Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix demo tones

jandrio

Still just a darn Plexi. They only seem to be demoing that tone and a Fender in the Sweetwater demo. Is this the only amp model they have "refined" right now?

not that I don't like a good Plexi tone...

All the models are done, rest assured... I just think certain players gravitate towards certain tones and amp models. I think Sean is trying to showcase the usability and workflow of the device more than certain tones. It's kind of an impossible feat trying to convey the whole range of tones that are possible. There's just so many variables. Really, I think the only way to judge a device as complex as Helix is to try it in person. I'd say that for nearly any stompbox or modeler, really.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think Sean is trying to showcase the usability and workflow of the device more than certain tones. It's kind of an impossible feat trying to convey the whole range of tones that are possible. There's just so many variables. Really, I think the only way to judge a device as complex as Helix is to try it in person. I'd say that for nearly any stompbox or modeler, really.

Exactly, relax everyone, more variety will come out - I agree with illustrating first the various important features and overall sonic improvement. Then get to the variety. When it sounds stunning on my iPhone speaker, color me impressed.

I preordered and made the leap to putting my DT25 up for sale. I yearn for simplicity and playing time - and a stunning back line that just does what I want it to. Gonna buy a Stagesource and I believe I'll be set forever.

I'd be interested in someone doing a comparison between the 5150 on an HD500X and the same on the Helix. Or amp X on a pod and amp Y on the Helix. And by same, I'm mean listing all settings used for each device, and most important, using the same cab and mic.

I realize this likely won't happen, at least not until it's actually released.

Although these videos popping up so far are nice, and appreciated, they are frankly kind of useless. Their main purpose seems to be showing off how easy the device is to tweak and that it looks pretty. And maybe some of the more advanced features, and their ease of use, might be displayed. Other than the looking pretty, this is stuff that reading the manual, when released, would do just as well.

I've noticed on this forum and at least on TGP, the effect list that was posted by DI, was retracted. This gives me hope that they are working on filling out some conspicuous holes in that list.

• Upvote 1

Guys is it just me or the sounds are very similar with here ? 

https://www.reverbnation.com/billzproject (he is line 6 member and recently posted this also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1OhPCNfPXk)

I mean, the helix is a beauty, but the tones are what matter...

It's just you, I can hear big differences. I really appreciate that they're using two classic amps without auto wah, awful studio verb and excessive overdrive (not referring to your vid btw). Most vids for these kinds of units seem to cater for modern metal, boutique soloists or teenagers. I know there's a hell of a lot of people in bands starting to get interested in not lugging enormous rigs about, purely from a financial pov, who want to know how close these things can get to behaving like a valve amp. I mean, I can hear the difference when a compressor is added to yet another flavour of HiGain but I really, really don't learn anything from it. That said, love to hear more dry amps and then very transparently added effects, one at a time, not stacked in a pre made patch called Vaitheevon or some such.

Guys is it just me or the sounds are very similar with here ? 

I mean, the helix is a beauty, but the tones are what matter...

Yeah, Until now I heard nothing that I couldn't reproduce with my HD500 soundwise. I can get really some realistic and good tones out of the HD500. I don't think the helix is that much better tone wise. In one demo he demostrates how the amp reacts when dialing down the volume knob of the guitar. I have a Marshall 800 tone, that I use pretty often and it reacts very good to the volume knob of the guitar.

Can't tell how different the feeling is. I will certainly try one in person when it comes but but probably won't buy soon.

The tones in the video actually sound excellent, but how is it hooked up? 

Is it into a couple of amps or a powered speaker that is mic'd?

I for one would like to know the recording chain for the demo.

The quality is there but how do we know the demo isnt actually into a real mic'd amp? LOLOL

The FX shown really do sound good in the video!

Cant wait to try one out in person

On the Huge Rack forum Sean said about these videos:

icon_post_target.gifby Sean Halley Â» Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:21 pm

Not HD POD, or even close. It doesn't sound like a Line 6 product, really. Different everything. 

The tones in the video are straight over USB into Pro Tools...and only a filter at 100Hz on a couple of tracks.

No offense, It sounds like a HD 500, just three times the price with colored bells and whistles. I love line 6 and have supported them from day one, but my HD 500X and DT 25 sound amazing and I will be sticking with them for the long run. The DT series is the best from line 6 and will go down as one of their best amps ever. The reviews and sales speak for themselves.

• Upvote 2

The DT series is the best from line 6 and will go down as one of their best amps ever. The reviews and sales speak for themselves.

I can agree with that part of your statement 100%

As for the HD500...it's an incredible modeler, especially for the price. But I'm gonna go with the helix and still use my dt50 with it too. I usually stick to one topography when I play live (because of the loud "pop" when it changes topography). So I'll just set it to the one I like the best and tweak slightly on the Helix to hear what I want. :)

The main thing that the DT amp does is bring the digital modeling alive with tubes. The DT will still do that with the helix (or any other modeler).

I can agree with that part of your statement 100%

As for the HD500...it's an incredible modeler, especially for the price. But I'm gonna go with the helix and still use my dt50 with it too. I usually stick to one topography when I play live (because of the loud "pop" when it changes topography). So I'll just set it to the one I like the best and tweak slightly on the Helix to hear what I want. :)

The main thing that the DT amp does is bring the digital modeling alive with tubes. The DT will still do that with the helix (or any other modeler).

I hope the helix does indeed bring magic to the DT amps.  I can't wait for the 2 hour andertons videos on you tube.  lol

I hope the helix does indeed bring magic to the DT amps.  I can't wait for the 2 hour andertons videos on you tube.  lol

Don't.. It is answered already, it is better to connect with LM than DT with Helix.

• Upvote 1

Don't.. It is answered already, it is better to connect with LM than DT with Helix.

By LM do you mean the Stagesource L2m or L3M? I don't think anyone said it was better. The DT will still sound great with the Helix. Indeed, there are Pre models of all the amps.

By LM do you mean the Stagesource L2m or L3M? I don't think anyone said it was better. The DT will still sound great with the Helix. Indeed, there are Pre models of all the amps.

Lm or LM, nevermind which, it is on 2nd and 3rd page of Helix FAQ. There are pre models, but what I read is that it will not provide the same with the HD to DT functionality.

It won't dot the power amp switching through L6 link but you can do that through a standard midi cable. Of course that means one extra cable but that shouldn't be a complete deal breaker. As I understand, with the midi cable almost everything possible with the PODHD500-DT combo will be possible on the Helix-DT combo. Only some outlandish configurations with four DT amps and such will stay out of reach.

of course it would be ideal if everything worked with just the L6 Link but you get the needed functionality and the sound will be great, what's the big deal?

• Upvote 1

Lm or LM, nevermind which, it is on 2nd and 3rd page of Helix FAQ. There are pre models, but what I read is that it will not provide the same with the HD to DT functionality.

Helix doesn't provide the automatic topology and class switching right now, but you can still either set the DT to whatever of those sounds the best or you could control those via MIDI. I would like to see that be added back into the L6 Link connection if possible, too. All I'm saying is that the DT will still sound great with the Helix.

Helix doesn't provide the automatic topology and class switching right now, but you can still either set the DT to whatever of those sounds the best or you could control those via MIDI. I would like to see that be added back into the L6 Link connection if possible, too. All I'm saying is that the DT will still sound great with the Helix.

My bad then. Sorry!

• 2 months later...