Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Available effects

drew_tnbd

Thought I'd have some fun pulling the names of effects from the Sweetwater video. Here is what I got:

Dynamics:

Deluxe Comp
Red Squeeze
LA Studio Comp
Noise Gate
Hard Gate

EQ:

Simple EQ
Low and High Cut
Parametric
10 Band Graphic

Modulation:

Optical Tremolo
60's Bias Tremolo
Script Mod Phase
Ubiquitous Vibe
Gray Flanger
Harmonic Flanger
Courtesan Flanger
Chorus
(more...)

Delay:
Simple Delay
Mod/Chorus Echo
Sweep Echo
Ducked Delay
Transistor Tape
Bucket Brigade
Adriatic Delay
Elephant Man

I do wonder whether they're final options or if the Sweetwater guys were running an older beta firmware, because I'm missing a Reverse Delay - and in the video the delay category didn't have a little down arrow at the bottom of the list, indicating more available options - so I hope that isn't the lot for delay! It must not be really... coz they had the Harmony Delay in all the promo stuff, and it wasn't in the list in the Sweetwater video.

Anyone wanna take a guess at what an Adriatic Delay could be, or the Elephant Man?? My guess is the Adriatic Delay is some kind of huge washy ambient delay and that the Elephant Man is apeing a real world pedal of some kind, possibly a Memory Man - elephant's never forget and all that....
  • Upvote 1

Okay—here we go, one-point-oh:

Input Blocks:

None, Multi (Guitar, Aux, Variax), Guitar, Aux, Variax, Variax Magnetics, Mic, Return 1, Return 2, Return 3, Return 4, Return 1/2, Return 3/4, S/PDIF, USB 3/4, USB 5/6, USB 7/8

Output Blocks:

Multi (1/4", XLR, Digital, USB 1/2), Path 2A, Path 2B, Path 2A+B, 1/4", XLR, Send 1/2, Send 3/4, Digital (S/PDIF, AES/EBU, or L6 LINK), USB 1/2, USB 3/4, USB 5/6

Distortion Models:

Minotaur, Compulsive Drive, Valve Driver, Top Secret OD, Scream 808, Hedgehog D9, Vermin Dist, Arbitrator Fuzz, Triangle Fuzz, Industrial Fuzz, Tycoctavia Fuzz, Megaphone

Dynamics Models:

Deluxe Comp, Red Squeeze, LA Studio Comp, Noise Gate, Hard Gate

EQ Models:

Simple EQ, Low Cut/High Cut, Parametric, 10-Band Graphic

Modulation Models:

Optical Trem, 60s Bias Trem, Script Mod Phase, Ubiquitous Vibe, Gray Flanger, Harmonic Flanger, Courtesan Flange, Chorus, 70s Chorus, Trinity Chorus, Bubble Vibrato, Vibe Rotary, 122 Rotary, 145 Rotary, AM Ring Mod, Pitch Ring Mod

Delay Models:

Simple Delay, Mod Chorus Echo, Multitap 4, Multitap 6, Ping Pong, Sweep Echo, Ducked Delay, Transistor Tape, Harmony Delay, Bucket Brigade, Adriatic Delay, Elephant Man

Reverb Models:

Plate, Room, Chamber, Hall, Echo, Tile, Cave, Ducking, Octo, 63 Spring, Spring, Particle Verb

Pitch/Synth Models:

Pitch Wham, Twin Harmony, 3 Osc Synth

Filter Models:

Mutant Filter

Mystery Filter [Hi, Stilwel—we miss you, brother!]

Wah Models:

UK Wah 846, Teardrop 310, Fassel, Weeper, Chrome, Chrome Custom, Throaty, Vetta Wah, Colorful, Conductor

Volume/Pan Models:

Volume Pedal, Gain, Pan

Send/Return:

Send 1, Send 2, Send 3, Send 4, Send 1/2, Send 3/4, Return 1, Return 2, Return 3, Return 4, Return 1/2, Return 3/4, FX Loop 1, FX Loop 2, FX Loop 3, FX Loop 4, FX Loop 1/2, FX Loop 3/4

Looper:

Mono, Stereo

Split:

Y, A/B, Crossover

Merge:

Mixer

Thanks D.I. Any plans for a clean boost like the Xotic RC Booster? That's a staple for me. Or a Pigtronix Envelope Phaser? One of the best Phasers out there IMO.

I hope this list grows quickly, preferably before launch. It's missing a few things. Like a reverse delay, auto volume, auto wah (tron up/down), seems lacking in phasers, panner (not pan control), lacking in filters (unless the two listed can do a lot). Is there a dimension chorus in there?

I hope this list grows quickly, preferably before launch. It's missing a few things. Like a reverse delay, auto volume, auto wah (tron up/down), seems lacking in phasers, panner (not pan control), lacking in filters (unless the two listed can do a lot). Is there a dimension chorus in there?

Thanks for mentioning the Dimension, it is one of my main "go to" FX on my 500X.

