Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is the Dream Rig done?

Wth the release of Amplifi and now Helix, none of which enhances The Dream rig, could it be that we have come to the end of the road? No worries if we have. I can get everything I need from my JTV, HD500 and DT50, DT25 and L2M but MAN.... how cool would it be to get something that was totally and specifically dedicated to taking the Dream Rig over the top!

The Dream Rig as we know it? Possibly. I can see L6 bringing out dedicated amp products for Helix, but if you're sold on the whole 'any amp, any effect, any guitar' concept the Variax is still relevant.

My rig is JTV 59-HD500-Stagesource which I love. When the POD dies I should be able to swap it out for a Helix and get even more enhanced tone with little or no hassle. If you have a DT amp Helix will talk to the DT with a  midi work around. Hopefully L6 will add DT compatibility to the Helix in FW updates.

It would be a real shame to lose the Dream Rig concept. I have never had such great tone with my FRFR Dream Rig. With Helix it should be even better, I'm just waiting for my POD to die. Trouble is mine's been bullet proof, it's even had a pint of beer spilled in it! Darn you Line 6!  :angry:

These are fun blurbs and all but it sucks that no one in the know, none of the beta testers, none of the employees, no one has anything to say. Nothing to add, no insight, NOTHING about the future of the DT series amp or the future support and future development of The Dream Rig.

Again, I am happy with what I got but I like it so much that I would welcome any future product that would enhance my rig. Would be glad to pay good money for it as well!

In the mean time, we can continue pouring liquids on our pods and feel good that it still works. I would prefer a new Pod HD1000 and a new DT50X amp. Until then, I'll pour a Jamba Juice on my pod just to cheer when it turns on!

Fun Times!

well... the ideascale vote is at 35 now... which i think is a good showing...

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/DT-amp-compatibility-for-Helix/726817-23508?submitted=1

my insight is this.... kind of obvious though...

ideascale brought us the helix... AKA everything we wanted....

no reason to believe that it can't put this through as well....

i do believe that some version is possible, if they can demonstrate (through ideascale) that it's desired then they will likely get the resources they need to make something happen...

both myself and DI have voted for this... I think that demonstrates the desire is there...

What shape would this take? As I understand it (not having a DT) the signal is tapped from the Amp model, so you are perhaps thinking a "DT Poweramp + Speaker" block that incorporates the settings for the DT and routes to the L6 output?

Not that I have anything to do with it you understand, just trying to visualize how it would work, in the mean time I am just waiting for the Check to clear before I get the stagesource

Thanks for the IdeaScale link!  Voted up.

Unless the L6 comes out with a DT type of amp (tubes with the configuration) the for the Helix, it might just be time to move on if my dream rig developes a problem or I get to point it doesn't fit my needs (hard to see that point).  The Helix looks outstanding but that FRFR system just lack something the tubes add to it, to my ears anyway.

50! :) Great idea, and totally feasible. The key - at least for my understanding - will be to concern yourself with the Bogner side of the DT - you don't really want to use the Line6 portion of the DT, since it's 'HD' era. I have a theory - which I still need to confirm - that the Mic model as MIDI configured on the DT in 'standalone' mode is what ALWAYS feeds the DT XLR output. If anyone would like to confirm, or refute that, please do!

And by ALWAYS, I mean, when you have your HD500 L6Linked to the DT. In that case, the mic model as defined in the HD500 patch does not factor into the signal chain. Since you are in 'combo poweramp' or 'stack poweramp' mode, there is no mic modeling coming from the HD, just the cab modeling is passed through. 

So, in theory, you should be able to do some pretty interesting things with coordinating the HX amp / preamp models to just the DT power / topology settings - independent from the HD amp / preamp models.

I have mentioned this before as well, not getting any 'official' response - you should also be able to disable the DT cab and mic modeling entirely, by using the MIDI to define 'no amp model' on the DT. So when you are L6Linked - I use this now with my HD500x, for JTV acoustic models to bypass all HD preamp processing - you would be sending HX amp/preamp models to the DT, pass them through DT topology / Bogner power amp, but not through HD/DT cab or mic modeling. The XLR *in theory* should still work - which could then be routed back to Helix to run through IR's or HX cab and mic model processing. *IN THEORY* all that makes sense, but I find with my more outlandish routing ideas, that theory and reality often do not agree! :)

In fact, in another thread where I was asking someone to give me the "IR 101" for people (like me) who have zero working knowledge of IR's, there was a response indicating this test should be reasonably possible without a Helix, since the bulk of the speculation revolves around how the DT responds in odd circumstances. 

Something like this should get close:

1.) use DtEdit / MIDI editor to set up a channel on your DT to have no amp model, no cab model, no mic model.

