Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix FAQ

Digital_Igloo

Ok, thank you for your ideas.

... didn't thought of the digital IO's.

But is there a technical resaon for not being able to have an FX Loop with instrument send level and line return level? Maybe by design? If not, maybe I could put that on IdeaScale? (Digital_Igloo maybe, if you happen to read this?)

If it won't let you specify a different level for the send and return of the same loop, you could maybe use two separate loops in a row, the send loop set to instrument and the return loop set to line?

Do I have to select variax input for my jvt variax control function to work correctly or can I use multi input

I have not had any luck trying to get jvt volume to control helix volume block when changing patches I have to move

Volume nob before it will respond

I am useing firmware 103 latest version

Waiting patiently for my Helix on order here in Canada, but I'm wondering if I'm using an external delay routed thru helix sends and returns will it be momentarily muted if a preset is switched that also uses the same routing thru the external delay?

Digital_Igloo, I have two sort of technical questions about the impulse response block. First off, can you tell me why it defaults to -18 dB?

The other question regards the low and High cut. Can you tell me how the EQ works? Does the frequency you select indicate the start of the slope or the center? Also, what is the angle of the slope? Do you to know how many dB per octave?

• Assign all three blocks (both Tube Screamers and the Mic Pre) to the same footswitch.
  • Touch the switch repeatedly to select the first Tube Screamer (or use the joystick).
  • Press the BYPASS button. Now pressing the footswitch will toggle the enable/bypass state of all three blocks.

Digital_Igloo, I have two sort of technical questions about the impulse response block. First off, can you tell me why it defaults to -18 dB?

Commercial IR files are typically shot at line level, whereas the signal going through the Helix is closer to instrument level. The -18 dB makes it so the IR files you bring in are more or less the same level as the Helix's cabs.

• Upvote 1

Any time I assign a controller to helix be it variax volume,tone or EXP 2 and change patches

Helix does not respond to position of controller it defaults to saved value of preset forcing me

To change position of controller every time I change patches .this works perfectly with my HD500X

And my JTV 69 .Will this be addressed in future firmware ??? I am useing 103 now

What use is a volume pedal that dose not controll volume after switching patches

• Upvote 1

Any time I assign a controller to helix be it variax volume,tone or EXP 2 and change patches

Helix does not respond to position of controller it defaults to saved value of preset forcing me

To change position of controller every time I change patches .this works perfectly with my HD500X

And my JTV 69 .Will this be addressed in future firmware ??? I am useing 103 now

It's not a bug but something wanted. I much prefer it that way personally.

I believe there's an IdeaScale somewhere to have this choice as a global setting.

just add a gain block either first in line or after the amp. if you add it before amp it will drive the input and create more break up. if it is after  then it will just boost volume.  then touch toggle switch and assign the gain block , adjust the gain boost to something like 3db.

I have had my Helix tor over a week. I have used it with my 50th anniversary strat plugged into a Mesa MK VI combo with 2 cables  . One from the guitar 1/4inch out to the Helix  guitar in. 2 guitar out on the Helix to the effects return loop on Mesa. . There is a learning curve really only because the choices are endless.Phone support was quick friendly. very helpful and unrushed. Product sounds and tweakability unmatched in my 40 years of professional performing,recording and song writing. Build is tank ;like  Thanks Line6 and Yamaha!  Note I was not paid or rewarded for this short opinion.I don't work for Yamaha Line 6 or any music gear manufacture wholesaler or retailer . I just like the product ! a lot.

When will the unit deal with spillover? I don't feel it should be the type of feature that has a group of engineers around a corporate table trying to hammer out a solution after the metal work & switches are in place. When a unit such as this is priced @ $1,949.00 for the rackmount and $649.00 for the floor controller (in Canada) you'd think that spillover was a MUST FEATURE given it is dubbed a PROFESSIONAL product. This kind of like Ferrari saying hmmm... where should we run the exhaust pipes Gorgio? I don't want to sound outlandish however, even my old Digitech 2101 designed in 1993 had a spillover feature that one could adjust from 0 to a maximum of 10 seconds for each patch. A long echo or reverb would sound very natural and allow the performer to play right into the next patch without any sudden stoppage of the previous phrase.  

