Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix True Bypass?

blitzt29

not to discourage you in your search....

but maybe... just maybe... this simply isn't the product for you.

i wish my ford was a ferrari.... but it's a ford.

i obviously don't know the engineering behind Helix...

but reading between the lines, i think it's been implied that it's simply not designed for true bypass...

because the more common use case doesn't require it...

what you want is another product....

i do think that you'd get more mileage and more supporters if you simply

had your ideascale request to be a helix version of an m13 or whatever...

seriously... be specific with what you want.... take helix and remove everything you won't use... and your idea is whats left plus true bypass

if there's truly a pro demand for it.. you'll get the votes and consideration due at Line6

then when the product for you actually does arrive... it should cost considerably less without the amp models etc.

ok, seems you don´t want to understand that there are guys running a setup like this:

rjm mastermind or another expensive midi board

switchblade or other switchers

many fx pedals in front of the amp

tube amp

one or another rack fx for post fx

incl. line mixer

power amp and

real cabs

...and that they would really love to get rid of parts of their really heavy, big, professional gear and buy a helix instead...and that they could propably live with helix´s fx quality, they´d really be happy about some extra features like the amp sims etc...really happy about the very good midi board...very happy, that helix offers 4 loops, and they´d be incredibly happy if only helix would offer the same signal quality as their setup incl. soundsculpture switchblade and line mixers...

can you imagine that it´s not enough for them if you say "you could buy an M13..."

does it really need so much fantasy for that...?

if it does: here it is once again: me and many friends and colleges of mine (incl. many pros...this seems to be very important for some guys here....) have been very excited, when we saw the helix presentation...and we said "lollipop...that´sm exactly what we´ve been waiting for...and it looks just perfect!"...we´d really love to buy exactly helix with the addition of true bypass for pre fx and analog dry through for post fx...ok?

is it ok for you to stop wondering and tell me about other gear, because i propably know about every alternitive on the market...i´ve owned a switchblade, but it simply is too big and heavy for me...i own an M5 and M9 and use it just for pre fx, because it has true bypass!

maybe this would also reduce many very, very funny comics and other answers here on the forum, which only lead to wast of time...

thanks

p.s.: i´ve already started an ideascale request

Having a true bypass unit wouldn't guarantee a noise-free setup in the 4CM anyway. You could still develop ground loops, and to deal with those you would need some sort of ground lift circuit (which is probably what Fractal has built into the FX8). Anyway, I've used the 4CM with Helix and my amp, and it was fine on both channels. The cool thing was setting up the Helix's relay output to control the channel switching and reverb on my amp. I set it up so the reverb relay was controlled by the same switch I had a Helix reverb controlled by. When I turned off the amp relay, the Helix reverb took over then - pretty cool.

• Upvote 2

Having a true bypass unit wouldn't guarantee a noise-free setup in the 4CM anyway. You could still develop ground loops, and to deal with those you would need some sort of ground lift circuit (which is probably what Fractal has built into the FX8). Anyway, I've used the 4CM with Helix and my amp, and it was fine on both channels. The cool thing was setting up the Helix's relay output to control the channel switching and reverb on my amp. I set it up so the reverb relay was controlled by the same switch I had a Helix reverb controlled by. When I turned off the amp relay, the Helix reverb took over then - pretty cool.

So Phil, how's the bypass tone compared to straight to amp? Volume level, tone suck etc? I don't need solid numbers, just ballpark "in your opinion" statement. Volume levels consistent? Loops don't require ridiculous tweaking to get unity gain?

ok, seems you don´t want to understand that there are guys running a setup like this:

rjm mastermind or another expensive midi board

switchblade or other switchers

many fx pedals in front of the amp

tube amp

one or another rack fx for post fx

incl. line mixer

power amp and

real cabs

...and that they would really love to get rid of parts of their really heavy, big, professional gear and buy a helix instead...and that they could propably live with helix´s fx quality, they´d really be happy about some extra features like the amp sims etc...really happy about the very good midi board...very happy, that helix offers 4 loops, and they´d be incredibly happy if only helix would offer the same signal quality as their setup incl. soundsculpture switchblade and line mixers...

can you imagine that it´s not enough for them if you say "you could buy an M13..."

does it really need so much fantasy for that...?

