Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

ENGL Powerball V ANGL Pre

harwood_rocks

Here's a quick test I did to show how close the model of the ENGL really is!

ENGL tone is all ENGL with a tube screamer provided by the hd500.  The ANGL pre tone is the hd500 model through the ENGL power amp via the fx return with a tube screamer again . Both running into my 4x12. Amp and model EQ'S matched and cab sim turned off. Output set to stack power amp. 

Very close I reckon, close enough for me to leave the ENGL at home for some gigs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Svt7izUSySw&app=desktop

• Upvote 2

Sounds the same to me. It is cool you were able to isolate just the ANGL preamp. Sounds like Line6 did a good job of replicating the preamp of the ENGL.

For all the students taking a science class out there, the ANGL preamp was the independent variable in this experiment.

Very nice! Thanks for sharing it!

I have one question though: How was the EQ section and the Cab DEP parameters set up on the Pod HD? And which parameters did you tweak in the power amp of your ENGL Powerball and how did you set them?

ENGL tone is all ENGL with a tube screamer provided by the hd500.  The ANGL pre tone is the hd500 model through the ENGL power amp via the fx return with a tube screamer again .

ENGL tone is all ENGL with a tube screamer provided by the hd500.  The ANGL pre tone is the hd500 model through the ENGL power amp via the fx return with a tube screamer again .

Very close I reckon, close enough for me to leave the ENGL at home for some gigs!

Sounded exactly the same to me. Just goes to show how the HD500 alone into FOH can be all that's needed. Good One!

Sounded exactly the same to me. Just goes to show how the HD500 alone into FOH can be all that's needed. Good One!

That's not my impression if I understand harwood_rocks demo. He did not create a patch and feed it into an FRFR system. He only changed the ENGL preamp to the ANGL preamp. All the rest of his gear is required. No?

Exactly. It sounds near enough for me to leave the ENGL at home for some gigs.

I'm not gigging but I just got done a loooong Metal Jam with Schecter Omen 8 into a Valve King II 20 MH with 4 CM/HD500 and used 16 Ohm Eminence Speaker in a Jet City JCA12S+ Closed Cab. Maaaaaan, It was totally inspiring me to play and I just couldn't stop, lol. An hour and a half later I'm finally getting a cup of coffee. Next up Going to hook up stereo with the DT50.

That's not my impression if I understand harwood_rocks demo. He did not create a patch and feed it into an FRFR system. He only changed the ENGL preamp to the ANGL preamp. All the rest of his gear is required. No?

Your right about how he rigged it but I think he'll be able to replicate what he wants if not he'll just have to take that Giant stack with 'em. :)

The idea of the test was to test how well the ENGL preamp is replicated by the ANGL model. By keeping everything the same except the preamp a good idea of how they compare can be heard.

I use the ANGL model with a stand alone guitar power amp through a guitar 2x12 or 4x12 if i am not using my actual ENGL Head.

• Upvote 1

I'm not gigging but I just got done a loooong Metal Jam with Schecter Omen 8 into a Valve King II 20 MH with 4 CM/HD500 and used 16 Ohm Eminence Speaker in a Jet City JCA12S+ Closed Cab. Maaaaaan, It was totally inspiring me to play and I just couldn't stop, lol. An hour and a half later I'm finally getting a cup of coffee. Next up Going to hook up stereo with the DT50.

I have a Jet city 24S+ which has the same eminence speakers in. I have been a massive fan of those speakers for a long time!

Here is another video with the ENGL and the jet city cabs. The HD500 was providing compressor, Hard Gate and tube screamer.

LOL, That was kinda funny and serious at the same time! Hahahaaha. Awesome Vid Man! Don't take that the wrong way. Your facial expressions says it all Man!