The second thing I wanted to know is (for the rack mount unit & floorboard) why there isn't a second set of I/O's (or patch bay) on the floorboard along with a guitar input considering it will be placed so close to the performer? And last, how are impulses managed & loaded in the system and accessed within a patch? Or, do they become a global utility affecting effects such as a Reverb or Echo?

Regardless of these shortcomings I have faith in Line 6 coming through with solutions in the very near future. I have been very impressed with the demo's I have heard on Youtube and cannot wait to receive my rack mount unit from L&M in Calgary, Alberta.

When will the unit deal with spillover?

I've written about spillover about fifty times in the past three months across a dozen forums. Should probably write a blog and just link to it.

The only way to get preset spillover is to dedicate half your DSP to spillover and only spillover. That means all presets lose half their blocks, or all models lose half their sound quality.

Line 6 is not going to sacrifice sound quality, but if you're willing to lose half your blocks, you can always start with 8 TEMPLATES > 02C TwoTones A-B or 02D TwoTones Blend, both of which have spillover delay and reverb built into the preset.

Coming in 28 pages late here.  Does DI's response above mean spillover between presets, or within presets?

Within. You can easily retain spillover between two tones within the same patch by using one of the two templates that DI mentioned on his post above. In practice, as long as you manage to stay within the Helix DSP capacity, you can have as many "tones" within the preset as you have foot switches available.

Within. You can easily retain spillover between two tones within the same patch by using one of the two templates that DI mentioned on his post above. In practice, as long as you manage to stay within the Helix DSP capacity, you can have as many "tones" within the preset as you have foot switches available.

So we're talking about scene spillover, not preset spillover.  Okay, that makes sense.  I'm bummed, but it makes sense.

Thanks.

I'm REALLY interested in the Helix, looks to be pretty much the perfect unit  :)

The two things that will decide if I buy it are:

1) Are the front end AD/DA converters transparent enough so that it can be used in front of a tube amp with no loss of feel / tone.

I've tried a few other units and whilst some sound very good, they still change the feel and sparkle.. my current Digitech GSP1101 which I am using just for FX was marketed as being "smart enough not to mess with your tone", and whilst used in my amps FX loops it's totally clean, but when you use the "pre amp" part of the GSP in 4 cable method it just robs a lot of the tube mojo from the amp... so it's just in the FX loop.

If the Helix does mess with the tone in 4 cm I still would be interested in one to use in my FX loop as it's got so many other benefits over my GSP1101 - floor board configuration and the interface is pure genius - as it has the ability to act as FX for my vocals (and my acoustic!)

2) Will I be able to get seamless switching between presets (and spill over as well).

I am in agreement with VicKlonin... preset spillover ought to be a no brainer.  Sure Digital Igloo, it will take up half of the DSP to do this - that makes sense... but for using the Helix live it's a necessity - ( as you can probably tell DI now by the 50 odd replies you've had to write about it )

The only way to get preset spillover is to dedicate half your DSP to spillover and only spillover. That means all presets lose half their blocks, or all models lose half their sound quality.

PLEASE PLEASE make Preset Spillover a selectable global option that can be turned on (and off) that would reduce the number of FX blocks by half.

I could live with using my GSP to do the FX spillover for now, if it was going to be added in the future.

Also, I've not really seen any videos that show the Helix's behaviour when switching presets - but there's no way it's acceptable to have silence when you change sound.. I really am hoping that is not the case!!!!!  Can anyone put my mind at rest here??  This would be an instant NO BUY for me.

Also, I've not really seen any videos that show the Helix's behaviour when switching presets - but there's no way it's acceptable to have silence when you change sound.. I really am hoping that is not the case!! Can anyone put my mind at rest here?? This would be an instant NO BUY for me.

It's not ideal, but of course it's acceptable. If it wasn't acceptable to the vast, vast majority of guitar players, more than two boxes ever made in the history of guitar processors would have full preset spillover. The $3200 AxeFX II XL+ and MFC-101 doesn't do it. The $2400 KPA and remote doesn't do it either.

