Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just scored a DT25 Head--Wooo Hoooo!!!!!

mtreehugger

I'm very pleased to announce that I was able to snag a DT25 head, open box (level 1-mint) from MF yesterday for the stupidly fantastic price of $396.  Now that I've basically learned how to get what I want from my DT50 and HD500, I can't wait for the DT25.  I know it's got less noise floor, which is important to me as I practice in my basement, and the lower power will help with that too.  I'm thinking I've totally got the best of both dreamworlds now, cuz the DT25 will handle most situations but I'll still have the big guy when I need him.

It's crazy what good deals can be had right now on the DT's.  I've been checking the internet furiously ever since the selloff began, and FINALLY got the best I could hope for!

As I understand it, the DT25 will come back from hiatus but not the DT50.  A year's time from now, even 6 months from now, you won't find a lot of people willing to give up any DT model not in production.  And if Helix is any indication, any new amps would be solid state or VERY SPENDY or both.

Rock on DT25!  

Rock on DT50!

• Upvote 1

I'm very pleased to announce that I was able to snag a DT25 head, open box (level 1-mint) from MF yesterday for the stupidly fantastic price of $396.  Now that I've basically learned how to get what I want from my DT50 and HD500, I can't wait for the DT25.  I know it's got less noise floor, which is important to me as I practice in my basement, and the lower power will help with that too.  I'm thinking I've totally got the best of both dreamworlds now, cuz the DT25 will handle most situations but I'll still have the big guy when I need him.

It's crazy what good deals can be had right now on the DT's.  I've been checking the internet furiously ever since the selloff began, and FINALLY got the best I could hope for!

As I understand it, the DT25 will come back from hiatus but not the DT50.  A year's time from now, even 6 months from now, you won't find a lot of people willing to give up any DT model not in production.  And if Helix is any indication, any new amps would be solid state or VERY SPENDY or both.

Rock on DT25!  

Rock on DT50!

Nice Snag! Someones going to be having some fun very soon! I'm over here enjoying the DT50 and Peavey Valve King II 20MH. I can't believe how cool this little Peavey is.

Thanks for sharing your most awesome find! Have Fun and Rooooock ON!!!

Nice Snag! Someones going to be having some fun very soon! I'm over here enjoying the DT50 and Peavey Valve King II 20MH. I can't believe how cool this little Peavey is.

Thanks for sharing your most awesome find! Have Fun and Rooooock ON!!!

Apparently it takes much longer to get an open box item from MF, at least in some cases.  My much-anticipated DT25 head FINALLY arrived on Thursday, June 18 in a carton that looked like the Sherpas had taken it on 2 round trips to the top of the Earth before putting it on the truck.  I was a bit freaked when I heard something rattling inside, but it was just the power cord and everything was fine.  No, not fine, mint.

I have to say that aesthetically, this is one beautiful and very cool piece of gear.  I find the DT series Tolex to be very attractive, and that's of course true here.  But the whole package, front and rear panels, rear mesh, the deluxe handle, big foot pads, small size, solid build, light weight... it's a head-turner in every way, really.

But what blows me away most is the tone!  I'd tested a DT25-112 once before and felt that it wasn't in the same league as my DT50-112, but now I'm thinking I was wrong. Even though the power tubes and buffers are different, the two amps tones are very, very much nearly the same.  I went with my favorite patches (POD HD500) and found that in Full Volume Mode with the master at 12:00 and switched to triode that the tones were nearly identical, except that they were a bit sweeter.  Not much, really, but just enough to become magically perfect.  This is, of course, because I'm playing quietly in a small, quiet room and really couldn't open up my 50.  With my 25 I'm now totally getting what I want!!!  Oh YEAH!

I'm playing through an old Fender Bandmaster 2x12 bottom that is loaded with the OEM DT series speaker, Celestion G12-H90, and a Celestion Greenback.  This bottom made a world of difference to me with my DT50, so it's no surprise that it's perfect with the DT25 too.  (I would recommend to everyone who might be still searching for their tone(s) who has a DT that they should try playing through 2 speakers, but to be careful if they pick greenback as they're only 25 watts.)

My tones are now sublime at low volume, and I can't wait for my next jam or audition so I can really open this little cutie up.  I'm getting killer crunch, that refined classy kind that I seem to only find with Lin6/Bogner.  Sustain--OH YEAH!  At these setting this puppy just sings!  Noise floor?  Fahgettabotit!  I scarcely hear anything with my ear 2" away (though I haven't tried voice 3).  

Actually, if I hadn't found such a good deal on my second-hand DT50, I'd have gone DT25 from the beginning.  But now that I have both, no way would I part with either.  The DT25 is a dream amp for smaller spaces and lower volumes, and the DT50 has the power and the headroom needed for some situations.  With production now ended (GC told me that DT25 will resume but not DT50), the supply is now limited, so not just anybody with the money can own one anymore.  All this talk about Helix, but I'm having a hard time imagining that Helix could replace the DT.  I don't think it can sound better, tho it might sound the same, but most guitarists will still need an amp regardless--that's not likely to be changing.  Helix and StageSource compared to this?--I dunno, I think the DT's gonna win out.  Could the DT be the next Dumble?  The next revered, sought-after amp that people are willing to pay obscene amounts of cash for?  Could all of us who own one today be sitting on tomorrow's DT gold mines?  I'd like to think so, but one thing I know for sure, they will never be as affordable as they are right now.

So I've got an open box item.  That means that somebody bought it, most likely at the recent insanely discounted price, and didn't like it.  I feel so sorry for this person.  I appreciate that there's a learning curve with all of the dream rig gear, but it boggles the mind to think that anybody would give up a piece of gear that's so tops in every way.  So, mystery person whoever you are, from the bottom of my heart, thanks!  Your loss is my gain...

My HUGE gain.

My HUGE gain.

I see Line 6 is gett'in some LOVE! Glad to your getting what ya wanted in tone. I'm enjoying that DT50HD over here! Working good so far but there is a few things I need to check out, such as the L6 Link, Direct Out and MIDI functionality. The main part such as the preamps/topos, and the Power amp sound great.

Anyways, ENJOY!