Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500X + Fernandes guitar/sustainer?

J_Anderson

Hello,

Has anyone tried a Fernandes Guitar with the sustainer feature on a Line 6 POD for direct to computer recording?

By not having an amp/speaker that can boost the sustain i thought it would be interesting to hear if someone has tried it and if it sound allright.

(found this nice video of a Fernandes sustainer guitar)

https://youtu.be/2l9c7QVBx2E

I use a Jackson. 

But I never do computer recording --- other than the fact that everything is a computer in one form or anther. 

The sustain is in the pickup. It has nothing to do with an amp. 

I know it works when ampless because computer recording, for me, would be the equivalent of using an IEM -- there is no amp or monitor that would create a 'natural' feedback. But the feature works.

But, the truth is, a sustain pickup seems like a nice idea. It just doesn't really ever get used. I have no practical application for it. 

Although i did extensive homework on that pickup, i haven't personally tried it, because i couldn't justify the final cost of it, or its
direct competitor the "Sustainiac". I found the Boss FB-2 to be the cheapest solution to achieving the infinite sustain effect at low
volumes. But, if you have the money to burn, i suggest you go with either pickup, as infinite sustain is not achieved synthetically
as is done with the FB-2, or any other FX pedal for that matter. I imagine these pickups would work and sound good on just about
anything pretty well really. You may even find that buying a guitar that is already pre-loaded with them as better value in the end.
True infinite sustain with regular passive/active pickups, CANNOT be achieved without an amp + speakers @ high volumes/gains.

Sustainiac Demo - Jeff Loomis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6ZVou9eYnU

A Variax with built in sustainer would be a done deal.

I've never seen that Gizmotron before, it's insane and awesome :)

Not sure if you could fit in the extra electronics for a Sustainer.

The Gizmotron was Godley and Creme's invention but failed. The new version hopes to irradiate the problems of the original. It appeared all over a concept triple (!) album 'Consequences'. Jimmy Page used it on the intro to Led Zep's 'In The Evening'. Of course it could used on a Variax with no issues with no retrofitting, unlike the Sustainer.