If you ask 100 people if they're willing to give up half their blocks or half their sound quality for spillover, all 100 will tell you no. We know, because we actually asked.

And again, you can seamlessly blend between tones with spillover right now in Helix, within the same preset. We also have other ideas for potential future implementation, but can't talk about it now.

It's not ideal, but of course it's acceptable. If it wasn't acceptable to the vast, vast majority of guitar players, more than two boxes ever made in the history of guitar processors would have full preset spillover. The $3200 AxeFX II XL+ and MFC-101 doesn't do it. The $2400 KPA and remote doesn't do it either.

If you ask 100 people if they're willing to give up half their blocks or half their sound quality for spillover, all 100 will tell you no. We know, because we actually asked.

Are you aiming at the vast majority of guitar players DI?  I thought this was aimed at the more professional players.

It's true most boxes don't do spillover and take time to switch between presets - but which two boxes are you thinking of??  The Digitechs I guess.. but that's not all actually... TC Electronic's G Major 2 and G major 1 have "Hard/Soft" FX Mute which allows for Delay spillover and reverbs to morph into the new sound.  Also their older G-Force does spillover if you make sure the presets algorithms routings aren't too different.

Axe FX's scene's pretty much make up for lack of full spill over.

The failure of many boxes to do spillover is part of why people have massive racks with many different effects units each running just one particular effect and routed through a mixer back to the amp(s).  That is the old fashioned way of doing things.    That was the past.... I'd like to move on.

Helix is a very powerful beast.. perhaps that's it's downfall here.....

It's got the capability to have your vocal mic, and your guitar, and other things all running through it.... (maybe a backing track for a soloist)

Imagine a soloist playing to backing tracks, routed through Helix as well as their vocal XLR and guitar... direct to the FOH.   If they change presets whilst playing does the whole mix just cut out?? Silence??  If that is so, I am afraid that I consider that unacceptable.  Fine for at home.  Not for performing.

And again, you can seamlessly blend between tones with spillover right now in Helix, within the same preset.

Maybe there is a workaround now with the current Helix firmware using the same preset, but maybe not... It will probably depend how complicated your song is - I hear you can only route a particular effect parameter to be controlled one button at a time?  So does that mean if you have 3 or 4 different combinations of effects within a song you are out of luck? Lots of songs have 3 different tones in them.. verse, chorus, solo for example.  

Even if it worked like that....you'd have to have all of the FX loaded in your preset for all the different sounds and just bypassed or whatever.  So if you needed 3 complete different sounds you'd actually be cutting your DSP into thirds....you'd be better off just halfing your DSP blocks to start with...

Add to that the idea that you might want to have control of your vocal effects as well and it's getting seriously complicated.

Proper spillover just seems a far simpler option to me.

It could be chosen to be OFF and it would work just like now, or ON and would half the number of DSP blocks you could run.

Everyone would be happy.  :)

We also have other ideas for potential future implementation, but can't talk about it now.

I really am looking forward to hearing what the future holds for Helix.  I hope that I'll be a happy Helix owner one day soon.  By the way, I have read this thread in it's entirety over the last few days and may I say Digital Igloo, you have been very helpful and knowledgeable throughout! Respect.

It is funny how much this is true, DI.

I just went to the fractalaudio forum and I was searching for "preset spillover" (just to see how they handled it) and guess what? FIRST post in, Wham! complaining about giving up half their DSP just to get preset spillover... and I quote (bold text on the relevant portion of the quote from FX8 forum):

"Okay, we still have to use Fractal's tried-and-true, cobbled-together, "sorta gets the job done, usually", method for FX spillover, i.e. daisy-chaining spillover blocks between presets. Fine. But hold on a second. I'm already running into CPU bottlenecks with just a single delay and reverb block. That's the very reason I'm having to spread my board over multiple presets in the first place. Forget having to add the other two! Not to mention that you're already going to have to use up half your pedalboard just to get spillover! I guess I'll have to either give up AT LEAST half my pedalboard or just not have spillover at all. The latter is not really an option."

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/serious-cpu-bottleneck-spillover-again.102285/

Damned if you do, damned if you don't; DI.

