Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone with JTV69 Nut Removal Experience?

The nut that came on my new 69 was bad in a couple slots and couldn't be fixed properly so I bought a couple of "official Line 6 graphtec replacement nut parts for the JTV69" from Full Compass.

I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with removing and replacing the nut on this guitar. Is it glued? Does it just need a couple light taps from the side to loosen? If glued, what kind of glue would one use for the replacement?

Thanks

I haven't done this on the JTV69, but certainly have on the older 600, and also now on two strat clones I transferred the guts of the 600 and a 300 into.

It certainly shouldn't be glued to the point of it not being removable. It is a very tight slot, and minimal glue would have been used. When you think about it, a really tight slot, and only having downward pressure from the strings (effectively holding it in place), makes sense that minimal glue would be used.

Light taps with a slot screwdriver (alternating sides, just til any glue holding it, has it's seal broken), then make the taps upward angled, to lift the nut instead of trying to slide it all the way across the slot. Once you have it up enough on one end, easing said screwdriver under will help to lever it out.

I replaced mine with graphtech nuts, and had to sand the underside of the new ones a little at a time so the height matched the ones I removed. I didn't mess with the slots - just used them pre-slotted as they came from the factory.

I just used a couple of dabs of wood glue to hold it in place.

I have lots of experience with JTV's.

A couple dabs of white glue. Take a photo and post it here,

when you're done if you could.

Try when I get to it. Gotta lot on my plate for a bit. :)

Earvana?  I'll have a look if the two I already bought are duds, lol

Try when I get to it. Gotta lot on my plate for a bit. :)

Earvana?  I'll have a look if the two I already bought are duds, lol

Just beware of the potential consequences of such an awsome undertaking. You may want to consider an earthquake retro-fit on the house, and some extra flood insurance first. I understand Allstate has a new unmbrella policy that covers being smited by the Almighty for "failure to seek out an authorized service center". :P

I know some people are not sold on Earvana and I tried it with skepticism but it worked perfect for me. I worked and worked on proper setup and tuning with several luthiers and when we finally decided to try that it was a last resort. May not work for everyone in every situation, but for me I am very happy.

Popped the 'old' new one out, and the new new on in. Ahhh, who's zoomin who.... these necks blow, new nut or not.

Who is James Tyler and why the heck was he allowed anywhere near a piece of wood?

I doubted those who complained about this neck. Gotta get a replacement. What an incompetently designed P.O.S. :P

Popped the 'old' new one out, and the new new on in. Ahhh, who's zoomin who.... these necks blow, new nut or not.

Who is James Tyler and why the heck was he allowed anywhere near a piece of wood?

I doubted those who complained about this neck. Gotta get a replacement. What an incompetently designed P.O.S. :P

Warmoth will solve all your ills. You won't be sorry.

Warmoth will solve all your ills. You won't be sorry.

I was looking at stewmac or warmoth.  will the warmoth...outside of drilling holes at the heel... be a proper fit, as well as for the tuners?

I was looking at stewmac or warmoth.  will the warmoth...outside of drilling holes at the heel... be a proper fit, as well as for the tuners?

Yes...heel dimensions are spot-on. Bolt holes are the only issue. They will ream out any size tuner holes you want. When you're choosing all the various options, there's a drop-down menu with manufacturer-specific hole sizes to choose from (fwiw, I wasn't in love with the stock tuners, so I went with Planet Waves auto-trims for the convenience factor...well worth the money, imho). Even if you're buying an "in-stock" neck that's already made, most of them are pre-drilled with the smallest option, and they can always go just a little bigger if need be.

EDIT: Was just checking out the site...they have a few nice options in stock (which are always cheaper than having them build you one from scratch). This one is very similar to what I got...and about $50 less than I paid. I'd grab it if I were in the market for another one...it's a good price. They make top-notch stuff.

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?Body=1&Spotlight=1&Path=Spotlight&i=VMS9288#.VYrEHUYiaAY

Yes...heel dimensions are spot-on. Bolt holes are the only issue. They will ream out any size tuner holes you want. When you're choosing all the various options, there's a drop-down menu with manufacturer-specific hole sizes to choose from (fwiw, I wasn't in love with the stock tuners, so I went with Planet Waves auto-trims for the convenience factor...well worth the money, imho). Even if you're buying an "in-stock" neck that's already made, most of them are pre-drilled with the smallest option, and they can always go just a little bigger if need be.

