Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

the Helix, my opinion

kreator1972

The Helix looks promising and very cool, but am I the only one here that is disappointed that the LCD will not be a touch screen ? And no wifi support ? Could have been cool to be able to control the beast with a android or iphone

I hope they at least nake very good computer software to edit the settings and presets, because this time I intend to get the floorboard version instead of the the rack but I hate to have to crouch or bend over to change the settings

Just my two cents..

I'm sure you're not the only one. I'm one that just says, eh, about wireless remote control. If they did it, it would have to be wifi because they said there are a lot of parameters to sync up and blootooth would be way way too slow. But I suppose they could have made a usb host interface on the device, and then an addon wifi usb stick type of thingy. Probably would have jacked the cost up a bit.

Touch screen, I think, would be clunky with a device like this. People's big hands and fat fingers might get in the way of seeing exactly what's being adjusted.

The computer software is where it's at for me. I hope they do a really good job on this too. The possibilities for extended control beyond what the device's interface can do can be increased greatly.

I like the idea of the rack version, since it would sit in a studio setting all the time, but it just might not be worth an extra $500 plus ~$100 for an expression pedal. Plus, the controller for the rack version I've noticed has a damn wall wart!

You can edit it hands free using the footswitches. And there will be software.

I personally wouldn't want either of those things you requested. Just not worth it given the likely change in cost and their limited usefulness to me.

• Upvote 2

I am not sure how I would feel about a touch screen for something that you step on. 

We already have Mr Clown Shoes (sorry, don't remember the name, just the story) stepping on things he wasn't meant to step on. What if he was stepping on the screen changing settings when he was just changing a patch? 

I think my signature states how I feel about using EDIT on Android, lol. 

But, I don't know if I would want wi-fi. 

Just a standard wired connection should be fine -- maybe support for an external wifi adaptor that connects via usb would be better than internal. 

I see too many issues arising from an open wifi connection. 

• Upvote 1

One of the first Helix UI/UX designs had a touchscreen. We tested it, and touch footswitches ended up being way faster and more elegant in practice.

Developing and maintaining both desktop and mobile editors would be a massive undertaking. We asked tons of people, and 100% said something akin to "Well, it'd be nice to have both, but if I had to pick, definitely Mac/PC."

• Upvote 5

• 3 weeks later...

One of the first Helix UI/UX designs had a touchscreen. We tested it, and touch footswitches ended up being way faster and more elegant in practice.

Developing and maintaining both desktop and mobile editors would be a massive undertaking. We asked tons of people, and 100% said something akin to "Well, it'd be nice to have both, but if I had to pick, definitely Mac/PC."

So editing software for pc/mac confirmed?

I am so excited about the rackmount Helix. I'd like to see some demos of it for current progressive metal. I suggest sending one of these units to Keith Merrow and having him demo it. TONS of people watch his videos as he's a well respected member of the progressive metal community and he is known for demoing units. People go to his youtube just to see gear in action. Just a suggestion!

• Upvote 1

So editing software for pc/mac confirmed?

Yes, but the full editor portion of the Helix app will be out a bit later than the librarian and IR loader portions. The good news is that it's actually easier to edit from the hardware than it is the editor. Naming presets and custom scribble strips is the only thing that's faster from a computer.

If you're already recording into a DAW, it makes sense to use the editor because it's already in your sightline. Other that that (and IR loading,  backing up your presets, and firmware updates), there's isn't an overly compelling reason to hook up a computer at all.

I am using the Firehawk now and although the iPad interface is nice. I am not sure it is something that is a deal breaker for me on the Helix if I decide to drop that kind of money on a unit. The user interface look pretty good from the videos I have scene, I guess we will know when we get it in the fall. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, but the full editor portion of the Helix app will be out a bit later than the librarian and IR loader portions. The good news is that it's actually easier to edit from the hardware than it is the editor. Naming presets and custom scribble strips is the only thing that's faster from a computer.

If you're already recording into a DAW, it makes sense to use the editor because it's already in your sightline. Other that that (and IR loading,  backing up your presets, and firmware updates), there's isn't an overly compelling reason to hook up a computer at all.

I haven't been this excited about new hardware in a long time!

• Upvote 1