaly!

• Upvote 1

Wow, I think that's going to be a tough one.  I totally get what you mean, I do nearly the same thing but in my case I'm really only cutting the drive in/out to go from fat crunch to clean.   In my case I leave the chorus and lite echo on so I don't have the continuity issue, and... in other cases the transition is a measure long so I can get away with it.   Now I don't have the unit yet, but I wonder... if a way to cheat it is rather than switch patches... switch paths..

So lets see if I can get this... There'a a couple ways to do this, but essentially run the same signal down two paths or two sets of patch (mono vs stereo)..  Mono would really make this easy...   Anyway...  set up a switch to switch between the INPUT of two paths or maybe even the expression pedal to "pan" the INPUT between the two paths.   Merge the output paths back together.   This way... when you move your input from the wet input to the dry input... the output of the wet will continue until it's done...

Not sure if the unit's DSP can handle all you need, but sounds like this might work.

I'm referring to the fact that, when you change the patch, the Helix doesn't mantain the spillover of the delay (and reverbs).

So, for example, the repetitions of the delay disappear as soon as you change the patch.

I can understand that for many people this is not a big issue, but, for my playing style, it is. For example in more than one song I pass, without a pause, from a quite wet lead sound to a very simple clean. This passage, without spillover is not that great. And I can't solve with footswitch mode because one of the reason I love multifx is that I don't need to tip-tap thorught switches and, once again, for my sounds, I should activate and deactivate 4-5 pedals every time at the same time... no way! :)

Neighter A/B mode is a big deal because I have at least 3 (sometimes also 4) sound for each song.

I'm confident that the guys at line6 will found a solution for this issue.

I can see a great work and passion for the new Helix and it's quite clear to me that their intention was and still is to make the best pedalboard possibile and to listen to the customers feedback very carefully.

Actually, not a really a tough one: Line 6 just needs to implement scenes in the Helix, then problem solved. A/B paths, multiple FX per switch, the ability to assign tons of paramters to a switch, etc are all useful features, but  they're no substitute for scenes.

Can you assign the same parameter to multiple controllers? Say, I want to assign the "Volume" parameter to the Exp. Pedal from 0-80%, to do volume swells, and also assign a footswitch to toggle between 80% and 90%, for a solo boost. Can that be done? If so, how would the two controllers wok together?

Can you assign the same parameter to multiple controllers? Say, I want to assign the "Volume" parameter to the Exp. Pedal from 0-80%, to do volume swells, and also assign a footswitch to toggle between 80% and 90%, for a solo boost. Can that be done? If so, how would the two controllers wok together?

Only one controller per parameter.

But for your case there's probably many ways to do what you want.

So keep the 'channel volume'? of the amp controlled with the expression pedal, and assign the output block level parameter to a switch, with min and max values.

You could even simulate one of those cutout switches on guitars by making it momentary by using the output block level parameter and using a -120dB min value.

It'd be cool if you could, though it could also lead to some confusion. When you assign, for example, the on/off state of a block to a footswitch, it toggles the state rather than having the situation where "footswitch on == block on". It's convenient in one sense, that maybe you want to turn amp1 off and amp2 on with one footswtich. So if you were able to assign a block to multiple footswitches it could create a rather confusing series of states.

It'd be cool if you could, though it could also lead to some confusion. When you assign, for example, the on/off state of a block to a footswitch, it toggles the state rather than having the situation where "footswitch on == block on". It's convenient in one sense, that maybe you want to turn amp1 off and amp2 on with one footswtich. So if you were able to assign a block to multiple footswitches it could create a rather confusing series of states.

Only one controller per parameter.

But for your case there's probably many ways to do what you want.

So keep the 'channel volume'? of the amp controlled with the expression pedal, and assign the output block level parameter to a switch, with min and max values.

You could even simulate one of those cutout switches on guitars by making it momentary by using the output block level parameter and using a -120dB min value.

Thanks, I get what you mean.

Although I guees Line6 could simply implement different behaviours when assigning footswitches. "Toggle State" seems to be the only current behaviour, but I think "TURN ON" and "TURN OFF" would be cool. You could set a single swtich to ALWAYS turn on a series of blocks, regardless of their current states, AND also have single switches assigned to each one, to be able to turn them off individually if needed.

Or, if we're talking about parameters,in addition to the current "TOGGLE BETWEEN X AND Y VALUES", we could get simply "SET TO X VALUE", so you could effectively simulate a 3-channel amp by having three switches comanding the amp's parameters to different levels.

