Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix No DSP Limit???

alexdreamworld

I open the question that kills the helix has a limitation in terms of effects, because users no longer want I personally think no one wants the famous DSP LIMIT OVER !!! who had the pod or Hd HD version X.

Especially when buying a device that is intended to boosted creativity.

IMG_1995.jpg

everything has a DSP limit.  With dual processors it seems you are much less likely to run into the problem in normal use.

However, D.I. does state that with 4 parallel paths and 32 FX blocks it is possible.  If you really think that is a reason not to buy it then I don't know what to tell you...

• Upvote 1

Every device has a DSP limit. Most manufacturers design their devices in a constrained and limited fashion so that the DSP limit is never reached. Line 6 has designed the Helix to use dynamic DSP allocation like the HD500/Pro/Desktop devices. That means DSP allocation is in the users's control, not the designers'.

The difference with Helix is that the device also actively monitors DSP usage and inhibits the selection of FX/Amp models that would exceed the limit. So instead of the message that you get with the HD series, Helix will simply grey out the unavaialbe selections. YOu will never see the message, but there could be times when you can't select certain options. Of course, with the static DSP allocation used by other manufacturers those selections wouldn't be available in the first place.

For instance, in the POD HD300/400 series (using static DSP allocation) you never see the message. Nor do you have dual-path processing. Nor can you assign both a Comp and a Stomp FX in the same preset. And, strangely, the Spring Reverb FX is not in the Reverb category.

All that said, the amount of available DSP in the Helix is more than twice that available in the most powerful Pod HD devices.

It's still great that you're telling me this means that the Dsp has a limit.

I had the axe FX II awhile for a year if no limit creativity.

Apparently the architecture of the helix or at least 2 processors that uses the Fractal Audio axe FX II.

So certainly if architecture is not the same that means that there li possibilities Access has a limit on the Line 6 Helix from what you tell me.

Well, the Axe FX II also has its limit. Of course, along with the price, the limit is high. And the design ensures that the user never sees the limit. It also ensures that there is unused DSP capacity in every preset.

Let's wait until we see what it takes for Helix to reach its limit before judging whether it will be restrictive in practical terms. Helix will certainly permit more 'creativity' than the Pod HD series, and (I expect, again based on price) still less than the Axe. I'm sure Fractal hopes so.

• Upvote 1

OK, until the infinite DSP is invented there will always be a limit - do you just think you can go on and on forever? Does you home computer allow you to keep loading more and more programs or does it reach a point where it all falls over?

There are two ways any device can be made:

1. Limits on architecture and structure. This will mean no DSP limit messages but will mean You work within the limits the manufacturer has decided upon.

2. No limits on architecture which means the user can just keep adding stuff in any configuration until they run out of DSP. That's when you get the error. Some intelligence is required when using this type of system.

My Scope DSP system has 18 Sharc chips (mix of old and new) and that is very powerful. But because they allow the user complete flexibility of routing and loading of any number of devices I can reach a DSP limit even with that.

Reminder I ask a question and not an attack since I have the pod hd pro x and the Firehawk.

So I inevitably ask myself.

I don't see anyone attacking you here, but there is a lot of helpful information here axplaining how the Helix works.  I got a lot out of this thread.

The good news is that you'll require fewer blocks than before. Each input block has its own noise gate, the mic pre has its own dedicated low cut filter, the mixer has a polarity invert for path B, most effects blocks have output levels, most time-based effects have mix parameters, dual cabs can be used after single amps, Global EQ can be assigned to just the 1/4" outs or just the XLRs (or both), and the cabs and many other effects have low and high cut filters.

WOW!  That is a huge improvement right there... there are a lot of layers to this onion...  :D