Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

PLEASE TRY THIS: String-to-string inconsistency

I'm a long-time Variax user (since Variax acoustic), and I have a JTV-59P that I love. But I'm finding I use it less and less, BECAUSE...

There's usually one string in each model that sounds like a completely different guitar. And I mean, no exaggeration, once you discover this it will drive you Bonkers. This is 'firmware update' material.

A few examples: on the Spank model, play each string. What does your 4th string (D) sound like? Be honest. Honk honk honk.

How about the 2nd string on the Special? Thud thud thud.

And here's a really funny one: on the Tele thinline model, play each string and then the 6th (Low E): what???? Is that from the acoustic model or something?

I know this is not on purpose, I know something went wonky at the end of the modeling process or was lost in translation. I tried multiple JTVs and found the same strings were doing it on the same models. Please tell me I'm not out of my mind here. I am a huge fan of the JTV and would love to use it as my main axe for sessions and gigs.

Help!

Wish I could help you, but none of the strings on my Tele models sound like the acoustics...no other unpleasant "honks" or "thuds" either. I'm not a huge fan of the newer Strat model, as I find that it doesn't drive any of the amps in the POD as much as the 1.9 version did, so I've crafted some custom combinations to better approximate the older Strat model. That aside, no major complaints.

For info on the topic, 

It's like a strange overtone to the sound that happens in the attack of the 6th string for me. Switching between magnetics and modeling on my 69s on spank, all strings from 1-5 sound consistent and virtually the same, but the 6th has that strange trebley overtone to the attack. It's present on most models, but the volume between the overtone and the actual note of the string differs from model to model.

If you have any clanking noise in the attack of multiple strings, it could be the string ringing behind the bridge, which I talked about in another topic, which is curable by dampening that part of the strings with some type of material.

It's best that you post sound demos of the phenomenon.