Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I Pre-Ordered

robbieb61

I preordered mine on Friday. Can't wait. I am also on the Fractal FX8 waitlist but looks like I'll be passing on that when I get my emal. The Helix is just what I've been looking for. I've always been a big Line 6 FX supporter. I had most of the old modeling stompboxes. I still have an M13 on my large pedalboard which I love. Haven't been to keen on Line 6 amp modeling for awhile now. Hopeing that blows me away too.

• Upvote 1

It's on my wishlist at Sweetwater buy I haven't pre-ordered yet.  I think I've figured out a way to get it for approx. $1365 though.  Sweetwater is offering this deal on their gift certificates where they'll add 10% to the gift certificate total.  Of course, if you go this route, you can rule out financing (unless you're using a credit card to buy the gift certificate).

It's on my wishlist at Sweetwater buy I haven't pre-ordered yet.  I think I've figured out a way to get it for approx. $1365 though.  Sweetwater is offering this deal on their gift certificates where they'll add 10% to the gift certificate total.  Of course, if you go this route, you can rule out financing (unless you're using a credit card to buy the gift certificate).

Does Sweetwater require full payment up front to pre-order? 

FYI, for anyone curious - yes you can preorder with Sweetwater and choose the three-payment option. They do not charge your card until the order ships, HOWEVER, the first payment will be $785.77, followed by two payments of $362.11..

I think that caught me off guard before; if it's over a certain dollar amount, they don't do equal payments.

Anyway, Sweetwater preorder in for me too! Time to work alot of overtime, be insanely frugal (no more taking the tollroads to work!), and sell some extra gear.. If anyone has any suggestions for best place to sell gear, I am all ears - contemplating Reverb.com currently. I have some gear that needs to be 'local pickup only', other stuff I can ship no problem. Craigslist is always so sketchy; thus far all my purchasing experiences on Reverb have been excellent.. Here's to hoping selling will work out just as well!

:)

Dang, if I had the spare cash I would probably pre-order also. As much as I try to make myself wait for a new product to go through the teething stages I often end up not being able to wait.

-Max

They don't charge up front; pre-order just gets you on the list. Though either way, mid-August isn't that far off! If I hadn't already used my Sweetwater card to get a PRS S2, I'd probably just put it on there. They do the 24 months no interest financing; for the Helix that puts you around $65/month. 

what are your thought about the lack of DT compatibility?

I am reserving judgement at this point.  I am hoping the FRFR capabilities will be good enough that I won't need the DT...  It will make my rig so much easier to lug around...  That said, the abilities are all still there with minor workarounds.  Just use a midi cable with the L6 link.  I couldn't care less about the configuration stuff for multiple DT's since that will never affect me but if you are one of the few that really use that, I can see it being a disappointment.

The routing choices and the 8X8 USB are exciting.  If things pan out I anticipate not needing a mixer anymore, being able to play a track in a DAW on my laptop sending stereo to the main outs on the Helix while also sending a click track to a separate path with the guitar being fed to both the click track and the main outs.  That gives the full signal to the PA and sends me a personal mix for my in ears using a Helix FX send.  Hopefully be able to record the whole thing at the same time with no other connections too.  And I can create templates to make it all so much easier to setup. 

what are your thought about the lack of DT compatability?

I'm not sure yet what I'm gonna think.

The reason being...I usually end up changing the topography to one I like "better" with the amp models, and then saving it in the preset.

But since the DT makes a weird "pop" noise when you change topography...I generally set up the same topography for every amp model that I'm using in a live situation. Just sounds more fluid and natural anyway when you are a guitarist onstage in a live band to have the same sort of amp instead of a bunch of different topographies.

So, for me...I'm thinking that I will set up the topography on the DT to suit my main crunch and lead sound. Then I'll simply adjust the sound of my "fender clean with hair" to match that topography until it's pleasing to my ears.

That's really all most of us would use for a live band anyway. A good crunch sound, a good lead sound, and a nice Fender-y "clean" with some hair on it. Then add effects. 

Now in the studio...yeah I use everything then. lol

And I'll just change the topography accordingly then.

• Upvote 1

Well, there's a lot of debate about how good the sound and features are or aren't or whether it will compete directly with the Fractal & Kemper units, but I really like the feature set. I haven't heard enough of the sounds to make a valid judgement based on the tones, but I couldn't resist & did a pre-order through WWBW. They have a 20% ($300) discount that ends tomorrow, and seeing as how it won't ship for a couple of months, I have a little time to hear what comes out between now and then, so for right now, I'm in.