if it does: here it is once again: me and many friends and colleges of mine (incl. many pros...this seems to be very important for some guys here....) have been very excited, when we saw the helix presentation...and we said "lollipop...that´sm exactly what we´ve been waiting for...and it looks just perfect!"...we´d really love to buy exactly helix with the addition of true bypass for pre fx and analog dry through for post fx...ok?

is it ok for you to stop wondering and tell me about other gear, because i propably know about every alternitive on the market...i´ve owned a switchblade, but it simply is too big and heavy for me...i own an M5 and M9 and use it just for pre fx, because it has true bypass!

maybe this would also reduce many very, very funny comics and other answers here on the forum, which only lead to wast of time...

thanks

p.s.: i´ve already started an ideascale request

Seems you don't want to understand mate. Helix is not true bypass. It is not your one. Go and buy a fractal and live happy with it. Your question is answered already, we don't need a Juliet Thorn on line 6....

Go and buy a fractal and live happy with it.

Fractal's FX8 has true bypass, because that sort of product should have true bypass. Fractal's AxeFX 2 XL+ does not have true bypass, because it doesn't make sense for that sort of product to have true bypass—and it makes even less sense for Helix, for the same reasons and more. I'd be very surprised if AX8 ends up with true bypass, because its 4x12-block grid and routing flexibility is closer to that of an AxeFX 2 XL+ than it is FX8, despite their similar layouts.

But yeah, if one requires eight simultaneous effects and true bypass, it's hard to beat FX8 right now.

So Phil, how's the bypass tone compared to straight to amp? Volume level, tone suck etc? I don't need solid numbers, just ballpark "in your opinion" statement. Volume levels consistent? Loops don't require ridiculous tweaking to get unity gain?

Seems fine to me. I did do a few tests where I compared plugging straight into the amp versus, and there wasn't much difference that I could tell. As far as achieving unity gain, the only thing I did was turn the master volume knob on the Helix to 100% and set the effects loop level on the Helix to line. I didn't have to tweak the effects loop levels beyond that. This is using an Egnater Renegade, for the record. I may try to record some clips something during the next week.

Seems fine to me. I did do a few tests where I compared plugging straight into the amp versus, and there wasn't much difference that I could tell. As far as achieving unity gain, the only thing I did was turn the master volume knob on the Helix to 100% and set the effects loop level on the Helix to line. I didn't have to tweak the effects loop levels beyond that. This is using an Egnater Renegade, for the record. I may try to record some clips something during the next week.

Some clips of that would be great!!

not to discourage you in your search....

but maybe... just maybe... this simply isn't the product for you.

i wish my ford was a ferrari.... but it's a ford.

i obviously don't know the engineering behind Helix...

but reading between the lines, i think it's been implied that it's simply not designed for true bypass...

because the more common use case doesn't require it...

what you want is another product....

i do think that you'd get more mileage and more supporters if you simply

had your ideascale request to be a helix version of an m13 or whatever...

seriously... be specific with what you want.... take helix and remove everything you won't use... and your idea is whats left plus true bypass

if there's truly a pro demand for it.. you'll get the votes and consideration due at Line6

then when the product for you actually does arrive... it should cost considerably less without the amp models etc.

do you comppletely read other posts before answering and then take a litlle time to think about it....? 

i guess not...for you once again: i want exactly helix with true bypass and analog dry through...i don´t want an M13 with many mods...i want helix with all his great features with true bypass and analog dry through...is this clear for you now?

...and please - as i said - i don´t really need such great answers...just leave my post be, if you´re not really having an input...it´s not a strange request i have, not very hard to understand...if you don´t care about it - fine...just leave this thread and read another one...but please - don´t tell me, what i´m searching for cause, i do know very well what i´m asking for...

• Downvote 1

Having a true bypass unit wouldn't guarantee a noise-free setup in the 4CM anyway. You could still develop ground loops...

the point for me wanting true bypass is not noise or ground loops...it´s AD/DA conversion having bad influence on signal quality and tone...

Seems you don't want to understand mate. Helix is not true bypass. It is not your one. Go and buy a fractal and live happy with it. Your question is answered already, we don't need a Juliet Thorn on line 6....

guys like you are ruining the forums...thanks!

Honestly, yeah, if you're too picky about your signal running into A/D D/A converters with no processing, then just get a ABY pedal.

thanks....do you think i´m not aware of this possibility...? 

question: what does helix want to be?

