Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

ideascale request: true bypass and analog dry through - please vote!!!

rudomat

Not to be a downer, but this would require a hardware change wouldn't it? I don't think such a thing is possible at this point.

Exactly my thoughts. It's not that true bypass and analog dry through are the kind of things that go unadverted after years of development. If it's not there at the moment, I don't see it happening.

The rack version will have an analog dry through, won't it? maybe not, maybe it will pass through a/d and d/a converters anyway

Could someone answer this question from the other thread?

True bypass makes sense in something like M9 or M13, but a product like Helix? I mean, what are you going to do when 18 of 27 blocks are assigned to 10 switches, some in opposite bypass states? Turn as many off with the switches as you can, and then manually select each of the remaining blocks and press the BYPASS button? And then pray that none of the Delays, Reverbs, or FX Loops have their Trails parameters on?

Could someone answer this question from the other thread?

True bypass makes sense in something like M9 or M13, but a product like Helix? I mean, what are you going to do when 18 of 27 blocks are assigned to 10 switches, some in opposite bypass states? Turn as many off with the switches as you can, and then manually select each of the remaining blocks and press the BYPASS button? And then pray that none of the Delays, Reverbs, or FX Loops have their Trails parameters on?

i don´t really get what you´re saying here and i´ve also got no idea how this is technically done, but what  i want is a true bypass from the first main input to the amp send...the fractal audio fx8 has got this feature, maybe ask there...?

post-49760-0-18245200-1434464919_thumb.jpg

Do you even know what true bypass means? Why are you clamouring for something you don't really understand? I don't mean to be rude, I just can't wrap my head around it. The FX8 supposedly has true bypass because it's meant to be more tailored to what you seem to be looking for; a effects only solution. The helix has way more going on with it so a/d converters are the way to go. Are you really going to run a state of the art 1500$ unit for a couple of stomp boxes? If you want to run past it, put it in a loop switcher and switch away when you want bypass. That's what the pros do.

Do you even know what true bypass means? Why are you clamouring for something you don't really understand? I don't mean to be rude, I just can't wrap my head around it. The FX8 supposedly has true bypass because it's meant to be more tailored to what you seem to be looking for; a effects only solution. The helix has way more going on with it so a/d converters are the way to go. Are you really going to run a state of the art 1500$ unit for a couple of stomp boxes? If you want to run past it, put it in a loop switcher and switch away when you want bypass. That's what the pros do.

yes, you are rude and unrespectfull...yes, i´ve got enough experience with such things...i´ve just overflew the fx8 manual...why shouldn´t i believe what they´re writing...and they write "true bypass"!...yes - like many, many others, i´d be willing to replace my very heavy, big and expensive, but very, very transparent sounding pedalboard incl. switcher etc. by helix...yes, i´m earning my money by playing guitar professionally...so - yes, i think your answer is not very proliferous, sorry...but thanks for the explanation, how pros do it...

• Downvote 1

• 4 months later...

I'm a hd 500 owner, ( thinking about an helix upgrade) , my disappoiment with the hd is that when I want to use it as a effect unit with the amp the signal is colored, with every output setting.

is the same with helix? it would be nice to have a neutral signal when the amp sim is off...is not about true bypass..

hope I've been clear...

Bearing in mind that people often forget when using true bypass that the extra cable between their effect and the amp then causes loss of high-frequencies. See the article by Pete Cornish as to whether true bypass is really a good thing or not. Any "tone suck" is often caused by comparing the guitar plugged directly into the amp, to the same guitar and same cable, plugged into an effect, then an additional cable going from the effect to the amp. With true bypass, the capacitance of each cable contributes significantly to loss of high frequencies/sound coloration.

I'm a hd 500 owner, ( thinking about an helix upgrade) , my disappoiment with the hd is that when I want to use it as a effect unit with the amp the signal is colored, with every output setting.

is the same with helix? it would be nice to have a neutral signal when the amp sim is off...is not about true bypass..

hope I've been clear...

The Helix is very transparent. It uses top of the line converters, and I don't notice any tone suck with mine in front of my amp or in the 4CM.

• Upvote 1

I understand.., but I  hear no tone suck with the hd too...it's more  like a different sound, not better or worse..just different. .because the direct out  modify slighly the tone...( with my m9 doesn't happens, I know is a different gear but still digital)

I don't know the out parameters of helix, if are like 500 it's a missed opportunity for line6..or maybe I'm the only one that hear that difference

The Helix is very transparent. It uses top of the line converters, and I don't notice any tone suck with mine in front of my amp or in the 4CM.

I have to agree. And it's a first for me. Gazillion of pedals and amps behind me, incl. Bogner 100B and Friedman BE100 just to nsme a few. Running Helix with my Ampete One now and I can't even tell Helix is there. It sounds perfect, and I thought that was impossible for any digital effect.

I have to agree. And it's a first for me. Gazillion of pedals and amps behind me, incl. Bogner 100B and Friedman BE100 just to nsme a few. Running Helix with my Ampete One now and I can't even tell Helix is there. It sounds perfect, and I thought that was impossible for any digital effect.

Same here.  

A decade or so ago I made a compact little pedal that I call "Truth".  

23kyf6b.jpg

I consider it the ultimate bypass pedal.   In the mouse mouser box there are  four 1/4" jacks and a Carling 3PDT stomp switch.  Note that there's not even an LED..  I now use this pedal solely to test the transparency or color of anything in my signal chain, be-it cables, pedals, multi effects boxes, etc.

My standard test is 1) set stuff up at unity gain 2) set all the effects off in a unit 3) play, stomping on it intermittently, until I don't know at all whether said device is in the loop or not.   Helix passes this test just fine.   Really, most gear these days does.  Usually If I can tell something's not right, it turns out to be a cable!

Another thing to watch out for - Helix has a variable impedance, which by default is set to match whichever pedal is first in your chain.  The impedance of your first pedal, bypassed or not, will have a HUGE impact on tone.  It's really worth studying op on this if you don't already know it and are serious about your tone.   

Hope this help!