I'm hoping I don't really see or hear anything that's an absolute deal killer for me, but I really like what I've seen so far as far as features. The price is at the top edge of what I can spend (better with 20% off!), but that being the case, there's really no way I can justify another $500 or $1000 to get into a Fractal or Kemper, so that's a moot point for me.

So far, it looks like it should be a quantum leap above the HD500X, and a lot easier to dial in using the interface, which was always a downside of the HD500 for me. I just didn't like editing on the HD's UI in a live situation, and that made fine tuning live less than a smooth process. I did do some editing live but I'm just not a big fan of the HD onboard UI. The software made it so much easier to visualize what was going on. I really like the look of the new interface, and hopefully it's more intuitive and works better for me.

• Upvote 1

Well, there's a lot of debate about how good the sound and features are or aren't or whether it will compete directly with the Fractal & Kemper units, but I really like the feature set. I haven't heard enough of the sounds to make a valid judgement based on the tones, but I couldn't resist & did a pre-order through WWBW. They have a 20% ($300) discount that ends tomorrow, and seeing as how it won't ship for a couple of months, I have a little time to hear what comes out between now and then, so for right now, I'm in.

I'm hoping I don't really see or hear anything that's an absolute deal killer for me, but I really like what I've seen so far as far as features. The price is at the top edge of what I can spend (better with 20% off!), but that being the case, there's really no way I can justify another $500 or $1000 to get into a Fractal or Kemper, so that's a moot point for me.

So far, it looks like it should be a quantum leap above the HD500X, and a lot easier to dial in using the interface, which was always a downside of the HD500 for me. I just didn't like editing on the HD's UI in a live situation, and that made fine tuning live less than a smooth process. I did do some editing live but I'm just not a big fan of the HD onboard UI. The software made it so much easier to visualize what was going on. I really like the look of the new interface, and hopefully it's more intuitive and works better for me.

Thanks so much for this info on the 20% off. I already preordered mine from MF. I did an online chat with my MF rep and he matched the 20% so I got mine preordered now for $1199.99 now too.

Thanks so much for this info on the 20% off. I already preordered mine from MF. I did an online chat with my MF rep and he matched the 20% so I got mine preordered now for $1199.99 now too.

Glad I could give you that info in time for you to take advantage of it. $300 off is a nice discount - makes it a lot easier to afford than the $1500 list price.

Im very interested in this device but would NEVER pre order it without hearing what it sounds like. Yes I know return policies make things easier, but it still costs $ to ship things back to vender.

• Upvote 1

Im very interested in this device but would NEVER pre order it without hearing what it sounds like. Yes I know return policies make things easier, but it still costs $ to ship things back to vender.

I pre-ordered after watching (and hearing) the video of it being used from Sweetwater.

It sounded fantastic. And the way it was able to be used was incredible. I've been considering the Kemper...but when I saw this, I decided to jump on it.

I am the same about pre ordering without actually checking it out.

When it comes to selling product any company will tell you or imply anything

to make a sale. It is their livelihood afterall.

When I first checked out the Helix videos I thought it was a makeover of the same HD modelling applied to a new processor

resulting in greater headroom. 

While it has dual processors one as applied to the OS the other the modelling.

I am sure this alone is a big plus but I have since also learned from the FAQs that the modelling is mostly from the ground up.

While I am happy with my HD500 I dont intend swapping it out unless there is a modelling quality improvement which is discernable. None of this psychoacoustical interpretation of better quality. (I bought this new better looking unit and to my ears it sounds better) None of that. 

I want an across the boards actual sound quality improvement and just better pre amps, converters and operating system bit resolution and increased headroom  should pull that off by a near 5% improvement which will probably have me me buying it.

A 25% sound improvement is a totally unreal expectation.

A 10% sound improvement is probably the ballpark that would be a very stiff  target to achieve.

Baring in mind that the line of improvement in sound quality is exponential it'l show up in the nuances and feel. 5% across the boards will be discernable to any ear.

10% will be mind blowingly obvious and above anything now avaialable

And unresistable. 

I second that

Also the second version is always better, I will wait for helixX (as hd500x) lol

Or stable software release(bug corrections since I still see bugs on pod hd500...)

And knowledge / workaround base improvement

Pre ordered a couple days ago...

Not getting rid of my Kemper, but I want to go simple again for most gigs with just a pedal box and some

sort of amplification versus Kemper, footpedal, and amp.  It will be nice to have both... takes care of those

"let me change up again" urges.  LoL!