EDIT: Was just checking out the site...they have a few nice options in stock (which are always cheaper than having them build you one from scratch). This one is very similar to what I got...and about $50 less than I paid. I'd grab it if I were in the market for another one...it's a good price. They make top-notch stuff.

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?Body=1&Spotlight=1&Path=Spotlight&i=VMS9288#.VYrEHUYiaAY

Thanks. :)

Yeah, I was looking around myself. So many options. *confusion,lol*.  Also I notice nothing about string trees...unless they design the head for enough downward string pressure, hmmmm

I did a search of their forum and it seems that 3 of the 4 holes that are pre drilled will correspond to the 3 holes on the JTV but that 4th one will need be drilled out of course. If so, that'd save much effort

I thought I'd like the maple neck on this guitar but on reflection I'm thinking it may be too bright a wood and probably go with one of the darker sounding rosewoods or equivalent. for the fretboard. I'm even wondering how a mahogany wood neck would sound as opposed to the maple. I'm thinking a darker wood would quiet fret rattling on the acoustic models

I'm really hating the stock neck. Its impossible to get a decent action because any fret rattle, which is perfectly fine with a regular amp, is picked up and highly exaggerated on the acoustic models.... so its egg slicer territory to get rid of it. My D string sounds like a sitar fer crikes sake unless jaced up a half inch. What a POS neck. :lol:

I have to try for a $200 - 250 ish priced neck

Thanks. :)

Yeah, I was looking around myself. So many options. *confusion,lol*.  Also I notice nothing about string trees...unless they design the head for enough downward string pressure, hmmmm

I did a search of their forum and it seems that 3 of the 4 holes that are pre drilled will correspond to the 3 holes on the JTV but that 4th one will need be drilled out of course. If so, that'd save much effort

I thought I'd like the maple neck on this guitar but on reflection I'm thinking it may be too bright a wood and probably go with one of the darker sounding rosewoods or equivalent. for the fretboard. I'm even wondering how a mahogany wood neck would sound as opposed to the maple. I'm thinking a darker wood would quiet fret rattling on the acoustic models

I'm really hating the stock neck. Its impossible to get a decent action because any fret rattle, which is perfectly fine with a regular amp, is picked up and highly exaggerated on the acoustic models.... so its egg slicer territory to get rid of it. My D string sounds like a sitar fer crikes sake unless jaced up a half inch. What a POS neck. :lol:

I have to try for a $200 - 250 ish priced neck

I like the feel of the maple...actually in 25+ years of playing, it's the first maple fretboard I've owned. Everything else was either ebony or rosewood...but this suits me just fine. I doubt the choice of wood will help you with fret buzz on the acoustic models...it either buzzes or it doesn't, and the piezos are sensitive. It can be a hassle, but mine plays just great now.

Either way, you should be able to get a nice one for that price range. As long as you don't add every fancy option they offer...they usually have a bunch of plain maple necks available, sometimes a little under $200. Good luck!

Called Warmoth. Told me the vintage modern is the one that'll work and that's what I was going to get anyway.  No holes drilled. If my local tech uses a drill press I'll have him do it I suppose so the holes go straight theoretically. Think my hand drill has a center bubble level if I had to do it. :D

Can then always use the stock neck as a pizza oven paddle or a boat oar. :P

Mr Line 6.... what pray tell are the hole sizes for the tuners on a new JTV69, or ya gonna make me pull one off myself in order to measure it?

Mr Line 6.... what pray tell are the hole sizes for the tuners on a new JTV69, or ya gonna make me pull one off myself in order to measure it?

Goods luck with that. They refuse to divulge "sensitive" info...(you know, like pickup height, lol). You might as well be asking for the CEO's social security number and home address.

Goods luck with that. They refuse to divulge "sensitive" info...(you know, like pickup height, lol). You might as well be asking for the CEO's social security number and home address.

lol... I was just thinking of posting the same bit of 'sarcasm'. :D