Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Demo Videos

Nimbas

Helix In The Studio - Vol I | Line 6: https://youtu.be/EVOSzWJiNBg

Comment from TGP by Music4dw in reference to the above video:

Digital Igloo said: â†‘
Sean > Guitar > Helix > USB > ProTools

Me > Guitar > Helix > USB > ProTools

Well, if Helix sounds bad when I get it at least I'll know what the variable is clear.png

I like Music4dw's perspective. That's a pretty honest statement, with the caveat that Sean did have some pretty nice guitars (plural) in that video.

Don't get me wrong. I was quite impressed with the video. I thought the Helix sounded great.

Still a ton of reverb and delay... just let the amps breathe man!

Don't get me wrong, I like to hear more samples, as I'm probably going to just walk into GC and buy it and make up my own mind then, but I'd love to hear some Les Paul clips.  Why does everyone use Fender-style or shredder guitars.  Plug a Les Paul in, and let's hear what that does.  Are you listening Line 6?

Yes, yes they are.  I believe.

• Upvote 1

Still a ton of reverb and delay... just let the amps breathe man!

Don't get me wrong, I like to hear more samples, as I'm probably going to just walk into GC and buy it and make up my own mind then, but I'd love to hear some Les Paul clips.  Why does everyone use Fender-style or shredder guitars.  Plug a Les Paul in, and let's hear what that does.  Are you listening Line 6?

Yes, yes they are.  I believe.

It's all still lipstick. I just hope the pig is a natural beauty in the morning. And it would be cool to hear a Duo Jet or a Ricky or something, definitely something more Gibsony, agreed. All sounding a bit early 90's boutique hair metal to me. Nostalgic but a bit nasty now.

Well, for those who want to hear the amp modeling, it is not dry enough.  For those who want to hear its FX capability, there are not enough FX on the video. 

So far, I like what I am hearing.  It is fairly balanced and it gives me a good idea of what it can do.  And even if it is not the best modeler, the UI is the winning feature for me.  I wish they would show more of those functions.  I don't know of any other modelers or amplifiers that allow you to edit the parameters of the amp (with the foot controller) while playing live on stage.  My goodness, there have been so many times on stage where I have wanted to alter the EQ or gain on the amp because it just wasn't sounding right for the room acoustics.

As far as I can tell, these videos are strictly teasers to keep us hooked.  Since the manual is not out, it is likely that they are not ready to give a full demo of its tonal capabilities, both on the amps and FXs.  But the marketing is going well...  we still want more.

How about this... a video with the Rectifier amp for instance.

Dial up a nice rock crunch tone similar to what Billy Duffy gets with The Cult.  That's a solid rock crunch sound. And I don't care what amp he actually uses. I'm just saying grab the Rec and pull up a good crunch tone on it with a Boogie 4x12...I was only using him as a sort of ballpark sound. Not interested in hearing his exact sound modeled. lol

Just the amp model and the cab. No need for ANY effect on that. Pure rock.

Then just play an "A" chord on the second fret and hit that damn guitar really hard and let it ring for a few seconds. Then a simple palm mute chunk rhythm on an F# chord.

That would tell me and a lot of other guys what the Helix sounds like right there.

Then keeping that same amp...dial the drive up all the way and play some SLOW single note lead making sure to end a phrase with the note sustaining.
Not interested in hearing noodling or how fast anyone can play. I want to hear the sound of the model and see if it has that tube sound or not.
Play a slow phrase on the bridge and then one on the neck pickup.

We've already heard the nice clean sounds. And they did sound really good on that last vid. Real good.
And we've already heard the thing drenching the guitar in heavy effects. Sounded great.

But it would be nice to show off the amp models for heavy rock like that. Minus the effects so we can hear just how good this new technology is getting the "meat" of the amp.
I've never met anyone who tested out an amp to see what it sounded like by plugging in a dozen effects and playing to a backing track. lol

But that demonstration did show how nice the Helix can sound in that environment.

Now let's hear it as an AMP! :)

• Upvote 1

Personally if I'm being picky I would like to hear some straight amp sounds and then a building of a path including basic settings one by one including EQ, delay, distortion, etc and then comboing some together.

The ONE THING that I REALLY want to see is a player using it in a real live band scenario actually changing the settings with their feet.  Honestly even if this was just slightly better than the HD500x sound wise but really nailed this editing with feet concept I would still be very interested even at this price point.  I think this ability of the helix is in every advertisement as its most important User interface feature but we have never seen it in action.  This is one aspect that really draws me to the helix and I'm sure I'm not alone on this is the ability to edit tone/volume/effect on the fly.  

You could just send me mine early and I will be glad to make the video at a live show ;)  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

I really wish Line6 would use the Variax in it's demo's. If the JTV Variax is everything Line 6 says it is, then what do they need all those guitars for?

