Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix routing

ge31

Hi All, How will be the routing management ? the same as on POD HD ? Two stereo path ? Thanks

It's somewhat similar to the HD, but one big difference is that it's easier to see where you're running in mono and where you're running in stereo. There are mono and stereo version of most effects (there are some effects that are only stereo - the reverbs for instance, and other effects). But what this means is that if you want to run a simple mono path, it's very easy to set it up that way, and you don't have to worry about whether an effect is mono or stereo and what's happening to you're signal. You'll know because mono effects are in a different menu that stereo effects. Even this description makes it sound way more confusing than it actually is. It will make perfect sense once you see the Helix UI.

Just out of interest... what exactly is a stereo Spring Reverb?  :)

I presume that spring is mono and that Room (variation) Reverbs are stereo

Well, some stereo effects have more of a stereo spread than others, but the Spring reverb is still a stereo effect - each side is processed independently. It means that if you have another stereo effect before it in the signal chain, it will preserve the stereo image. So you could put something like the Ping Pong delay in front of the '63 Spring, and you'd still hear the delay like you expected.

• Upvote 1

Thanks - I have only been familiar with mono spring reverbs built into amps, so is that stereo as in L and R are processed separately through 2 spring reverbs e.g. no trace of L on the R output or is that L and R are passed through with L + R being fed into a single spring and the result mixed with L and R so that while the delays from the Ping Pong are still hard L or R there is a trace of reverb from the delay found on the other side?

Just curiosity really because I run mono anyway! Unless the L2T that arrives tomorrow is so good I just have to get another one, in which case I will be very tempted even if the only person who hears the stereo effect is me.. 

Helix has two primary stereo paths—1 and 2—each of which can be:

• Serial—1 input block to 1 output block
  • Parallel—1 input block, split and merged before the 1 output block
  • Parallel—2 input blocks, merged to 1 output block
  • Parallel—1 input block split to 2 output blocks
  • True Parallel (dual serial)—2 input blocks to 2 output blocks

The last one is how you get four stereo signal paths. Path 1 blocks can be routed to Path 2 blocks, and depending on where your splits and merges are, Paths 1A, 1B, 2A, and 2B can be set up for "Super Serial", where they all get routed into one gigantic 32-block path. You won't fill all 32 blocks tho', unless you really like EQs, gains, and volume pedals.

All routing is accomplished from the Home screen. It's as simple as selecting an Output bock and then turning the joystick to select its destination. Pushing the joystick displays available destinations in a list.

So how does this work with the external loops? I am thinking of running my Kemper through the Helix but still be able to use some of the KPA stereo effects. So would I use send 1 to go to the KPA and then patch the stereo main outputs back to return's 1 and 2 on the Helix? Would that correspond to the Parallel 1 input block to 2 output block path?

Cheers,

jayson

So how does this work with the external loops? I am thinking of running my Kemper through the Helix but still be able to use some of the KPA stereo effects. So would I use send 1 to go to the KPA and then patch the stereo main outputs back to return's 1 and 2 on the Helix? Would that correspond to the Parallel 1 input block to 2 output block path?

Sure. You wouldn't even need to waste a block location because outputs can be set to Send pairs and inputs can be set to Return pairs. Or if you wanted to place the Kemper somewhere specific, a stereo FX Loop block can be placed anywhere on any path.

Hi

So is it possible to turn off amp modeling and do a scenario as follows.

1 - Guitar in with dynamics/distortion/Pitch Shift effects going out to the front end of amp.

2 - Effects send from Amp to helix through Chorus/Delay/Reverb to effects Return of amp.

I.E will Helix act as any other pedalboard setup?

So is it possible to turn off amp modeling and do a scenario as follows.

1 - Guitar in with dynamics/distortion/Pitch Shift effects going out to the front end of amp.

2 - Effects send from Amp to helix through Chorus/Delay/Reverb to effects Return of amp.

I.E will Helix act as any other pedalboard setup?

Sounds like 4CM (four cable method), so yes. You can also do 7CM with two amps or 10CM with three amps.

• 3 months later...

Anyone switch from the HD500X using the L6 into a DT50 to a Helix? If so, any way to transfer (tried several things with no luck) from HD to Helix? Also I use a 1/4" into the HD and an XLR from HD to amp. I tried the same with the Helix and it doesn't appear to be able to work that way OR (and more likely) I am doing something wrong. Any insights, suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

• 5 months later...

Helix has two primary stereo paths—1 and 2—each of which can be:

• Serial—1 input block to 1 output block
  • Parallel—1 input block, split and merged before the 1 output block
  • Parallel—2 input blocks, merged to 1 output block
  • Parallel—1 input block split to 2 output blocks
  • True Parallel (dual serial)—2 input blocks to 2 output blocks

The last one is how you get four stereo signal paths. Path 1 blocks can be routed to Path 2 blocks, and depending on where your splits and merges are, Paths 1A, 1B, 2A, and 2B can be set up for "Super Serial", where they all get routed into one gigantic 32-block path. You won't fill all 32 blocks tho', unless you really like EQs, gains, and volume pedals.

All routing is accomplished from the Home screen. It's as simple as selecting an Output bock and then turning the joystick to select its destination. Pushing the joystick displays available destinations in a list.

All sounds so simple. However I had to be clever (read ignorant).