And again, you can seamlessly blend between tones with spillover right now in Helix, within the same preset. We also have other ideas for potential future implementation, but can't talk about it now.

Spillover is not a huge deal to me either way although it is a great feature and makes for a more organic switch between presets. I am curious as to what is physically required for spillover DSP. Is it just an additional SHARC processor or is there much more required physically? Obviously there would be all the additional programming.

The SHARC DSP processor(s) in the Helix, the ADSP-21469, is I believe relatively inexpensive ($15 per processor in bulk is what I thought I saw on the Analog Devices SHARC page, assuming they are listing the same version of the ADSP-21469 the Helix is using). I have no idea how much the PC board it is attached to costs or what expense would be involved in designing a custom board and adding a third processor just for spillover (assuming that is all that is required which I doubt). No clue on this topic, not an electronics guy, just curious what the actual cost of additional hardware would be to add true preset spillover capability without sacrificing any of the current processing power?

Very comprehensive and positive review here that shows the SHARC processors and some of the other parts/components on the inside of the Helix, apparently the Helix is built with top quality construction and parts, from the chassis to the components:

http://www.tonymckenzie.com/line6-helix-effects-unit-floor-pedal-inside-and-out-review.htm

I searched the forum but dind'nt find an answer, so here is my question:

Is it possible to save your own configurations of the amps and cabs in helix, so that when you call them up they have your own configuration and not those from the factory presets?

I have the HD500 and as workaround I saved my most used amp or amp / cab configurations as presets so that I load them up when creating a new preset with that particular amp / cap configuration. But it would really helpful that this could be saved in the device itself and call up every time I need them.

Especially if I test presets from custome tone and want to keep the effects but change the amps, it could be loaded with your pre-definded values. It would save a lot of time.

Thanks!

Waiting patiently for my Helix on order here in Canada, but I'm wondering if I'm using an external delay routed thru helix sends and returns will it be momentarily muted if a preset is switched that also uses the same routing thru the external delay?

Can anyone answer this question?  I'm assuming the whole Helix output is muted at preset switches - so unfortunately it wouldn't work if that's true.

It is funny how much this is true, DI.

I just went to the fractalaudio forum and I was searching for "preset spillover" (just to see how they handled it) and guess what? FIRST post in, Wham! complaining about giving up half their DSP just to get preset spillover... and I quote (bold text on the relevant portion of the quote from FX8 forum):

"Okay, we still have to use Fractal's tried-and-true, cobbled-together, "sorta gets the job done, usually", method for FX spillover, i.e. daisy-chaining spillover blocks between presets. Fine. But hold on a second. I'm already running into CPU bottlenecks with just a single delay and reverb block. That's the very reason I'm having to spread my board over multiple presets in the first place. Forget having to add the other two! Not to mention that you're already going to have to use up half your pedalboard just to get spillover! I guess I'll have to either give up AT LEAST half my pedalboard or just not have spillover at all. The latter is not really an option."

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/serious-cpu-bottleneck-spillover-again.102285/

That's interesting Deadlocked, thanks for sharing... I had already pretty much ruled out getting the FX8 because it lacked a few of the algorithms I was interested in.. Knowing that the CPU is struggling to keep up with the workload if you try to use scenes for spillover is a clincher.

I find the important part of the quoted text above to be the final sentence.... "I guess I'll have to either give up AT LEAST half my pedalboard or just not have spillover at all.  The latter is not really an option."

Spillover is not a huge deal to me either way although it is a great feature and makes for a more organic switch between presets. I am curious as to what is physically required for spillover DSP. Is it just an additional SHARC processor or is there much more required physically? Obviously there would be all the additional programming.

The SHARC DSP processor in the Helix, the ADSP-21469, is I believe relatively inexpensive ($15 per processor in bulk is what I thought I saw on the Analog Devices SHARC page, assuming they are listing the same version of the ADSP-21469 the Helix is using). I have no idea how much the PC board it is attached to costs or what expense would be involved in designing a custom board and adding a third processor just for spillover (assuming that is all that is required which I doubt). No clue on this topic, not an electronics guy, just curious what the actual cost of additional hardware would be to add true preset spillover capability without sacrificing any of the current processing power?