A: an all in one solution

B: part of a complicated gear setup

but if you really wanted to help me - honistly thanks...i am aware of such solutions....excuse me beeing a little sensible, but from my point of view i´ve just placed a very usefull request and for that i get flooded by everything from primitive to stupid and totally needless answers which i´m really tired of...instead of just saying "thanks for your idea..."...such things are really ruining such forums - it´s a little sad and a pitty!

thanks....do you think i´m not aware of this possibility...? 

question: what does helix want to be?

A: an all in one solution

B: part of a complicated gear setup

but if you really wanted to help me - honistly thanks...i am aware of such solutions....excuse me beeing a little sensible, but from my point of view i´ve just placed a very usefull request and for that i get flooded by everything from primitive to stupid and totally needless answers which i´m really tired of...instead of just saying "thanks for your idea..."...such things are really ruining such forums - it´s a little sad and a pitty!

Then think about it ...It is almost ready to go on production, already cost set, probably already units are ready, and you want to redesign to do what you want to do, by stating that you use 3-4 effects. You are either trolling or came here just to bash the forum by calling ppl stupid and primitive. Guess all of the above what makes YOU look like...

• Upvote 3

Now you're just being rude....

you've already been told in so many words that Helix is not going to do what you want....

they are not going to re-engineer the entire platform for you....

so i suggest that you leave your own futile thread, because this is just not the product for you.

what you are wanting doesn't exist and if it ever exist will be an entirely new device.

do you comppletely read other posts before answering and then take a litlle time to think about it....? 

i guess not...for you once again: i want exactly helix with true bypass and analog dry through...i don´t want an M13 with many mods...i want helix with all his great features with true bypass and analog dry through...is this clear for you now?

...and please - as i said - i don´t really need such great answers...just leave my post be, if you´re not really having an input...it´s not a strange request i have, not very hard to understand...if you don´t care about it - fine...just leave this thread and read another one...but please - don´t tell me, what i´m searching for cause, i do know very well what i´m asking for...

• Upvote 1

But yeah, if one requires eight simultaneous effects and true bypass, it's hard to beat FX8 right now...

oh...helix (with true bypass....) would have easily beaten it...by far! ;-) 

FX8 doesn't have amp modeling; and it's doubtful the yet-to-be-released AX-8 will be 'true bypass' since it has amp modeling.

Just to veer off topic a touch here; what are you going with for a buffer before the front of your amp? I have been working on a mostly 'stomp box' style fully true-bypass pedalboard myself; unrelated to Helix / Axe / FX / HD, etc. Just 'cause I like gear :)

Anyway, I use an L6 G70 wireless, on a stompbox style pedalboard. A few Keeley pedals, a TS9, couple of Fulltone. The signal is going from G70 first through an ISP G-string / Decimator noise gate (signal tracks the dry off the G70, but actually applies the noise gate immediately after the amps' fX send - which yet another diversion, I realized the DT amps place the reverb signal BEFORE the fx loop send - which meant the noise gate was chopping all the DT reverb tails, so I just stopped using the DT reverb, and added an M9 into the end of the 'post' section)

Back to the buffer / true bypass - I am using a Voodoo Lab PX-8. just discovered it, decent, relatively affordable 8 loop switcher. It has a buffered output at the END of the 8 loops - but it also has an insert send / return between loops 6 & 7, and that send is NOT buffered.

I was getting garbage sound with no buffer - all true bypass, and my tone was horrible. I mean, really, really, really bad. I stuck a buffered tuner at the end of the chain just before the front of the amp, and it definitely improved considerably.

So I picked up a Fulltone OCD, and a Fulltone 2B, and I run both at 18v. They are after loop 6; which actually has two pedals in it. (Keeley overdrive and Keeley modded, true bypass TS9). I run the OCD into the 2B. The 2B when off is still 'on', acting as a buffer. And it was like night and day with tone.

When it's on, it has a clean boost type volume control, and also a germanium limiter, so it acts as both buffer, clean boost, and mild limiter right before the front end of the amp. I bought low capacitance cables from BestTronics, and those also sound a lot better than the schwag I had previously. And at 18v, both Fulltone pedals have considerably more headroom, which is giving me some nice sounds that I didn't have previously. 