2.) use your HD500/500x,L6 linked to the DT

3.) set up the HD500 with a preamp model, and no cab model

4.) run the XLR out from the DT to a soundcard, and into some type of IR software

You can probably easily confirm the speculation that the mic model as defined on the DT in standalone mode is what feeds the DT XLR out - just use a normal patch, linked to the DT. Connect the MIDI to the DT, and using the HD500/x, set up a looper riff, in the 'pre' position (before the amp model). Record the XLR out from the DT. First, tweak the mic model settings in the HD500 patch. Then tweak the mic model settings onboard the DT using the MIDI editor. 

I believe you will find no change when you tweak the HD mic model, and you will hear changes when you tweak the DT mic model using the MIDI editor.

• 4 months later...

Please forgive my ignorance, but can someone explain to me how the dream rig works? I have a JTV-69S, an HD500 and an FRFR powered speaker from another manufacturer. If the 500 is modeling the amp and cabinet and the FRFR is faithfully reproducing it with neglegible coloration, then what would a Line 6 modeling guitar amp add to the formula that i don't already have? Just curious.

Please forgive my ignorance, but can someone explain to me how the dream rig works? I have a JTV-69S, an HD500 and an FRFR powered speaker from another manufacturer. If the 500 is modeling the amp and cabinet and the FRFR is faithfully reproducing it with neglegible coloration, then what would a Line 6 modeling guitar amp add to the formula that i don't already have? Just curious.

then what would a Line 6 modeling guitar amp add to the formula that i don't already have? Just curious.

Tubes...

Yes, the DT amps have on-board pre-amp models, but they're also actual tube amps. There's still a sizeable contingent of players who want the dynamics and feel of a genuine tube amp. With the pre-amp only models in the POD, and the ability to control the topology of the amp's power section, it gives you all the flexibility of the POD's different amp models, with a real tube amp driving a traditional guitar speaker(s). Though because they are not FRFR, the sound you'll get from the acoustic models in the JTV will suffer...just depends on what you're playing. Guys without a Variax won't care about the lack of FRFR, because they don't really "need" it.

• 4 weeks later...

The DT25 combo is the best tube amp I've owned. I sold my marshall jtv for it. just hope it's built to last. had mine for almost two years with regular gigging - in a road case and always plugged into a quality surge protector. would love to get another DT to run in stereo. 

also - if they let people log into idea scale with their line 6 account login - probably have 20 times as many votes. 

I myself am not interested in creating yet another internet account just to cast a vote. 

131 votes is pretty good and I know Digital Igloo has stated that they are aiming to release a DT integration for the first major Helix firmware upgrade. I have no idea when that will happen, but they are working on it. So far we have seen several minor firmware updates.

Till then, there are several threads on setting up the helix MIDI commands to do the switching for the DT settings. I have implemented these and it works very well. I think everyone is still trying to figure out how to make the Helix sound best with the DT amps.

For me, I use the Helix pre-amps and turn off the DT pre-amp. There are many other MIDI commands you can use to dial in the tone. You can specify cab, mic, reverb, presence, etc of the DT amp all from MIDI commands. It's quite flexible.

Right now I am trying to figure out how best to utilize the Helix cabs and IRs instead of the DT cabs.

Overall the Helix does sound better than the HD500 I had been using. I am having a great time figuring it all out.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Now this may really sound ignorant, but here goes ... Is the dt50 / helix L6 link work a round as simple as just connecting up midi cables between the the dt50 and helix? Or does it involve the tweaking of each individual preset to midi change the appropriate dt topology for the preset. Geez, you would have though their top of the line product would have already come out the gate with the same L6 functionality as the HD500, as far as communicating with the dt50. Is there a simple guide to implementing the work a round? Thanks,

I can appreciate all of the discussion of how to get Helix to work with your DT amp. But that is not the question presented in this thread.

The question at hand:

Is The Dream Rig Done? Not "How do I get Helix to work with my DT".

Remember the Dream Rig?

For those who don't remember.....file_r17490.png

Remember how simplistic it was?......

file_r17490.png

finger-pointing-up-clipart-1.jpg

That! Right there! Remember that thing!?!?

I don't want to know about some midi work around for Helix. I don't care about a new Amplifi. I don't care about IOS/Android integration. I don't want a new Firehawk, Firestone, or Firefly! This is what I want to know....Is there a New DT25X, a new POD HD1000 and a New JTV100 Variax (not a Yamaha with Variax guts) in the works? Seems to me the answer is clearly HELL NO!

So sad!

'Cause I would buy it in a heart beat!

• Upvote 1

The only good thing about all the helix hubbub, is that it will drive down the price of the DT amps. (hopefully)

...And the price of the PODS. There once was a time where I didn't  understand why I would ever purchase a POD HD500X when it really wasn't much of an upgrade from the HD500. As the price falls on those things, thanks to Helix, I'm gonna get one!

• Upvote 1

The new Helix rack website is really well done! It looks amazing! I can't wait to see the website for the new Dream Rig! The new Pod HD1000, the new DT100X amp, and the all new JTV 100 with brand new models!

That's coming soon.......right?

I can't wait!!!

• Upvote 1