Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How can I get the quality of Pod HD headphones in my recording?

sijan92

I am using Pod HD500x and Audio Technica M50x headphones. If I connect my headphones directly to the Pod HD 500, the sound I get is amazing. However, when I use the Pod for recording with USB and listen to the sound of he monitor of DAW with PodHd500X being the output, it is not that great and the quality drops a lot. How can I get the sound of Pod HD 500 (the one I get directly from headphones) into my recording? I can't seem to prevent the quality from dropping. 

There's a few different reasons this could be happening. What are your levels at for channel volume, recording input and the master volume on the POD itself? Are you dual tracking with hard pans? What is the frequency response of your headphones?

I am using Pod HD500x and Audio Technica M50x headphones. If I connect my headphones directly to the Pod HD 500, the sound I get is amazing. However, when I use the Pod for recording with USB and listen to the sound of he monitor of DAW with PodHd500X being the output, it is not that great and the quality drops a lot. How can I get the sound of Pod HD 500 (the one I get directly from headphones) into my recording? I can't seem to prevent the quality from dropping. 

Two things are going on...

1) Everything that you play through is gonna color the tone one way or the other. Doesn't matter if it's headphones, studio monitors, or an amp/cab set-up. You may have to tweak some patches through your studio monitors to get the sound you're looking for.

...but even if you do that

2) One the guitars are in the mix with other instruments, everything changes anyway. Sometimes you're gonna have to "fix it in the mix", as they say.

Really hard to guess without anything but a description of "lower quality" audio...

anyhoo, the only thing(s) I can think of would be maybe the recording setting(s) for bit depth is set to 16 bits and/or maybe the sample rate is dialed back to 44.1K...When you record USB and listen on your headphones, the playback should sound nearly the same as live if you are recording 24 bit @ 48K and assuming you are running decent levels....The difference between 44.1 and 48K is noticeable at 16 bits....I say check your recording settings and make sure you are set for 24 bit and 48K sample rate...

Really hard to guess without anything but a description of "lower quality" audio...

anyhoo, the only thing(s) I can think of would be maybe the recording setting(s) for bit depth is set to 16 bits and/or maybe the sample rate is dialed back to 44.1K...When you record USB and listen on your headphones, the playback should sound nearly the same as live if you are recording 24 bit @ 48K and assuming you are running decent levels....The difference between 44.1 and 48K is noticeable at 16 bits....I say check your recording settings and make sure you are set for 24 bit and 48K sample rate...

That's very strange... There shouldn't be an audible difference between 44.1 and 48kHz sample rates for anyone without superhuman >20kHz hearing. If you hear a noticeable difference on your setup, there's probably something in your sound card or OS that's doing poor quality sample rate conversion, and introducing artifacts.

As far as the original poster, my first inclination is a volume difference that's being heard as a quality difference.

That's very strange... There shouldn't be an audible difference between 44.1 and 48kHz sample rates for anyone without superhuman >20kHz hearing. If you hear a noticeable difference on your setup, there's probably something in your sound card or OS that's doing poor quality sample rate conversion, and introducing artifacts.

As far as the original poster, my first inclination is a volume difference that's being heard as a quality difference.

If your tracks are recorded 16 bit, 44.1K rate and -12 db peaks so that you have a dynamic range of 84db and you are happy with that, then more power to you sir... :P

When you say you are using usb is this one of the usb ports on your PC or is it a usb interface. If it is a interface try putting the pod out stereo into 2 xlr/jack sockets on the interface and see if this helps with the sound.

I tried both Pod's usb and an audio interface as well (UR22). The quality drops in both cases. I used only one xlr though in mono. If I use 2 xlrs on the interface as stereo, will my sound get better? 

This is what I think is happening. My tracks ALWAYS play back quieter then the output of the POD direct.

Yea I know there is a diffe

Yea I know there is a difference in level. In recording, I cranked up the Pod's master volume to max in order to match with the direct line. Even in same volume, the quality is relatively bad in recording. Maybe it has something to do with the AD conversion? 

What are your peaks hitting on the recorded track in your DAW? It depends on the software your using but most seem to recommend -12db to -10db for the input level. As far as I know when recording direct through the POD's USB the master volume knob on the unit itself doesn't affect the input volume on the recorded track, that's your channel volume on the patch itself. The master volume on POD's direct USB recording is basically just the monitor level you hear through the headphones or speakers you have connected to it.

If I use 2 xlrs on the interface as stereo, will my sound get better? 

Yes as you will be listening in stereo just like you do when listening on headphones. Are you listening on decent studio powered monitors connected to the interface not the PC? Or have you tried connecting your headphones into the interface when the Pod is connected with 2 xlr's if you do this and the sound is the same quality as plugging into the pod then this points the problem to your monitors. It is worth checking all these variables to eliminate the cause.