The major downside to doing a board like this, is the cost of patch cables! I had a bunch of these Planet Waves cables, but they were not seating properly in all the pedals, and kept working their way free. So I spent way too much coin on something like four of five packages of George L's right angle cable kits. In retrospect, I might have found a better way to get the cable and connectors in bulk - kept buying one pack, doing some swap outs, buying another pack a few weeks later. Just stretched into this insane project!

Overall, true bypass, for a board like this is crucial. Even more crucial is the switcher, which not only continues the true bypass, it also eliminate the cable length for pedals not switched in on the PX-8.

Took me a few misfires on layout too. Since I have an M9 in there, I tried putting my Mission EXP pedal in the center top of the board, the switcher in the middle bottom row, wah to the right, volume pedal to the left. It all kinda sorta fit, but not very well.

In the end I bumped the Mission exp off, and it all worked much better that way.

For now, I have the M9 in loop switcher #8. I don't set it to true bypass, since I was delay trails. That way, if I don't intend to use it, I can get it out of the circuit. It also allows me to pull it out of the signal path, set up a new patch of FX, set them on/off, tap tempo, etc., then switch it in when needed. I have an analog chorus in switcher #7, which is somewhat overkill, but it allows me to expand the reverb and delay options in the M9 pallette, so for now, works pretty well.

It's certainly no Helix in terms of complexity, this while being a challenge, is overall relatively simple.

Get a pedalboard, some good velcro, some George L's or other high quality patch cable, a switcher, and a bunch of pedals. Put 'em all together and see what happens!! Oh yeah, and good power too. I use a Furman outlet strip, and I power the pedalboard with a Voodoo Lab Mondo (mounted underneath a Pedaltrain 32x16 board) 

Here's the signal chain currently:

guitar -> G70 wireless (also serves as a tuner) -> ISP noise gate (signal tracking) -> PX-8 input

loop#1 wah

loop#2 Keeley Bootlegger (Sweetwater germanium version of the Red Dirt)

loop#3 Keeley autowah

loop#4 Keeley 4-knob comp

loop#5 Keeley phaser

loop#6 Keeley 'Cure ALS' overdrive -> Keeley modded true bypass Ibanez TS9

PX-8 'insert' SEND -> Fulltone OCD (at 18v) -> Fulltone 2B (at 18v) -> TO AMP FRONT INPUT (DT25)

DT25 fx loop send -> ISP noise gate -> volume pedal -> PX-8 insert 'return'

loop#7 Keeley analog chorus

loop#8 Line6 M9

PX-8 buffered main out -> DT25 fx loop return.

Now, this rig gets used by the other guitarist in my band, and I have been typically using my HD500x linked to a second DT25 mini-stack (DT25 combo on top of DT25 cab). Those two little mini stacks sound great for my rig and his, and our stage volumes are quite manageable. And I apologize to Line6 in advance, but I removed the four big plastic Line6 logo plates from the amps and cabs.. Mostly, so they don't get destroyed lugging gear around, but also, 'cause it's a lot of advertising there.. They look a little more mysterious with no identifying logos. :)

I digress! So yeah, that's my rigs. And I have a Helix on pre-order. I have an M20d too, and the Stagesource speakers to go with it. I have found, that my last several Line6 purchases, have all been 100% AWESOME. The G70, needed that firmware update - but now it's good to go. I didn't get one right away, more recently - had been using the G50 previously.

On a side note, for folks with the G70, BestTronics has upgraded cable assemblies available, with the locking ends. They sent me some prototypes, one angled jack, one straight. I do like that the G70 uses that type of locking cable, and not a proprietary cable connector. I also like that it doesn't have those funky antenna ears!!

So yeah, with the last few years of gear Line6 has been knocking it out of the park, and I expect Helix will melt people's faces, and more important, decimate any negative pre-existing notions of what it is, or what it should be.

Is it true bypass? No. Does that matter? I don't know. I don't see it like that, but only you will know that when you actually try to use one with your rig, in the manner you want to use it! I recently bought a used Keeley distortion pedal on Reverb.com, and while I typically love most everything Keeley does, I just can't get this pedal to play nice on the pedalboard, so for now it's set aside. Use the tools that work for the music in your head, and worry not about other things. There is just not enough time and too much gear! Your gear is like your voice, it becomes a part of the individual expressive nature of who we are and what we have to say, musically.

