Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix FAQ

Digital_Igloo

Hey y'all,

I'd like to know if and how the Helix could be set up to A/B to two separate physical external amplifiers.  I have a crystal clean Fender Twin I'd like to use for clean sounds, and a higher gain amp for dirty.  I know you can use two different amp models in patches, but I'd like to A/B my Fender Twin and my dirty amps by stomping between patches.  It seems this should be fairly easy, but I've yet to see anyone do this.  I've searched all over the internet about this, and I have not found the solution.

There are probably several ways but my first thought is to set up a split block and use a footswitch to send the signal to output A versus output B.  Connect clean amp to output A and dirty amp to output B.  You could also use the pedal instead of a switch to move between them or even blend them on the fly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Having just recieved my Helix yesterday, and plowing through the faq (all 35 pages ðŸ˜), I cant find a complete summary of firmware changes from v1.0 onwards ? Would there be such a thing ?

Having had a quick play with the beast I was amazed how things have come on from my old Pod, BassPod, XTLive, and Variax.

I was on here years ago,but couldnt find my old account.

I currently have a Boss GP10 and a RR start and I'm wondering if the standard Variax is any better than the old Variax 300 I had ? I ended up selling the insides and body separately 😆

Just got my helix yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised to see the new reverbs in the 2.5 firmware, but is there a description somewhere of what type of reverbs they actually are? Names like Glitz and Plateau are very creative, but I have no idea what type of reverb I'm dealing with without trying them all out.

Just got my helix yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised to see the new reverbs in the 2.5 firmware, but is there a description somewhere of what type of reverbs they actually are? Names like Glitz and Plateau are very creative, but I have no idea what type of reverb I'm dealing with without trying them all out.

They're not really models of anything specific. They each have different characters, though. The Plateaux is a pitch shifted shimmer modulated verb. Searchlights seems to have more of a dual phaser type of modulation. Ganymede has a panning tremolo sort of modulation thing going. Glitz is probably the most "vanilla" of them all... It seems to me to be more of a chorus type of modulation. Double Tank is a bit lighter modulation feeling as well... It has more of an underwater feeling than the other ones.

Here's samples of each on that I recorded: https://soundcloud.com/phil-miller-20/sets/helix-hx-reverbs

These were all recorded with pretty high mix and decay settings, so they're perhaps a bit on the over the top side.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, that's the most useful description I've seen of them so far. So basically they're all digital reverbs with different types of modulation/tonal qualities.

Yep... I guess the techie way of saying that would be to say they're all algorithmic reverbs, as opposed to specific spacial or convolution-based reverbs.

• Line6Tony unpinned and locked this topic