I mean, since we're living in the digital world, we should be able to not only simulate the analog realm, but also to surpass what is possible in real life, right? :)

And with the whole "spillover" debacle going on, since we're to be confined to a single Preset to get sipllovers, we should be able to control everything within that preset as freely as possible, me thinks.

Is this what people normally refer to as "scenes" in this thread? I never used another modeler aside from the X3/HD500/HD500x, so I'm not familiar with the concept. Is something like this already in IdeaScale?

So if you were able to assign a block to multiple footswitches it could create a rather confusing series of states.

And not to rant, but I really don't want that kind of condescending oversight from Line6, thinking that it's better to constrict users' freedom so they won't confuse themselves with all the options. It's assuming we're a little too stupid to figure out what we're doing. If that's the case, just bury the "advanced" things inside a deeper menu, where the casual guy won't see them and get all "duuuuh", but that us tweakers can get to if we need.

That's the kind of mentality I'd expect from Apple, which is the precisely why I use Android :P

Although I guees Line6 could simply implement different behaviours when assigning footswitches. "Toggle State" seems to be the only current behaviour, but I think "TURN ON" and "TURN OFF" would be cool. You could set a single swtich to ALWAYS turn on a series of blocks, regardless of their current states, AND also have single switches assigned to each one, to be able to turn them off individually if needed.

Or, if we're talking about parameters,in addition to the current "TOGGLE BETWEEN X AND Y VALUES", we could get simply "SET TO X VALUE", so you could effectively simulate a 3-channel amp by having three switches comanding the amp's parameters to different levels.

I mean, since we're living in the digital world, we should be able to not only simulate the analog realm, but also to surpass what is possible in real life, right? :)

And with the whole "spillover" debacle going on, since we're to be confined to a single Preset to get sipllovers, we should be able to control everything within that preset as freely as possible, me thinks.

Is this what people normally refer to as "scenes" in this thread? I never used another modeler aside from the X3/HD500/HD500x, so I'm not familiar with the concept. Is something like this already in IdeaScale?

I remember reading about determining, controlling, or both, a definite on/off state of a block. Here's an ideascale entry relating to this, but for midi: http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/HELIX-MIDI-implementation/781277-23508. If this idea is can be done via midi, maybe it could carry over to non-midi operation. Maybe by adding another switch mode or something. Sounds like it could be useful.

Or maybe the above is somewhat related to the idea of scenes for Helix: http://line6.ideascale.com/a/ideas/search?templateId=0&query=helix+scenes

I'm not sure, but I think the idea of scenes comes from Fractal's AxeFX, or at least that's what has a scenes capability. The idea has probably been around for a long time.

The ablity to assign a block (or parameter) to muliple footswitches, and set a "hard" state or value (rather than only 'toggle') would be great. And yeah, essentially, it would be similar to "scenes". There are several IdeaScale posts asking for scenes (hopefully they'll be consolidated at some point). In a nutshell, the idea of scenes: with the press of one footswitch you jump to a predetermined state. Like "Solo", or "Clean". It addresses a lot of problems such as reverb and delay tails, managing consistent levels and settings across multiple patches for each song, the tap-dance of turning on/off multiple items. Remember that with the current behaviour of the Helix once you assign a block (say, distortion) to a footswitch with other blocks you can no longer switch on/off that distortion block independently. The current behaviour is just too ridgid or compartmentalized, and just doesn't offer the flexibitly that really aught to be offered given the current technology.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure, but I think the idea of scenes comes from Fractal's AxeFX, or at least that's what has a scenes capability. The idea has probably been around for a long time.

Yeah, the Axe-Fx does scenes. It's really a great way to work (for the record I am NOT an Axe-Fx fanboi - I'm ready to move on if/when ever the Helix firmware supports global blocks and scenes). With the Axe, I use one preset per song, and the bottom row of my control board has five scenes. I have them labeled something like Clean, Clean2, Rhythm, Solo, Special. In addition to each block having a pre-set on/off state for each scene, you can also have "Scene Controllers", such as reverb level, amp gain - pretty much any and all paramater (similarly as in the Helix). So with the press of the Solo footswitch, bam, everthing is exactly the way I want it. With Helix's scribble scripts I wouldn't be restricted to those five static lables, which would be great.