I'd assume you need to have double the DSP available so that the unit can keep processing the old sound whilst starting on the new one.. How about having a hardware slot for an extra CPU board?  That would be neat.. if you wanted spillover you could add the spillover board.   That would keep the basic unit cost low for the bedroom players and give live performers the tools they need.  But make it only able to do spillover - not double the available DSP.. otherwise, guess what.. people would then fill up all the available DSP with one single preset and complain that their unit couldn't do spillover!

Imagine a soloist playing to backing tracks, routed through Helix as well as their vocal XLR and guitar... direct to the FOH.   If they change presets whilst playing does the whole mix just cut out?? Silence??  If that is so, I am afraid that I consider that unacceptable.  Fine for at home.  Not for performing.

I think it's being a bit over-dramatic to say that a preset change results in "silence". Technically, yes, there is a very short gap, and yes, reverb or delay tails will be cut off, but the transition between presets is fast enough, that it really doesn't register as silence. It's more like a little bump. I tried recording a transition in Reaper so I could measure the gap, and I found it took a little bit of effort for me to just isolate where the transition was on the audio track. I can see how if you're playing alone this could be an issue, but even then, if you time the transitions right, it shouldn't be any more noticeable than taking a breath. It would actually be a lot less disruptive than that. If you're playing in a band, no one but you is going to notice the transitions.

I mean I understand why people like the concept, but spillover is one of those things that I think for most styles of music people worry to much about it. If you're playing ambient music with huge soundscapes built by delays and reverbs trails, yes, it makes a lot of sense to worry about it. For typical rock and pop music, it really isn't going to be noticeable in the context of a full band.

Pretty much.

Full preset spillover is one of those things that everyone would love to have, but almost no one is willing to sacrifice what's necessary to get it. I wonder if DigiTech received flak from people wondering why they didn't use that extra DSP to give them more blocks or next gen modeling instead.

I was at Roland when the Fantom-G was released. It was the first workstation to do true multitimbral performance spillover (play a chord, hold the sustain pedal, switch presets, and seamlessly blend into the next chord). The trick was that it required a special Live Set Mode where the 16 simultaneous parts would be split in half so every other preset would get either parts 1-8 or parts 9-16 to smoothly spill over. I'll give you one guess as to everyone's reaction...

"THIS SUCKS! WHY CAN'T ALL SIXTEEN PARTS SPILL OVER?!"

I find the important part of the quoted text above to be the final sentence.... "I guess I'll have to either give up AT LEAST half my pedalboard or just not have spillover at all.  The latter is not really an option."

There is always the possibility to have spillover within the current capabilities of the Helix, it is just that it needs to be done within the constraints of the preset itself. With tons of DSP, there are far more options to get multiple sounds with spillover within the patch than there are cases where you are not able to do what you want to do, or at least get reasonably close.

You can setup two chains on the first parth, for instance, feeding into the same cab/delay/reverb into the second path and then switch between the two chains using gain blocks or turning on/off multiple blocks on each chain. You can also get more than two sounds by manipulating the on/off state of multiple blocks on the first path, or manipulating parameters in those blocks. This is just one way of preserving spillover between sounds, there are multiple other ways of achieving a similar result.

The end result is that, as long as you are willing to work within one preset, you can have spillover without sacrificing half of your DSP.

Can anyone answer this question?  I'm assuming the whole Helix output is muted at preset switches - so unfortunately it wouldn't work if that's true.

That's interesting Deadlocked, thanks for sharing... I had already pretty much ruled out getting the FX8 because it lacked a few of the algorithms I was interested in.. Knowing that the CPU is struggling to keep up with the workload if you try to use scenes for spillover is a clincher.

I'd assume you need to have double the DSP available so that the unit can keep processing the old sound whilst starting on the new one.. How about having a hardware slot for an extra CPU board?  That would be neat.. if you wanted spillover you could add the spillover board.   That would keep the basic unit cost low for the bedroom players and give live performers the tools they need.  But make it only able to do spillover - not double the available DSP.. otherwise, guess what.. people would then fill up all the available DSP with one single preset and complain that their unit couldn't do spillover!

