Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax Midi Out with Helix

kslight

I suspect hes asking if through some magic the Helix could perform "Guitar to MIDI" conversion -  so existing JTV Variax's could drive MIDI Tone Modules. Not really possible as the VDI interface does not provide 6 separate string channels    

For example, like a Roland hex guitar synth pickup, Fishman Triple Play…MIDI note data and such.  

If one could separate the audio output per string, as I'm assuming internally already happens within the guitar.

I suspect hes asking if through some magic the Helix could perform "Guitar to MIDI" conversion -  so existing JTV Variax's could drive MIDI Tone Modules. Not really possible as the VDI interface does not provide 6 separate string channels    

Ah, that's no fun.

How can Workbench custom tune individual strings if there are not 6 separate string channels? Just asking, I don't really know.

It's already been posted at Ideascale (by me, among others), suggesting that, given the bridge and the DSPs already in both the variaxes and the pods, they can be made to perform as guitar to midi converters. Maybe it's too much programming, too much repurposing. 

I would like to get rid of the ugly GK-3 pickups on my variaxes, but I suppose it's not gonna be this time, not yet.

The main conversion would have to be on the Variax where the six strings are individually available - the Helix/Pod part would just be routing from VDI to MIDI ports

I know that the Variax can do pitch detection on a string by string basis - because that is how Virtual Capo works, but that isn't exactly an instant process.  If this was every to be implemented I would expect that it would be a MIDI Guitar mode where you get Variax Mags and MIDI but not Models

• Upvote 1