You might say "that's no different than changing presets", except the advantages are numerous: no issues with reverb and delay tails getting cut off, no drop-out in sound as you swich scenes, you don't have to duplicate changes across multiple presets for consitency in a song, you sell Helix units to former Axe-Fx owners. ;-)

Uh-oh. I hope the Helix isn't plagued by this issue. I've had equipment that has this button issue where eventually certain buttons, while still working, are really a pain to use. I recently picked up an Alesis Ion analog-modeling synth; great company, great synth, but they cut some corners in an effort to price it below $1000 and the Ions have issues with bad buttons as a result.

Hopefully your faulty save button is just an anomaly!

Me too. Seems to be working again atm which is strange?!?

Does anyone have a quick reference guide as to which cabs go with which amps. Im running my cabs and amps separate as there are times when i run through a power amp and others when I go straight to FOH and Id like to match up Amp and CAB correctly with a quick reference guide?

Me too. Seems to be working again atm which is strange?!?

What's your impression of the buttons in general? The footswitch buttons certain look solid, though they don't look to be held to the face of the unit with a nut. How about the 'Home', 'Amp', 'Save' buttons? Other than this one issue, how's the quality? (On the Alesis Ion I'd mentioned, the buttons take a bit more force than you'd like, but they also have very little movement so there's not much tactile feedback. They're most likely not a decent surface-mount micro switch, but rather some kind of resistive membrane switch.)

Line 6 does scenes - on the M20d you set-up the configuration of the hardware and effects chains as ... err.. set-ups, and then you can instantly change the state of the channels and fx using saved scenes.  Sean Halley explains:

Interestingly M20d and Axe FX added scenes about the same time

Cool. I do indeed hope scenes are added to the Helix. As far as I'm aware neither scenes nor global blocks were ever implemented on the HD500X though, so I'm not sure if it's in their plans or not. I'd speculate that the first couple firmware updates are going to catch the low hanging fruit - things that are fairly simple extension of pre-existing functions (additional volume pedal curves, knob value-scaling). Implementing Scenes will take a bit of work since it's not a simple addition. Them Line 6 boys is smart though ;-)

Just like in HD500X, assign volume and wah to a different footswitch—or use an external expression pedal for volume. Ignore the toe switch altogether if you'd like.

I still can't even figure out how to switch between exp1 and exp2? Any help would be much appreiciated.

Yes; sorry. That's what "up to 24-bit/96kHz" meant to imply.

Hello,

In this thread, you said explicitly "yes" when asked if USB supported 44.1.

I've just received my Helix and I can't find a way to do this, at least on MacOS.

The only available choice is 48.

stevekc mentioned this issue with the Firehawk, but you did not react, which made me believe all frequencies were supported with USB "up to...".

Can you confirm it is not possible to connect the Helix with USB and record in 44.1kHz ?

From what I see : USB seems "only" 48.

I really love the sounds from the Helix, but it is impossible for me to work with it for DI/Reamp :-(

Any one having problems with control from exspresision pedal or JTV variax volume,tone ,

Every time I change patches I have move controller for its position to be recognizes .

This works great on my HD 500X I like useing post amp volume on my patches controlled from my

JVT 69 or useing exp 2 for my delay .mabe a firmware update will fix this

Any one having problems with control from exspresision pedal or JTV variax volume,tone ,

Every time I change patches I have move controller for its position to be recognizes .

This works great on my HD 500X I like useing post amp volume on my patches controlled from my

JVT 69 or useing exp 2 for my delay .mabe a firmware update will fix this

I know something like this has been mentioned about the volume pedal (http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Volume-Pedal-initial-state-on-patch-tracks-current-position/788939-23508). Might be a good idea to post about the JTV settings as well.

Any one having problems with control from exspresision pedal or JTV variax volume, tone, every time I change patches I have move controller for its position to be recognizes. This works great on my HD 500X I like useing post amp volume on my patches controlled from my JVT 69 or useing exp 2 for my delay. mabe a firmware update will fix this

Yes. Next week.