I used one (2nd "lower") input for guitar (dedicated "guitar pad" so what does that actually mean on the description I mean why is it not just called "guitar"). The output (after some beautiful blocks creating beautiful sound with some magnificent Vox 30 amp and Stereo Chorus and Simple delay) creating a fantastic clean sound, I routed to AES out (labelled 101 on the home screen).

The other channel is for Ipad which I implemented via input selecting "Return 1/2" for a stereo input from Ipad through one "Gain" block (so I can switch off the backing track via FS) and straight out to AES (indicates "101" on the home screen.)

Now I have two AES (L6 Link) outputs (both indicating 101 on home screen).

From my Helix I connect obviously then via AES out to two L3T's.  One cable to speaker no one and then output from AES to 2nd speaker.

Now heres my problem:

The L3T's indicate L and R on the rear until I energise the Helix and then speakers change to indicate 1 and 2.  I think this is no longer stereo then?

I use all block after the amp as stereo blocks so the top output to "101" should be stereo?

I use one simple volume/gain block which I assume is stereo on the 2nd line.

So is my mistake that I have two 101 output blocks effectively going via one AES cable out to 1st L3T?

So should I (can I?) connect (merge) the lower output from volume/gain block to the same 101 output of the upper string?

Is the fact that I use two 101 output blocks confusing the Helix AES output such that it thinks this is mono?

I am new here and new to Line 6 but oh man is the sound stunning which I am getting out of this equipment. Hank Marvin is already having sleepless nights :)

If you're using 110-Ohm AES/EBU cables with two L3ts, it's better to select Output > Multi blocks, which include L6 LINK. If two L3ts are daisy-chained via L6 LINK, they should automatically become stereo (even if their displays say 1 and 2, I believe). From one of the Output blocks, turn Knob 1 (Pan) hard left or right and you should hear that reflected correctly between your speakers.

If you're using 110-Ohm AES/EBU cables with two L3ts, it's better to select Output > Multi blocks, which include L6 LINK. If two L3ts are daisy-chained via L6 LINK, they should automatically become stereo (even if their displays say 1 and 2, I believe). From one of the Output blocks, turn Knob 1 (Pan) hard left or right and you should hear that reflected correctly between your speakers.

Thank you Igloo,

I just needed confirmation that labeled 1 & 2 does not imply mono operation but still stereo on the L3ts.

I see no point in processing other I/O than the ones I use. And from my understanding the most simple is the Line6 Link which is one cable from Helix to 1st L3t and then one cable from there to the second L3T.

Since at this time I have my two L3ts stacked on top of each other (space limitation) I could not really confirm stereo output via listening.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I heavily rely on MainStage for certain fx and synth.. how many times can the gt signal go in and out of my MacBookPro through usb? I mean.. Can I go from Helx to the computer with dry signal, put some fx on it in MainStage, go back to Helix and after that to my amp, then back into Helix, to Mainstage again and meanwhile send a stereo feed to the final stage of Helix from the computer?

I hope this is clear..

Best

Tommaso

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

Can anyone help me with my lack of knowledge?

I want to run my Helix with JVM with 4CM and wet/dry/wet.

How can I get stereo output while still mic up my amp?

Is there a way to get the stereo output straight from Helix and only using 1 channel to PA's mixer?

So my amp will be the dry signal.

Cheers

All sounds so simple. However I had to be clever (read ignorant).

I used one (2nd "lower") input for guitar (dedicated "guitar pad" so what does that actually mean on the description I mean why is it not just called "guitar"). The output (after some beautiful blocks creating beautiful sound with some magnificent Vox 30 amp and Stereo Chorus and Simple delay) creating a fantastic clean sound, I routed to AES out (labelled 101 on the home screen).

The other channel is for Ipad which I implemented via input selecting "Return 1/2" for a stereo input from Ipad through one "Gain" block (so I can switch off the backing track via FS) and straight out to AES (indicates "101" on the home screen.)

Now I have two AES (L6 Link) outputs (both indicating 101 on home screen).

From my Helix I connect obviously then via AES out to two L3T's.  One cable to speaker no one and then output from AES to 2nd speaker.

Now heres my problem:

The L3T's indicate L and R on the rear until I energise the Helix and then speakers change to indicate 1 and 2.  I think this is no longer stereo then?

I use all block after the amp as stereo blocks so the top output to "101" should be stereo?

I use one simple volume/gain block which I assume is stereo on the 2nd line.

So is my mistake that I have two 101 output blocks effectively going via one AES cable out to 1st L3T?

So should I (can I?) connect (merge) the lower output from volume/gain block to the same 101 output of the upper string?

Is the fact that I use two 101 output blocks confusing the Helix AES output such that it thinks this is mono?

I am new here and new to Line 6 but oh man is the sound stunning which I am getting out of this equipment. Hank Marvin is already having sleepless nights :)

Just so you can get your head around your output, I highly recommend setting up a truly stereo signal (i.e. one clean amp left, one distorted amp right) and then pan your last output block left and right.  I discovered an issue by doing this.

I had connected my L2t with XLR left (mono)(note the hint here), and to the front of my amp clean channel with 1/4 Right (I tried an XLR with an XLR to TRS 1/4 adapter to my amp, but signal level to the amp was way too low and distorted), and it turned out that the signal to the L2t was the summed to mono signal.

So I realized if you want stereo left, you have to connect to both sides of either the 1/4 or XLR, or both.  I didn't try just connecting an empty XLR to the right to fool the Helix.

Point is, when setting up your signal path, make sure you pan left and right and get what you expect.