Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500 Vs Hd500x

gregap_42

I bought an HD500 at GuitarCenter tonight.  I was super excited to get it home and play with it, but when I went to register it I realized that Line6 is releasing the HD500x.  Very frustrating!

Does anyone know what exactly the difference is?  I'm not usually the guy that has to have the newest of everything, but the quality of the models seems to improve by leaps and bounds each time there's a new product.  I guess that's the point, but I'd like the best possible tone for my money.

Any help/info would be appreciated...especially from Line6 employees.

Hi Gregap_42,

Can't you take it back and get a refund?  They should have told you about this at the store.  I'm in Canada so I don't know about their return policy but many stores here would take it back if you have all the packaging and do it within the next day or so.

Having said that, I have an HD500 and enjoy it.   From what I've read the 500x gives you more processing power and better foot switches but not much else.  Hopefully you at least got it at a reduced price.

cheers

I'll post this question here, as it seems like an appropriate thread. I've used Pods for several years, starting with a Floor Pod Plus, then the X3 Live, and at present, I've been using a HD500 for a little over a year.

I love my HD500, and I don't think I would ever go back to a traditional guitar rig. However, I've got one issue with it. The Fender Twin Reverb HD is my favorite amp. However, I don't care for the way it distorts when just using the drive controls for the amp. It's my natural inclination to use a distortion stompbox in front of the amp in the signal chain. But, the designers assumed that if you were going to use a distortion stompbox in front of the amp, that you would want the stompbox to overdrive the amp itself, but that is absolutely not the case for me. I want the distortion sound of the stompbox CLEANLY processed through the amp (again, because I don't like the distortion characteristics of the amp). To compensate, I switched the signal chain where the stompbox is after the amp in the chain, but I think it would sound better if it was in front.

So my question is, does anyone know if the HD500x will let a distortion stompbox be in front of the amp in the signal chain and it not cause distortion in the amp itself?

Take the HD500 back to guitar center for a refund and be sure to educate the manager on why you returned it. Any guitar store worth their own salt should have warned you about this new model 1st, and then made a customer for a life time.  Either they don't have a clue, or don't care to have one and instead try to make money, instead of return customers. I'll never figure that mindset out. The latter "always" takes care of itself. Let them know why you returned it. 

• Upvote 1

To zoomstrat: I thought the tube screamer worked well in front of the amp. I zero the drive on the amp and dime the volume. With two tube screamers in front, one driving 16% the other at 35%, I get pretty sweet distortion. I use the boost compressor to overdrive the ac30 model cuz I like the tube distortion of the el84s. Do you run direct to pa?

To Zoomstrat,

I recently switched from a traditional rig to the HD500 series.  On my traditional rig, I ran a few different overdrive stomp boxes into a big clean Fender amp.  I used the stomp boxes for the distortion sound and left the amp clean.  This is always just what sounded best to my ears.

When I switched to the HD500, I dialed it in to sound just like my live rig (got really close) and just like the live rig, I use the Fender Twin on a great clean tone with overdrives (tube screamer and tube driver) for the distortion tone.  I also use the Line 6 Drive in place of my fuzz for solo boost.

I've only had one really nice amp, the big Fender, and I never cared for the way the amp's distortion sounded.  But its clean tones are AWESOME!  And the overdrive pedals always sounded fantastic, so I went with that.  The HD500 is set up the same.

Have fun!

I just purchased a 500x this past weekend, and I have owned the 500 since it's release.  So the X sounds exactly the same you just can work it more because of the extra processing.  I am selling my old 500 to a friend and for him where he does not use a lot of complicated setups as neither does another friend of mine; upgrading is not really going to give them a lot. 

But for me I usually have a couple of patches that require a lot of effects, that I now can do with the 500x.  The example would be I now have a patch with a screamer -> split pitch glides (one +12 the other -12) -> Amp -> 2 delays -> to Spring Reverb.  That was never possible before, but now it is. 

The only other noticeable change is the footswitches.  I do like the circle of light round the switches, but they feel the same to me and sound the same.

If you got the 500 for 400$ and these changes are worth 100$ then go for it.  If you got the 500 and you paid 500$ I would exchange it.  You should have 2 weeks or 30 days I can't remember.

I bought an HD500 at GuitarCenter tonight.  I was super excited to get it home and play with it, but when I went to register it I realized that Line6 is releasing the HD500x.  Very frustrating!

Does anyone know what exactly the difference is?  I'm not usually the guy that has to have the newest of everything, but the quality of the models seems to improve by leaps and bounds each time there's a new product.  I guess that's the point, but I'd like the best possible tone for my money.

Any help/info would be appreciated...especially from Line6 employees.

I just purchased a 500x this past weekend, and I have owned the 500 since it's release.  So the X sounds exactly the same you just can work it more because of the extra processing.  I am selling my old 500 to a friend and for him where he does not use a lot of complicated setups as neither does another friend of mine; upgrading is not really going to give them a lot. 

But for me I usually have a couple of patches that require a lot of effects, that I now can do with the 500x.  The example would be I now have a patch with a screamer -> split pitch glides (one +12 the other -12) -> Amp -> 2 delays -> to Spring Reverb.  That was never possible before, but now it is. 

The only other noticeable change is the footswitches.  I do like the circle of light round the switches, but they feel the same to me and sound the same.

If you got the 500 for 400$ and these changes are worth 100$ then go for it.  If you got the 500 and you paid 500$ I would exchange it.  You should have 2 weeks or 30 days I can't remember.

I work for guitar center (for another week or so. I got a different job and I'm going to miss my employee discount!!!). You have 30 days to return the item. If you got the Pro Coverage, you have 60 days to return it. I'd return it and get the HD500X. 

I am more than shocked that Guitar Center of all places would ever sell anyone anything that they didn't need or a product for full price knowing that it was already marked down in their computers because a new model was about to be released. Their employees seem to be so knowledgeable about all matters pertaining to the guitar and would never steer you in the wrong direction....oh wait, yeah it's Guitar Center....duh.

You have a 30 day window to return it to the store. If they try to charge you a restocking charge tell them where to put it. That you were sold a product at full price when it was already marked down online and that you want it for an even exchange for the HD500X. If they give you any grief about their systems not being networked to the online pricing (which they might) tell them that's total BS. I know for a fact that their systems are completely set up from home office, to distribution to the retail stores. This ain't 1998 anymore.

It's always smart to purchase anything from GC with a credit card, that way you can dispute charges with the CC company. Can't really do that with a debit card.

As I read somewhere else on this board, sonically the units sound the same, technically they allowed for deeper editing for more complicated DSP, however, I would have hoped that they would have increased the looping time, even by tripling it, it still wouldn't come close to the capacity of the JM4, which someone noted that the increase of looping time would encroach on JM4 sales... bullocks! 

If you're going to put out something new, make it a game changer, not a polished turd. 

What they've done is like going to a nice restaraunt and ordering pasta with alfredo and it comes to the table with red sauce... they take it back into the kitchen, rinse the red sauce off, put the alfredo on it, re-heat it in the microwave and re-serve it to you.

no exactly the same editing... just hits the dsp wall slightly later...

and it's more... for the same money....

its not intended as an upgrade for current users... although there will be some that want it.... (i mean who doesn't.... but want is not need)

and by you're analogy... this is the equivalent of getting served pasta.... and being able to take a few more bites before you're full... same pasta.

As I read somewhere else on this board, sonically the units sound the same, technically they allowed for deeper editing for more complicated DSP,