Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

500x: screamer only works with Vox AC30 TB

Indianrock2020

I've only been studying and tweaking for 5 months, but so far I use the AC30 TB amp for everything.  I bought the vintage amp pack a while back, but particularly when using the screamer, I can't get an "overdrive you can use in church" out of anything but that Vox amp.  

I pair the screamer with a parametric eq mostly now to notch out ugly frequencies, but still....   For a special project I'm using the Line 6 overdrive for a heavier crunch, but still mainly works with the Vox for the smoother, tamer OD I'm looking for.

for a low driving crunch sometimes i back the gain down...lol...j/k bro!!!!....seriously though..i do like to try some of the diffrent overdrives with just a clean, i mainly do that to get alittle more of a country type overdrive

You mean you use the overdrive as a boost, with the gain on the OD turned down?  I can try that.   I could also use the expression pedal to control the amp gain when going from clean rhythm to crunchy.  Since I usually have the expression pedal controlling amp channel volume, that would mean adding a volume pedal effect to my chain.  

Sure is a waste to have 20 or 30 amp models and only use one.

basically yes and no i guess, but i have it on a clean channel with no dist. at all and i believe my od gain is about half way...i use the od as my distortion pedal not really as a boost...the over all sound i was going for wasnt clean but wasnt very dirty just enough to tell the diffrence and give my country solos more bite...if i was home i could give u better input on wat my settings are...and as for using the exp. pedal for gain i guess that depends on the user but i really couldnt get it to work for me

I've been using the WorshipArtistry patch for a few weeks now and really like it.  It uses the same amp.  If you're getting the sound you like, then I don't see a  reason to switch amps.  Dozens of bands use the AC30.

As far as the issue you're having, you may want to check the gain on the amp as well.  I use that amp, and I have the gain set to around 35% - enough to grit up if I dig in on it but still works clean if I don't.  I also use the TS pedal in the chain as my only distortion pedal.  With the amp set to around 35% and the TS set to around 60% drive, you'll get plenty enough gain for any worship song.  I just used the WorshipArtistry patch for a week long camp inside a gym (ugh) and it sounded great.

I tried making some other patches as well, using heavier sounding amps, but they just didn't work for me either.  Not to say you can't do it, but if it sounds great already, why change?