Will the wahs have an auto engage/disengage option?

I don't know for sure, but you could always do what some do now with the pods, which is have the wah mix parameter low enough and assigned to the expression pedal min so that when it's in the heel position the wah is essentially shut off.

FX Loop 1: HD500X

FX Loop 2: Fractal AxeFX II XL+

FX Loop 3: Kemper KPA

FX Loop 4: Eventide H8000FW

Would that be mono in and out, right? Can the loops work as a mono send to a stereo return?

Cheers,

jayson

One gripe I see often from nay sayers when departing the POD HD is "would prefer higher quality and fewer FX over 'too many'" 

It looks as if the higher quality is there but the quantity might not be and this might be for those who'd like to use the new Axe FX board in their loop of the helix or the M9 if you sold your HD 500.

Just summizing here but it is being positioned as a hub and seem to be inviting the use of other products openly and why not! Very smart actually! 

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding the pitch shift effects: are any of these clean enough to use for drop-tune/ virtual capo set ups, or are they just suited for whammy pedal/ harmonizer effects? I used the chromatic shifter in my Kemper quite a bit when I had to play detuned stuff (old Sabbath or whatever) on a guitar in standard tuning.  Will the Helix be able to the same, or am I going to need an EHX Pitchfork or equivalent off the back?

Thanks!

Regarding the pitch shift effects: are any of these clean enough to use for drop-tune/ virtual capo set ups,

I would like to know the answer to this too. I wrote on IdeaScale about a year ago that this is a go / no-go factor for me in deciding to buy the next generation POD. The warble sound on the HD500 is so bad I too have to run a stomp box instead of using the POD pitch shift effect.

• Upvote 2

I would like to know the answer to this too. I wrote on IdeaScale about a year ago that this is a go / no-go factor for me in deciding to buy the next generation POD. The warble sound on the HD500 is so bad I too have to run a stomp box instead of using the POD pitch shift effect.

Yeah, this is a biggie.  I can't call it go/no-go, as I've already gone.   :)  But the Kemper really spoiled me in this regard - they put a lot of work into the pitch-shifting on the KPA, with formant controls and a "smooth chord" setting (probably some kind of harmonic compensation), and so on.  With all of the CPU power on tap in the Helix, I would hope it could do the same, but I worry that Line 6 might neglect this functionality as it overlaps with alternate tunings via Variax.  Kind of a confilict of interest for the marketing department.   :)

Anyway, if we get a "no" on this I'll put it up on IdeaScale and hope for an eventual f/w update...

Is there a proper deluxe memory man model like in the hd500? Is that what mod/chorus echo is, or is that just a digital delay with mod?

Yes, there is a DMM model. It's called "Elephant Man". You can choose either chorus or vibrato modulation modes, and it has a drive parameter for the delay repeats. It sounds pretty sweet.

• 1 month later...

I thought effects were lacking a bit also. I do expect a few more. Especially a phaser or two.. What I wondered was if IR technology would. Like the sale of effects packs or if that technology was limited to cab/amps.

There is one phaser model - the Phase 90, called the "Script Mod Phase" in the list above.

There is one phaser model - the Phase 90, called the "Script Mod Phase" in the list above.

I was a Redwitch Moon Phaser user. Much more natural, though the Phase 90 is ok. I was just hoping for a couple options though admittedly I am in the minority with use of Phasers these days. I realize I could always loop on in but for me I want to eliminate a lot or all of my single stomps.

• Upvote 2

I was a Redwitch Moon Phaser user. Much more natural, though the Phase 90 is ok. I was just hoping for a couple options though admittedly I am in the minority with use of Phasers these days. I realize I could always loop on in but for me I want to eliminate a lot or all of my single stomps.

I think this is one of the stronger points about units like this, despite having all kinds of effects loops. All kinds of appendages hanging off of each other can get rather disorderly - judging from pictures. I'm sure there's lots of people out there that like a simplified setup and less points of failure.

I think this is one of the stronger points about units like this, despite having all kinds of effects loops. All kinds of appendages hanging off of each other can get rather disorderly - judging from pictures. I'm sure there's lots of people out there that like a simplified setup and less points of failure.

Agreed. That is basically my idea. I hope everything in it is high enough quality that I never have to drag my amp and pedal board around. At 53 years old I now just play in church, a very rare event out, and I want to do a some recording without spending a small fortune on racks and pedals. I saw Brit Floyd this past Friday. They use AxeFx. I thought how nice it must be not to worry about amps and pedal boards. I hope this does the same for me.

Twin Harmony and Harmony Delay both have intelligent pitch shifting.

I would like to see intelligent pitch harmony with with two harmonies against the root note that all 12 notes of the scale is user assignable. It appears that you have an Eventide H3000 twin harmony now. I am assuming that it has the user assignable 12 notes like the original unit. Three would be even better. Queen has several songs that solos turn into orchestrations and sounds fantastic.