• Upvote 3

Mine's not working. For the sake of accuracy I'll provide every detail I can:

When I got my Helix home and powered it up, it froze during power up. I restarted, and played for about ten minutes, before stepping out of the room for another ten minutes, and when I came back it had frozen again. It was still playable on the sound it was on, just none of the controls would respond at all. I restarted and it didn't even get to the part of the boot where the screen turns on (the scribble strips lit up and that was it). I restarted and it froze at the boot up screen. This continued several times, before I hooked up the usb cable and updated the firmware (it froze during the first attempt but it worked on the second try). When it auto-restarted, I was able to play for 1-2 minutes before it froze again. I tried many times after this to restart it only to have it freeze at various points before finishing booting up. On one of these occasions the screen turned red instead of showing the boot up screen. On one occasion I got through booting up and was able to play for about 15 seconds before it froze and the screen turned red (though a different shade this time). To summarize: half the time it fails to get to the startup screen, 40% of the time it freezes during the startup screen, 10% of the time it freezes after letting me play briefly.

Mine's not working. For the sake of accuracy I'll provide every detail I can:

When I got my Helix home and powered it up, it froze during power up. I restarted, and played for about ten minutes, before stepping out of the room for another ten minutes, and when I came back it had frozen again. It was still playable on the sound it was on, just none of the controls would respond at all. I restarted and it didn't even get to the part of the boot where the screen turns on (the scribble strips lit up and that was it). I restarted and it froze at the boot up screen. This continued several times, before I hooked up the usb cable and updated the firmware (it froze during the first attempt but it worked on the second try). When it auto-restarted, I was able to play for 1-2 minutes before it froze again. I tried many times after this to restart it only to have it freeze at various points before finishing booting up. On one of these occasions the screen turned red instead of showing the boot up screen. On one occasion I got through booting up and was able to play for about 15 seconds before it froze and the screen turned red (though a different shade this time). To summarize: half the time it fails to get to the startup screen, 40% of the time it freezes during the startup screen, 10% of the time it freezes after letting me play briefly.

I know a lot of people are talking about freeze ups and stuff and most of them sound like it's a software issue but, wow.. this one sounds more like hardware to me.  Especially since it locks up without you doing anything.  I'm no expert on these things by any means so take it for what it's worth but I would probably swap that one out.

I should add- when frozen (if it's made it through booting up first), the headphone volume is the one control that works- the master volume may as well but I'm only plugged into the headphone out right now. I was able to play the Helix for about 10 minutes before it froze this morning, suggesting that the longer a 'break' it has in between (ie. not having been used all night) the longer it can go before one of these freezes happens. Once it froze, restarting it again resulted in freezing before hitting the start up screen.

I should add- when frozen (if it's made it through booting up first), the headphone volume is the one control that works- the master volume may as well but I'm only plugged into the headphone out right now. I was able to play the Helix for about 10 minutes before it froze this morning, suggesting that the longer a 'break' it has in between (ie. not having been used all night) the longer it can go before one of these freezes happens. Once it froze, restarting it again resulted in freezing before hitting the start up screen.

Send it back. I've had this behavior happen with two Line 6 products. Send it back. There was no software fix before.

I'm planning on using a Kemper with the Helix.

Helix as a multi-effect, floor-board, soundcard for reamping, etc. and the Kemper for the amp part only.

What would be the best way to connect the Kemper?

I thought of using an FX Loop, but I would have to have the send at instrument level and the return at line level.

If I'm right, we can't have an FX Loop with instrument send and line return? Is the only solution is to use two FX Loops?

You could try a digital FX Loop - send the A path out of the helix spdif and into the kemper spdif in, and return spdif out back into the helix spdif in which is set to the input of path B. That way you have only a single set of conversions and a whole path/processor each for pre and post effects.

I've tried connecting the Helix with the KPA creating a spdif effects loop between paths 1 & 2 but it produced strange ghost notes,

Ive ended up connecting thus;

Guitar --> guitar-input of the Helix --> input path 1 of the Helix set to guitar --> add pre amp effects on path 1 of the Helix --> path 1 out to XLR (main volume at 100%) --> XLR to alternative KPA input --> KPA spdif out --> input path 2 of the Helixset set to spdif in --> add post amp effects on path 2 of the Helix---> Helix 1/4 out.

The output volume must be controlled by the KPA by marking the spdif link in the output menu of the KPA. 

Instead of the alternative input you could also use the front input of the KPA connecting this one to a send out of one of the fx loops of the Helix.set to instrument level. 

Id like to know if others succeeded attempting to create an all digital effectsloop from the Helix.

Ok, thank you for your ideas.

... didn't thought of the digital IO's.

But is there a technical resaon for not being able to have an FX Loop with instrument send level and line return level? Maybe by design? If not, maybe I could put that on IdeaScale? (Digital_Igloo maybe, if you happen to read this?)

• Line6Tony unpinned and locked this topic