Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

speakers vs amp

tylerhen

Still a little confused about something.  Is the proper way to use this directly to speakers or directly to an amp?  

Which is going to sound better?  Won't my amp affect the sound, considering this thing models other amps?  

Thanks!

Yeah, I guess ideally it's designed to run straight into a pa system or a full range flat response powered speaker (frfr)

I never liked that sound much so I dumped the powered speaker and now use a guitar amp

Any amp will colour the sound by variable amounts but if your amp has an FX loop you can plug the Firehawk into the fx return and it will bypass your amps preamp and only use the poweramp section, this will colour the sound less and you will get more of a "guitar amp" sound in my opinion

There is also four cable method (4cm) which enables you to use your amp as normal and use the Firehawk just for effects, you can then place effects before the preamp and after,there are posts on here about setting that up and I think bond did a video

Also you can plug straight into the front of your amp and engage the output switch to "amp" on the Firehawk, though personally I find that the least pleasing to my ears

As the main function of the Firehawk is to be an amp/cab simulator, it is optimum to use it with a full range powered speaker unit (basically a powered monitor), but you can also get good results with amps as well.  depending on what you have, you may have to send your firehawk out into the return on the amp (instead of guitar input- to bypass your amps preamp), or, possibly not use a cab simulator on the firehawk, because your amps speakers will have their own characteristics.

Still a little confused about something.  Is the proper way to use this directly to speakers or directly to an amp?  

Which is going to sound better?  Won't my amp affect the sound, considering this thing models other amps?  

Thanks!

1) There needs to be power somewhere...so "directly to speakers" only works those that have thier own on-board power. The various FRFR  PA or monitor options out there fit into this category. Otherwise you need either a power amp/cab rig (or a head that you can slave with a cabinet), or a combo (preferably with an effects loop to bypass the amp's pre-amp section).

2) "Better" is entirely subjective. Good, usable tones are achievable either way. I've done both...currently prefer the L2T, not only for the flexibility with the POD and JTV, but for the convenience...my spine isn't 25 years old anymore.

3) Yes...no matter what rig you choose, every component will affect the sound. Tweaking to the rig and the room is unavoidable.

Sounds like a speaker is the easy way to go.  I'm looking at PA Speakers on Guitarcenter.com.  That's what I need right?  A PA speaker?  How much do I need to spend?  Any features that are needed?  I will just be playing in my house.  Maybe with a couple friends.  No gigs or anything.

Thanks for the help 

Actually now I'm reading about frfr speakers and all the problems they are giving people.  Hmmmm.  This is getting complicated.  

So something like this would work?  http://www.guitarcenter.com/M-Audio-BX5-Carbon-Studio-Monitor--Each--110321460-i3751653.gc

Seems like if I'm going to go with this, I should first try it with my amp (Vox Valvetronix 120T) and if it sounds like crap, return it or try a speaker.  

Although I am also unhappy with having to use a phone or table to control it.  

Sounds like a speaker is the easy way to go. I'm looking at PA Speakers on Guitarcenter.com. That's what I need right? A PA speaker? How much do I need to spend? Any features that are needed? I will just be playing in my house. Maybe with a couple friends. No gigs or anything.

Thanks for the help

Actually now I'm reading about frfr speakers and all the problems they are giving people. Hmmmm. This is getting complicated.

Yes, a PA speaker will work, but not all of them are powered.

As far as problems, anything can be...but generally speaking, a solid state powered speaker should give you greater consistency and certainly less routine maintenance in the long run than a tube power amp, or combo guitar amp. No tubes to replace/re-bias, etc...ymmv

This is looking more promising.  

I've only ever played with amps.  Never even owned a speaker, as I don't play live or anything.  Seems like if you want ultimate versatility and customization, then multi-effects, amp mods, and a speaker is the way to go.  Makes sense.  It just seems weird though.  

I started using powered speakers as amps about 15 years ago, used to get some funny looks back then lol, thing is the old wharfedale I used then sounded great, better than newer ones I've tried, as it was just a cheap speaker the only thing I can put it down to is that the cabinet was made of plywood and not plastic like the ones you get now

Well I bought the HD500X and a couple of KRK Rockit 8 studio monitors.  8 inch.  I connected them with XLR but got no sound.  Working on that.  Connected them with 1/4 and got sound.

I'm blown away.  I only had time to play with it for about five minutes.  Every single thing I heard sounded better than any amp I've ever played through.  Every pre-set effect and model blew my mind.  Stuff I never heard or thought of.  Incredible.  

I am very, very impressed.  Unless playing with my friends, I can't see myself ever using my amp again.  

Thanks for all the help guys.  Can't wait to play with this stuff some more.  

I have the HD500X as stated above.  I started this thread before I chose between that and the Firehawk, so no big deal.  I'm looking at the setup guide for the HD500x.  There is a switch in the same place but it is for the FX return.  

I'll look again when I get home, but when I had the XLR's all connected, I tried every switch on the whole device and read everything I could find.  Volume is probably just too low since it's "mic level."