In the end, necessity is the mother of invention. If it does some or alot of what you want, but not all of it, then get creative! Postulate new ideas of how to make it work! And have fun with it, that's what makes music great.

• Upvote 2

very, very good sounding boards...(here´s mine f.e.)

attachicon.gifboard.jpg

Nice looking pedalboard! Assembling a pedalboard does give a person a new found respect for how all this stuff works, and how challenging it can be to get an awesome tone - with the FX on, and ALSO with all the FX off!! And, on top of that challenge, to also have great routing options. Here's my board, as it stands now. It's most of the way there, I had to stop tweaking and re-arranging, so I could spend some time playing, and listening. For now, it's good. Not perfect, but way better than it was before!!

20150609_004419_zpsfd0yotlq.jpg

20150610_010802_zpsjudfuzam.jpg

20150609_233603_zpsc43p4mnp.jpg

Reading this thread (most of it anyway) got me to thinking...

How good is the dry track , that would be sent to the DAW over USB be? I assume it would really depend on the A/D conversion. Which I already received an answer that "The A/D/As sound very clean."

But after reading this thread I was wondering if the quality of the Dry track sent over USB to the DAW/PC was dependent only on the A/D/ conversion.

It depends on how you hook up Helix into your audio interface. If you go out from Helix using the digital outputs, then you only have an A/D conversion from Helix into your DAW. That would be the ideal situation. Otherwise, you'll get unnecessary conversion.

HTH

It depends on how you hook up Helix into your audio interface. If you go out from Helix using the digital outputs, then you only have an A/D conversion from Helix into your DAW. That would be the ideal situation. Otherwise, you'll get unnecessary conversion.

HTH

Assuming you're responding to me.

Actually, The Helix (rack version) would be the audio interface in my situation, replacing my Eleven Rack.  That is why I am talking about over USB. The very reason why I am looking to go this route is to reduce unnecessary conversion.

I was just wondering at this point if the dry track (that is sent over usb) an actual dry track, or not? (and if not... is it a noticeable difference?)

Right, sorry I missed that. If you're hooking the Helix directly into your DAW via USB then you'll still have an A/D conversion done by the converters inside Helix. There's always gonna be an A/D conversion when sending an analog signal, your guitar's in this case, into your DAW. Does this answer your question?

No, lol I know all that. I just want to reduce unnecessary conversion.

I am mainly worried about how dry the dry track actually is that would be sent over usb for recording is affected by this true/not true-bypass.

Basically does this "not a true-by-pass" affect the dry track, in any way, if its is just Guitar to Helix (dry track over usb) to PC?

I really don't care about the by-pass being true, or not. I just want to know if it affects the dry tracking. If it does, then to what affect.

Well, the way you phrased that last question wasn't very clear ("...at this point if the dry track sent over USB an actual dry track, or not?"). You have to admit that could be interpreted differently, especially since you were previously asking about A/D conversion :-). I do believe that the rack version of the Helix has a buffered analog bypass.

EDIT: For clarity sake, what I'm trying to say here is that if you're worried about the signal being negatively affected by the DSP and A/D conversion inside the Helix (which Line 6 has already told you is very transparent), then you do have the option to use the buffered analog bypass output to send to your audio interface (assuming you have one). Makes sense? Or did I still not answer your question?

Well I know I may not have worded it perfectly, but I don't exactly know how to word what I want to find out. 

But I know I will not be getting it at launch, so there will be some time in between when it launches, and my purchase of it. So in that time people who bought it will either complain about it, or not mention it because they didn't notice it, or its good quality.

I know dry track, is supposed to be dry track. But after reading this thread, it got me a little confused if this true-by-pass business has much affect on dry tracking with the Helix itself.

I mentioned A/D conversion only because that is what I thought (to my knowledge) would be the main thing that affects the dry track recording.  I don't mean to confuse, but I didn't think any of it was really that confusing.

The reason why it was confusing is because you are asking about two different things. An effects unit with true bypass, as the word implies, bypasses it (the Helix in this case) completely, so it is as if you don't have it connected into the signal path. In that case you're guitar signal is NOT being processed by the DSP, and definitely not by the A/D converters, of the Helix which means there is no signal degradation, EXCEPT when dealing with long cable runs. So, in order to mitigate the signal loss produced by long cable runs, you need to insert a buffer into your signal chain. As I mentioned earlier, Helix has a buffered analog bypass. This is what the video posted earlier demonstrates. But, so far, we're talking about an analog path.