An optional daughterboard with two extra SHARCs would be awesome!  Not only would this give the option for spillover but I suppose it could also serve to turn the Helix into a, heehee, "Double Helix" with monstrous and excessive amounts of processing power for incredibly complex presets when not being used for spillover. This topic of being able to plug in optional hardware as well as software packs has come up before and I imagine sooner or later the industry will provide units with this capability to cater to "power" users. Not that the Helix isn't already spectacular. I suppose the trade-off for the company making an "expandable" product would be "can we make enough money selling the optional hardware versus the upgrade cycle of selling the latest and greatest new version of the entire unit?".

I searched the forum but dind'nt find an answer, so here is my question:

Is it possible to save your own configurations of the amps and cabs in helix, so that when you call them up they have your own configuration and not those from the factory presets?

I have the HD500 and as workaround I saved my most used amp or amp / cab configurations as presets so that I load them up when creating a new preset with that particular amp / cap configuration. But it would really helpful that this could be saved in the device itself and call up every time I need them.

Especially if I test presets from custome tone and want to keep the effects but change the amps, it could be loaded with your pre-definded values. It would save a lot of time.

Thanks!

I am still awaiting delivery of my Helix, but after reading the manual, I think the answer is technically "no", you can't save your own configurations per se.  However, with so many blank user preset slots available, and the ability to copy/paste blocks---- nothing would prevent you from dedicating presets to copied blocks of amp/cab configs, effects configs, etc that you love.  In fact, your question has inspired me to do just that, assuming I ever actually get my Helix (now hearing December!!!).

What I might do is dedicate an entire setlist to this purpose.  Fill that "My Configs" setlist with presets entitled "My Jump Plexi w/ Reverb" or "My Ping Pong Delay" for instance, and copy blocks into those presets.  Then grab these blocks when I need them when building other presets.  This would seem to serve your purpose, right?

Pretty much.

Full preset spillover is one of those things that everyone would love to have, but almost no one is willing to sacrifice what's necessary to get it. I wonder if DigiTech received flak from people wondering why they didn't use that extra DSP to give them more blocks or next gen modeling instead.

I was at Roland when the Fantom-G was released. It was the first workstation to do true multitimbral performance spillover (play a chord, hold the sustain pedal, switch presets, and seamlessly blend into the next chord). The trick was that it required a special Live Set Mode where the 16 simultaneous parts would be split in half so every other preset would get either parts 1-8 or parts 9-16 to smoothly spill over. I'll give you one guess as to everyone's reaction...

"THIS SUCKS! WHY CAN'T ALL SIXTEEN PARTS SPILL OVER?!"

I understand what you say DI but spillover and instant patch-change to me are two fundamental features.

I know that isn't true for many people but I know other players think the same as me.

I understand that a true spillover through patches is too demanding in terms of dsp power but the scene mode (as featured on fractal products) will achieve booth spillover and seamless blend between tones.

I'm really confident that you will find a way to implement a nice scene mode to the Helix.
I think this is the only real lack of an otherwise incredible machine.

Any plans to add a expression pedal on the Helix Control ?

You can add three of your favorite.  :) It was important that Helix Control was as small as possible. If it had an expression pedal, it'd be almost the size of Helix. Currently, it can fit on a rack shelf or inside certain rack drawers.

Did y'all really ask people about the touch screen option, and wow they turned it down?

It's not a deal breaker but every time I play it I keep touching the screen like I would my phone, iPad, double din pioneer radio in my truck, or my Asus pc. Seems the helix is the newest tech I have that reminds me of tech from 2000-2010.

Guys 3 very important questions , and please quote me for the answer. ( i don't know if you answer already before, I am missing onboard (seaman is my job) ) 

1) Is still the amp and cab dep parameters available? 

2) Is the bogner presence work as the normal bogner now? (like a wide eq?)

3) Is the treadplate any close to the sound of the true treadplate?

Thanks anybody who will reply in advance.

• Line6Tony unpinned and locked this topic