Lol... They do use the Variax in a lot of their videos. Invariably, though, some people say, "I wish they would use guitars other than the Variax in their videos...". Line 6 simply isn't going to please everyone with these demos. It's not possible.

• Upvote 2

Lol... They do use the Variax in a lot of their videos. Invariably, though, some people say, "I wish they would use guitars other than the Variax in their videos...". Line 6 simply isn't going to please everyone with these demos. It's not possible.

That's true. You'll never please everyone; EVER. But, I would say that, coming from a business, promotional, aspect; they shouldn't use any other guitar. Coming from a JTV owner aspect, I just want see it.

• Upvote 1

A million different videos won't substitute 5 minutes with the thing in front of you.  We're going to need to hear it in the room through familiar speakers, with our own fingers on the strings.  And that opportunity will be here soon enough.

I really wish Line6 would use the Variax in it's demo's. If the JTV Variax is everything Line 6 says it is, then what do they need all those guitars for?

I've seen quite a few of their videos, for Helix and other devices, that were created with Variax or JTV guitars.  The comments, on Youtube and the forums, generally include a lot of statements like "I wish they would give us an idea what it sounds like using guitars that most of us own, like Les Paul's and Strats".  

I've seen quite a few of their videos, for Helix and other devices, that were created with Variax or JTV guitars.  The comments, on Youtube and the forums, generally include a lot of statements like "I wish they would give us an idea what it sounds like using guitars that most of us own, like Les Paul's and Strats".  

Aren't those two of the guitars the Variax purports to emulate? And Line 6 doesn't sell Les Paul's or Strats.

I don't recall any comments here like what you describe. And if there are any, I wonder if they know what the Variax does?  Even so, the Variax should come close enough to give people an idea of what the Helix can do. Besides, like mbenigni said "A million different videos won't substitute 5 minutes with the thing in front of you." So why not use your "flagship" guitar with your "flagship" amp sim?

• Upvote 1

Aren't those two of the guitars the Variax purports to emulate? And Line 6 doesn't sell Les Paul's or Strats.

I don't recall any comments here like what you describe. And if there are any, I wonder if they know what the Variax does?  Even so, the Variax should come close enough to give people an idea of what the Helix can do. Besides, like mbenigni said "A million different videos won't substitute 5 minutes with the thing in front of you." So why not use your "flagship" guitar with your "flagship" amp sim?

True you won't find those comments on the Line 6 board but, if you're interested, take a look at the almost 200 page Helix thread on TGP or even at the Youtube comments on the recent demo videos.  Personally I don't care if they demo with a JTV emulating a Strat or a real one; they both sound about the same to me.

Houston, we have a problem......

We are approaching the event horizon of the seemingly endless black hole described as the Helix. Many have already been sucked in by its tremendous gravitational force. Skipping through time and space and large amounts of cash or credit via the mystery known as "pre-order". A minute seems like a millennium. 

Hey, not to hijack this thread but can you guys include an effect pedal that produces a sonic boom? That's gonna be a deal breaker for me it I can't get "The Boom". Seriously folks, don't make me start a video campaign on youtube.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

just a quick opinion..

good and clear explanations by Paul in his demo, but regarding the tones delivered by this device in this case, I much preferred the ones given in the Sean's demos..

I liked some FXs which are really cool, and also some amps demoed, but I didn't like the introductory track sound, neither some bass strings farting tones on some amps like as an example with the twin.. reminding me some HD tones when dialed badly..

regarding the unit look, generally I would really like it, if it was not for the pedal which looks like a petrified cleaver or slicer..

Same impression here. That tone with the octavia effect was really grating. I also noticed the 'farting tones' with the Fender amp, lol.

Good to see a short demo with one of the filters. Let's see more.

For demoing the higher gain amps, something other than a Fender guitar might have been better. It didn't 'look' quite right for some reason. But they sounded good.

While the pedal is blocky looking, it looks cool. They should have intentionally made it look more like a cleaver. What exactly is a petrified cleaver anyway?

just a quick opinion..

good and clear explanations by Paul in his demo, but regarding the tones delivered by this device in this case, I much preferred the ones given in the Sean's demos..

I liked some FXs which are really cool, and also some amps demoed, but I didn't like the introductory track sound, neither some bass strings farting tones on some amps like as an example with the twin.. reminding me some HD tones when dialed badly..

regarding the unit look, generally I would really like it, if it was not for the pedal which looks like a petrified cleaver or slicer..

Agreed as well. So much time on the hi gains, which sound nice enough, especially if you're in a Ratt cover band, but so little time on stuff like Deluxe, Twin, Vox. And they didn't sound great at all. They sounded accidentally driven to an ugly point and while I really like this guy he seemed to go out of his way to make them ugly with his choices. This is perplexing. Please turn off the ping pong delay and the verb and strum a damn chord on a dry amp! It's such a thrilling prospect and the fx are sounding very close which is close enough, just need that one honest clip and I'm there.