Now, since you're connecting the Helix via USB into your computer, true bypass or buffered bypass is of no consequence to you. It's only of consequence if you're going from the Helix into another device. Going into your computer via USB requires an A/D conversion, which is done by Helix' converters. Line 6 says that they go down to -123dB, but they gave us no reference or frequency. Hopefully they post the full specs soon with more info on the quality of the converters found in Helix. Like you said, you will have to wait and see how transparent they really are after hearing from others, or trying it out yourself.

HTH

The reason why it was confusing is because you are asking about two different things. An effects unit with true bypass, as the word implies, bypasses it (the Helix in this case) completely, so it is as if you don't have it connected into the signal path. In that case you're guitar signal is NOT being processed by the DSP, and definitely not by the A/D converters, of the Helix which means there is no signal degradation, EXCEPT when dealing with long cable runs. So, in order to mitigate the signal loss produced by long cable runs, you need to insert a buffer into your signal chain. As I mentioned earlier, Helix has a buffered analog bypass. This is what the video posted earlier demonstrates. But, so far, we're talking about an analog path.

Now, since you're connecting the Helix via USB into your computer, true bypass or buffered bypass is of no consequence to you. It's only of consequence if you're going from the Helix into another device. Going into your computer via USB requires an A/D conversion, which is done by Helix' converters. Line 6 says that they go down to -123dB, but they gave us no reference or frequency. Hopefully they post the full specs soon with more info on the quality of the converters found in Helix. Like you said, you will have to wait and see how transparent they really are after hearing from others, or trying it out yourself.

HTH

This is good to know though, I understood some of it already, but it does help clarify a little.

Now this is the exact info I was seeking, especially in the bold!

I was confused if this mattered to me in my situation, or not. I wasn't sure it did, but I am glad you confirmed it doesn't.

I was a little confused myself, and didn't really know if the two different things I was talking about were related in in away in context of my situation. Thank you very much for taking the time to explain this to me.

To DI, yeah it would be rack for me. 

I'm the one who started this thread asking if the Helix was a true bypass unit or not.  My question was immediately answered letting me know that it wasn't a true bypass.  That's cool.

What I should have asked was if I would be able to plug into the Helix without the tone suck.  I'm a gigging musician and I want to use the Helix in 2 ways. 

1. I want to use the Helix live on stage with my Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, using ONLY the effects without the tone suck. 
  2. I want to use it at home with all the amp modeling and effects.  I want to use it to record tracks on my PC and in the recording studio with my band. 

I don't want to spend hours (like I did with my HD500) adjusting my settings, the EQ, the mix, or tweaking this and that just trying to keep the natural sound of my amp for a live show.  I just want to plug it in front of my amp (pre effects only), make some simple adjustments on the Helix for a live situation then BAM!  I'm good! 

Alright.

True Bypass comes from then pedal world due to the fact that some of the older vintage pedals did not have good op amp buffers causing them to suck tone. The cry baby way comes to mind.

A quality buffered in/out which in many high quality pedals have today, does not suck tone but actually improves it by keeping the signal from degrading as the signal path gets longer. If you had a bunch of pedals that were true bypass in series, they would suck tone causing highs to be lost.

Even so many pedal builders offer true bypass because it is harder to convince the masses than to give in and give it.

With all multi effects processors, the thing I look for is Analog pass through. This means the input signal is not altered and digitized but simply buffered and sent through. Most of the rack gear in the late 80's and mid 90's all had this. With high gain tube amps the AD/DA conversion that many multi effects have today, even the high end stuff, screws with the signal and slightly effects the phase. It is most noticeable on high gain settings due to all the harmonic overtones that have to be digitized and then undigitized.

Now with the POD Helix, etc, these units were designed to be used as standalone solutions, amp plus effects etc. so it makes sense everything is digital.

They can be used as the 4 channel method, but that is more of yes you can than a design idea.

I rarely have ever seen amp modelers/FX processors that had Analog Pass through. Now many effects only processors do have analog pass through which makes sense since there is no amp modeling involved. The exception is the G Major, which is a disappointment.

The Rack Helix I am very interested in.

Digital effects are fine because they are effects not the base tone.