Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Oh no... what have i done now ...

stevevnicks

im a bit gutted now ... and think i have made a bad newbie mistake ..

i did owned an ibanez S470 for around a year ... that is untill yesterday :/ ... i didnt really try to play the guitar much untill i come across the HD500 which as got me into playing around with my guitar which is a good thing, anyway i have been wanting to change my style of guitar for sometime and to cut a long story short i ended up trading my Ibanez S470 in for an Ibanez ARZIR20FB Iron Label ARZ Series Electric Guitar in Dark Brown Sunburst.

Its a real nice guitar and when i went to the store to collect it i was to embarrassed to play the guitar instore lol, so i sat down and had a little play with the guitar not plugged in lol (oh dea) any i though to myself hmm this feel quite different but i will get used to it.

so i done the trade which was my S470 and a whole lump of cash, i was very happy untill i got home ....

i started to play around on the guitar and soon found that the neck on my old guitar has jumbo frets and this has medium frets, no matter how hard i try i just can not get on with this guitar lol i love the look and style of the guitar but i just can get on with it :/ ...

now i dont know what to do .. am i in my rights to take the guitar back ? its brand new i dont want my money back i just want a guitar i can get along with ... or have i just wasted £650 :( ...

its great being a dumb lollipop newbie :(

Ibanez ARZIR20FB Neck Dimensions

Neck type: ARZ Mahogany set-in neck (smooth heel)

Medium frets

Scale    635mm/25"
     Width at Nut    43mm
     Width at Last Fret    58mm
     Thickness at 1st    20mm

Thickness at 12th    22mm
     Radius    305mmR

using stock .009-.042 strings

ibanez S470 Neck Dimensions

Neck Type: 3pc Wizard II Maple neck
    Frets: Jumbo frets
    Scale: 648mm/25.5"
    Width at Nut: 43mm
    Width at Last Fret: 56mm (at 21 F)
    Thickness at 1st: 19mm
    Thickness at 12th: 21mm
    Radius: 400mmR

using DAddario XL Pure Nickel .010-.045 strings

im surprised as the neck dimensions are similar, also i find the natural postion of my right arm is right at the bridge on this guitar where as on the S470 it was more or less where the Middle Pickup, everything feels to bunched up :(

gutted ... 

ok after around 100 edit's it's not so much the neck now, more the position of my right arm ... i really like this guitar so im trying my hardest to adjust ... just wish i tried the epiphone zakk wylde that was on display (secondhand and £250 cheaper :/ ) to feel the difference ...

post-2194362-0-10443300-1434276009_thumb.jpg

i started to play around on the guitar and soon found that the neck on my old guitar has jumbo frets and this has medium frets, no matter how hard i try i just can not get on with this guitar lol i love the look and style of the guitar but i just can get on with it :/ ...

You live and learn. I think most of my guitars have medium frets and that's what I learned with but I have one that has nice fat silver looking stainless steel frets and man is it buttery smooth, lol. There's a huge difference when it come to frets but with practice the mediums work just fine.

It suck though.....when a deal is made and later you realize what happened. Maybe you can appeal to them. You might get your guitar and money back. Go for it and appeal the deal. What's the worse that can happen.....they say No???

i dont want my old ibanez and cash back ...

What i wanted to start with was an epiphone les paul but with all the fakes floating about and me being the type of person who will only pay for someting when its in my hands my choice is limited

there is not one shop in a 30 mile radius i can find that stock epiphone or les paul guitars and you are very lucky to find one secondhand in a guitar shop where i live, why ? fook knows lol ?

anyway the guitar shop had the ibanez that i bought  for £650 and a secondhand epiphone zakk wylde for £400

after owning the Ibanz S470 and being very happy with the build quality, i thought well at least i know 100% fact the ibanez is not fake and they build good quality guitars from my last experience and i dont really like the paint job on the zakk wylde so i just jumped in head first and bought the Ibanez.

i will phone to explain my newbie issue to find out if i could try the zakk wylde and maybe sort some kind of deal for an exchange and store credit and the zakk wylde if i can get on with that better ..

wonder what my cahnces are ?

The thing im to sure on with the epiphone zakk wylde in the stop is it has passive EMG pickups and i thought the zakk wylde guitars where all fitted with atcive EMG pickups ?

it says the guitar is an 2003 version...

anyone know if epiphone made an zakk wylde with passive EMG pickups as standard ? meaning there is no place to fit an battery in this version.

EDIT

well after abit more playing around with the guitar i have decided to keep it, i have already started to adjust so i am going to stick with it .. i really like the style and wieght of this guitar, although its not very well ballanced very top heavy, when standing up if you let go of the neck it feels like it wants to nose dive lol ...

still i will stick with it as it has a grate sound when plugged into my VK100MKII and my AC30CC2 not so grate with the HD500 though seems the Active EMG pick ups make the HD500 clip quite bad although it can be controlled if i wined the guitar volume down.

anyone know if the HD500 is more suited to passive pickups or should it not make any difference ??

i just remembered my Ibanez Talman (acoustic electric hybrid) has an active pickup and that works grate with the HD500, maybe its the EMG active pickups are more powerful? it uses an EMG 60 and an EMG 81

EDIT

:/ it was not the EMG active pick ups causing the HD500 to clip ..... it was my MG16XU mixer clipping because i had the input levels set to high :)

• 4 weeks later...

If you play with any frequency, the frets will eventually need replacing anyway...you can grind and polish a couple of times to deal with fret-wear, but eventually they have to go...if you have no other issues with the guitar, you could always bite the bullet and have it re-fretted now with whatever size wire makes you comfortable. The money will eventually get spent anyway....

If you play with any frequency, the frets will eventually need replacing anyway...you can grind and polish a couple of times to deal with fret-wear, but eventually they have to go...if you have no other issues with the guitar, you could always bite the bullet and have it re-fretted now with whatever size wire makes you comfortable. The money will eventually get spent anyway....

I don't think the people that spend $200 on a chinese guitar typically grasp the $100-200 yearly maintenance that guitars should be given, and then bigger items like changing frets --- just buy a new guitar. 

I see these ads all the time and people say "fresh set of strings, and it was set up by a professional" 

Dude, that stuff isn't a selling point. That should be done consistently. Like changing the oil in your car, you just do it.

I mean, I am going to take your fresh setup to my guy and have him do a setup the way I like anyhow. 

They just don't get it. 

• Upvote 1

The only problem you made is not plugging the guitar in at the store. You have nothing to be ashamed of. The vast majority of the people who shop from guitars are not pro level. Most can only play a chord or two.

When I was first buying guitars I only knew a couple of simple riffs. I played every one of them each time I demoed a guitar. I am glad I took the time to get over my stage fright otherwise I would have likely purchased some really crappy guitars. 

I assume by now you have adjusted to the new hand position. The stop tail bar with 2 pick up tends to lend itself to your wrist laying on the bar. But if you used to a tremolo guitar it feels truly strange.